Best Comics of the Month: July 2015

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

July is one crazy month for comics. There's summer events from either Marvel or DC and it's the month that hosts San Diego Comic Con, so there's tons of stuff going on. On top of that, we live in an awesome time for comic books, so picking out our favorites is actually incredibly tough. After hours of debate, we did end up getting our picks for the best comics of the month narrowed down. Here they are.

Tony's Picks

SECRET WARS #4

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by Jonathan Hickman

Art by Esad Ribic

Colors by Ive Svorcina

The pieces are starting to fall into place. At the end of the first issue, we saw some heroes (and villains) set out to save themselves from the Incursion Wave. Here is where they pop up and find out how insane things have become. We even see Doom get off his throne to investigate their arrival. Needless to say, not all the heroes are willing to sit back and listen to how he is the god of Battleworld. The intensity is cranked up and we’re left on the edge of our seats for the next issue.

When it comes to big comic book events, it’s usually around the halfway point where we see things start to fall apart. That isn’t the case with Jonathan Hickman’s story that he’s been setting up for some time. Esad Ribic’s art and Ive Svorcina’s colors continue to amaze. You just have to love when you have a big exciting story with some really nice art.

DEADLY CLASS #14

No Caption Provided

(Image)

Written by Rick Remender

Art by Wes Craig

Colors by Lee Loughridge

Things keep getting messier and messier for Marcus Lopez. After barely managing to survive not one insane and bloody fight but two, it looked like things could return to normal in the safety of the Kings Dominion School of the Deadly Arts. It turned out that wasn’t quite the case. Marcus is trying to recoup and recover from his wounds. His person life also has taken a bit of a hit as a result of these other deadly activities. You thought high school was tough? You haven’t seen anything compared to what Marcus is going through.

Rick Remender and Wes Craig keep me hooked month after month. This issue’s action and violence were a little toned down but that’s a good thing considering how high octane things got the last few issues. We need a chance to catch our breath. And things aren’t looking too great for Marcus as the issue closes.

BATMAN #42

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Scott Snyder

Pencils by Greg Capullo

Inks by Danny Miki

Colors by FCO Plascencia

Yes, this isn’t the Batman we’re used to. It should be clear to everyone that this is not a permanent change in the book. The idea of Batman being replaced by Jim Gordon in a robo-batsuit sounds pretty crazy. That’s a huge part of the fun. I a totally on board with seeing this explored and finding out how it’ll play out. We do get to see some other aspects of this new operation. We’re also seeing different villains for “Batman” and if you weren’t saying “What the heck?” to yourself at the end of the issue, I’m not sure what else to say.

Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, Danny Miki, and FCO Plascencia have been killing in not the series lately. It may not be the same thing we’ve been reading but that’s a good thing. They’re getting a chance to tell a different kind of Batman story and it lets us read a different type of story as well. There is a bigger mystery weaving its way throughout the pages and this team knows how to keep the readers engaged.

Honorable Mention: HAWKEYE #22, JUSTICE LEAGUE #42, BLACK WIDOW #20

Mat's Picks

ANT-MAN ANNUAL #1

No Caption Provided

(Marvel)

Written by Nick Spencer

Art by Brent Schoonover & Ramon Rosanas

Colors by Jordan Boyd

Nick Spencer's run on ANT-MAN has been sensational. While is was quite the bummer to see SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN go, this new series has really filled the void the book left. It's fun and reinvents a character that many people saw as a joke.

This particular issue goes back in time to where Hank Pym and Scott Lang teamed up with each other. It's an incredibly fun adventure, and a great stand-alone issue, which is something I love when it comes to Annual issues.

There's two different artist on here, but it works so well considering the book is split between the past and present. Nothing made me laugh harder than the A.I. Wonder Man telling he's a terrible actor. It was simply perfect.

STAR TREK/GREEN LANTERN #1

No Caption Provided

(IDW)

Written by Mike Johnson

Art by Angel Hernandez

Colors by Alejandro Sanchez

Last month, I rambled on about how GHOSTBUSTERS: GET REAL was the best idea for a comic ever. Then, STAR TREK/GREEN LANTERN came along. It's like a light bulb went off above my head, followed by a giant neon sign that said "duh."

The comic itself smashed these two properties together insanely well. We see the rebooted cinematic members of the Star Trek fleet and they're doing what they normally do: exploring the universe. Eventually, the came along some lantern rings and all heck broke loose.

It was more than just that though. There's a great cliffhanger and the final pages had me on the edge of my seat. Sure, putting two properties together in the same title does just seem like a way to pull in new readers, but the content within this issue was so awesome.

GRAYSON #10

No Caption Provided

(DC)

Written by Tim Seeley, with Tom King on Plot

Art by Mikel Janin

Colors by Jeromy Cox

Here comes the part of the feature where I tell you about the foot in my mouth. I was/am a Nightwing fan and while I said I gave GRAYSON a fair shot when it started up, I don't think I truly did because this series is outstanding. Once my Nightwing-fanboy-rage subsided and I read this series, I knew I was 100% wrong.

This past issue was fantastic and I love how it all ties back to the events that happened to Dick Grayson during Forever Evil. Lex Luthor works so well in this series, even though he seems like he is in way too many places at once. I cannot wait to see the next few issues of this book to see how it all pans out.

Also, Mikel Janin and Jeromy Cox are two of the best artists working together in comics currently. Their page layouts and composition are top notch and such a pleasure to look at. I am usually not the biggest fan of espionage comics, but this one is too good to ignore.

Honorable Mention: BOOK OF DEATH #1, PREZ #2, ARCHIE #1

That's it for the month of July! We'll see you fine folks next month with a new batch of books. Let us know what you loved in the comment section!

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Descender #5

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

Why is Spoc touching Hal?

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@teerack said:

i ship it

Stahlflamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

@teerack said:

Vulcan mindmelt?

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about Greg's picks?

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What about Greg's picks?

Greg has been gone for a while. As least as a full time staff.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Incursion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Secret wars 4

Janjaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Tony's picks, totally agree.

IDontLikeBirds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@teerack said:

Vulcan mindmelt?

Vulcan mindMELD. He's not melting his brain. :P It allows their thoughts to be shared telepathically, in essence "melding" their minds into one.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

DEF Secret Wars

Deadly Class

Nailbiter

BIG MAN PLANS!

~MiB

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The only one I agree with here is Grayson 10. What about Justice League 42? What about Bloodshot Reborn 4? What about Ivar, Timewalker?

Trodorne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 58

User Lists: 15

Grayson, He-man and Green lantern/Star Trek, Justice League 42, Hawkeye Finale.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

@teerack said:

It's a mind mystery.

Oh yeah, it's Spock. :P

ThePieter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hawkeye #22

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Secret Six number 4 was great.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off I gotta admit that DC's comics have gone way up in quality after Convergence. I'm actually looking forward to all the titles I pick up. So gotta give kudos where kudos are due.

But still my favorites from the month are.

Superman #42 - Packed with story. Actually not one splash page in all 24 pages. Gotta be a first.

Grayson #10 - Loved the meeting between Lex and Dick. Especially when Dick jumps off the cliff.

Wonder Woman #42 - Pretty cool villain so far.

And honorable mention for Martian Manhunter #2 - J'on has an epic fight and then uses his mind powers to own the JL. Epic.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

A lot of good DC stuff here.

davidnappy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By davidnappy

Starlord and kitty pryde was a personal favorite. Also really enjoyes the end of Hawkeye.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bladewolf said:

What about Greg's picks?

What's happening to CV??? Jen left after only making a couple of dozen posts, Corey rarely posts (if ever), and now you tell me Greg isn't full time anymore? :(

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

After reading the Star Trek/Green Lantern crossover, I have the feeling that it will go down the path of: GL, good, Sinestro corps, evil.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@feartheliving said:
@bladewolf said:

What about Greg's picks?

What's happening to CV??? Jen left after only making a couple of dozen posts, Corey rarely posts (if ever), and now you tell me Greg isn't full time anymore? :(

Yeah it was pretty shocking as I felt he did most of the articles and a lot of reviews. Suppose that's between him and CV though.

Hiddenlight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Secret Wars 4 was completely awesome, I'm hyped for the next issue already.

Avatar image for originalalchemist
originalalchemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First off I gotta admit that DC's comics have gone way up in quality after Convergence. I'm actually looking forward to all the titles I pick up. So gotta give kudos where kudos are due.

But still my favorites from the month are.

Superman #42 - Packed with story. Actually not one splash page in all 24 pages. Gotta be a first.

Grayson #10 - Loved the meeting between Lex and Dick. Especially when Dick jumps off the cliff.

Wonder Woman #42 - Pretty cool villain so far.

And honorable mention for Martian Manhunter #2 - J'on has an epic fight and then uses his mind powers to own the JL. Epic.

This.

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

G-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers