Best Comic Book Store in Canada!

emperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By emperium

I just want to know what is the best comic book store in Canada. Selection, Service and especially Prices should be considered.

I have only been to 4 comic book shops.

Silver Snail (Toronto)

- Great selection, good service, prices are average.

1Million Comix (Toronto)

- Good selection, poor service, prices are more expensive.

The Beguiling (Toronto)

- Good selection, good service, prices are average.

Comic Book Addiction (Whitby)

-Great selection, average service, prices are great (20% off most comics, even new)

So far I think Comic Book Addiction has an edge over Silver Snail for the best comic book store in Canada. Please help me find the best one!

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#2  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Theres lots of guys from Canada here...I'm sure they'll help when they get on line...

katanalauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By katanalauncher

Amazon.ca

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Daveyo520

You should talk to Silkcuts. He seems to know his stuff on this topic.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Silkcuts

All Honesty comic stores depend on market.
I love the Beguiling because they truly care about the industry and the medium, it is the closest thing to a balance of both.  What I mean by that is that the beguiling would do sales for Marvel one-shots to sets of the DC 52, but they also cater to an indie crowd, where they were doing Scott Pilgrim book launches before Pilgrim was cool.  The Beguiling also sponsors TCAF and from the creators who go, many call it their favorite "Convention". 

I hate 1 Million Comix, they have nothing you can't find elsewhere and a lot of times for cheaper.  The service also sucks hard.

Silver Snail has turned their focus to statues rather then comics.

Paradise Comics is not bad, small, but they have good Silver age and older.  Plus they do signings as well, like the Beguiling.

Labyrinth books is one of my more favorite shops, small staff, so they tend to be more knowledgeable and helpful.  I actually have worked for the owner at a few cons, so I know the stock is deep.  The prices are US cover, which is normal, but Dan (The owner) offers a 10% credit per book that can be claimed after 10 books, so its like by 10 get one free.  He's sales are also insane, he pulls out long books full of books 40% off or sometimes he offers 60% credit, so when you claim your free book the free book's value could be higher.  The Labyrinth is also the best store in my opinion when it comes to art books, especially comic related art books.  He gets in creators convention sketch books to rare bits to mainstream releases, like Adam Hughes Cover Run.  The Art books as well have their own discount membership. 

The Hariy Tarantula is good as well. Three locations all specializing different things.  The downtown location is the flagship, it also carries very small press comics.  I got an adaptation of Machiavelli's The Prince from them.  No other store I know of carried it.  The Keele location is more gaming, but they have the best selection of used books from them all.  The Warehouse location is the best place to mine for out of print or forgotten books.  Since it is a warehouse you never know what you can find. 

There are also three good used books stores that have comics at good prices.  The comic they have could be "remaineders", which means never sold, but since it was in one owners possession, it is not "new" anymore, but it is as good as new many of the times.

1. B.M.V - There are fourl ocations, well five if you include ABC books, I know it is confusing, but ABC is like a cousin.  BMV is Toronto's top used book store, you never know what you can find there.  I found 1-9 of Taboo there as well as Alan Moore's Miracleman.  All for a lot cheaper if I would buy them online.
  2. Seekers - This used book store specialized is Occult books and I can be found there chatting with the Patrick or Margot if they are behind the cash.  This store doesn't realize some of the rare books they get, so a lot of times you can get them for stupid prices. I got Mark Millar's Saviour ( a really rare book) from them.  One guy offered me 10 times what I paid for it, since it is that rare and the guy is a huge Millar fan.
  3. Doug Miller's Books - Doug knows his books well.  He mostly carried remainders, but you can find a good used book there as well.  When I started shopping there, a friend of his sold his entire Neil Gaiman collection.  So I got a few hardcover version of books I already had, but those version are out of print.

In Brampton there are a few comic shops , the comic book warehouse is huge and some god finds there.  I completed my run of stray bullets from them.

I am a big fan of Stadium Comics, it is owned by two guys who love comics.  They do a blog of unboxing comics every week. They also have one of the best signings during free comic book day.  Before Francis Manapul became huge that was the store he did his signing.  Marcus To is also a regular.  Leonard Kirk was there last year as well. 

There is no good shop in Mississauga that I know of, the one at Square one is horrible.

Hope that helps with the GTA.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Silkcuts
@Daveyo520 said:

You should talk to Silkcuts. He seems to know his stuff on this topic.

I know my stuff, I don't seem.

@lykopis said:

There is the Dragon Lady in downtown Toronto, but we just got word that it will be closing shop in February which is a shame. For me, I enjoy the Beguiling, but maybe I will take a ride out to Whitby to check out Comic Book Addiction.

Considering I am out here (southern Ontario like you), I pretty much have the same recommendations, but when I as in Vancouver, my favourite store was ComicLand on Rupert Avenue. It's been around since 1976 and always had been full of the latest and greatest, not to mention knowledgeable staff on hand. So my vote goes to them.

Did you know Darwyn Cooke drew the make shift store fronts for both Dragon Lady and The Beguiling in his Wolverine and Doop art duties? Dragon Lady was also Darwyn Cooke's and Cameron Stewart's "local comic shop".
Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Daveyo520

@Silkcuts: Indeed you do.

emperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By emperium

@Silkcuts: Wow, what an informative post. I have heard of Labyrinth and Hairy Tarantula before. Though I can't recall which one of the 2 (if both) I felt a bit uncomfortable with. I once called (again either one or the other, can't recall which) if they had any of The New 52 (issue 1 of Batman) and the person who answered my call seemed to want to help, but didn't know what the New 52 was. On another occasion I checked out, I believe it was the Hairy Tarantula home page and there was some Libyan political message on it. I didn't bother reading if it was a joke or a political opinion, but it didn't feel right on a comic book site in my opinion. I guess you could say that turned me off from checking that place any further.

I'll probably stop by the Labyrinth though since you seem to really like them.

GuruOfFunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By GuruOfFunk

Happy Harbour Comics in Edmonton. Pretty good selection, good prices compared to some of the others around it, and the staff there are friendly and know their stuff.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Silkcuts
@lykopis said:

@Silkcuts: You sir, are phenomenal. :) And no - I didn't know that about Dragon Lady - how freaking cool is that?

My purpose is to share my information...lol
you are too kind with "phenomenal".
I haven't stepped in Dragon Lady for a while.
 I hope it is doing okay.  I found a lot of great back issues there.
and would miss them if they where to close.

@emperium said:

@Silkcuts: Wow, what an informative post. I have heard of Labyrinth and Hairy Tarantula before. Though I can't recall which one of the 2 (if both) I felt a bit uncomfortable with. I once called (again either one or the other, can't recall which) if they had any of The New 52 (issue 1 of Batman) and the person who answered my call seemed to want to help, but didn't know what the New 52 was. On another occasion I checked out, I believe it was the Hairy Tarantula home page and there was some Libyan political message on it. I didn't bother reading if it was a joke or a political opinion, but it didn't feel right on a comic book site in my opinion. I guess you could say that turned me off from checking that place any further.

I'll probably stop by the Labyrinth though since you seem to really like them.

I can understand the confusion with the HairyT's website.  I only use it to check when their quarterly sales are.  The Quarterly sales are like 3 additional boxing weeks during the year.  I've purchased many of my absolutes from them ranging from 30-40% off because of these sales.  The main location of the Hairy T also is odd since it is up stairs from the streets and is across a strip club.  I am found of that location because of the painting for the store front, it has John Constantine, Cerebus and Death of the Endless.  

The Labyrinth is a great place, the membership is helpful if you buy a lot of trades.  I have claimed many free books now.  A tip with the membership, is when there are multipliers to the membership, then you can stockpile them for more expensive books.  I once claimed a few books at once since I accumulated a big credit.  

Many of the stores I mentioned above you can find me at.  "My comic path" starts at Labyrinth, across the street to the big BMV, then to seekers, then the beguiling and then Doug Millers."  If I walk that path I am guaranteed to find something neat comic book  wise. From Doug Miller I can check out Dragon Lady, but I normally am broke before that point or my backpack is full already...lol

As for not knowing the 52 it is likely the Hairy T they now focus more on trades.  The Labyrinth has a membership as well for monthlies.  10% back if pick it up from the wall or back-issue bins and 20% back if you are on pull file.  I actually by my monthlies from them because it is cheapest for me.

I am glad to help and if you are in the Toronto area, feel free to send me a message on when you are going shopping.  If I am going that time I can always give you a tour in person.
Cheers
- Silkcuts
LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#11  Edited By LightBright

I'll never be able to give the same amount of knowledge Silkcuts can on this subject, but heck I'll throw it out there anyways. Curious Comics in Victoria is pretty fantastic. Of course you have to pay HST on stuff (sigh) but they have great prices on graphic novels and a wide selection of books and games, friendly and welcoming staff. There are two other stores right on the same street, Yellow Jacket and another for which the name escapes me, but Curious is by far my personal favourite. So yeah, if you ever feel like sampling West Coast comics (which are obviously so very different from other comics) there's always that. 

And then Phoenix Comics in Calgary. Because I have such a limited number of stores I visit and/or know of.