Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we take a look at all of the newly released comics and choose some of our favorite comic covers to our new releases. There were plenty of covers we loved this week, but we are bound to have missed a few of them. If you loved a cover that failed to make our list, be sure to post it in the comments below and let us know why you dig it. Now, without further ado, here are this week's best looking comic covers.

The first cover to make our list is the variant cover to BATMAN #21 by Jock. The artist returns to illustrate the Dark Knight in his usual style that happens to compliment the character perfectly. The image focuses on Bruce and is all sorts of dark, grim and gritty.

Next up is a very simple cover to the latest issue of SHERLOCK HOLMES: THE LIVERPOOL DEMON #5 by Francesco Francavilla. Francavilla is definitely one of our favorite artists, and this week he manages to capture both detail and simplicity in the cover to the latest issue of this Sherlock series published by Dynamite.

Some of the best comic covers from this week were the variant covers for SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #1. This one is the 75th Anniversary Variant cover edition celebrating the Silver Age by artist Jose Luis Garcia Lopez. The cover is simple and just absolutely adorable. The image captures Superman's soft side and Lois looks absolutely darling.

The next cover happens to be another SUPERMAN UNCHAINED #1 75th Anniversary Variant cover edition, only this time it commemorates the Golden Age and is illustrated by artist Dave Johnson. This picture really captures the wholesomeness of a simpler era of comics and is, to put it simply, really very pretty.

The cover to UNCANNY X-FORCE #6 by artist Kristafer Anka is great because of the symmetry and simplicity of the image. Incorporating the "X" symbol for Uncanny X-Force is very cleverly done.

Artist Francesco Francavilla makes our list a second time this week with his cover to BLACK BEETLE #4. The artist keeps things simple once again, only this time he manages to really capture the pulp-tone for this cover to the final issue in his creator owned four part series.

One of the most unique covers from this week's new releases was artist Pascal Campion's cover to WOLVERINE #4. The image reminds us of feudal Japan and is just really very simple and very pretty.

And last but certainly not least is artist Rafael Albuquerque's cover to AMERICAN VAMPIRE: THE LONG ROAD TO HELL. Albuquerque plays around with fonts and keeps things simple, but still manages to deliver a fantastic and enticing cover.

These were some of our favorite covers for this week, what were some of yours? Be sure to let us know what some of your favorites were in the comments below.

#1 Edited by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

YEAH! picked up my issue of black beetle the final part of No Way Out!. I love his pulp like art.

#2 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6133 posts) - - Show Bio

The Batman variant cover is awesome!

#3 Posted by ThatOneKidWhoLikesComics (58 posts) - - Show Bio

I like "The Long Road To Hell" cover.

#4 Posted by danaandra (57 posts) - - Show Bio

Alex Garner's cover for Batgirl #21 really caught my eye. Beautifully painted yet truly creepy.

#5 Posted by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

@danaandra: indeed im surprised that was not mentioned. it was highly detailed and that also got me to pick up the issue.

#6 Edited by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (6765 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish that Jock cover wasn't a variant. It's so much better than the standard cover for #21.

#8 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5166 posts) - - Show Bio

Love The Rev. Dave Johnson

#9 Posted by Bucco3 (103 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Grey56 (728 posts) - - Show Bio
#11 Posted by davidgrantlloyd (335 posts) - - Show Bio

Mostly good choices.

Except for the 'silver age' Superman Unchained by Lopez. It's drawn well but the image and concept stinks.

#12 Posted by TheUnN4med (86 posts) - - Show Bio

Alex Garner's cover for Batgirl #21 really caught my eye. Beautifully painted yet truly creepy.

Batgirl cover FTW!!
I think this is the best cover this week. And that Batman and American Vampire are really gorgerous

#13 Edited by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry but if you need to explain what you learned in art school about symmetry and simplicity to justify picking such a boring cover than it does not belong on the list. Uncanny X Force 006 is a lame cover.

#14 Posted by Rich711 (259 posts) - - Show Bio

I wish that Jock cover wasn't a variant. It's so much better than the standard cover for #21.

FOR REAL! The regular Batman 21 cover sucks monkey balls. I thought that was just a generic batman image they were using on the website because the hadnt finalized the actual cover. What a let down.

#15 Edited by Cavemold (1676 posts) - - Show Bio

the uncanny x-force the only one i dont care for

#16 Posted by fartvader (47 posts) - - Show Bio

This is actually really good! It kinda feels like it's a Japanese horror film poster. All the creeps man!

@rich711 yeah I thought the Uncanny X Force cover was superlame, too.

#17 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

The Superman Unchained covers for me...for this was the week of Superman, hands down.

#18 Posted by CoffeeWithBagels (36 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Beetle and Sherlock Holmes are awesome.

#19 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by LordRequiem (1309 posts) - - Show Bio

Very meh this week.

#21 Edited by pikahyper (11499 posts) - - Show Bio

oh good I was gonna be upset if that Wolverine cover hadn't made it, it is one of my top two fav's this week, the other is G.I. Joe: The IDW Collection vol. 2 it is gorgeous.

#22 Posted by eldestrisk (632 posts) - - Show Bio

What issue is this from? There was no X-Factor this week to my knowledge.

#23 Edited by Arkhamc1tizen (2116 posts) - - Show Bio
#24 Posted by EvanTheMexiJew (99 posts) - - Show Bio

No 30's Superman Unchained by Bruce Timm? That cover's beautiful.

#25 Posted by BaneStrokeLoboGrundyBatArrow (1391 posts) - - Show Bio

Heh all good covers

#26 Posted by Larcheese (14 posts) - - Show Bio

#27 Posted by charlieboy (7153 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed. It was an awesome cover.

#28 Edited by batarang614 (127 posts) - - Show Bio

hey really like how u guys are putting more thought into ur cover descriptions. One of my favorite parts of the week

#30 Posted by Etrigan321 (3 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

oh good I was gonna be upset if that Wolverine cover hadn't made it

Yup! The Wolverine and American Vampire cover.

G.I. Joe: It's nice and I do like b/w art a lot. Here, all these thin circular lines, especially on the face and hair (drawn against the flow of the hair), are a distraction imho.

#32 Posted by iaconpoint (1271 posts) - - Show Bio

Stupid DC for making that Batman variant 1 in 25 instead of the usual 1 in 10. The regular cover for 21 was horrid.

#33 Posted by RazzaTazz (9478 posts) - - Show Bio

I love this picture:

Time for DC to get these back together.

#34 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2233 posts) - - Show Bio

Did this book come out this week? Or in the future?

#35 Posted by nightwingnerd (322 posts) - - Show Bio

What about Nightwing?

#36 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (881 posts) - - Show Bio

I got the Jock issue of Batman and I wanted the Golden Age version of Superman, the one with the soldiers but my LCS didn't have it so I got the Superman vs. Lex Luthor one.

#37 Posted by impossibilly (884 posts) - - Show Bio

That Jock cover is gorgeous. I may make that image the lock screen on my iPad.