Best Comic Covers of the Week: 8/3/12

• 53 results

First of all, there were a lot of really great looking covers this week and it was really hard to choose just a few. These are some of our favorites, and we know you're likely to disagree, so if you find one you really love, be sure to post it in this article's thread.

No Caption Provided

First up is Jill Thompson's cover to BEAST OF BURDEN: NEIGHBORHOOD WATCH #1. How artist Jill Thompson manages to successfully give these animals human expressions, I really can't say, but it's executed brilliantly. I love that there is something evil lurking in their shadows -- it's fantastic imagery.

== TEASER ==
No Caption Provided

It might be because HAWKEYE #1 was one of our favorite comics this week, but there's something about the cover to the first issue that really struck us -- in a good way. Maybe it was because the image is so linear. The simplicity and the use of only three basic colors really caught our eye and is a great reflection of David Aja's beautiful interiors.

No Caption Provided

Todd McFarlane's homage to his past work is pretty evident on the cover of SPAWN #222. If you do a side-by-side comparison of this cover and THE AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #316, you'll probably be pretty impressed. It's a great tip of the hat to those who have been following McFarlane's career, and we thought it was a great image.

No Caption Provided

The cover to this week's DAREDEVIL #16 is brilliant and is a perfect reflection of the underlying storyline we've been seeing in the last few issues of DAREDEVIL. They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and the cover to DAREDEVIL #16 is no different.

No Caption Provided

Mike Allred goes out with a bang with his cover to the final issue of iZOMBIE, #28. He delivers a unique and really beautiful image that captures the elements of what's inside.

These are some of our favorites, what are some of yours? Let us know in the comments below!

I LOVE Hawkeye #1 and its beautiful cover. Glad to see it on here!!

Great as always.

daredevil and spawn should always be on this list very issue they come out with

and judging from solicits from Hawkeye it should too

Aja's Hawkeye covers are a thing of beauty.

I really need to start reading iZombie. I think I flipped through the first trade in a store once but passed on it in favor of a Batman trade or something. I'm going to have to get my store to get in a copy.

I was pretty fond of Animal Man and Swamp Thing's connecting covers.

Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe Cover
Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe Cover
I'm willing to bet that all of this series' covers will be my favorite comic book cover each week for this month. They're just....sooooo gooood!!!

The Hawkeye cover absolutely belongs here. Great work!

After seeing the cover for Hawkeye #2, I have a feeling the whole series will be on here.

How could JLI #12 not be included, its such an amazing cover!

How was the art for Hawkeye? I heard it was "meh".

ugh.. sorry just ugh... the cover and interior art of Hawkeye just looks like 1960's Andy Warhol impressionistic pop art crap. Let's see if we can draw faces and figures with as few lines as possible! When did this become considered a good thing for comic books?

@jwalser3: awful, I don't know why everyone is giving this book so much praise. The writing was also 'very meh'

@warpgirl: @kerosene:So I shouldn't pick it up? Kind of sucks because I really wanted it too be good.

@jwalser3: Ehh, I think it was only 3 bucks, might be worth the pick up and you might like it. I personally wont be picking up #2. But everyone has different tastes in comics, so you might enjoy it.

I, too, like the Hawkeye #1 issue cover. It was, and is, an eye-catcher. The second and third cover of Hawkeye got some similar artwork as the first one, which all of them are great.

Every Daredevil cover is one of the covers of the week. All is as it should be.

That Hawkeye cover will probably go down as one of my all time faves. Can't stop staring at it O.O

I liked the Hawkeye variant cover better, but I liked the original too, i got all

@longbowhunter: yet hawkeye and some dogs beat this out wth? lol

@kerosene: its bc of batwing. but it was a good cover and great story.

#22 the_stegman  Moderator
@warpgirl:  

ugh.. sorry just ugh... the cover and interior art of Hawkeye just looks like 1960's Andy Warhol impressionistic pop art crap. Let's see if we can draw faces and figures with as few lines as possible! When did this become considered a good thing for comic books? 

So very true.

this site really did'nt give Deadpool kills the marvel universe its due

Not a damn post about Spawn thus far. And, that is as it should be - hate to say. I can see it now " McFarlane re-treads the well once more with an 'homage' to a former Spidey cover.....in other news the world barely yawns.". The man hasn't grown as an artist - nor does he care. It's sad, really. He stood the industry on its ear - and offended almost all of it in doing so. Damn shame.

Captain Marvel #2 of course!

Just kidding, holy hell.

Edit: Aww that wasn't out this week, I was hoping to picking it up today.

@kerosene said:

McFarlane is the best.

The new Hawkeye series just may be my favorite new Marvel book. Both the writing and art were fantastic. I mean, there're only so many Jim Lee clones one can stomach before it becomes a bit trite. I love the grit feel of this art rather than the chrome finish it could've (and would've been regrettably) been.

This was my favorite for the week:

No Caption Provided

@gunmetalgrey: that skottie young cover was the best this week.

The HAWKEYE cover reminds me of NIGHTWING...o.O... My favorite cover is the Spawn one!!! So cool. Great reference to past works too.

@kerosene: I almost grabbed this issue because of the cover.

I hope Spawn keeps doing parody covers as that's another awesome one.

that hawkeye cover is awesome. it really stood out on the stands next to all the other covers on wednesday.

I'm glad there there are a few people that liked the JLI cover. I think its probably the best cover of the week, with mind the gap and swamp thing/animal man close behind it.

The Animal Man and Swamp Thing ones were the best for me.

Hawkeye one was great, not a massive fan of him but the Deadpool cover was very good to.

#37 pikahyper  Moderator

@gunmetalgrey: By far the best cover this week, it's a shame it wasn't included in the article.

Hawkeye looks pretty nice I say but I agree with others...JLI #12 should've been included here too.

Hawkeye has me sold on the art alone, and that's rare because I usually pay more attention to the writing in a book than the art. I guess it's not surprising that people are complaining about it, seeing as it's actually original and not just following the boring 'dark and gritty' conventions of the present.

Somehow I did not like any of these covers..

@kartron said:

Somehow I did not like any of these covers..

Me too.

Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe Cover is awesome.

I loved the Hawkeye cover this week

Have to agree that Hawkeye cover is fantastic.

On thing that's always bugged me about the McFarlane cover - Is Venom's right wrist broke?

Absolutely can not bend you hand like that. Just goes to show you don't need to know anatomy to pull off a successful piece of art.

I'm going to really miss iZombie! Anyone else read that comic book?

I loved the Beast of Burden cover. It was a nice book too. Great list this week

Beasts of Burden - awesome cover.

And the stories in the book were just as good.

Maybe one of my favorite comic book series ever.

The omission of JR JR's work on the Point 1 Peter Parker Spider-Man is egregious ... to say the least.

Deadpool cover by far ... You missed it again Sarah. Hawkeye interiors were horrible . The cover was good.

Really dislike that Hawkeye cover. It looks gross, I think I just don't like hawkeye as a character.

BB's Wife