Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Another week is behind us, and that means it's time to get a better look at some of the best covers to this week's new releases. Some are creepy, and others are just jaw droppingly gorgeous -- we've got them all for you. Let us know which ones you loved, and which ones you didn't love, and which ones we may not have mentioned.

We absolutely loved how creepy and dark David Furna's cover to IDW's 30 DAYS OF NIGHT #8 was. Having the focus of the cover be on this very brief, specific moment in the story is interesting . The blood soaked badge being held up to view by long, creepy vampire fingers is enough to give anyone the chills. Did you pick up the eight issue this week? If so, what did you think?

== TEASER ==

Next up is the variant cover for JOURNEY INTO MYSTERY #639 by Carmine di Giandomenico. It's Amazing Spider-Man month, which is why Spider-Man graces the cover of this month's variant issue -- and it's gorgeous. The image of Spider-Man (from Kraven's Last Hunt) being slowly sucked into a grave on a rainy day is pretty creepy -- but it's also beautifully illustrated. Di Gianomenico creates the illusion that Venom is moving, when clearly he isn't.

If Adam Hughes illustrates a cover, you can almost always expect that it will make our list. This week Ali Baba graced the cover to FAIREST #4, surrounded by a beautiful harem. Every man's worst nightmare, right? Ali Baba's stoic expression is paired with the sleepy looks on the faces of the beautiful women surrounding him. Hughes adds soft lighting to the image to give the illusion of candlelight.

Last, but certainly not least, is the cover to issue #2 of DIAL H by Brian Bolland. Bolland did an impeccable job spotlighting five characters on one page without creating clutter. Not only that, but Bolland manages to portray the characteristics of the individual characters like the Human Virus, Pelican Army and Double Bluff through his art. Featuring an army of pelicans in the background, for example, and a floating deck of cards above Double Bluff's head. It's classic Bolland, and fans of the artist will definitely appreciate the picture.

Some honorable mentions include the cover to AVX # 5 by Jim Cheung and Darwyn Cooke's cover to BEFORE WATCHMEN: MINUTEMEN #1. These are some of our favorites, what were some of yours? Let us know which covers you loved out of all this week's new releases!

#1 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

The Journey into Mystery one FTW I say. Great covers overall!

#2 Posted by Morpheus_ (29873 posts) - - Show Bio
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

The Journey into Mystery one FTW I say. 

Co-signed.
#3 Posted by NyxEquitis (401 posts) - - Show Bio

I did actually enjoy the cover to AVX #5, despite what's contained within..

#4 Posted by TheMightyHerc (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Variant Covers always are Better than Originals..

#5 Posted by Mercy_ (92698 posts) - - Show Bio

Not as in love with the Hughes cover as I usually am with his work.

#6 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Spidey making mud pies.

#7 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

Adam Hughes one is pretty cool, so is the first one.

#8 Posted by longbowhunter (7093 posts) - - Show Bio

I've got the cover to Dial H #2 set as the wallpaper on my iPhone. Brian Bolland is a god!

#9 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

That 30 Days of Night one is awesome as hotcakes.

#10 Posted by fables87 (1003 posts) - - Show Bio

FAIREST FTW!

#11 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

What's the deal with Marvel having months where every series has a variant cover that is literally not even close to having anything to do with even the SERIES?

#12 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

30 days of night is the only good one.

#13 Posted by ShrimpDino (841 posts) - - Show Bio

Dial H #2 has a awesome cover :D

#14 Posted by knighthood (1693 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm by no means a Valiant fanboy, but I loved this cover...

#15 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

does anyone read the 30 days of night series? i read the first series and the sequel but nothing after that. are they any good?

#16 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

@knighthood: you're right, that cover is cool.

#17 Posted by sinestro_GL (3158 posts) - - Show Bio

All are actually pretty great.

#18 Posted by mowens04 (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I really liked the cover for X-O Manowar this week. Swamp Thing and Earth 2 also featured some awesome cover work too.

#19 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

The Dial H cover was great.

#20 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio
#21 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio
That was cool!

@knighthood:

#22 Posted by revbucky (306 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Journey Into Mystery for me too.

#23 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mercy_ said:

Not as in love with the Hughes cover as I usually am with his work.

that's because it's centered around a male, his Kryptonite

#24 Posted by blindisaac (89 posts) - - Show Bio
Hulk #54 by Dale Eaglesham
#25 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6898 posts) - - Show Bio

30 days of night my favorite cover

#26 Posted by wmwadeii (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

Not really a fan of any of the three covers chosen this week.

#27 Posted by CrimsonCake (2677 posts) - - Show Bio

Dial H was my favorite.

#28 Posted by derf_jenkins (402 posts) - - Show Bio

I like Swamp Thing #10 cover as my fave of the week.

#29 Posted by broo1232 (1520 posts) - - Show Bio

#30 Posted by MrArrogant (149 posts) - - Show Bio

this just added to the burn of my shop not getting dial H this week -_- hulk #53 had a pretty sweet cover

#31 Posted by SubsonicNerd (23 posts) - - Show Bio

Dial H #2 had a awesome cover, but I also lighted the look and feel of the Hulk #53 seem to be very fitting.

#32 Posted by Mucklefluga (2563 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get the Earth 2 cover at all. It's got nothing to do with anything really

#33 Edited by zackattack529 (1404 posts) - - Show Bio

Dial h IS SO AWESOME! ITS LIKE iF Ben 10 had a Vertigo book lol

the characters are so awesome

Double Bluff is already my favorite Dial H hero, and he hasn't even done anything yet!? lol

gotta admit though, Iron Snail was cool XP

#34 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Furno, not Furna.

No wonder why 30 Days of Night reminded me of Scalped, Furno was a guest artist on it.

Good picks.

@The Mighty Monarch said:

What's the deal with Marvel having months where every series has a variant cover that is literally not even close to having anything to do with even the SERIES?

Because Marvel likes to milk those movie cows. It's nothing new.

#35 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2242 posts) - - Show Bio

@Remi said:

It's Furno, not Furna.

No wonder why 30 Days of Night reminded me of Scalped, Furno was a guest artist on it.

Good picks.

Yeah, I KNOW it's nothing new; that's why I asked why they do it all the damn time. It just seems so stupid.

#36 Posted by bloggerboy (575 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool covers. The Spidey one however feels like a cheap knock-off of the cover featured in Kraven's Last Hunt! Now that is iconic!

#37 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@RedheadedAtrocitus said:

The Journey into Mystery one FTW I say. Great covers overall!

#38 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

@zombietag: I collect the trade paper backs. They are awesome. If your interested I could recommend a few.

#39 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

@Remi said:

It's Furno, not Furna.

Good picks.

Yeah, I KNOW it's nothing new; that's why I asked why they do it all the damn time. It just seems so stupid.

Like I said, the money.

#40 Posted by SpitfireINK (242 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to like the Journey into Mystery ASM in Motion cover - BUT - the hand bugs me to no end.

Not only is the perspective wrong - what the heck is he supposed to be doing? - I can see where he's trying to keep from sinking into the grave - but - WHAT IS UP WITH THE HAND???

I honestly don't think this book deserves to be one of the best comic covers of the week - based on this Blatant technical faux-pas.

#41 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9064 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite cover from this list is the Journey into Mystery Variant Cover

#42 Posted by hollandane (9 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mucklefluga said:

I don't get the Earth 2 cover at all. It's got nothing to do with anything really

This is maybe a spoiler for one page in the book, but It's referring to his run in with the rats in the alley that are attacking the man and woman, but making it seem epic on the cover.

#43 Posted by KidSupreme (829 posts) - - Show Bio

cool