Posted by No_Name_ (12593 posts) - - Show Bio

Sometimes it can be hard to choose our favorite comic covers for the week's new releases, and this week was no different. We've sifted through our buy pile and chosen some of our favorite covers and spotlighted them below. Let us know which of the covers you loved and if we miss any, be sure to post them below and share them with us. Now, without further ado, here are our favorite comic covers for the week of May 17th, 2013.

First up is the stunning J. H. Williams III cover to BATWOMAN #20. The issue cover is ink washed in red, highlighting a very eerie and creepy plot that unfolds within its pages. J. H. Williams III creates an incredibly stunning and abstract image that is sure to draw your attention.

Artist Chris Eliopoulos' variant cover to BATTLESTAR GALACTICA #1 is just adorable -- so much so that we simply had to highlight it here. The image is simple but great and very humorous, and sometimes that's refreshing from the very detailed, elaborate covers we sometimes see.

Artist Massimo Carnevale's cover to CONAN THE BARBARIAN #16 is absolutely stunning. The pencils are breathtaking and beautiful and the colors are subtle in shades of pastel that really make for a striking image.

Richard Corben had us doing a double take with his cover to THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER #1. The image is so bizarre and so creepy that we had to put it on our list. It's definitely not the type of cover you see everyday and that's one reason why we had to get it on our list.

Mike and Laura Allred team up to deliver a gorgeous cover to FF #7 which completely captures the hilarious and lighthearted tone of the story that we see inside. The result is a cover that is not only really pretty and well done, but also one that pays a bit of an homage to silver age comics that features dialogue on the cover. The result is a great image that is not only funny but also really well done.

Sometimes a cover is all about perspective: such is the case for GREEN HORNET #2's variant cover by artist Jonathan Lau. The cover gives the sense that we are looking down on our heroes from above, and it is very well done.

Last, but certainly not least is the cover to ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #23 by artist David Marquez. The image is an homage to John Romita Sr.'s iconic image of Spidey walking away from his costume. It's a fantastic image and Marquez pays a fantastic tribute.

#1 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (34991 posts) - - Show Bio

Conan is a freaking awesome book

#2 Edited by kriminal (657 posts) - - Show Bio

that ultimate spidey looks sweet. almost want to by it and i hate miles

#3 Edited by longbowhunter (7706 posts) - - Show Bio

Richard Corben is insane. Love that guys stuff.

#4 Posted by bsavelli (57 posts) - - Show Bio

You could make a book with J. H. Williams's Batwoman covers and I'd buy it. Everyone of them is a masterpiece.

#5 Posted by Twentyfive (2845 posts) - - Show Bio

That FF one is probably my favorite this week.

It has an awesome retro vibe.

#6 Posted by fables87 (1082 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Batwoman's the best. FF is good too. Fables should be on here unless it's not this week but last week.

#7 Edited by pikahyper (12700 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Edited by ShadowX (1207 posts) - - Show Bio

@pikahyper: the new warriors came back? Or is this an alternate cover for another series?

#9 Posted by pikahyper (12700 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Edited by DonFelipe (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

Where's The Shadow #13 covers?

Batwoman - The black-and-white version is even better as the grey tones make for a better, more distinct contrast.

#11 Posted by DonFelipe (1290 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter said:

Richard Corben is insane. Love that guys stuff.

Me, too... though I only know his work from short stories in Dark Horse's Creepy and his E.A.Poe adaptions in DHP. Looking forward to get a copy of The House of Usher.

#12 Edited by ShadowX (1207 posts) - - Show Bio
#13 Posted by Queso6p4 (1463 posts) - - Show Bio

Very nice picks this week.

Where's The Shadow #13 covers?

Batwoman - The black-and-white version is even better as the grey tones make for a better, more distinct contrast.

While I'm not a huge fan of variants this one is stunning. Thanks!

#14 Edited by pikahyper (12700 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Edited by victorcheenoanleu (161 posts) - - Show Bio

the Batwoman cover is amaze-balls & so the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man, Dave is just awesome-sauce :)

#16 Posted by CoffeeWithBagels (36 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite cover this week is the Ultimate Comics Spider-Man.

#17 Edited by Kwodam (97 posts) - - Show Bio

the guy that does batwoman is one of the best artist ever

#18 Posted by nightwingnerd (325 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Ultimate I also liked Nightwing.

#19 Edited by Hanson724 (565 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwomans covers are always great and I really need to start picking up Conan.

#20 Edited by MadeinBangladesh (8019 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman cover amazing yet again.

#21 Posted by Billy Batson (58313 posts) - - Show Bio

Conan is a freaking awesome book

And yet it's under the radar for most.

BB

#22 Posted by ChiSoxRox (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, Batwoman is pretty consistent with stunning covers (and I loved this month's familial plot line too). But that Conan cover is beautiful, with the contrasting cool toned, ominous hands and the brightly colored Eden below.

#23 Posted by HeraldofGanthet (3756 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO at the Battlestar Galactica cover!

#24 Edited by Rabidwolfdog (259 posts) - - Show Bio

Toy Cover. I like this cover, its a Variant that you'd have to pay 5 more dollars more for so my store will get the Generic cover

Regular Cover. meh

#25 Edited by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Couldn't find a bigger one.

#26 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4211 posts) - - Show Bio

Corben's cover and this were my two favorite this past week.

Couldn't find a bigger one.

#27 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

@doomdoomdoom: Regular Show had a handful of good issues for the debut. The week issue 2 comes out I can already tell one of the variants is going to be my favorite that week too.

#28 Posted by infinityjudge (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Loved the FF cover as usual, and Nova #4 was pretty solid and intriguing

#29 Posted by paralaxsteve (52 posts) - - Show Bio

These articles are some of my favourite on the site. The FF cover is so beautiful and I love the silver age feel to it.

#30 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (884 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree about FF and I have that Green Hornet alternate cover but I haven't read it yet

#31 Posted by Jaymundo (177 posts) - - Show Bio

The Battlestar Galactica cover is brilliant, love it. Batwoman is extremely dramatic and I quite like the Green Hornet style too.

#32 Posted by FoxCircuit101 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman and U. Spidey are he best

#33 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6836 posts) - - Show Bio

That Green Hornet cover is awesome!

#34 Edited by Ama_Sama (101 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman always has beautiful covers, but this week's is one of the best. It's really a stunning piece.