Best Comics of the Month: January 2015

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

A new year calls for a whole brand new article which is suspiciously like one of our old ones. Welcome to Best Comics of the Month where the staff of Comic Vine picks three of their favorite books from the past month and lets you know why they rocked their faces off. Let's get right down to business.

Tony's Picks

STAR WARS #1

No Caption Provided

Written by Jason Aaron

Art by John Cassaday

Colors by Laura Martin

This is the STAR WARS comic I’ve been waiting for. Yes, we have had some good STAR WARS comics before. Some really good ones. This just felt a little different. Part of it could be the fact that both Star Wars and Marvel are owned by Disney. It’s all under one roof now. You know a lot of eyes are looking on this book to make sure it does capture the feel of the characters and does the franchise justice moving forward.

Jason Aaron did do just that. He captured the feel of Luke, Han, Leia, and the others. Some may have expressed concern over this taking place between Episodes IV and V but I feel that gives us some room to flesh out the missing years between the two films. There may be some limits as to what can or can’t happen but it’s also a time when we were all excited for the characters. I want to see the relationships grow between among these characters and to see how and why they became so committed to each other in The Empire Strikes Back.

Capturing character likeness isn’t always easy for licensed books. John Cassaday does bring the feel of them here as well as making all the environments and ships look as they should. Reading this comic has made me feel like a kid again and I can’t wait to read more.

BATMAN #38

No Caption Provided

Written by Scott Snyder

Art by Greg Capullo

Inks by Danny Miki

Colors by FCO Plascencia

Oh man. You know it’s going to be bad news for Batman when you get Scott Snyder and the Joker together. With the Joker now angry, we’re seeing less of the whimsical clown and more of the deadly and evil character Joker can be. Not only has Joker targeted Batman but Gotham City as well. In this issue we find out the city doesn’t have too much time left.

Snyder also introduces another element to the story. Seen in this issue and the last, could there be more to Joker than we all realized or thought? When it comes to Joker, you never can believe everything you see. Snyder has mentioned this will be the last time he uses Joker. Whether or not that remains the case, you get a feeling that he and Greg Capullo are going all out in this story. It’s not often you can read a Batman/Joker story and actually be a little afraid.

LADY KILLER #1

No Caption Provided

Written by Jamie S Rich

Art by Joelle Jones

Colors by Laura Allred

This book was such a delight to read. It’s funny to say that considering it’s about a 60s ‘perfect’ housewife who is secretly a killer for hire. Joëlle Jones’s art is simply amazing. The style and detail immediately blew me away. Throw in Laura Allred’s colors and there’s no way I could resist falling in love with this book.

Jamie S. Rich co-wrote the issue with Jones and they’ve set up a great premise. It’s not often a brand new series immediately captures my attention. This is a book that made me hungry for more. It’s a good thing the second issue is about to hit the stands because I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

Mat's Picks

PUNKS #4

No Caption Provided

Written by Joshua Hale Fialkov

Art by Kody Chamberlain

This was one of the more nutty issues of the series, thus far. It all opened up with the group trying to end the issue but never figuring out how to actually do it. PUNKS is always a really fun book with a very "out there" sense of humor, but issue four gets extremely out there as both creators of this series, Joshua Fialkov and Kody Chamberlain, make their way into this issue and have a whole conversation about how to end the issue.

The book is pretty nuts but it won't leave you scratching your head while reading it. It's more of controlled chaos than anything else. Chamberlain's art is wonderful and there is literally nothing else like it in comic books right now. The DIY Punk-Scene Flyer method of art here is really cool and makes me wonder how many stacks of Abraham Lincoln pictures Chamberlain has ready to go. PUNKS is the funniest comedy book on the shelves, but it's also the only one where the plot doesn't matter. But who needs plot anyway, am I right? Also, do you know what I am saying?

Also, that variant cover by Joe Infurnari is pretty freaking sweet as well.

RASPUTIN #4

No Caption Provided

Written by Alex Grecian

Art by Riley Rossmo

Colors by Ivan Plascencia

I've said quite a few times about this series that I love historical fiction and that the one thing RASPUTIN accomplishes incredibly well is building on the myth and lore behind the character just as much as putting together a compelling story. The tradition continues here and we get to see a younger Rasputin trying to do a little bit of good here. The issue expands again on the mystical side of Rasputin as he heals a sick dog and child. And, just like when he healed the bear, he has a tendency to become that animal after healing it. We do get a bit of a comical moment of Rasputin eating dinner as a dog.

The style and pacing of this series is wonderful. It feels slow, but in a great way. Grecian and Rossmo are doing a wonderful job at building on these characters and Rossmo and Placencia do a brilliant job on the artistic side of things. Overall, this is not only one of the best looking on-going series, but one of the best executed on-goings as well.

IVAR, TIMEWALKER #1

No Caption Provided

Written by Fred Van Lente

Art by Clayton Henry

Colors by Brian Reber

Since Valiant relaunched, there's two on-goings I was pretty excited to eventually read: NINJAK and TIMEWALKER. I knew that eventually those books would come out and now, IVAR, TIMEWALKER is here. I can't think of a Valiant debut I've enjoyed more than IVAR, maybe aside fro X-O MANOWAR. I'm a big fan of time travel stories, as long as they're not executed with hole after hole. What IVAR does is delivers a ton of fun but also leaves a bit of mystery, keeping the reader interested.

Clayton Henry, who also did the first arc, and then some, of ARCHER AND ARMSTRONG, has a really great style that suits the book. He has some great work in character's facial expressions, especially Doctor Sethi's face in the opening scene. This first issue shows a ton of promise and I can't wait to keep reading it.

This issue had a lot of great variant covers, but this one by Jorge Molina really stood out.

Gregg's Picks

BATMAN AND ROBIN #38

No Caption Provided

Written by Peter Tomasi

Art by Patrick Gleason

Inks by Mick Gray

Colors by John Kalisz

We all have our favorite Robin. Some wrongfully say it's Dick Grayson or Tim Drake, but in a world that has Damian Wayne, he's the only correct answer. Seriously though, Batman's son is an awesome character and had so much more story to tell, so watching Heretic impale him was pretty rough. Thankfully, the mission in Robin Rises was a success and Damian's not only back, but he's also sporting super powers.

Peter J. Tomasi and Patrick Gleason dedicate the opening scene to showing just how fun a Robin with powers can be, but then the issue takes a totally unexpected turn. I -- and I'm sure many others -- thought this issue would be Damian beating up goons and Batman struggling to deal with Damian's new upgrades and boosted ego. Instead, the comic takes a character-driven turn and throws us right into Damian's head. It's not all fun and games now that he's immune to bullets and this is a hugely rewarding read if you've been with the series since the beginning.

STAR WARS #1

No Caption Provided

Written by Jason Aaron

Art by John Cassaday

Colors by Laura Martin

Damian Wayne is back in DC and Star Wars is back at Marvel? Not a shabby month, is it? Sure, Dark Horse told plenty of great stories with the franchise (Ghost Prison is my top one), but seeing what Jason Aaron -- the mind behind THOR: GOD OF THUNDER -- could do with this universe is tempting and full of promise.

Thankfully, it exceeded my expectations and felt like a true return to the original trilogy. Right from very first page, this felt like a warm welcome to the time period and it was full of fan service. Sure, we didn't get a lot of time with some of the characters, but this simply felt like Star Wars and throwing us right into the middle of an operation was an exciting way to bring us back into the universe. The franchise is back at Marvel and it is most definitely in good hands.

THE VALIANT #2

No Caption Provided

Written by Jeff Lemire and Matt Kindt

Art by Paolo Rivera and Joe Rivera

How many big events have disappointed you? I'm guessing the answer is probably "more than a couple." While THE VALIANT may not be a big event, it's a limited series that sure feels like one that's being done incredibly well. It's gathering many of the universe's big characters and throwing them against a more than worthy and horrifying adversary.

You can tell Jeff Lemire, Matt Kindt and Paolo Rivera are doing everything they can to make sure this one keeps you totally captivated and wanting more. They're offering something that can create new readers, expands the universe, and delivers a whole lot of really, really cool action. Do yourself a favor and give this series a shot.

Corey's Picks

CAPTAIN MARVEL #11

No Caption Provided

Written by Kelly Sue DeConnick & Christopher Sebela

Art by Filipe Andrade

Colors by Jordie Bellaire

Christmas specials tend to be the corniest of the corny and, quite often, the lamest of the lame either in terms of content but this one...there's something special going on here. Kelly Sue DeConnick has brought Carol Danvers home to Earth, which is a welcome change from the emotionally distant stories that we've had in the last few issues, and we got a great recurring villain having a loose end or two tied up. The inclusion of an apparent bum dressed as Santa Clause that... I'll just say has an amazing twist ending that still somehow fits within the larger narrative AND the narrative of Captain Marvel's ongoing story.

With visuals by David Lopez, one of the new series architects who has helped to redefine Carol's look and I'm hoping that she stays on Earth for awhile, but this issue is a definite step in the right direction and a GREAT story in its own right. It gives you everything you need to know about Carol Danvers if you're just stepping in and helps to create a new launchpad for some great future storylines if you're a longtime fan/supporter. Now if only we can get some Carol/Rhodey crossover stories going with any momentum...

GOTHAM BY MIDNIGHT #3

No Caption Provided

Written by Ray Fawkes

Art by Ben Templesmith

There is something wrong with the city of Gotham. Not only is the crime there a more extreme version of what seems to happen in the rest of the DCU. And yet people stay. No rent is worth the statistic "death by Clown" being the #3 cause of death in a city. Yet Gotham remains and Gotham flourishes. Why? This book actually aims to address that to some extent. By introducing a Lovecratian element, there's the idea that something dark keeps people in Gotham and also makes it one of the strangest, darkest places to live.

I've said it before, but it's now truly calcified that Ray Fawkes is giving us a combination of GOTHAM CENTRAL and, I want to say FELL, but that's not quite right because the title is more overtly supernatural than either of those, and Ben Templesmith absolutely BRINGS it in terms of the visual style. It's not only a great story, it's a great example of universe building around a horrendously damaged, broken city.

AVENGERS #40

No Caption Provided

Written by Jonathan Hickman

Art by Stefano Caselli

Colors by Frank Martin Jr

After a bizarre shot forward in time, the characters of NEW AVENGERS felt like they were ringing hollow and the stakes were completely unknown. Leave it to Jonathan Hickman to not give in and give everyone what they want immediately, but rather slow burn up to where this issue left us, doling out details about the state of the world and the characters we've come to care about in it. This issue, specifically, brought a long-running, seemingly forgotten story point full-circle.

Honestly, I had assumed the very justified rivalry between Namor and Black Panther would be relegated to the trope of "I don't like/trust you, but DAMN do I RESPECT you!" and then...well this issue's ending happened. And WOW did it ever happen. An amazing emotional payoff to a very longterm story, and that's more than we can generally hope for with mainstream superhero comics. Stefano Caselli's work is, as always, amazing, giving us beautifully rendered characters with some absolutely incredible emotional impact. This was an issue that didn't have a lot of crazy action or battles, but sure delivered on character moments and long-term dramatic impact.

There you have it! Those were what the Comic Vine staff loved for the month of January! Let us know what comics you loved in the comment section below!

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Black Widow 14 was my favorite comic of the month.

lxlGiftedlxl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Batman and Robin!!!!!!

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Gotham by Midnight was my top pick of the month.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Corey mixed up new avengers #28 with Avengers #40

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Ant-Man?

That Star Wars comic is overrated.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I can't think of a Valiant debut I've enjoyed more than IVAR, maybe aside fro X-O MANOWAR. I'm a big fan of time travel stories, as long as they're not executed with hole and hole. What IVAR does is delivers a ton of fun but also leaves a bit of mystery, keeping the reader interested.

I'm a big fan of time travel stories, as long as they're not executed with hole and hole. What IVAR does is delivers a ton of fun but also leaves a bit of mystery, keeping the reader interested.

I'm a big fan of time travel stories, as long as they're not executed with hole and hole.

I'm a big fan of time travel stories,

I'm a big fan

BIG FAN

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I can't think of a Valiant debut I've enjoyed more than IVAR, maybe aside fro X-O MANOWAR. I'm a big fan of time travel stories, as long as they're not executed with hole and hole. What IVAR does is delivers a ton of fun but also leaves a bit of mystery, keeping the reader interested.

I'm a big fan of time travel stories, as long as they're not executed with hole and hole. What IVAR does is delivers a ton of fun but also leaves a bit of mystery, keeping the reader interested.

I'm a big fan of time travel stories, as long as they're not executed with hole and hole.

I'm a big fan of time travel stories,

I'm a big fan

BIG FAN

No Caption Provided

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotham academy#4

Antman#1

Aquaman#38

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's hard for me to pick just three books as my favorite's! Batman #38 definitely! I've been loving this story and I can't wait for the next issue. Birthright #4 would have to be my next pick. This series has been awesome, and I have loved every issue. Batman and Robin #38 rounds up my top three. It was awesome seeing Damian using his powers. My honorable mentions would be Star Wars #1. I was pleasantly surprised by this one. I had very low expectations with this coming in and I'm so happy I was wrong to have them. And Aquaman #38 is my last pick. Jeff Parker has hit it out of the park with this arc.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly doubt I'll ever pay for a non Marvel, DC, and Image comic book but that's just me.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 the_stegman  Moderator

I agree with Tony's picks.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By batmite1995

Oh and multiversity guidebook#1 was awesome too....it wasn't reviewed here for some reason

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Multiversity Guidebook FTW!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 the_stegman  Moderator

@albusan said:

I highly doubt I'll ever pay for a non Marvel, DC, and Image comic book but that's just me.

While I agree those three are the best publishers imo (waits for Valiant lovers to object) I say check out Lady Killer by Dark Horse, it's really cool.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@albusan said:

While I agree those three are the best publishers imo (waits for Valiant lovers to object) I say check out Lady Killer by Dark Horse, it's really cool.

I probably won't buy it but I respect your opinion. If I had an unlimited comic book budgit I would buy from every publisher but for me I have to stick what I know. I have a big enough pull-list right now.

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#16  Edited By lagozzino

Without a doubt, The Unwritten: Apocalypse #12

No Caption Provided

A very fitting ending to a lengthy saga. I couldn't have been more satisfied with it.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lazarus #?, Batman #38, Ant-Man #1, Black Science #?

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

@lagozzino: Fables and Unwritten get ignored on this site :/

lagozzino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By lagozzino

@fables87 said:

At least there was an article about how Fairest was ending, so you know Fables will get some coverage as it ends. Meanwhile it seems like everyone, not just comicvine, has let The Unwritten's conclusion slip under the radar. It didn't even warrant a mention on the front page of Vertigo's site :/

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

@fables87 said:

At least there was an article about how Fairest was ending, so you know Fables will get some coverage as it ends. Meanwhile it seems like everyone, not just comicvine, has let The Unwritten's conclusion slip under the radar. It didn't even warrant a mention on the front page of Vertigo's site :/

Not many people seem to have mention about Fables ending either. It's weird because both of them are a huge part of Vertigo history. I man Fables is the 3rd longest running comic for Vertigo. I hope it get more coverage then it has in the past few years.

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to give The Valiant credit. A real nice way to get people into Valiant comics. The Multiversity guidebook was definitely worth the wait as well.

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotham academy 4

staypuffed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

My favourite books in January:

• Batman
  • Thor
  • All-New Captain America
  • Star Wars
The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice

ariesleguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No love for Multiversity Guidebook? Seriously?

illustrate303

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By illustrate303

@captainhoopla: Yea Black Science kicks major ass. Especially the last issue #11. Too bad we gotta wait for the break again. My other top 3 picks would be Birthright #4, Sex Criminals #11, and Invincible #116. All Image just cuz I am behind on all my Marvel and Batman from DC