Best New Comic Book Battles: 04/12/13

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Comics of course don't need action to keep a firm grip on our focus, but let's be real, it's a super joyous time when these super powered characters decide to vent with their fists and not their words. That's the simple objective of this weekly feature -- highlight the best fights that went down in the latest issues. This week we've got a look at a God fighting an X-Men villain, Hawkeye's female friends putting a beatdown on the tracksuit mafia, and Batman desperately trying to subdue Frankenstein in an attempt to bring his son back to life. That said, these are just my top 3. Be sure to speak your mind and share scans of your favorite battles below.

Thor vs. Apocalypse

Apocalypse taking on Thor is an event which could lay waste to an entire city. Buildings would crumble, streets would be torn apart as the two dished out hugely powerful attacks. Apocalypse taking on a young, brash and drunk Thor, though? Well, that's a match that'll result is a clearly one-sided beatdown for the Asgardian. A single sucker punch almost ends the fight right away, propelling Thor into the distance and nearly breaking him. From there, it just continues to go downhill for the God of Thunder.

"Thy backhand is powerful, Devil!" - Thor

After being embarrassed a little more by En Sabah Nur, Thor finally lands a hit. Unfortunately for him, his axe (jarnbjorn) doesn't even dent the first mutant's armor. The villain responds with the most epic attack of them all: a headbutt. That's right, in the end it's a headbutt that makes the arrogant Asgardian head for the hills. His body may be bruised, but it's his ego that took the biggest hit of them all in this case.

In this moment, Thor learns the meaning of
In this moment, Thor learns the meaning of "epic fail."

Shortly after, Thor's "brother" informs him how to bless his axe and, in turn, rip through the celestial armor protecting Apocalypse. Thor makes short work of the foe's horsemen, but having his axe meet Apoc's armor is no easy feat. I don't know about you, but I think the following is the best and by far coolest feat I've seen from the classic villain in quite some time.

Worst game of tag ever.
Worst game of tag ever.

Thor eventually does connect and the result looks fantastic. If you'd like to know all the juicy details about what goes down next, buy the issue!

Mockingbird / Kate vs. Tracksuit Bros

Tracksuit bros. David Aja. Matt Hollingsworth. Matt Fraction. I really shouldn't need to say more to sell you on this one, but I shall anyway. This book truly continues to offer absurd levels of entertainment, and the battles here look great and are plenty of fun (as usual). First up, Mockingbird investigates a van parked outside of Clint's place. It just so happens that it is indeed a vehicle containing two silly members of the tracksuit mafia and Mockingbird makes sure they'll think twice before snooping in such a close proximity. Prepare for a boot to the face that's full of win.

This is why you keep your eyes on the road, kids.
This is why you keep your eyes on the road, kids.

Those guys that just had a bad day? Well, it turns out that's the second time they've had their butts handed to them. The issue reveals earlier on they bumped into Kate, and she also introduced them to a whole new world of pain. Two bros versus one mini-Avenger just ain't a fair fight and you can't help but feel for the bald dude.

Right in the bros, bro.
Right in the bros, bro.

This issue wasn't all hero on bro violence, though. Clint's sleazy ways finally catch up to him and we see Spider-Woman give him a harsh reality check complimented by not one but two smacks to the face. If anything, this is more of a verbal battle, and in that case, Jessica won via knockout. Her argument absolutely has him down for the count.

Yeah, you definitely had that coming, Clint.
Yeah, you definitely had that coming, Clint.

Hell hath no fury like a Spider-Woman scorned.

Batman vs. Frankenstein

Determined to resurrect his son, Batman hilariously kidnaps Frankenstein (seriously, imagine how degrading it must have felt to be in his shoes) and hopes to unlock the secret of resurrection. However, Batman never said please, and Frankenstein won't let himself be turned into an experiment (again). The agent of S.H.A.D.E. busts out of a specially designed holding unit and immediately goes to town on the Dark Knight.

FRANKENSTEIN SMASH!
FRANKENSTEIN SMASH!

The fight is good fun and all, but for me, the star of this book is Patrick Gleason. Sure, Peter J. Tomasi is doing a fantastic job with Batman and how he's handling Damian's death, but it's Gleason's exceptional and unique work that brings these cinematic moments to life (complimented by John Kalisz's colors, of course). My eyes continue to be incredibly pleased with this title.

A batarang to the shoulder is never a good time.
A batarang to the shoulder is never a good time.

The way the Caped Crusader concludes this fight is seriously creative and downright awesome. Bruce always gives in to his morals, so it's nice seeing him go toe-to-toe with a character he can really unleash against. Makes you really want to see Batman vs. Wolverine, doesn't it?

You know what they say... if you can't beat 'em, impale and electrocute 'em.
You know what they say... if you can't beat 'em, impale and electrocute 'em.

Next issue should be quite interesting -- it's Jason Todd's turn to appear and apparently, Batman won't be in a gentle mood with the second Robin. Go easy on him, Wayne. The poor dude has his own problems at the moment, too.

Honorable Mentions

What are your top 3 this week? Give the comments section a piece of your mind.
What are your top 3 this week? Give the comments section a piece of your mind.

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ andTwitter pagein hopes of getting a new follower or two.

Walzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By Walzo

Those are some good panels, it's cool to see Uncanny Avengers on here, since it's a different book from the regular pile of books featured on this article.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ptigrusmagus

Avengers vs Starbrand

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

Ha! Great picks this week. Well written as usual.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

I MUST get that Hawkeye bullseye shirt. So awesome!

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6  Edited By longbowhunter

Pat Gleason draws the hell out of Frankenstein. Mustached track suit bro looks like Charles Bronson.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#7  Edited By reignmaker

Loving every page of Hawkeye,and I was never a big fan of Clint or even the Avengers before I picked it up. You know a book is good when it can transform your perception of characters like it has.

Pu-leeeaze keep Tomasi and Gleason together on Batman & Robin, DC. These guys are something special. With the Zero Year happening in Batman soon, I think B&R is going to be the go-to book for the modern Batman. Sorry, Detective.

Fenderxx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

Dude ...Hawkeye had a rough this week ...

Smurfboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome fights. :)

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Ha! Great picks this week. Well written as usual.

Thank you.

Nazab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loving every page of Hawkeye,and I was never a big fan of Clint or even the Avengers before I picked it up. You know a book is good when it can transform your perception of characters like it has.

Pu-leeeaze keep Tomasi and Gleason together on Batman & Robin, DC. These guys are something special. With the Zero Year happening in Batman soon, I think B&R is going to be the go-to book for the modern Batman. Sorry, Detective.

THIS...

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

#12  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Head-butt or a b*+ch-slap is always a trump card in any battle!

Also, man Batman is really getting brutal. I can't wait for the next issue to see what happens next.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Batman beat up innocent frankenstein? Batman is becoming a menace. First he nearly kills catwoman and now he is trying to reserect his dead son and by experimentinh on poor frankenstein? I hope the JLDark goes after his ass. You know what, nevermind. He will probably kick there asses too. ):-(

GothamRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 23

what's up with DC's frankenstein's outfit? does he run a circus too?

Also Apocalypse's pimp hand is strong.

Akindoodle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Akindoodle

@lifeboy said:

Batman beat up innocent frankenstein? Batman is becoming a menace. First he nearly kills catwoman and now he is trying to reserect his dead son and by experimentinh on poor frankenstein? I hope the JLDark goes after his ass. You know what, nevermind. He will probably kick there asses too. ):-(

Don't say that! Constatine and the rest should dish it out to him. Let the real Batman and the Batman of Magic face off. Let's see who wins. I see a battle thread here...

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

#16  Edited By Queso6p4

This feels shorter than normal, even though it isn't (right?). Thanks all the same!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@queso6p4 said:

This feels shorter than normal, even though it isn't (right?). Thanks all the same!

Perhaps it was just so enjoyable that time flew by while reading it!

...yeah, I think a few of the paragraphs are shorter than usual. Sorry man, was on vacation for most of this week and the overdose of sun has apparently taken a toll on my brain!

HellionVulcan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Apocalypse & Thor fight was really good i like that Thor couldn't really do anything even with his weapon that sliced him .

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

@k4tzm4n said:

@queso6p4 said:

Perhaps it was just so enjoyable that time flew by while reading it!

...yeah, I think a few of the paragraphs are shorter than usual. Sorry man, was on vacation for most of this week and the overdose of sun has apparently taken a toll on my brain!

How dare you enjoy yourself in the sun and still manage to do work! :-) Not complaining at all.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

"Asgardian Please!!" ::::Massive pimp slap:::

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 k4tzm4n  Moderator

"Asgardian Please!!" ::::Massive pimp slap:::

You win 5 internets for that.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#22  Edited By SavageDragon

@k4tzm4n: What about

Thor: "Guess what my favorite day in Midgard is....Income AXE day!!!"

Apocalypse: "That was painfully contrived. I catch your Axe 7 centimeters from my face just to make you look lame and make ME. Look. Bad-ass.

Apocalypse: "En Sanh Nur always repays tenfold. For your bad joke I return your weapon... With an Epic AXE guy.

Thor: "Daaammmit!...................Mine was still better....".

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#23  Edited By Lvenger

That Apocalypse vs Thor fight looks really awesome! As does the Batman vs Frankenstein one. Great pics this week Gregg!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

The one from Hawkeye #9 made me laugh so hard! :D

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-6212d9bb8a06e
deactivated-6212d9bb8a06e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Where's the Thor vs. Apocalypse fight from?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

Oh, never mind. Got it. It's mentioned in the subtitle. Let me rephrase my question then: Is this issue of Uncanny Avengers the beginning of a new story arc?

cacarl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

About Jason in Batman & Robin: All the opposite, Bruce will ask Jason about how it feels to be "back" and if it is ok to use the last Lazarus Pit. Bruce and Jason are in good terms now ( read RHATO ).

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@cacarl said:

About Jason in Batman & Robin: All the opposite, Bruce will ask Jason about how it feels to be "back" and if it is ok to use the last Lazarus Pit. Bruce and Jason are in good terms now ( read RHATO ).

Each issue of Batman & Robin is addressing a stage of grief and it has already been confirmed Todd's will be rage.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

loved Hawkeye once again.

Avatar image for the_average_bear
The Average Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman vs Frankenstein is so great because you can see Batmans desperation to bring Damian back. Robin continues to humanize Batman from beyond the grave

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I'm surprised the fight from X 0# didn't get an honorable mention O.O thats was pretty awesome.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good choices! Loved Apoc vs. Thor especially. Epic!

Avatar image for youmessinwithme
youmessinwithme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By youmessinwithme

I feel Like Apocalypse almost killing Thor with his first strike is a little overboard, I mean sure Thor is young, inexperience, Drunk, without Mjolnir and not expecting it And Apocalypse is Armored and ready for him but I'd still say Thor has higher end feats then Apocalypse especially in terms of Durability, Thanos does not do that to Thor... and Thor has taken shots from Galactus with less damage at points.