Best Justice League Writer

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 10

Poll Best Justice League Writer (53 votes)

Grant Morrison 53%
Mark Waid 9%
Geoff Johns 23%
Joe Kelly 9%
Brad Meltzer 2%

Kelly gets my vote I didn't enjoy Morrisons one bit.

• 
EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 15

I voted for Johns. Grant Morrison's JL was very boring, I'll never read anything from Mark Waid again. I met him at at con before and he was an absolute d*ck. Brad and Joe had good runs too.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Morrison

Kelly

Waid

Johns and Brad shouldn't even be mentioned here,they're by far the worst JL writers,Giffen deserves to be here over those 2 morons.

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#7  Edited By ULTRAstarkiller

Morrison then Waid. I haven't read anything from Kelly.

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Where's Giffen and DeMatteis?

Johns and Brad shouldn't even be mentioned here,they're by far the worst JL writers,Giffen deserves to be here over those 2 morons.

Geez dude, I'm not a big fan of their JL runs either but... damn.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can't believe Johns is beating Waid and Kelly. I honestly don't see what people liked in Morrison's run.

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Night4345

Giffen and DeMatteis.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

Seriously why don't you like Morrison's run Sog? Easily one of the best modern comics to date IMO.

Morrison

Kelly

Waid

I definitely agree with these 3 being the best Justice League writers and with Johns being one of the worst plus Giffen deserving some credit. But I liked Meltzer's run for what it was. McDuffie's run was far superior, I don't deny that but Meltzer did a good job on the JLA IMO.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Morrison, but I much preferred JLI.

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

Morrison for me, man gave us a reason why the League deals with the biggest threats.

Agree with those wondering what Johns is doing here.

Avatar image for symbioticspider-man
SymbioticSpider-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By nickthedevil

Damn. It's between Morrison and Johns for me. I didn't like Waid's treatement for the New Gods.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By johnny_blaze

It seems like it's cool to hate on Geoff Johns nowadays. Years ago, everyone was ass-kissing his GL run.

Avatar image for theincrediblesuperhulk8642
TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Giffen and DeMatteis should be on here. but Morrison`s the best followed by Waid, Giffen DeMatteis, Kelly and Meltzer. Gohns would be 6th for me.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Billy Batson

Giffen and DeMatteis > everyone else

BB

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison easily

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I think I may just not be a Morrison fan. I didn't enjoy his Batman, I disliked Final Crisis, Multiversity isn't for me and everything except for New World Order wasn't enjoyable for me. I loved All Star, I loved his Action Comics, I enjoyed Flex Mentallo, I enjoyed the first few issues of his Batman and Robin, but everything else has fallen flat for me.

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison and Waid for me

devitciiu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 17

Joe Kelly. I loved Golden Perfect and Obsidian Age.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lvenger

@sog7dc: Fair enough, he is an acquired taste. Then why isn't the late Dwayne McDuffie's JLA run on here? That was really solid superhero stories with some excellent action and characterisation. McDuffie did good stuff with Red Tornado's humanity, Vixen's power absorption and penned some of the best JLA fights in the team's history.

SOG7dc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger:

I haven't gotten a chance to read McDuffie's run yet. I'll certainly be checking it out eventually.

I like Morrison sometimes. When I feel like he's tame. I even liked his 5th dimension story in his Action Comics run. But "crisis times 5" was just awful for me. I read it 3 times and Morrison asked too much of me as a reader with that one. Some very annoying and childish characters and personalities (I absolutely hated how he wrote Kyle Rayner), in Rock of Ages I think he started off great and then, somewhere along the line, he got way too big for his britches (or maybe my britches?) sort of like what Hickman did in Infinity. He had some great one-shots and short story arcs, though. I did enjoy WW3. Throughout his entire run I had a bunch of minor gripes that just annoyed me as I read. (Huntress surviving in space for any time at all huntress hurting LKZ with an arrow, how weak the JL members were, how imaginative he wrote Kyle off-panel but how stupid he wrote him on-panel etc.). I am a fan of Grant's writing though. All Star was amazing, I've come around on his Batman work, Flex Mentallo was cool, his Action Comics was great...to sum it all up I'd say Grant is my James Joyce of comic books. An extremely intelligent and competent writer but sometimes he writes gibberish for the sake of gibberish.

Joe Kelly and Mark Waid knocked JLA out of the park IMO. Synchronicity and Golden Perfect are two of my all time favorites. I can't forget Heavens Ladder and the Obsidian Age either. I like the intamcy in Kelly's JLA and the strong, plot driven stories of Waids run.

All that said and it could just be that Morrison is smarter than me. I count myself as a pretty smart kid but some of his stuff I just can't make heads or tails of.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

Grant Morrison and Waid but I like Johns run too.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sog7dc: Wow very nice post mate, I can definitely understand where you're coming from in regards to the recent Hickman and his overly pretentious and complicated Avengers run. I'd still say that Morrison made his JLA stories a lot more personal and had the right characterisation for the most part but still you make a fair and balanced comparison. I also agree with you in regards to Kelly and Waid's awesome JLA runs. Kelly's is my second favourite thanks to its introspective looks at the JLA members and Waid had some excellent plots and story ideas. Those 3 runs are simply the gold standard for modern JLA stories IMO.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Morrison, the answer's always Morrison.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grant Morrison. I really want to see Rock of Ages adapted into animated movie or live action movie

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

Jphu8414

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

Grant Morrison

mandman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

entropy_aegis

Giffen should be mentioned, but Metzler was crucial to the new DC status quo. Geof pre fshpt only co-wrote five JL issues, so his impact on title was slight.

Kelly combined Morrison's amazing concepts with Waid's spot on character conflict to craft the ultimate JLA.

Morrison's JLA was great, Waid's was great. I loved and miss these runs. Busiek deserves honorable mention, he wrote eight issues a short story and more.