Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we check out all of the week's new releases and choose our favorite comic book covers. There are plenty to choose from, and of course we are sure to miss a couple so feel free to let us know what some of your favorites were for this week.

First up is the cover to ANGEL & FAITH #18 by Rebekah Isaacs. The image is stunning and creepy, and her attention to detail is fantastic. The colors are incredibly vibrant and beautifully shadowed by rising smoke.

== TEASER ==

Sometimes we get an absolutely fantastic cover full of action; that's this week's AVENGERS #4 cover by Adam Kubert. The cover features Hyperion in all his glory in an incredibly detailed and intricate picture. The vibrant colors make the picture really stand out, too.

The stunning image by Art Adams for the cover of INVINCIBLE #100 is one we were really impressed by. The attention to detail in the midst of an action scene is perfectly illustrated and it left us impressed. The little word balloon was also a very nice touch.

Sometimes a lot of detail is great, and other times a simple sketch illustration will do; such is the case for Joe Kubert's cover to JOE KUBERT PRESENTS #4 of 6. The simple image clearly demonstrates Kubert's range and skill as a sketch artist.

Then there are those covers that are so ugly that they are beautiful. While it may not be the most aesthetically pleasing cover to a horror comic we have ever seen, the cover to LOT 13 #4 by artist Glenn Fabry is very well executed. There is so much going on that it's hard to know where to look first when it comes to this particular image. A ton of detail (as unattractive as it may be) means this one makes our list.

Then there is the more somber illustration of Frank Castle rising up above the masses of battered and broken Marvel heroes on the cover of PUNISHER: WAR ZONE #4 by artist Marco Checchetto. The cover has a ton of detail and Checchetto does an impeccable job playing with perspective. The zoom-in effect looking up at the character really adds the extra emphasis. Not to mention, the tone of the colors give it a pretty kind of lustre.

What did you think of some of our favorite covers for this week? Were there any that we missed? Feel free to post some of your favorites in the comments!

#1 Posted by mk111 (3141 posts) - - Show Bio

I think my favorite here would be Angel & Faith.

#2 Posted by DocFishstick (241 posts) - - Show Bio

lot 13 is cool

#3 Edited by Overlander (541 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry, but I don't agree with any of these choices (thought the Art Adams cover is the best in the lot imo)

Journey Into Mystery 648 was haunting, beautiful, and intense. The contents of the issue only reinforce Sif's intensity on the cover.

The Keown variant of Avengers 4 was superior.

Black widow out a window? Yes.

And I love the way Dale draws fabric creases. That's attention to detail.

#4 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Really loved the cover for the Batman and Robin annual.

Damian is so perfectly smug in this pic.
#5 Posted by Decept-O (7280 posts) - - Show Bio

This is an instance where I love each and every one of the comic book covers. Incredible work on them all but I think the Invincible cover really stands out. Thanks for sharing these, really nice.

#6 Posted by Squares (7547 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, guess there wasn't much to choose from.

#7 Posted by Bad_People (163 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Lot 13 cover but the rest are pretty standard.

#8 Posted by Mercy_ (92873 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers covers are consistently some of my favorite.

#9 Posted by Portimion (31 posts) - - Show Bio

DC's been lacking in cover art lately.

#10 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Not gonna lie, I don't like the Avengers covers so far. >.>

Out of the ones in the OP I like the Punisher one the best. Although the Lot 13 one is visually interesting.

#11 Posted by marvelman2099 (200 posts) - - Show Bio

that punisher war zone is so badass

#12 Posted by impossibilly (892 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the Hawkguy cover was tremendous.

#13 Posted by strangeling (180 posts) - - Show Bio

I was kind of digging this one:

#14 Posted by fables87 (1033 posts) - - Show Bio

What is Lot 13 about? Looks more like a Vertigo book then DC.

#15 Posted by DonFelipe (1126 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

Really loved the cover for the Batman and Robin annual.

Damian is so perfectly smug in this pic.

This one is so much better than the Avengers cover!!!

#16 Posted by Cavemold (1684 posts) - - Show Bio

dont care for avenger one. would of gone with he man master #6

#17 Posted by DonFelipe (1126 posts) - - Show Bio

@Overlander said: Sorry, but I don't agree with any of these choices (thought the Art Adams cover is the best in the lot imo)

Journey Into Mystery 648 was haunting, beautiful, and intense. The contents of the issue only reinforce Sif's intensity on the cover.

Sif looks bloody gorgeous on this one! I couldn't even finish reading the first Journey issue of Marvel Now but the covers of this series are awesome.

And I do agree, , the red banner is annoying here (and in general).

Beautiful Sif
#18 Posted by DonFelipe (1126 posts) - - Show Bio

Here's my favorite cover of the week. - It's not He-Man's #6 but the Origin of He-Man one...

Hopefully, DC will release more stories of He-Man and the Masters... in 2013. Please!

#19 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Kubert's cover FTW.

#20 Posted by ClintsEvilTwin (76 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe: DC is launching a Masters of the Universe ongoing in April. It will be written by Giffen. Yay!

#21 Posted by DonFelipe (1126 posts) - - Show Bio

@ClintsEvilTwin said:

@DonFelipe: DC is launching a Masters of the Universe ongoing in April. It will be written by Giffen. Yay!

Sweeeeet!

To Be Continued?
What Do You Think?!

I was thinking about another mini-series sometime. An ongoing is fantastic.

Thanks for the good news.

#22 Posted by MrArrogant (149 posts) - - Show Bio

Adam Kubert didn't do the Avengers cover, it was Dustin Weaver as usual.

#23 Posted by Grey56 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

@DocFishstick said:

lot 13 is cool

What this man said.

#24 Posted by NKRoots300 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@MrArrogant said:

Adam Kubert didn't do the Avengers cover, it was Dustin Weaver as usual.

What he says. There is Weaver's signature on the left of the cover

#25 Posted by Bionder (296 posts) - - Show Bio

War Zone cover is the best, imo. Marco Checchetto is great, he should do the art of this comic not only the covers.

#26 Posted by CrimsonSquire (42 posts) - - Show Bio

Punisher and Invincible look great!

But I nominate the Hawkeye cover this month as well!

#27 Posted by ThePRez (288 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe said:

Here's my favorite cover of the week. - It's not He-Man's #6 but the Origin of He-Man one...

Hopefully, DC will release more stories of He-Man and the Masters... in 2013. Please!

this is the cover of the week also the Dark Avengers cover is great.

#28 Posted by Grey56 (753 posts) - - Show Bio

@DonFelipe: Much agreed, sir.

#29 Posted by SupremeHyperion (1536 posts) - - Show Bio

The covers and art in Avengers has been amazing, and that's not even giving it the credit it deserves.

#30 Posted by skooks (205 posts) - - Show Bio

That Punisher: War Zone cover is sick, the best pick of the bunch by far. I also think the Batman and Robin annual cover is awesome.