Best New Comic Book Battles: 03/29/13

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Who can honestly say they don't love a good fight between comic book characters? I assume you can't, otherwise you wouldn't be here now, right? This week I narrowed down my favorite fights and, while DC and Marvel once again earned a spot, this is the first time a comic from Image appears in this segment! Batman and his allies taking on Damian's massive clone was an obvious choice, Kaine had a brutal fight that I simply had to include, and Luther Strode dropped my jaw with some insane action. Don't forget to sound off below with your top 3 battles in new comics this week!

Batman / Nightwing / Red Robin vs. The Heretic (BATMAN INCORPORATED #9)

Picking up immediately after Damian's death, The Dark Knight confronts his son's killer. As expected, Batman goes all out against the Heretic, even shattering the sword that took his son's life with his bare foot. Prepare for Batman in beast mode with Chris Burnham totally killing it on pencils.

The foot is mightier than the sword.
The foot is mightier than the sword.

Batman gives it his all, but we're talking about a character that shrugged off an arrow through the chest. Despite his more vicious tactics, the Caped Crusader's effort is futile. Luckily for him, though, Nightwing and Red Robin are slowly recovering in the same area. It's an uphill struggle yet Batman still manages to get some damaging hits in before going down.

That's a lot of tomato sauce.
That's a lot of tomato sauce.

Nightwing recovers before Tim and is able to save Wayne from having his back broken (again). The acrobat gives us a great display, fully utilizing his agility as he dances around the powerhouse. He gets his licks in but it's not too long before the brute takes him down with a single strike.

Bane called; he wants his line back.
Bane called; he wants his line back.

In the end, it takes Tim using a freaking tank to make the powerhouse flee. It makes me really wonder what this dude's limitations are. So, who else thinks this huge villain turns out to be the future Damian we've seen before?

Scarlet Spider vs. Los Lobos (SCARLET SPIDER #15)

I've been incredibly mixed on Khoi Pham's work in SCARLET SPIDER, but the man absolutely delivered and then some for this savage brawl. Kaine has given into the Other and has finally become a true monster. Those two Werewolves have been really fearsome (even if a street gang temporarily held their own...), but this new version of Kaine? Yeah, I'd need to change my underwear if I ever saw this thing in an alley.

If you spot a monster brawl, I strongly advise running away and never looking back.
If you spot a monster brawl, I strongly advise running away and never looking back.

In spite of the physical upgrade and spooky makeover, these two werewolves clearly aren't afraid. The trio engage in a vicious symphony of slashes, stabs and even bites. Before you know it, one of the Los Lobos loses and eye and that's only the beginning of their worries...

Taylor Lautner, nooooooooooooo!
Taylor Lautner, nooooooooooooo!

As you can see above, Kaine's new form has a few new and quite nifty upgrades -- one being pointy legs. Instead of using them for say, crawling... Kaine decides to straight up impale one of his enemies straight through the chest. My reaction was pretty much the same as Aracely's when I read that moment.

It's official: Yost hates werewolves.
It's official: Yost hates werewolves.

So let me get this straight... Kaine rips out an eye, stabs one in the chest, and then rips off a friggin' arm? Like I told ya, this fight is shockingly savage.

Luther Strode vs. Jack the Ripper (THE LEGEND OF LUTHER STRODE #4)

The stunning cover lured me in and, seeing as I like Justin Jordan's other work, I thought I'd give this a chance. My immediate reaction upon completing the issue: WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THIS BOOK? Seriously, Jordan's Image comic feels like it wasmade just for this weekly segment.

Protip: face planting the environment is not a legitimate tactic.
Protip: face planting the environment is not a legitimate tactic.

Seriously, I can't get over how astonishing this book looks. Colorist Felipe Sobreiro and artist Tradd Moore deserve the most delicious cookie ever for their work on this title. It's a fast, fun and animated feel -- it practically seems like screengrabs taken from the most violently awesome cartoon I've ever witnessed.

I think I'm in love with this book.
I think I'm in love with this book.

This is yet another classic display of power versus skill. As you can see, Luther's strength and durability doesn't mean much when his enemy lands dozens of hits before he can barely connect. However, the tide soon turns as Luther gets a good grip on Jack the Ripper. Prepare for the best slam you'll see all week -- and yes, that's taking into account when the Heretic smashed Batman.

Oh yeah, I'm definitely in love.
Oh yeah, I'm definitely in love.

Believe it or not, this is just the beginning of this issue's craziness. The fight isn't even close to over and I've left out some of the goriest moments. Seriously, I'm so glad I decided to randomly check this book out and I highly recommend you do the same if you're looking for some ridiculously fun and over the top action.

Honorable Mentions

What's your favorite fight this week? Remember to check the homepage next Friday for a new Best Battles!
What's your favorite fight this week? Remember to check the homepage next Friday for a new Best Battles!

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ andTwitter pagein hopes of getting a new follower or two.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

i prefered the ms marvel vs wolverine vs the end "battle" in A+X.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Great choices. I also loved the Bishop vs X-Force fight. Good use of that train and the lack of light.

Avatar image for supremehyperion
SupremeHyperion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Luthor Strode for the win.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#4  Edited By Raw_Material

Was "Five Weapons" really that good?

I'm gonna have to catch up this series for sure.

Went back in time and read the Maestro vs the Hulk battle in Future Imperfect, one of the best battles I've witnessed in comics hands down.

coolguyr99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By coolguyr99

Finally, Luther Strode gets some love.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By TDK_1997

The fight with the Heretic was awesome!

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Luther Strode's fight with Jack the Ripper is best.This issue is phenomenal as always.

cjc1303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@k4tzm4n The reason why you have never heard of Luther Strode is because Comic Vine barely gives any love to independents. If it isn't Walking Dead, Saga, a "big" issue, or an independent that is done by a big name like Hickman or Snyder you probably won't see much about it on this site.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman Inc was an awesome battle. I wasn't reading it, but I am now to see how he deals with Damiens death.

Injustice was a great battle also, even though it is a precursor.

Avatar image for g_money_christmas
G_Money_Christmas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GotG was pretty sweet. Scarlet Spider was okay

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Bruce's fights with Branca and Heretic make me curious about how Morrison would approach Batman vs Bane.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Fantasgasmic

Batman's secret identity vs. His own Judgement (BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #18)

Ha!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@dh69 said:

i prefered the ms marvel vs wolverine vs the end "battle" in A+X.

That's still on my to read list. I heard the bit with Gambit and Thing is quite fun.

Great choices. I also loved the Bishop vs X-Force fight. Good use of that train and the lack of light.

Thanks!

Like I say above, I'm in love. I've gotta check out the previous run next.

Was "Five Weapons" really that good?

I'm gonna have to catch up this series for sure.

Went back in time and read the Maestro vs the Hulk battle in Future Imperfect, one of the best battles I've witnessed in comics hands down.

I adore it. It's a very refreshing, fun and lighthearted experience. I'd say give the first issue a shot.

@cjc1303 said:

@k4tzm4n The reason why you have never heard of Luther Strode is because Comic Vine barely gives any love to independents. If it isn't Walking Dead, Saga, a "big" issue, or an independent that is done by a big name like Hickman or Snyder you probably won't see much about it on this site.

Finally, Luther Strode gets some love.

Like I say in the article: WHY HAS NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT IT?! I'm shocked no one has ever brought the name up in this segment before!

@soumya said:

Luther Strode's fight with Jack the Ripper is best.This issue is phenomenal as always.

For sure.

@muyjingo said:

Batman Inc was an awesome battle. I wasn't reading it, but I am now to see how he deals with Damiens death.

Injustice was a great battle also, even though it is a precursor.

Yeah, WW vs. Arthur was a tad too brief for me. But next week will hopefully be rather epic with the Kraken.

Batman's secret identity vs. His own Judgement (BATMAN THE DARK KNIGHT #18)

Ha!

:D

Bruce's fights with Branca and Heretic make me curious about how Morrison would approach Batman vs Bane.

Interesting. I imagine not well for Bruce. You?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I loved the first volume of Luther Strode, waiting for the trade on this one. Chris Burnham's art is so kinetic. The fight scenes in Inc. are the best. I cant believe there are people who actually dont like his art.

Fhiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

I was coming in here expecting not to see the Luther Strode fight... Good on you.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@fhiz said:

I was coming in here expecting not to see the Luther Strode fight... Good on you.

*pats self on back

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#17  Edited By entropy_aegis

Morrison is pretty much writing Bane through the Heretic the characters are so damn similar heck even Damian shares strong similarities with Bane,Branca/Batbane was a different beast though.I have a feeling that there might be a Bane connection to the Heretic,maybe he has some of Bane's DNA as well?

Overall really liked the last issue of INC,really curious to see Kathy Kane and the Sivana diamond finally come in to play.

Oh and speaking of Bane he's showing up in the next issue of Talon(Gatefold cover) and possibly next week in Detective comics(Tynion teased it).

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18  Edited By Zeeguy91

Good choices. Although, the GOTG "fight" was more so a prelude to a fight. I would have also included Sprint & Turbo Charger vs. The Trickster from the Flash #18.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@citizenbane said:

Morrison is pretty much writing Bane through the Heretic the characters are so damn similar heck even Damian shares strong similarities with Bane,Branca/Batbane was a different beast though.I have a feeling that there might be a Bane connection to the Heretic,maybe he has some of Bane's DNA as well?

Overall really liked the last issue of INC,really curious to see Kathy Kane and the Sivana diamond finally come in to play.

Oh and speaking of Bane he's showing up in the next issue of Talon(Gatefold cover) and possibly next week in Detective comics(Tynion teased it).

Yeah, it sounds like there's a backup story that'll tie to his issue of TALON.

@zeeguy91 said:

Good choices. Although, the GOTG "fight" was more so a prelude to a fight. I would have also included Sprint & Turbo Charger vs. The Trickster from the Flash #18.

Thanks. I agree GotG wasn't that good, which is why I tossed it in the honorable mentions. As for Flash, sorry dude, I haven't been following the book the past few issues and no one suggested it during the week :(

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Kaine Vs The Werewolves was brutal as hell. I see you didn't post the scan where he ripped out Carlos's eye! Luther Strode looks interesting. I'll check that out!

ivolution2k1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

finally luther strode makes it that comic too epic for words

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By soumya

I loved the first volume of Luther Strode, waiting for the trade on this one. Chris Burnham's art is so kinetic. The fight scenes in Inc. are the best. I cant believe there are people who actually dont like his art.

I like to see an ongoing series of Luther Strode in future.Jordon's plot and Tradd Moore's art..enough said and I actually like Burnham's art too.It works well with Morrison's story.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@strider92 said:

Kaine Vs The Werewolves was brutal as hell. I see you didn't post the scan where he ripped out Carlos's eye! Luther Strode looks interesting. I'll check that out!

sYeah, I'm trying to limit each spotlight to only 3 scans. I figured the stab / arm rip were mandatory and I loved that vicious set of panels.

finally luther strode makes it that comic too epic for words

At this point I almost feel offended no one recommended it sooner because, like you say, it's too epic for words.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Fair enough. Is Luther Strode an on-going? I need another independent on my list besides Harbinger :p

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: Fair enough. Is Luther Strode an on-going? I need another independent on my list besides Harbinger :p

It's a six issue limited-series, but you should totally pick it up.

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Well its on the pull-list now! I picked up a few issues of Crossed (being an apocalypse/zombie fan).........I was not prepared for what I saw lol....so i've dropped that and need something else hopefully Luther will fill that void for a while!

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As promised he added the Luther Strode fight... good job.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: Well its on the pull-list now! I picked up a few issues of Crossed (being an apocalypse/zombie fan).........I was not prepared for what I saw lol....so i've dropped that and need something else hopefully Luther will fill that void for a while!

Most excellent.

As promised he added the Luther Strode fight... good job.

Loading Video...

soumya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For people who have decided to read Luther Strode I have a suggestion.Please read the 1st mini series "The Strange Talent of Luther Strode".The present story is direct sequel to the 1st story.It is a great one IMO.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

The Batman Inc. one was epic!!!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@soumya said:

For people who have decided to read Luther Strode I have a suggestion.Please read the 1st mini series "The Strange Talent of Luther Strode".The present story is direct sequel to the 1st story.It is a great one IMO.

Ordered the TPB earlier this morning.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, 'Crossed' sucks

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yea, 'Crossed' sucks

I didn't think a comic could scar me as much as that did lol. I could have forgiven it if it actually had an awesome stroy-line but it doesn't!

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

That was a pretty awesome fight, especially that slam.

Great job! Nice captions, per usual.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@queso6p4 said:

@supremehyperion said:

Thanks for the kind words!

sparda123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I had a question is the classic beyonder the most powerfull being ever created.

Avatar image for thesonofneptune101
thesonofneptune101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Nightwing vs Heretic was truly awesome it showed Dick's fighting and acrobatic skills. Plus Batman breaking a sword with his bare foot? Truly Awesome , Morrison and Burnham did a great job in this issue.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that Kaine can turn into a spider-esque monster and then revert back that's a brilliant addition to his "arsenal" if it's something that stays with him. And it further distances the similarities between him and Spider-Man.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Nightwing vs Heretic was truly awesome it showed Dick's fighting and acrobatic skills. Plus Batman breaking a sword with his bare foot? Truly Awesome , Morrison and Burnham did a great job in this issue.

Wholeheartedly agreed, agree.

Avatar image for thesonofneptune101
thesonofneptune101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I mean it just showed excellent teamwork within the bat family. But what I don't get is, how did Dick Grayson get knocked out so easily ?

Queso6p4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 21

@k4tzm4n said:

@queso6p4 said:

@supremehyperion said:

Thanks for the kind words!

You're welcome. :-) I'd also recommend Storm Dogs as it's an amazingly done series thus far.

@ptigrusmagus said:

Yea, 'Crossed' sucks

I didn't think a comic could scar me as much as that did lol. I could have forgiven it if it actually had an awesome stroy-line but it doesn't!

Yeah, I made the mistake of grabbing an issue randomly because of the cover and flipping through it...definitely not to my taste, but I gave it a shot. Strangely enough, I lost the few comics I'd bought that day when hanging out with a friend.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That Heretic fight with Batman was pretty wicked...