• 91 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Welcome to this week's Best Battles! This is the spot where we praise the best fights that took place in all of the latest comics. There's been more than a few times where I've said something along the lines of, "Oh man, this was a tough week to pick 3 favorites!" Well, those were likely very, very easy compared to this past Wednesday.

This week, we have fights with Wolverine, Young Cyclops, Batman, Hulk, Deathstroke, Daredevil, Captain America, Punisher, Venom and much more. So, I made my selections the most logical way I could think of: eenie meenie miney mo. But really, I think this trio of fights was the most fun and had the most variety.

Grab some popcorn and enjoy the slugfests.

...Unless you're still super upset about Spider-Man... then you might wanna back out now because he's in not one, but two of these.

THAR BE SPOILERS AHEAD!

Superior Spider-Man vs Wolverine

Spider-Man vs Wolverine has always been a vicious debate. Spider-Man has agility, speed, reflexes, strength and webbing on his side. However, Wolverine has superior skill, insane durability and a healing factor, and those pointy claws on his side. Usually, opinions are divided, but it's reasonable to think Wolverine could eventually win -- and many comic creators have agreed with that. Peter's morals play a big role in his methods and because of this, he tends to hold back a good deal. Wolverine, on the other hand, might not worry about thrusting those claws into Pete's torso (like he has once before in training). Both have a means for victory (for example, Spider-Man can incapacitate him with webbing), but Wolverine's ability to stay in the fight and turn the tide with one hit is key and that's how it has been written numerous time before.

Now, "Peter" is no longer in control of his body -- Otto Octavius is. This formerly flabby villain isn't a fan of holding back, so how does a no holds barred version of Spider-Man fare against the deadly X-Man? It takes place in latest issue of AVENGING SPIDER-MAN and Wolverine fans might want to cover their eyes. James gets in "Peter's" face, and, as you can see below, Otto won't stand for being talked down to or being touched.

The uppercut heard around the world.
The uppercut heard around the world.

Alright, it's clearly on after an uppercut like that. There's no way this scenario will now turn into talking it out. Otto-Man has thrown the first strike and Wolverine definitely isn't going to take this sitting down. Despite taking a hit like that to the jaw and clearly being all kinds of pissed off ("RRRAAAA!"), Logan keeps the claws in and tries to give Spider-Man a punch of his own. But Spider-Man's superior stats render him virtually untouchable now, especially because he's going all out. Sorry, Logan, but you're about to suffer a rather vicious beat down.

So much for superior skill.
So much for superior skill.

Even if you don't like Wolverine, you can't help but feel bad for him as he's humiliated. Just look at his face when Spider-Man grabs him by the throat. Poor dude looks beyond confused and helpless.

Spider-Man's finishing move: the super facepalm of destruction.
Spider-Man's finishing move: the super facepalm of destruction.

Yeesh, that was just about as one-sided as a fight can get. Viners, do you think an unleashed Spidey would wreck Wolverine... or do you think Wolverine would edge it out? Personally, I agree with this outcome considering Superior was going all out and Wolverine was clearly restraining himself.

Robin vs "Batman"

Okay, the twist here was obvious since last issue's cliffhanger but that didn't make this battle any less powerful. There's no real tension when it comes to who's behind the cowl, but that really doesn't matter to me. The brilliant element here is the tight focus on Damian's emotional conflict. We're pretty certain that's not his dad, but we're not in his shoes. For him, it's kill or be killed against his father.

Who says Batman never smiles?
Who says Batman never smiles?

Joker's influence slows the Caped Crusader's reflexes and Damian goes to down on the Dark Knight in a non-lethal manner. It's tons of fun to watch and that's mainly a credit to Pat Gleason's amazing artwork. The motions feel fluid and his detail on Batman and the Joker is legitimately creepy.

Tap out, Batman!
Tap out, Batman!

The 10 year-old Robin quickly realizes he's just a pawn in Joker's twisted game, so he seeks to change the scenario. He finds a way out of the caged area, but unfortunately the entire Zoo appears to be Joker's play place. There's no escape for Robin.

Who wouldn't want to kiss that beautiful man?
Who wouldn't want to kiss that beautiful man?

The two end up in the Polar Bear section and duke it out underwater. Damian clearly can't match Batman in terms of strength, so he relies on cooler and cheaper tactics, like a headbutt. All that does is annoy him, though, and Damian is promptly thrown out of the freezing water.

Bat-headbutt > any other strike.
Bat-headbutt > any other strike.

What happens next is too fantastic for words. So, instead of babbling about it, I'll just get right to showing you the overwhelming amount of awesomeness.

So much win is going on here. So much.
So much win is going on here. So much.

After a flurry of strikes that would make Barry Allen feel slow, Damian tops it off with one heck of an uppercut.

SHORYUKEN!
SHORYUKEN!

After all that the little Boy Wonder dished out, Batman's still standing and laughing uncontrollably. Joker wants Damian to cross the line and, for a moment, it seemed as though he would. After all, he's the Robin with quite a dark past. Yet in the moment that truly matters, Damian shows true bravery... he'd rather die at his father's hand than kill him himself.

Damian is in dire need of a hug after this one.
Damian is in dire need of a hug after this one.

As I'm sure you already gussed, that's not really Batman under the mask and Joker sets off a trap that stops "Batman" before he can deliver the killing blow. Now, on to more pressing matters... what the hell is on that tray?

Superior Spider-Man / Daredevil vs Stilt-Man

Superior Spider-Man and Daredevil have a brief scuffle across the rooftops of New York, but that's totally trivial because something far more spectacular happens next: Stilt-Man makes a grand return! The identity of this new fearsome foe is never revealed, but it's safe to say it can't be the original seeing as he took a rocket to the groin and even had a funeral service. But hey, crazier stuff has happened in comics just about every other day. So hold onto hope, Stilters.

SUPERIOR STILT-MAN! Make that title happen, Marvel!
SUPERIOR STILT-MAN! Make that title happen, Marvel!

Like he bluntly points out, Stilt-Man has undergone some upgrades. His arms are now extendable and stronger. Superior Octopus-Man gets to experience that first-hand while Daredevil focuses on saving the people in the falling helicopter. A webbing net later and the people are saved and it's time to focus on one of the greatest villains ever. Because... you know... he's a bad guy... on stilts. Awesome, right?

Tub of Lard-Man has a nice ring to it.
Tub of Lard-Man has a nice ring to it.

It turns out this new Stilt-Man has "borrowed" Doc Oc's technology to create those fancy new arms. Now that technology has come back to bite Otto in the butt -- or, in this case, in the shoulder. Enjoy the following scene and the delightfully creative sound effect.

Bow down before Stilt-Man's raw might!
Bow down before Stilt-Man's raw might!

Daredevil puts an end to playtime as he uses his enhanced senses and radar to locate a weak point in the bad guy's armor. He discovers Stilt-Man's control center, equips his batons and goes for the gold. The end result is this ridiculously good splash page.

Say
Say "hello" to your new wallpaper.

Stilt-Man then babbles about how the control center will automatically repair, but unfortunately for him, Spider-Man pretty much says "no way" to that. One superhuman punch later and it's goodbye, auto repair.

THE DIE IS CAST!
THE DIE IS CAST!

My knight in shining armor has been defeated yet again. One day Stilt-Man will return with an upgrade so powerful that only Squirrel Girl will be able to challenge him.

Honorable Mentions

What are your top 3 and why? Sound off!
What are your top 3 and why? Sound off!

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine & IGN Entertainment. Don't forget to go be his pal on Twitter.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

How much of the Avenging Spider-Man was the giant creepy spider he had to fight? And how much was Spider-Man versus the X-Men and Wolverine?

Atomiic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Atomiic

This wasn't the best week for Wolverine....

EscGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By EscGamer

@ArtisticNeedham: It was pretty much half and half. It was a great issue, I definitely recommend it for a read.

Gregg Katzman captions always makes me laugh. The SHORYUKEN! line on Damian and The Super Facepalm of Destruction on SSM had me laughing pretty bad lol. good picks

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By Ganthetsward20

That Wolverine moment when he realizes "Parker" just beat him...priceless. And the Joker with Batman and Robin was pretty kick ass too.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By ComicStooge

Damian is now my favorite Robin.

Target_X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By Target_X

I do not think Damian's fight was that great. <.< The action was cool, but the plausibility was not.

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By DATNIGGA

Spiderman unrestrained > Logan

I always knew it

pxiao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By pxiao

One of the funniest moment was when Daredevil called Otto a tube of lard. He notes that Spider-Man was grinding his teeth, that was hilarious

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#9  Edited By Deadcool

@Atomiic said:

This wasn't the best week for Wolverine....

There is never a good week for Wolverine.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#10  Edited By Lvenger

Once again you've picked some great battles Gregg! The Damian vs 'Batman' fight was packed with raw emotion though I'm sure it wasn't Bruce. And even with Logan's better skill, if Spidey were willing to go all out like he did here, he should be able to beat Logan IMO.

Batnandez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Batnandez

wolverine would win via being indestructible, having a healing factor and having his claws. spidey's webs would be useless

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Loki2u

I loved seeing Wolverine taking a beating! It was deserved. Spidey has claws of his own now which adds a new element.

There was an awesome moment a few panels later where Spidey is trying to convince the other X-Men that nothing is wrong with him and he says, " You can't tell me you've never thought about beating up Woverine", and they are like...."Good Point."

I laughed out loud at that one.

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#14  Edited By Trevel8182

Its not a good week to be Wolverine.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By zackattack529

Soo is Superior spiderman good so far? i heard alot of criticism but now im starting to think those people are wrong, those scans of Doc/spidey beating the %^@# outta Wolverine is AWESOME!

I think i might pick up the title but i feel its a waste if i didn't read the dan slot amazing spiderman run :/

Ballistic_z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Ballistic_z

I'm so happy Spider man beat down wolverine I wish he'd had done at the same time he that that stupidness during scisisum (if I didn't spell it right sorry it was a stupid story any and not worth spelling right at all) making sure to have fight while the kids were in dangers of giant sentinel as if the sentinel would wait like the villains in power rangers. I'm sorry but I wanted this to happen for a while especially after what wolverine did at avengers tower on MJ. once. I kinda tired of alot of the stuff he's allowed to get away with including what beast let him get a way with. those images beating down wolverine are my new treasure.

DJ1107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DJ1107

@zackattack529: The people who criticise are the people who believes Dan just killed their childhood or people who like to bitch for the sake of bitching. Superior's pretty good if abit goofy at time.

Cut dialogue from the Damian fight:

ATATATATATATATATATATATATATATAT!!!!!!!!!

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#18  Edited By DATNIGGA

@Batnandez said:

wolverine would win via being indestructible, having a healing factor and having his claws. spidey's webs would be useless

No Caption Provided

Lol useless huh?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#19  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

this Battle of the Week was hard to read not because of Octo-Man but because of Daredevil

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By laflux

Its going to take more than SpOck beating a holding back Wolverine for me to truly get behind Superior Spider-Man, but I'll admit its does make a nice wallpaper :)

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

this Battle of the Week was hard to read not because of Octo-Man but because of Daredevil

QFT. I loved how Robin quoted Sun Tzu: The clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him, and how batman punched a horse.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#22  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@DarkKnightDetective: this week was a bad week for animals. In Batman a horse is punched and set on fire, in Demon Knights a horse is decapitated then eaten, a dog is impaled by an arrow and a bird has it's neck snapped and then burned :(

Med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Med

does daredevil look 'erect' in that last picture or is that just me?

skyjumpermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By skyjumpermike

@zackattack529: You only hear so much criticism because it seems comic book readers are more likely to voice their complaint than their compliment. It's a new story for Spider-man and Peter Parker. If you like either of them, you should enjoy the book.

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Dark_Vengeance_

@Jonny_Anonymous: PETA needs to get grip.

Arevish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Arevish

Marvel decided to humiliate Wolverine in every single fight to make other guys looks stronger (Superior spider-man, jean grey..)

This is freaking annoying. Now i know how Thor fans feel.

@DATNIGGA: Wolverine wasn't tring to kill him. "samurai" Wolverine would have owned him. He wasn't even using his claws!

sheldipez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By sheldipez

Superior Spider-Man really is so much fun. Even if it only lasts a year so so you can't argue that it hasn't brought new ways to tell Spidey stories. I love how over-confident he is.

CRTrobinson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CRTrobinson

I'm sure old fat butt otto who has been in spiderman's body all of 5 minutes would know how to whoop up on a trained killer of more than 100 years. Regardless of speed and skill no way does he just take it to Wolverine like that. Sick of seing Wolverine get whooped by every Tom Dick and Harry. Now if Peter Parker Spiderman wanted to do this to Wolverine I wouldn't have a hard time believing it.

Gracetrack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gracetrack

@Lvenger: Maybe. In this scenario, Wolverine was the one holding back and he didn't even have the claws out.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Lvenger

@Omnicrono: True there is that. But even with a less holding back Wolverine, Spider-Man has held his own and got a leg up against Wolverine before.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think Daredevil vs. Superior Spiderman and Stilt-Man was the best I've read this week. Granted, I haven't read any of the others but that fight was one of the better ones I've seen recently.

I liked Batman's fight with the horse, too (it wasn't really a fight, but he stopped it dead in its tracks). One punch shows how big of a badass he is.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By longbowhunter

Yup, I've got Daredevil vs. Stilt-Man set as the wallpaper on my iPhone. Love that page!

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#33  Edited By sora_thekey

When will Squirrel Girl be in this?!? :P

DDangelico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34  Edited By DDangelico

Surprised Hulk v. AIM (Specifically the Quintronic Man) didnt make the top 3. The fight took place in lava!!!

dangallant984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#35  Edited By dangallant984

@CRTrobinson said:

I'm sure old fat butt otto who has been in spiderman's body all of 5 minutes would know how to whoop up on a trained killer of more than 100 years. Regardless of speed and skill no way does he just take it to Wolverine like that. Sick of seing Wolverine get whooped by every Tom Dick and Harry. Now if Peter Parker Spiderman wanted to do this to Wolverine I wouldn't have a hard time believing it.

Spiderman still has Parker's memories and experience, too. But even if he didn't, he has his spider-sense and that makes him move with a speed beyond thought or skill; way too fast for the Wolverine. Yeah, Wolverine would only have to get him once with his claws, and I'm not saying he couldn't if he had to, but that's obviously not what's up here.

Doesn't anyone remember the Secret Wars? When Spidey made fools of all the X-men?

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jwalser3

The Spiderman and DD vs Stilt was a meh battle IMO.

ALdragon17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ALdragon17

Pretty Wolv got his butt hand to him...

CaptainMexico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#38  Edited By CaptainMexico

Wow. Wolverine takes so much crap in his life.

SuperJedi17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SuperJedi17

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@DarkKnightDetective: this week was a bad week for animals. In Batman a horse is punched and set on fire, in Demon Knights a horse is decapitated then eaten, a dog is impaled by an arrow and a bird has it's neck snapped and then burned :(

Don't forget about the horse who's head is frozen,and then smashed into many pieces.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By Pyrogram

If I was wolverine I would have gutted spiderman..

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By Decoy Elite

Stilt-Man...winning a fight...wha...

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In Logan's defense he was holding back and didn't even pop the claws. That Damien vs Bruce fight was great as well.

@Arevish said:

Marvel decided to humiliate Wolverine in every single fight to make other guys looks stronger (Superior spider-man, jean grey..)

This is freaking annoying. Now i know how Thor fans feel.

@DATNIGGA: Wolverine wasn't tring to kill him. "samurai" Wolverine would have owned him. He wasn't even using his claws!

this

Avatar image for super_soldierxii
Super_SoldierXII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Super_SoldierXII

Hm. Round 2 fared far better for Logan. Guess we'll omit that.

But given the circumstances, the outcome is acceptable. What circumstances you ask? 1. It happened in Spider-Man's own title 2. Wolverine was caught off-guard and was even more baffled by SpOck's erratic behavior 3. Wolverine was indeed holding back.

Wolverine sets SpOck up with a claw swipe, SpOck predictably dodging and in doing so delivering his neck to Logan's offhand and effectively having Spider-Man pinned and at his mercy in the end ... but the one sided beat down in round one was the highlight to be sure.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44  Edited By reignmaker

Really liked Hulk v. AIM, but it was too short to really be considered a fight. I'm sure we'll see some Hulk in the future.

Also enjoyed that Wolverine beatdown. I'll agree he was restraining here. But for someone who has a reputation for badassery, he sure seems to get his ass kicked by other Marvel heroes a lot. I can already see the future flame wars on the battle forums...

DChero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By DChero

lol i love seeing people put wolverine in his place and make him look stupid. young scott and spiderman. amazing

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By dondave

Cool Picks

Walzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Walzo

I love Daredevil's artwork!

Good job on the picks!

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

#48  Edited By Trodorne

Spider-man is not doing that bad now that he is set to OTTO-pilot....

JohnnyJoker28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By JohnnyJoker28

I have been LOVING Chris Samnee on Daredevil! But, is it just me or does it look like Daredevil has a boner in this panel??

No Caption Provided
butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By butters911

Where is that panel of Wolverine all webbed up from?