• 59 results
Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Edited By Thor-Parker

After 2 weeks of voting, these are the Top 10 Marvel Runs according to the viners.

Top 10 :

10. Astonishing X-Men / Joss Whedon - 35 Points

No Caption Provided

9. Thor : God of Thunder / Jason Aaron - 37 Points

No Caption Provided

8. Uncanny X-Force / Rick Remender - 38 Points

No Caption Provided

7. New X-Men / Grant Morrison - 48 Points

No Caption Provided

6. Incredible Hulk / Peter David - 50 points

No Caption Provided

5. The Ultimates / Mark Millar - 59 Points

No Caption Provided

4. Uncanny X-Men / Chris Claremont - 59 Points

No Caption Provided

3. Ultimate Spider-Man / Bendis - 64 Points

No Caption Provided

2. Amazing Spider-Man / Strazcynski - 78 Points

No Caption Provided

1. Captain America / Ed Brubaker - 81 Points

No Caption Provided

So, what do you think ?

Feel free to comment below, and for upcomig lists, follow me :D

BlackLegRaph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlackLegRaph

I'm genuinely surprised at Cap America being first. I've read a bit of every other run on the list except Thor: God of Thunder, so this raises my expectations for the Cap run.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

Cool. Cap won. Gee, that picture put me in the mood to read some Cap comics...

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@blacklegraph: Yeah, I knew Brubaker´s Cap was going to be in the Top 10 but I didn´t expect it to be the first place. It´s an amazing run though, I have no problem with it being voted the best.

jashro44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_soldierxii Just letting you know that Claremonts X-men lost to 2 spider-man titles. Does it burn your soul?

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By silent_bomber

Only on Comicvine could stories about Gwen Stacy having sex with Norman Osborn & Spider-Man's Marriage being wished out of existence get awarded second greatest Marvel run of all time. This is why people go to ComicBookResources for these kinds of polls.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

I am surprised god of thunder is so high. I guess polls are always affected by the current hype.

Shame things like FF by Kirby/Lee and FF by Waid were left out.

Only on Comicvine could stories about Gwen Stacy having sex with Norman Osborn & Spider-Man's Marriage being wished out of existence get awarded second greatest Marvel run of all time. This is why people go to ComicBookResources for these kinds of polls.

One was a honest mistake and the other was an editorial mandate that caused the writer to leave the title.
JMS gave us the best characterazation of modern Spider-man and actually tried to pull him out of the repeating cycle Marvel is doing with the character and tackled new unknown ground that is being used even know.

I think I have been at it with you again, so I am not willing to start another agrument.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By VoloErgoMalus

@squalleon: It is a bit of a shame. I'm surprised Lee/Ditko's ASM didn't make it either. I see it as the greatest Marvel run of all time. And Claremont's X-men should have been placed even higher imo. Ah well, Cap's my favorite hero, so I won't complain too hard.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By silent_bomber

@squalleon said:

One was a honest mistake and the other was an editorial mandate that caused the writer to leave the title.

JMS gave us the best characterazation of modern Spider-man and actually tried to pull him out of the repeating cycle Marvel is doing with the character and tackled new unknown ground that is being used even know.

JMS gave us revisionism, low quality soap opera storytelling, and rehashed plotlines and characters.

"New" Classics like -

"Nothing Can Stop Neo Morbius" "The Night Aunt May Nearly Died" and "Tentacles of Dr Octopus"

Aunt May was written maturely by J.M. DeMatteis (and in character) years before JMS came along, Bill Mantlo had Pete working at a school in the late 70s, Michelinie did soap opera marriage melodrama to death during his run, and DeMatteis ran that spiritual totem stuff into the ground in the 80s and 90s and managed to do it without revising and undermining Spider-Man's origin.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

To be fair CBR generates more traffic. JMS did place as 9th best Spider-Man writer a while back.

BB

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

To be fair CBR generates more traffic. JMS did place as 9th best Spider-Man writer a while back.

Not too fussed about a 9th place for Spider-Man runs, I moan about his run a lot but tbh the first half with JrJr was polished and entertaining enough, a lot of his stuff was also left open to interpretation early on and could be ignored. It got worse as it went on.

A top 5 placing for Spider-Man runs would get a raised eyebrow from me, but a 2nd place for greatest Marvel run of all time?!

As you say though, not much traffic, so not many voters.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Glad to see JMS get love for his Spider-Man work...buy no Agent Venom??

*goes on one man riot*

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@thor_parker82: I didn't get notified for this, maybe you should do another shout out to those who participated?

That aside, thank you so much for your work in compiling everyone's submissions. I am pleasantly surprised to see Captain America take first place and I think that's really cool. I have to admit, I initially began reading the results thinking it was first place first, haha, and was happy the X-Men got so much love. (:P)

This was fun to participate in and fun to see how it all played out. I appreciate what you did here.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

One More Day wasn´t his idea.

Which doesn't stop it from being part of his run (and the section with the most far reaching consequences).

JMS run was great.

First half was reasonable, and similar to a lot of other Spider-Man runs. He's pretty much the poor man's J.M. DeMatteis

Glad to see JMS get love for his Spider-Man work

Yeah because we never see that on Comicvine....... every day....... ten times :)

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@silent_bomber: Eh, we don't; but just because you find something is talked about a lot or its something you don't enjoy doesn't mean other people don't love it.

It's a subjective medium, not objective. It's a matter of taste and preference.

I also love that David and Brubaker got shown love. Honestly surprised a Hulk run got up there, but I'm happy since I voted for it haha.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@silent_bomber: Seriously, you couldn't make your posts more embittered and salty if you tried. No one's denying the bad things in JMS' run but you're doing your best to ignore all the good stuff JMS did of actually progressing Peter as a character, mature adult and growth in his stories.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Eh, we don't

JMS and Bendis are the only two Spider-Man writers that you can pretty much put money on being brought up on Comicvine.

@lvenger said:

No one's denying the bad things in JMS' run.

To vote it second best run in Marvel history is to ignore the bad things about JMS' run.

@lvenger said:

the good stuff JMS did of actually progressing Peter as a character, mature adult and growth in his stories.

JMS didn't progress the character, everything he'd done had pretty much been done before.

The best thing he did was to bring Spider-Man back in line with the early 90s pre-clone era.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This list is crap. No offense.

Claymore1998

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

Nice

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@tdk_1997 said:

Sorry but I don't think most of the choices are crap. Besides you can't alter what other people think. What would you put on there?

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brubakers Captain America and Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man beat Claremonts X-Men??

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Sorry but I don't think most of the choices are crap. Besides you can't alter what other people think. What would you put on there?

I don't think that the choices are bad or anything, I just think that most of those don't deserve to be that high up. I love Aaron's Thor run but he doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10. Same goes for Whedon's X-Men run and Millar's Ultimates run. Those are all great runs but they shouldn't be so highly praised.

Lot of incredible runs throughout Marvel's history have been ignored: Greg Pak's Hulk run, DeMatteis' ASM run, Kelly's ASM run, Bendis' Daredevil run, Peter David's X-Factor run, JMS' Thor run, Simonson's Thor run, Gruenwald's Captain America run and etc. There's indeed too much amazing runs that deserve to be here but I think that a lot of old school Marvel runs have been ignored here and that is why I said it;s crap.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By GraniteSoldier

@silent_bomber: Well JMS had a great run and had a firm grasp on Peter, and seems like plenty think so. It was one of the best runs along with Stan Lee's work with Peter (which should have been on the list in my opinion).

Bendis is only good when he writes the Ultimate Universe in my opinion.

I have even long advocated Dan Slott's work on Peter from Big Time through No Turning Back...it's just he's destroying all his good work with his recent run of lazy writing.

I think there's a good number of Spidey writers who get praised, but like I said it's all subjective so whatever.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ms-lola said:

@thor_parker82: I didn't get notified for this, maybe you should do another shout out to those who participated?

That aside, thank you so much for your work in compiling everyone's submissions. I am pleasantly surprised to see Captain America take first place and I think that's really cool. I have to admit, I initially began reading the results thinking it was first place first, haha, and was happy the X-Men got so much love. (:P)

This was fun to participate in and fun to see how it all played out. I appreciate what you did here.

Thanks for your kind words Lola :D

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always feel guilty after having a rant on here lol

I just get frustrated with this stuff for some reason, still, it was nice to see Peter David make an appearance.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Thor-Parker

@tdk_1997 said:

@lvenger said:

@tdk_1997 said:

I don't think that the choices are bad or anything, I just think that most of those don't deserve to be that high up. I love Aaron's Thor run but he doesn't deserve to be in the Top 10. Same goes for Whedon's X-Men run and Millar's Ultimates run. Those are all great runs but they shouldn't be so highly praised.

Lot of incredible runs throughout Marvel's history have been ignored: Greg Pak's Hulk run, DeMatteis' ASM run, Kelly's ASM run, Bendis' Daredevil run, Peter David's X-Factor run, JMS' Thor run, Simonson's Thor run, Gruenwald's Captain America run and etc. There's indeed too much amazing runs that deserve to be here but I think that a lot of old school Marvel runs have been ignored here and that is why I said it;s crap.

Those 3 runs almost made it to the top 10 along with Stan Lee´s Spider-Man.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I knew Brubaker Cap would be in there, but I didn't expect it to be number one. And I'm glad UXF made it - it was the first comic I really fell in love with after I starting reading again.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

not bad

~MiB

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good stuff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

I forgot all about Yost's X-force run. It was amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-61bde0e570bb9
deactivated-61bde0e570bb9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yayyy!!!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By TDK_1997

@tdk_1997 said:

@lvenger said:

@tdk_1997 said:

Those 3 runs almost made it to the top 10 along with Stan Lee´s Spider-Man.

That's a shame. As much as I dislike Stan Lee's run I think it deserves to be here because it had a big influence on Spider-Man and all of the other writers that came after him.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

A tad disappointed Frank Miller's DD run didn't crack the top ten. I understand the ages of most CVers is younger and they're not going to vote for something that came out when they were 5 years old, or in many cases before they were born, but that DD run was a huge part of what Marvel was then and really defined DD (even though Waid did break off from that a little bit.) From that same era was Claremont's X-Men which I'm happy did make the list but I always liked Miller's DD more.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool list but no Superior Foes of Spiderman?

Also, I'm pretty surprised at Brubaker's Cap run being number 1.

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A tad disappointed Frank Miller's DD run didn't crack the top ten. I understand the ages of most CVers is younger and they're not going to vote for something that came out when they were 5 years old, or in many cases before they were born, but that DD run was a huge part of what Marvel was then and really defined DD (even though Waid did break off from that a little bit.) From that same era was Claremont's X-Men which I'm happy did make the list but I always liked Miller's DD more.

THIS!!!!!!!

-daydream-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brubakers Captain America and Bendis Ultimate Spider-Man beat Claremonts X-Men??

cause maybe Vine users are too young to remember or read Claremonts X-Men..

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool list but no Superior Foes of Spiderman?

Also, I'm pretty surprised at Brubaker's Cap run being number 1.

IIRC Superior Foes was in 15th place with 27 points.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cattlebattle said:

Yeah, the voters are ignorant ill-informed. This is why I didn't vote. I haven't read everything I need to in order to make an informed decision, nor do all the runs I've read and enjoyed belong in the top 10 (although Lee/Ditko's ASM does belong, not sure what happened there).

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By cattlebattle

@-daydream- said:

@cattlebattle said:

Yeah. That's kind of what I was thinking, either too young or they haven't read a whole lot of Marvel. It's missing a lot of runs that were way more indelible to the company altogether as well. Gerry Conways run on Spider-Man, which included the "death of Gwen Stacey" story ,changed the game and gave Marvel the edge in popularity and quality over the years. Frank Millers Daredevil is missing.....Byrnes Fantastic Four, Simonsons Thor. During the 1980s Claremont also wrote the New Mutants, which along with Bill Sinkewiecz on art, outsold everything everything but Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four and was one of the only "spin offs" of another title that tied together with it's parent book seamlessly, instead of being tangential. Bendis run on Avengers which brought the team and characters like Luke Cage into a new found popularity is not mentioned, Potts and Jim Lees work on Punisher was pretty groundbreaking for its time.

All the stuff on the list is just recent, and doesn't suck as bad as other current things.

-daydream-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@-daydream- said:

@cattlebattle said:

Yeah. That's kind of what I was thinking, either too young or they haven't read a whole lot of Marvel. It's missing a lot of runs that were way more indelible to the company altogether as well. Gerry Conways run on Spider-Man, which included the "death of Gwen Stacey" story ,changed the game and gave Marvel the edge in popularity and quality over the years. Frank Millers Daredevil is missing.....Byrnes Fantastic Four, Simonsons Thor. During the 1980s Claremont also wrote the New Mutants, which along with Bill Sinkewiecz on art, outsold everything everything but Spider-Man, X-Men and Fantastic Four and one was the only "spin offs" of another title that tied together with it's parent book seamlessly. Bendis run on Avengers which brought the team and characters like Luke Cage into a new found popularity, Potts and Jim Lees work on Punisher was pretty groundbreaking for its time.

All the stuff on the list is just recent, and doesn't suck as bad as other current things.

i am glad you praised Bendis close to end, otherwise i wouldnt read the rest of things you said if u mentioned it in the begining :)

Bendis....meh, no thanks...

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, the voters are ignorant ill-informed. This is why I didn't vote. I haven't read everything I need to in order to make an informed decision, nor do all the runs I've read and enjoyed belong in the top 10 (although Lee/Ditko's ASM does belong, not sure what happened there).

It's probably not a popular opinion but I really think the Ultimate Universe was violent schlock that kind of bastardized a lot of really good characters and concepts....and Grant Morrisons X-Men kind of missed the point of the X-Men in some regards. Grant Morrison has even admitted in interviews he wasn't a tremendously big fan of the work he put into that run......but I guess popularity always outshines quality and reverence.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i am glad you praised Bendis close to end, otherwise i wouldnt read the rest of things you said if u mentioned it in the begining :)

Bendis....meh, no thanks...

I always thought his Daredevil run was pretty good, and, while I don't think there was anything spectacular about "New Avengers" it did drag the Avengers back into the fold as the main hero team at Marvel.....but yeah, most of his other stuff is bleh, just bleh.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy said:

It's probably not a popular opinion but I really think the Ultimate Universe was violent schlock that kind of bastardized a lot of really good characters and concepts....and Grant Morrisons X-Men kind of missed the point of the X-Men in some regards. Grant Morrison has even admitted in interviews he wasn't a tremendously big fan of the work he put into that run......but I guess popularity always outshines quality and reverence.

Morrison´s X-Men is highly praised by almost everyone.

SinnTek1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read this list and all I thought was "Pretty much." Good job guys.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By cattlebattle

@thor_parker82 said:

Got to the X-Men forums. The fans opinion there would suggest otherwise. I am actually a big X-Men fan and while I think the run does break the book out of the funk it fell into during the late 90s, and shifts the paradigm a bit, it's not really all that great. Nobody likes cat-Beast, lol.

Thor-Parker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Thor-Parker

@cattlebattle said:

@thor_parker82 said:

Got to the X-Men forums. The fans opinion there would suggest otherwise. I am actually a big X-Men fan and while I think the run does break the book out of the funk it fell into during the late 90s, and shift the paradigm a bit, it's not really all that great. Nobody likes cat-Beast, lol.

Almost on every website I have seen and every X-Men fan on the internet, like Morrison´s X-Men. I have never seen hate for it.

And from what I have read it´s highly considered one of the best runs on the X-Men.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthmummy said:

I agree on all points.

I think the Ultimate universe is a failure because it wanted to be different while still remaining the same. The worst part was that the differences and similarities between 616 and 1610 were for their own sake; no thought as given to the essential characteristics of the originals, or how they would be changed to make 1610 a worthwhile endeavor. In Spider-man's case, the result was a run that retreaded the same ground that Lee, Ditko, and others pioneered, with only the illusion of adding something new.

A lot of people miss the point when it comes to the X-men. It used to be that they were all about being different, and ho to deal with a society that tends to hate and fear those differences. Now, it's like the allegory has ceased to be, replaced by a convoluted science fiction epic populated by characters that are no longer connected to the dream upon which the team was founded.