Best New Comic Book Battles This Week: 01/11/13

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Welcome to Best Battles! This is where we let dialogue take a backseat and focus on the unfriendly encounters that take place between the fictional characters we follow. Each week, I'll review all of the new comics I can and select my 3 favorite action scenes. I'll provide as many images I can for your viewing pleasure. Keep in mind, I don't read every single new comic that's out there. So, if a fight you love isn't here, you're welcome to express why it was top-notch below.

This week we have a fun and gorgeous fight involving the new Spider-Man, an epic sword battle from the pages of a new TMNT series, and Frank struggles to escape Thor.

As Bane once said... let the games begin!

Superior Spider-Man vs Sinister Six (SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1)

We're not here to babble over the plot points of writer Dan Slott's latest story. No, sir, leave those heated arguments at the door or take it to another thread. Instead, we're gathered here to praise the rad fight that took place between Superior Spider-Man and a new Sinister Six. Not only was it a crazy amount of fun, but artist Ryan Stegman did a beyond fabulous job. Let's begin with a kick to the face, shall we?

Shocker, you're still cool to me, man.
Shocker, you're still cool to me, man.

A new Sinister Six debuts, and as you can imagine, Superior Otto-Man isn't pleased to see that his former team name is now in the hands of a bunch of C-listers. The evil scientist puts Parker's powerful body to full use, smacking the group around and even making them use their weapons against one another (Parker would be proud). However, Speed Demon shows up and delivers a mega combo on the new wall-crawler. The "hero" can't take the pain, so he bolts. Ock would never be worthy of a green power ring.

C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!
C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKER!

Despite his better judgement, Superior Octavius jumps back into the fray to save a police officer. The attack meant for the cop stuns him and this gives Boomerang a chance to step up to the plate. But, like a vast majority of villains, he's a moron and takes his time instead of quickly ending the stunned hero. As expected, Octopus-Man not only survives, but he puts those new claws to good use. The team escapes from this new and more brutal version of Spider-Man and Boomerang has just enough time to sew his shirt back together for round 2.

Superior Feisty-Man.
Superior Feisty-Man.

If there's one thing evil geniuses are good at, it's using their prep time well. Ock Parker discovers the team will next assault Horizon Labs and he rigs the place in his favor. He makes it so Speed Demon can't keep balance on the floor and BAM! Webbing to the trachea. Painful stuff there, Slott.

Well, that's embarrassing.
Well, that's embarrassing.

The team's abilities are disabled and Doctor Otto Parker makes incredibly short work of the team. Shocker's gauntlets are disabled. Beetle loses her strength. And Big Wheel... poor old big wheel gets knocked on his side.

BIG WHEEL! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
BIG WHEEL! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

All that, though? That was nothing compared to what Superior Octopus has in store for Boomerang (poor dude drew the short straw, didn't he?). Despite surrendering to the friendly neighborhood Octopus, the hero decides to viciously lay into him. With news cameras rolling, Spider-Man begins his relentless assault.

No one likes an arrogant winner.
No one likes an arrogant winner.

So what happens next? Go read SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #1 to find out! Or... just check out one of the gazillion spoiler threads.

Takeshi Tatsuo vs Yuu Clan (TMNT: The Secret History of the Foot Clan #1)

First off, if you haven't checked out this issue yet and you like TMNT at all, go do so now. This 4 issue mini series dives into a brand new and quite extensive origin for the Foot Clan. Before the Foot, however, there was the Yuu Clan. And within the Yuu clan there was the talented warrior named Takeshi Tatso. His master feared his abilities, so he sent Tatso into an overwhelming ambush. Except even against an army, Takeshi wouldn't back down from a fight. Prepare yourself because this is about to get awesome.

COME AT ME, BROS!
COME AT ME, BROS!

While the Yuu clan had the clear numbers advantage, Takeshi had an unparalleled skill with a blade. Check out the excellent artwork by Mateus Santolouco as the warrior takes on the absurd amount of enemies.

This page invented the saying
This page invented the saying "like a boss."

Not even a slew of injuries and overflowing blood loss would defeat him, though. Even when his leg is taken from him, Takeshi lunges at his remaining enemies and slays them. When none are left, he finally decides to rest against the snow and accept his fate.

So, care to pick up the issue yet?
So, care to pick up the issue yet?

Luckily for him, the universe had other plans. Takeshi was saved and, much to his surprise, had his leg and foot regrown. This is just the beginning of a superb issue that I cannot recommend enough.

Punisher vs Thor (PUNISHER: War Zone #3)

Frank Castle, a gifted soldier and tactician, takes on Thor, the God of Thunder. Doesn't seem like a fair fight, does it? Thankfully, writer Greg Rucka knows how to turn a blatant mismatch into a fun and believable encounter. It literally kicks off with a bang as Frank blows up a truck next to the Asgardian.

Cool guys look at explosions.
Cool guys look at explosions.

The Punisher knows his odds of winning a direct fight with Thor are 0%, so he rabbits. However, little does Thor know that the vigilante is luring him to an enemy base. Why get your own hands dirty when you can have a God of Thunder shut the entire place down for you? Crafty, Frank.

This would have been a great day to call out sick.
This would have been a great day to call out sick.

Frank clearly underestimated Thor's potential. One strike sends everything flying, including the Punisher. Just as Thor plainly put it, the battle is ended. Frank's a stubborn fellow, though. He tries to pull a pistol on Thor and it's a pointless effort. One punch later and Frank is down for the count.

That's one fantastic looking Thor.
That's one fantastic looking Thor.

Fortunately for Frank, Thor had no intention of bringing the defeated anti-hero back to the states. Instead, he tried to talk some sense into Castle over a beer. It's a great moment between the two and left me itching to see what Rucka will bring us next.

They met on eHarmony.
They met on eHarmony.

Wouldn't it be awesome if Frank was a lightweight and became totally belligerent after the first sip? "YOU THINK YOU'RE SO COOL WITH THAT STOOPID HAT, THUUUUR?!"

Honorable Mentions

What are your top 3? Sound off below!
What are your top 3? Sound off below!

Gregg Katzman is a writer for Comic Vine & IGN Entertainment. Be kind and follow him on Twitter.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#1  Edited By Raw_Material

great choices! Loved the battles fought between Takeshi Tatsuo and The Yuu Clan. One of my favorite issues of TMNT as of right now. I felt that Spider-Man vs. Sinister Six was sort of corny in a way, but still a pretty well fought battle. I think most of the fights that Doc Ock will part-take in are going to be more of a strategic warfare rather than a hand-to-hand combat.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By saoakden

The fight with the Sinister Six was pretty awesome. Everyone watching that fight between Superior & theSinister Six know now the Superior Spider-Man isn't messing around.

powerhouse1122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By powerhouse1122

Enterntained indeed! :) but a m w a n t i n g M O R E!!!

Tony_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tony_Shark

Dude, that Thor looks like such a fearless badass.

Holy shit. Whoever the artist is, he did a great job.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

Frank a lightweight?

OH, K4. YOU WOUND ME SO.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Yeah, Sup-Spidey vs. the Six takes the cake for me since its so ironic...

DATNIGGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

#7  Edited By DATNIGGA

I loved thor in that... but Legions fight with the x men should be here

livlig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By livlig

God, TMNT looks incredible. I've never picked up a comic - and have little to no recollection of the TV show (from years back). Is it a good place to start?

Waddly_Hobbins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Waddly_Hobbins

My best battle of the week contains spoilers for Marvel Universe Vs. Avengers #4.

Thor coming down out of nowhere and smashing Hawkeye's head in with his hammer was crazy. Leandro Fernandez did a great job of making Clint's head look all squooshy.
ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By ccraft

I can't wait for Superior Spider-Man to come out for trade, it looks so good. Yeah, it seems ppl are starting to change their minds about Otto being SSM. When I watched the CV video 'Everything You Need To Know Before Reading SSM' I thought the way Peter died was great, I also agree on the theory from Tony how Peter might come back. I also would like to see SSM get 50 issues or more. And then having to read Peter get his life back will be tough.

I'd like to see the artist from Punisher draw Solid Snake!

marvelman2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By marvelman2099

@livlig:

id say so go for it ^_^

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Miss_Garrick

The Thor vs Punisher battle looks awesome! Also, I agree it would have been hilarious if Punisher got stupid drunk and started insulting Thor. Thor would just look at him and think: "Man can't hold his liquor. Figures" X^D

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By deadpool25mm

Spider-man can be like Batman now.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14  Edited By Cap10nate

So is doc ock spiderman basically like Scarlet Spider now with all the extra brutality.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By jwalser3

The art work for Punisher: Warzone is amazing!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@livlig said:

God, TMNT looks incredible. I've never picked up a comic - and have little to no recollection of the TV show (from years back). Is it a good place to start?

It's the first of a four issue mini series, so yeah, it's a good jumping on point for anyone.  However, you've got a lot of catching up to do with the primary series! 

@ckuakini: Thanks! 

@powerhouse1122 said:
Enterntained indeed! :) but a m w a n t i n g M O R E!!!
haha awesome! 

@InnerVenom123 said:

Frank a lightweight?

OH, K4. YOU WOUND ME SO.

IT WOULD BE LULZY. 
kingdomenic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#17  Edited By kingdomenic

@livlig: The History of the Foot Clan is a 4 part mini series. So its a good place to start, but you should really try and catch up on the actual series. It is fantastic.

aaunderoath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By aaunderoath

The art on Superior Spider-Man was so insanely good he could have been sitting on the toilet for 20 pages and I'd still expect it on this list

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#19  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Nice Choices

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By The Average Bear

Cool battle in Superior Spider-Man. Punisher and Thor talking over a beer was pretty hilarious too

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By TheHT

The art in that Punisher issue is fantastic!

butters911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By butters911

I really loved the battle in SSM. It was really entertaining. Just an all around great issue

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Lvenger

They drink beer together? You know he could have stopped him but no Thor has to have some ale. Still nice to see him act like a badass again.

evilvegeta74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By evilvegeta74

@Tony_Shark said:

Dude, that Thor looks like such a fearless badass.

Holy shit. Whoever the artist is, he did a great job.

What he said!

Avatar image for bobfromaccounting
BobFromAccounting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy the irony of Superior Spider-man being annoyed at someone else arrogantly using his name.

DarthLydia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DarthLydia

I knew Leia vs. TIE Pilot would get an honorable. It wasn't a long enough fight to warrant a "best" but it made you just stop and go, "Damn, Leia..."

Veitha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Veitha

Carmine di Giandomenico's Thor is wonderful

ClintsEvilTwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By ClintsEvilTwin

Is Warzone set in 616? Does anybody know?

@aaunderoath said:

The art on Superior Spider-Man was so insanely good he could have been sitting on the toilet for 20 pages and I'd still expect it on this list

That!

HellknightLeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By HellknightLeon

I like shocker...

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By kid Apollo

you know, if someone at Marvel was smart, they would have come up with a good combination of Spiderman/Peter Parker and Doc Ock/Otto Octavius. i.e.: Benifer, Brangelina, etc etc

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By Overlander

For a week where nothing on the stand really looked good, you found three really impressive battles. Thanks!

SexualLobster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By SexualLobster

@HellknightLeon said:

I like shocker...

PurpleCandy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PurpleCandy

"They met on eHarmony"

Made me LOL!

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By comicace3

Shocker is a bows

sergyanime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By sergyanime

Superior spidermans leaving such a bitter taste in my mouth I'm going to have to quit comic vine for a while maybe forever. I can't take seeing this crap posted up everywhere here.

I love the site but I'm done peace.

AranhaMarcial

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By AranhaMarcial

Best fight? Really? Talking seriously! Yeah See this.

As much as they try to destroy my favorite character die of shame Slott, here in this example, these are small stories that make me still like this arachnid as never! I know this in Spanish, but I can understand a good one! And that makes me love the spider-man and I'm not ashamed to say isto.Peter the hero who shows us what the force is in your heart and your power in your actions!

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#37  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

Punisher FTW!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator
@DarthLydia said:
I knew Leia vs. TIE Pilot would get an honorable. It wasn't a long enough fight to warrant a "best" but it made you just stop and go, "Damn, Leia..."
Exactly!@ClintsEvilTwin said:

Is Warzone set in 616? Does anybody know?

@aaunderoath said:

That!

Yes, it is. 

@Overlander said:

For a week where nothing on the stand really looked good, you found three really impressive battles. Thanks!

Thank you! 

@PurpleCandy said:

"They met on eHarmony"

Made me LOL!

:D 
mightypug78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By mightypug78

@AranhaMarcial: Doctor: Liver failure, kidney and then.... sorry... there is nothing we can do for her other than have her comfortable and wait for the end., Spiderman: she was already unconsciousness when i found.... oh god....gone through that alleyway perhap thousands of times if i had seen before. Doctor: ------------ obviously something for them but even you cannot be everywhere. Spiderman: Newspapers had my... pictures. Know her name? Doctor: had a necklace under her shirt that said leah. Spiderman: If you can hear me, leah..... sweet dreams. sweet,sweet dreams.

translated it with google translate, sad story. :(

Viva_La_Bam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Viva_La_Bam

Awesomeness.

quatro_briefs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By quatro_briefs

@Waddly_Hobbins said:

My best battle of the week contains spoilers for Marvel Universe Vs. Avengers #4.

Thor coming down out of nowhere and smashing Hawkeye's head in with his hammer was crazy. Leandro Fernandez did a great job of making Clint's head look all squooshy.

I would pay to see this!

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Decoy Elite

FIX.