This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff Online
#2 Edited by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

What?! No Jack Reacher? It's the greatest film EVER made! Move over Citizen Kane, Jack Reacher is in town!

Staff
#3 Posted by dondave (33502 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon

Online
#4 Posted by Loaf (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Christopher Nolan. Come on now

#5 Posted by Target_X (379 posts) - - Show Bio

Le~sigh, Whedon.

#6 Posted by Sammo21 (686 posts) - - Show Bio

I am glad Whedon is winning this right now. Dark Knight Rises is the worst of the trilogy and Nolan's worst film overall. So many lazy things in that film and half assed plot devices that have no explaining.

#7 Posted by Nightwing28710 (157 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon

#8 Posted by LordRequiem (1308 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon. Let's not praise Nolan for the worst entry in his franchise.

#9 Posted by kennybaese (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon for me. That The Avengers came together at all, much less was actually great, was a Herculean feat that can't be overstated. I enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises, but by the end of that movie, it felt like it started to collapse under its own weight.

Nolan isn't a stranger to keeping a number of high concept ideas and characters in the air at once, he did it brilliantly in Inception. The Dark Knight Rises was the first of his films that felt, in any way, sloppy to me. The concepts and themes at play within his movies have always been very clear, even if they do prompt a lot of debate and conversation, but the themes and ideas at play in The Dark Knight Rises, aside from those that aren't pulled from the previous movies, feel kind of pulled from thin air in a lot of respects.

The Avengers, on the other hand, performs it balancing act (with its characters rather than its concepts) almost perfectly. The invasion army at the end felt incredibly throw away, but that was balanced out by Hiddleston's performance as Loki. Otherwise, all of the characters in the movie felt like they were treated fairly and all got their time in the spotlight (with maybe the exception of Hawkeye, but nothing's perfect). Again, that Joss Whedon was able to pull it off at all, much less pull it off well, makes him the best comic book director of the year for me.

#10 Posted by Dark_Vengeance_ (14586 posts) - - Show Bio

Crap! I voted Nolan accidentally. I wanted to vote Whedon guys.

#11 Posted by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: It was great and TOm cruise now fits into the action heroes. But I kno it won't get nominate dbecause it is more 2013 than 2012 and more action hero than comic book.

but yaa awesome movie.

#12 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19889 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego said:

What?! No Jack Reacher? It's the greatest film EVER made! Move over Citizen Kane, Jack Reacher is in town!

I've laughed at every single one of these polls and you exclaiming there is no Jack Reacher. Did you seriously enjoy that film so much? Or are you just making fun of it?

#13 Posted by Fetts (4358 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan. But Whedon comes in for a very close second.

#14 Posted by TheAmazingImmortalMan (2640 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan

#15 Posted by mcclellanscott (79 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Nolan

#16 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1664 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Nolan's job but I'm gonna admit it Whedon makes a badass job

#17 Posted by ComicStooge (11836 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@inferiorego said:

What?! No Jack Reacher? It's the greatest film EVER made! Move over Citizen Kane, Jack Reacher is in town!

I've laughed at every single one of these polls and you exclaiming there is no Jack Reacher. Did you seriously enjoy that film so much? Or are you just making fun of it?

Jack Reacher was pretty good.

#18 Posted by coolbeans (253 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a difference between movies and films. not to take anything away from it because it was a blast to watch, but Avengers is a movie. Dark Knight Rises is a film. As far as directors go I would take Nolan over Whedon any day.

#19 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon takes the cake.

#20 Posted by Backflip (2256 posts) - - Show Bio

Nolan's Batman, will always be the bar we registered movies of such an atmosphere against, but it's undeniable that Whedon had a much harder task on his hand by attempting to meld all these different characters, genres, and styles effectively, and he made it look effortless.

#21 Posted by johnkmccubbin91 (3486 posts) - - Show Bio

Although I've loved Chris Nolan's films and especially the Batman Trilogy, this one wasn't the best, and Avengers was much better do my vote goes to Joss Whedon

#22 Posted by bloggerboy (535 posts) - - Show Bio

@Sammo21 said:

I am glad Whedon is winning this right now. Dark Knight Rises is the worst of the trilogy and Nolan's worst film overall. So many lazy things in that film and half assed plot devices that have no explaining.

But that would be the fault of the writing I imagine. As directing goes, Nolan is superior to anyone else on the list. There was never a moment where I was at the edge of my seat when watching The Avengers for example, as awesome as that was.

#23 Posted by Sammo21 (686 posts) - - Show Bio

@bloggerboy: Considering Nolan helped write it, I guess that makes it even worse then. There was never a moment I was at the edge of my seat as nothing in that movie was surprising since it has terribly written and directed foreshadowing. Unlike the last 2 movies where Nolan made everything believable and explained nearly everything (outside of the Joker, obviously), he just let so many things go. Not to mention that ending came from a mile away.

#24 Posted by TheCannon (17839 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I loved Wheadon, Nolan. The Dark Knight Rises was perfect in every way.

#25 Posted by TDK_1997 (14443 posts) - - Show Bio

Christopher Nolan.

#26 Posted by inferiorego (21112 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: I never saw Jack Reacher, but my friends and I talk about it like it's the greatest film of all time.

Staff
#27 Posted by Lvenger (17901 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon by far. Nolan made far too many slip ups in TDKR whilst Whedon embraced the Avengers film for what it was and blended every character seen on the Marvel screen so far brilliantly.

#28 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon, simply because for what he had to achieve for the Avengers to work as a film, he achieved it and more. But Nolan would come a close second.

#29 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19889 posts) - - Show Bio

@inferiorego: That's funny. Everyone knows Catwoman is the best film in the history of ever.

#30 Posted by SHAZAM117 (2495 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon easy. The sheer effort it took to bring a movie like Avengers together and incorporate major characters whom each have had their own succesful movie and make it believable was quite a feat. I imagine it to trying to keep a house of cards together knowing it could fall apart anytime if not done correctly.

#31 Posted by jesse10022 (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who picks anything for TDKR is a fanboy. That movie was garbage.

#32 Posted by Sharkbite (291 posts) - - Show Bio

Axel Braun.

#33 Posted by Bo88gdan (4393 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon

#34 Posted by RoboShark (1208 posts) - - Show Bio

I think Whedon did something special with Avengers.

#35 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7561 posts) - - Show Bio

Whedon hands down.

#36 Posted by iHailCarlo (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Chris Nolan did an excellent job with Batman.

#37 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers could have very easily gone wrong, so Whedon gets my vote.

#38 Edited by ImmortalOne (3264 posts) - - Show Bio

@jesse10022 said:

Anyone who picks anything for TDKR is a fanboy. That movie was garbage.

Listen up, everyone! GOD HAS SPOKEN! The Dark Knight Rises was garbage, and people can't have their own opinions now!

#39 Posted by GodDamnIronMan (1553 posts) - - Show Bio

@kennyshat said:

Whedon for me. That The Avengers came together at all, much less was actually great, was a Herculean feat that can't be overstated. I enjoyed The Dark Knight Rises, but by the end of that movie, it felt like it started to collapse under its own weight.

Nolan isn't a stranger to keeping a number of high concept ideas and characters in the air at once, he did it brilliantly in Inception. The Dark Knight Rises was the first of his films that felt, in any way, sloppy to me. The concepts and themes at play within his movies have always been very clear, even if they do prompt a lot of debate and conversation, but the themes and ideas at play in The Dark Knight Rises, aside from those that aren't pulled from the previous movies, feel kind of pulled from thin air in a lot of respects.

The Avengers, on the other hand, performs it balancing act (with its characters rather than its concepts) almost perfectly. The invasion army at the end felt incredibly throw away, but that was balanced out by Hiddleston's performance as Loki. Otherwise, all of the characters in the movie felt like they were treated fairly and all got their time in the spotlight (with maybe the exception of Hawkeye, but nothing's perfect). Again, that Joss Whedon was able to pull it off at all, much less pull it off well, makes him the best comic book director of the year for me.

QFT.

Whedon managed to combine all those character with different personalities...the tone of the movie was great.

#40 Posted by iaconpoint (1239 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta go with Joss just because of cast size.