• 84 results
#1 Posted by kingsloth (249 posts) - - Show Bio

What are peoples thoughts, also what do you think is the worse major crossover event?

#2 Posted by Pokeysteve (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really a fan of any MAJOR crossovers. None of them are really that good. I did really like Our Worlds At War though. Read that a couple times.

All of the Crisis stories were pretty boring (not counting Identity Crisis).

#3 Edited by kingsloth (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve said:

I'm not really a fan of any MAJOR crossovers. None of them are really that good. I did really like Our Worlds At War though. Read that a couple times.

I will agree that crossover events are more often bad than good, but I mean not all the crisis were not horrible (identity crisis was awful) but crisis on infinite earths is a classic.

#4 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (8023 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate events Period

#5 Posted by guttridgeb (4832 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War, easily.

#6 Posted by Pokeysteve (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingsloth said:

@Pokeysteve said:

I will agree that crossover events are more often bad than good, but I mean not all the crisis were not horrible (identity crisis was awful) but crisis on infinite earths is a classic.

I liked Infinite Crisis. Hated Final Crisis. Crisis On Infinite Earths is good but the first 1/2 - 2/3 is so boring. I thought Identity Crisis out shined all of them and it wasn't even part of the series. Definitely the best story.

#7 Posted by gravitypress (2066 posts) - - Show Bio

In my opinion Infinity Gauntlet.

#8 Posted by Rabbitearsblog (6028 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel vs DC is the best and worst! It was fixed but fans got to see one on one match ups with their favorites. Look at the Hulks head, you know this is bad but good!

#11 Posted by Xwraith (21417 posts) - - Show Bio

I got back into comics shortly before Fear Itself, and between that and AVX, I've learned to hate major crossovers.

#12 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pokeysteve: I agree, I really liked Infinite Crisis & only made it through CoIE because it's almost "mandatory" to be a "real" DC fan. (Though to be fair to the story, it's hard for me to read old comics because the art is so far & away from what modern technology allows (and so now nice art gets me through slow parts in books). I couldn't make it through DKReturns because the art got to me so much).

#13 Posted by Z3RO180 (6709 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil war

#14 Posted by Pokeysteve (8661 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout said:

@Pokeysteve: I agree, I really liked Infinite Crisis & only made it through CoIE because it's almost "mandatory" to be a "real" DC fan. (Though to be fair to the story, it's hard for me to read old comics because the art is so far & away from what modern technology allows (and so now nice art gets me through slow parts in books). I couldn't make it through DKReturns because the art got to me so much).

I know exactly what you mean! It's like peer pressure to read that lol. I really wanted to read 52 though, which I loved. I didn't have a problem with the art from DKR but have a hard time getting through anything drawn by Tim Sale.

#15 Posted by Cap10nate (2726 posts) - - Show Bio

Annihilation. I just re-read Annihilation with all the prequals and it is such a good story. That coupled with the Nova run, GOTG, Conquest, and the Thanos Imparative. It is an amazing character exploration of Richard Rider. After re-reading everything, I am almost happy that they are not using him for the new series. The story of Richard Rider from Annihilation to his death in the Imparative is perfect and shouldn't be tampered.

#16 Posted by TheCannon (19420 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel: Civil War

DC: Blackest Night

#17 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel: Civil War

DC: Crisis on Infinite Wars

Overall: Civil War

#18 Posted by Markus_Langbourn (387 posts) - - Show Bio
Easily. Superb tie-ins and miniseries and the best event main series of all time. Perfection in comic form.
#19 Posted by Moonchilde (1601 posts) - - Show Bio

Well,the most influential, as well as the one that had the most lasting impact, would have to be "Crisis of Infinite Earths."

Personal favorite would be "Infinity Gauntlet."

#20 Posted by dondave (38892 posts) - - Show Bio

Sinestro Corps War

#21 Posted by Captain_Yesterday (807 posts) - - Show Bio

@MadeinBangladesh said:

I hate events Period

This.

#22 Posted by cuddles666 (310 posts) - - Show Bio

@Markus_Langbourn said:

Easily. Superb tie-ins and miniseries and the best event main series of all time. Perfection in comic form.

QFT.

#23 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

@MadeinBangladesh said:

I hate events Period

what's probably worse: Period events. (take that as you will)

wow...I see someone said Final Crisis....not one to start fights..but...wow. I'm a huge DC fan, not against events, and liked the idea of FC, but IDC that it was written by GM it was sloppy & just a chaotic mess. The novelization of it by Greg Cox was MUCH clearer & I really liked it (probably what GM envisioned but couldn't get out)

#24 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2099 posts) - - Show Bio

Crisis on Infinite Earths. When it came out, events like this were rare, and it was something like 4 years in the making. IMHO, still the best.

Worst: Secret Wars..same year, but it was pretty obvious Marvel just rushed it out to beat DC to the sales racks. That series was more like "4 weeks in the making" and it read like it.

#25 Posted by kingsloth (249 posts) - - Show Bio

@lightsout: what do you mean by period events?

#26 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingsloth: lol... I well my actual intention was a joke at the definition of period that is a woman menstruating, but leaving it open to be interpreted as "period" as in "period piece" (historical, etc), so I could blame the "dirty" interpretation on the reader.

#27 Posted by Spawn92 (285 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War is what got me back into comics. It took everything I knew about Marvel and its characters, and flipped it on it's side. Here we are 7 years later and the Marvel universe is still changed by this event (although some of the changes are pretty bad).

#28 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

Crisis on Infinite Earths.

#29 Posted by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

Sinestro Corp War, Some of Blackest Night, Infinite Crisis

#30 Posted by kingjoeg (693 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil War

Infinity Gauntlet

Blackest Night

#31 Posted by The Stegman (25992 posts) - - Show Bio

To me, the greatest event ever is Crisis on Infinite Earths. Not because it's the best written, but because of the impact it had.

1. It took the convoluted mess that was the DC universe and made into a neat and tidy single universe. (unlike the New 52)

2. It gave us over two decades of interesting stories, keeping old characters without changing them /too/ drastically (unlike the New 52)

3. It gave us plenty of heartfelt moments, like Barry Allen sacrificing himself, and Supergirl dying.

#32 Posted by judasnixon (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

My fav....

#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35007 posts) - - Show Bio

Annihilation

#34 Posted by Howard_The-Duck (266 posts) - - Show Bio

To me, the greatest event ever is Crisis on Infinite Earths. Not because it's the best written, but because of the impact it had.

1. It took the convoluted mess that was the DC universe and made into a neat and tidy single universe. (unlike the New 52)

2. It gave us over two decades of interesting stories, keeping old characters without changing them /too/ drastically (unlike the New 52)

3. It gave us plenty of heartfelt moments, like Barry Allen sacrificing himself, and Supergirl dying.

QFT

#35 Posted by trebean (704 posts) - - Show Bio

Blackest Night! All the Tie-Ins were interesting and could hold their own even without having to read through the entire event.

#36 Posted by Cgoodness (5990 posts) - - Show Bio

I like emotional tie-ins so Blackest Night

#37 Edited by AdamAnouer (334 posts) - - Show Bio

Secret Wars because in just 3 pages you see Spidey utterly outclass the X-Men only for Professor X to hit the magical reset button in a "Right we're all agreed. That never happened right?" kinda way.

#38 Posted by Deadgod (1500 posts) - - Show Bio

This

#39 Posted by Fallschirmjager (18949 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not really a big fan with events. Major ones anyway. They are too long, too hard to keep up with and frankly most of them today are just bad.

I'd probably pick Secret Wars if that counts.

#40 Posted by Outside_85 (10250 posts) - - Show Bio

Keeping this to DC, mostly:

Best:
Crisis on Infinite Earths, the measuring stick for all major crossovers

Honorable mentions:
Final Crisis, for showing the modern reader what events should be if they want to go beyond momentary entertainment value.
Infinity, for being an excellent event of the sort that FC is not.

Worst:
Brightest Day, a complete non-starter that was ignored by nearly everyone under the banner at the time of print.

Dishonorable mentions:
Genesis, that it was ignored by just about everyone after it was over tells you why.
Infinite Crisis, the only redeeming thing about this dumb garbage is that it lead to the 52 series.

#41 Posted by MarlboroMan (1790 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Best : Annihilation
Marvel Worst : Chaos War

DC Best : Sinestro Corps War
DC Worst : Brightest Day or Infinite Crisis

#42 Posted by Lvenger (21201 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally this though I thought COIE had some really strong writing as well. It had a bigger cast of characters than most events today do yet did most of them justice in their appearances in the event. That's a hallmark of a good event storyline if ever there was a criteria set up for events.

#43 Posted by SoA (5243 posts) - - Show Bio

#44 Posted by Cap10nate (2726 posts) - - Show Bio

Annihilation. I just re-read Annihilation with all the prequals and it is such a good story. That coupled with the Nova run, GOTG, Conquest, and the Thanos Imparative. It is an amazing character exploration of Richard Rider.

I stand by my opinion from a year ago that Annihilation is the best event. I was getting ready to post on this thread until I saw that I had already responded all that time ago.

#45 Posted by RD189 (1576 posts) - - Show Bio

I know it's not really an event, in the strictest sense, but given all the build up and mini tie ins to it, Grim Hunt is most certainly my favorite.

For the "traditionalists" (in before "Grim Hunt is not an event k plz thx) :

Best:

DC: Darkest Night, Final Crisis

Marvel: Civil War, Second Coming

Worst:

DC: COIE (blasphemy, but those old books have not aged well), Brightest Day

Marvel: Secret Invasion, Chaos War

Honorable Mentions:

Earth-X/Universe-X

Infinity

The Dark Knight Returns/Year One

Spider-Man: Reign

#46 Posted by Experio (17159 posts) - - Show Bio

Civil war

Final crisis

Annihilation

#47 Edited by Blackdog2009 (1918 posts) - - Show Bio

Psst, it's called Crisis on Infinite Earths. Nuff said.

#48 Posted by Jphu8414 (3877 posts) - - Show Bio

Crisis on Infinity Earths-no contest really

#49 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

@Markus_Langbourn said:

QFT.

Me too.

#50 Edited by Jonny_Anonymous (35007 posts) - - Show Bio

@cap10nate said:

Annihilation. I just re-read Annihilation with all the prequals and it is such a good story. That coupled with the Nova run, GOTG, Conquest, and the Thanos Imparative. It is an amazing character exploration of Richard Rider.

I stand by my opinion from a year ago that Annihilation is the best event. I was getting ready to post on this thread until I saw that I had already responded all that time ago.

agreed