#1 Posted by fojtikbt (94 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Marvel and DC comics, but I was wondering if there were any comics not about superheroes that are really good? I read the first issue of The Walking Dead and loved it, but that is the only non-superhero comic I have ever read. Any suggestions of what to read?

#2 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4219 posts) - - Show Bio

Fables is the only ongoing non-superhero series I've really been taken with. I would highly recommend it even though it might not be for everyone. The first TPB is probably the slowest out of the bunch, but once you get into the second one it really takes off. There are seventeen trades at the moment which may seem a little overwhelming but each one is truly great IMO.

#3 Posted by The_Tree (7246 posts) - - Show Bio

My top pick for a non-superhero book is Transmetropolitan, I can't recommend it enough.

I also recommend:

• Chew
  • The Strange Talent of Luther Strode (some may consider it to be a bit superhero-y, I don't necessarily think it falls into the category)
  • Who is Jake Ellis?
  • The Red Wing
  • The Nobody
  • Scott Pilgrim
#4 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

@DoomDoomDoom said:

Fables is the only ongoing non-superhero series I've really been taken with. I would highly recommend it even though it might not be for everyone. The first TPB is probably the slowest out of the bunch, but once you get into the second one it really takes off. There are seventeen trades at the moment which may seem a little overwhelming but each one is truly great IMO.

I agree, someone on here got me reading this. And i absolutely love it.

#5 Posted by winfred (111 posts) - - Show Bio

check out lucifer morningstar

#6 Posted by coolguyr99 (3019 posts) - - Show Bio

Morning Glories

Sweet Tooth

Y: The Last Man

Preacher

#7 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4219 posts) - - Show Bio

@The_Tree said:

My top pick for a non-superhero book is Transmetropolitan, I can't recommend it enough.

I also recommend:

• Chew
  • The Strange Talent of Luther Strode (some may consider it to be a bit superhero-y, I don't necessarily think it falls into the category)
  • Who is Jake Ellis?
  • The Red Wing
  • The Nobody
  • Scott Pilgrim

I'll second Chew and The Red Wing! I heard a lot of good things about Chew when it came out but I just never picked it up. About a three months ago me and my girlfriend were in our LCS and she picked it up. After overhearing her chuckle and giggle so often while reading it I just had to check it out . The Red Wing was great too, something you'll definitely find yourself reading over and over again.

#8 Posted by 8bitGangsta (392 posts) - - Show Bio

Walking Dead

Scott Pilgrim

Level up

#9 Posted by The_Tree (7246 posts) - - Show Bio

@DoomDoomDoom said:

@The_Tree said:

I also recommend:

• Chew
  • Who is Jake Ellis?
  • The Red Wing
  • The Nobody
  • Scott Pilgrim

I'll second Chew and The Red Wing! I heard a lot of good things about Chew when it came out but I just never picked it up. About a three months ago me and my girlfriend were in our LCS and she picked it up. After overhearing her chuckle and giggle so often while reading it I just had to check it out . The Red Wing was great too, something you'll definitely find yourself reading over and over again.

High-five!

I started to read Chew about a year ago, I saw coverage on it from watching SDCC and I thought it sounded interesting and funny, so I just leapt in. It's hilarious and brilliant, just so incredibly original. And I read The Red Wing this summer, it's some of that great high-concept sci-fi that Jonathan Hickman does oh so well.

#10 Posted by thespideyguy (2645 posts) - - Show Bio

Axe cop

#11 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4219 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by SaintOfKillers (61 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandman

#13 Posted by YoungJustice (6693 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Pilgrim. That is all................

#14 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (5772 posts) - - Show Bio

The Sandman 
Fables

#15 Posted by FrankenKong (234 posts) - - Show Bio

The Ferals and Fanboys Vs. Zombies are good reads.

#16 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

If it counts, TMNT

#17 Posted by TintoPress (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Homesick by Jason Walz www.jasonwwalz.com

Blankets by Craig Thompson

EightBall by Dan Clowes

#18 Posted by Perethorn (3212 posts) - - Show Bio

#19 Edited by Dabee (2380 posts) - - Show Bio

Great Pacific and Clone are two really good (fairly new) titled by Skybound/Image that I think are really really good. Both are at around issue 6, so the first trade should be coming out soon. Issues 7 should also be coming out soon of both.

Great Pacific is basically the story of a kid who fakes his own death after inheriting a buttload of money, and takes it to go build a country on a pile of trash. It's a lot deeper than that, but I don't want to give anything away. It's really really great. Great art, great writing!

Clone is about a guy who discovers there are hundreds of clones of himself, and that they don't all want to live in peace with the others. Pretty much they all look the same, but they are still very distinguishable. Basically the guy has to deal with clones of himself trying to kill him, in really short terms. Again, a lot deeper, but don't want to give it away. And also again, great art, great writing!

Among others, I highly recommend these two. It's just that they should be really easy to catch up on rather than something already @100 issues or more. I haven't really gotten around to reading a whole lot of the new stuff yet, but I've heard great things about East of West, and Manhattan Projects (both by Johnathan Hickman.) I read Chew, The Walking Dead, Luther Strode, all of that is great too, but nobody was mentioning Clone or Great Pacific. I just don't want to restate what everyone else is saying is all. I'm not leaving anyone out. ;-)

Oh yeah, also Mind MGMT is really good too. Issue 11 comes out soon. Really really good! :-D

#20 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5967 posts) - - Show Bio

#21 Edited by ccraft (5078 posts) - - Show Bio

@fojtikbt:

X-O Manowar; Valiant Comics/ type Action/Sci-fi

Shadowman; Valiant Comics/ type horror/mystery

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles; IDW Comics

Hellboy; Dark Horse Comics/ Top 3 on IGN best Indie Books

"Each offers a signature blend of supernatural adventure, humor, and gorgeously moody visuals. Hellboy manages to appeal to readers of all types. Those craving mystery and conspiracy will find plenty."

You might want to look into Dynamite Comics, with characters such as Green Hornet & Kato, The Shadow, The Spider, Black Bat,

Miss Fury, Zorro, and others. If your interested in those characters try the comic Masks it has all this characters in the book. And amazing art by Alex Ross!!

Side Note: Right click on the image/ then click "open link in new tab'' to view the image bigger.

#22 Posted by flazam (2471 posts) - - Show Bio

@fojtikbt: well......................

• Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is great
  • X-O Manwar very sci fi
  • Shadowman is horror and mystical
  • Quantum and Woody is a new Valiant Comic starting soon it looks Really Funny
  • Abe Sabien
  • Hellboy
  • Miss Fury
  • Black Bat
  • Green Hornet
#23 Posted by longbowhunter (6811 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything by Jeff Lemire. Essex County, Sweet Tooth, Underwater Welder. I've really been digging Terry Moore's recent work like Echo and Rachel Rising. Locke & Key is magnificent.

#24 Posted by Ary_Hernandez (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Game of Thrones series

The Dark Tower Series

The Walking Dead series

Avatar The Last Airbender comics

#25 Posted by Jayc1324 (10003 posts) - - Show Bio

Sandman. Preacher. And keep reading the walking dead

#26 Posted by Toastergeist (237 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently, The Wake.

#27 Posted by Squares (4967 posts) - - Show Bio

Chew.

#28 Edited by JakeN7 (11257 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: Literally all of those are superhero books, more or less.

Anyways...

PUNK.ROCK.JESUS!!!! Read it now!

The Wake and Saga are also great choices.

EDIT: Didn't realize this thread was so old.