#1 Posted by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman or otherwise. What are the best detective stories in comics?

#2 Posted by ccraft (5593 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: Hush, Earth One, the Cult

#3 Edited by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

#4 Posted by ccraft (5593 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: the cult isn't really detective comic, but its still really good.

Nope that's all of the Batman comics that I got that involves any detective aspect, unless you haven't read Court of the Owls.

#5 Edited by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: Thank you. I'm not looking for just batman though. I appreciate the suggestions but I'm open to any good detective story

#6 Posted by ccraft (5593 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Have you read Fatale? It's a pretty good detective series. Image comics

GUNS! SEX! SECRET CULTS! AND MONSTERS! Nothing the BEST-SELLING and AWARD-WINNING creators of SLEEPER, CRIMINAL and INCOGNITO have done so far will prepare you for the explosive debut of FATALE! A reporter in 2012 stumbles on a secret that leads him down the darkest path imaginable to a seductive woman who's been on the run since 1935, a mobster who may be an immortal demon monster, and the stories of all the doomed men who've been caught in their decades-long struggle. FATALE blends noir and horror to tell a riveting epic unlike anything you've seen before.

#7 Posted by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

@ccraft: That sounds really good. I'll have to check it out

#8 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

Fatale is awesome, I definitely recommend it.

#9 Edited by ccraft (5593 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Hope you like it, its really good!

#10 Edited by Blackdog2009 (1928 posts) - - Show Bio

Identity Crisis was pretty awesome.

Batman the Ten Nights of the Beast.

Green Arrow The Longbow Hunters.

Batman Year One

Cinder and Ashe (very nature material but it's a classic)

#11 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Soft Targets from Gotham Central

Unresolved from Gotham Central

The opening arc of Fables

Criminals from Legends of the Dark Knight

#12 Posted by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for all the suggestions folks

#13 Posted by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

Anymore?

#14 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

Obviously Hush.

#15 Posted by Wolverine08 (45683 posts) - - Show Bio

The Question: Zen and Violence by Dennis O'Neil. Incredible story.

#16 Posted by TheFirstLantern (1510 posts) - - Show Bio

Hush, The Long Halloween.

#17 Posted by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: Is hush actually a good detective story? Because the idea I have of it is that it's a visual treat and great action

#18 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: It's my favorite comic book of all time. It's not just amazing art and great action, but it also has quite a lot of depth to it.

#19 Posted by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: All-Star Batman and Robin is the single worst, most grotesque, immature, offensive, and overall atrociously written comic I've ever read in my entire life. It's actually the worst piece of professional literature I've ever read in my life, not just from comics. The only good thing about it is Jim Lee, which Hush has, too.

#21 Posted by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: I actually like it now that I know it's an alternate universe batman. I'm

Interested in that super offensive and immature universe now. But there's no denying the art is a masterpiece and one d Jim lee's best works. Which do you think is a better Jim lee art work? Hush or allstar?

#22 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: From a technical perspective, All-Star has slightly better art, though the situations in Hush are more fun to look at (mutated Killer Croc fight, Batman vs. Superman, etc.). Though I have absolutely have no idea how anyone can even slightly tolerate reading All-Star. The only reason I can imagine someone enjoying it is for the art or for being "so bad it's good."

#23 Posted by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: I actually felt the same way you do. But then someone explained that allstar was the batman from a different earth. So that made me re-read it with a new perspective. And as it stands in it's own universe I enjoyed the concept of a batman who kills and is certifiably insane

#24 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: A Batman who kills in an alternate universe is fine, but it was executed so very poorly. Seriously, I gave up on all hope for the comic as soon Wonder Woman calls a dude who she crosses on the street a "sperm bank" for no fricking reason! Not to mention the repititious "goddamn" crap and that hilariously bad "what, are you dense?" line. But coming from the dude who wrote The Dark Knight Strikes Again and muslim-hunting Batman, why would anyone bother reading it in the first place?

#25 Posted by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

@rulerofthisuniverse: Lol I totally understand your ire but when I think of the dc multiverse it's totally acceptable, at least to me, that there is a universe wherein those characters exist as they exist in allstar. I've never even heard of strikes again or Muslim hunter. But a batman that will set you on fire and then beat you while you die and then have implied sex amongst your dead bodies with black canary is pretty cool and intriguing lol

#27 Edited by Ace20XD6 (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Rat Catcher is a good detective story, so are most Vertigo crimes books though.

#28 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (6366 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Yeah, I guess. Anyway, Dark Knight Strikes Again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Dark_Knight_Strikes_Again

And Holy Terror (originally with Batman)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holy_Terror_(graphic_novel)

Both insult all of literature.

#29 Edited by QueenCorp15 (1035 posts) - - Show Bio

For batman probly the black mirror

Then definately daredevil: end of days, an amazing detective story thats a must read.

Then the whole gotham central series

#30 Edited by SOG7dc (8141 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#31 Posted by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: Black Mirror, Long Halloween, Hush

Identity Crisis, definitely!

The Question: Zen and Violence