Posted by inferiorego (23090 posts) - - Show Bio

It was another week of awesome books and some really awesome covers, especially all those 3D covers from DC, which ended up, in person, looking really awesome. However, there was quite a few really cool looking covers that were in "boring" old 2D as well this week. Let's take a look at what the Comic Vine staff picked as their favorite covers this week.

This week, the very first comic we're looking at is by far my favorite of the week. It's the variant cover to SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #17. This stunning cover was drawn by artist J.G. Jones. While many of us are trying to set our Spider-man 2099 fanboy bias aside, this is just a great looking cover. The background work with the webbing and light blue shading is the perfect compliment to this seriously awesome cover.

This may not be one everyone at Comic Vine agreed on, but I thought it was super-awesome. Here we have the cover to CHEW #36. Artist Rob Guillory put this piece together. Who doesn't love the Looney Tunes? And who doesn't love CHEW? While I may be a trade-waiter (so this cover is a spoiler to me), this fun cover is a relief to long-time CHEW readers. In addition, Rob's art is just awesome. Every panel this guy draws screams "I'm going to make you love this."

When you have a seriously funny book, you'll need a seriously funny cover to get that point across to the people in their local comic shops, looking for something to buy. Luckily, artist Ryan Sook put together this incredible looking cover for QUANTUM & WOODY #3. Nothing says "buy me" than a character cowering a fear on the cover, right?

And the award for saddest cover of the week goes to X-FACTOR #262 by David Yardin. While it's a HUGE bummer that this series is coming to an end, Yardin's cover really does the issue some justice. We love the look on Madrox's face as he flips the sign from open to close. The way everything is framed up here makes this cover go from awesome to amazing.

Back on the ridiculous side of things, here we have SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN #3 by Michael Del Mundo. This artist makes our list quite a bit, but mainly for his work on the covers for X-MEN LEGACY. He always has these very weird and off-beat ideas for covers that end up looking amazing, and this cover in particular really captures the essence of the book entirely.

Artist David Marquez and colorist Frank D'Armata put the cover together this month for AVENGERS A.I. #3. What really sets this cover apart from the others are numerous elements. There's a great feeling of movement here because of the lines dashing across the page, which also makes it look like Vision is being erased from time. D'Armata's colors are wonderful and vibrant here as well.

Lastly, this incredibly detailed cover to BATMAN BLACK AND WHITE #1 was crafted by artist Marc Silvestri. The composition of Batman kneeling in front of his mother's pearls, with the skeletons behind him is incredibly cool, but that "wow" factor comes in when you see how much line work Silvestri put into this piece. Even though it's all in black and white, each element really stands on its own well.

Well, that's it for another round of best comic book covers of the week. Got some covers you guys loved? Throw them into the comment section below!

Mat Elfring is a comedian, writer, and has a podcast and weekly video show no one watches. Follow him on Twitter.

Staff
#1 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7820 posts) - - Show Bio

Great covers this week.

#2 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

Good

#3 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman: Black and White #1 of course...because Silvestri rules!

#4 Posted by Overlander (480 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no complaints with these choices, and particularly love the SUPERIOR FOES OF SPIDER-MAN cover.

#5 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-Man had a gorgeous cover this week! I really digged Battle of the Atom as well!

#6 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty sure that Superior cover is box art for a game.

Fitting that none of the villain month issues made it here given how samey they were, although I thought The Ventriloquist stood among the bunch.

#7 Posted by CaptainHoopla (986 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent choices this week, that Batman Black and White cover is amazing. I might have added the Shadowman cover.

#8 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33039 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by nappystr8 (1088 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wish I didn't know that Spider-Man 2099 variant exists. It's just great and I can't have it. The Quantum & Woody is also terrific. Interesting none of the 3D Villains month covers didn't make the cut. Not that they should, but it's interesting.

#10 Edited by DocFishstick (241 posts) - - Show Bio

man i love the covers this week. The Batman Black and White is so great.

#11 Edited by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonny_anonymous: Ah, I remember a version with his whole upper body though...Hmm...

#12 Edited by EvilPenguin543 (178 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spider-Man cover=awesome.

#13 Posted by jwalser3 (4891 posts) - - Show Bio

Justice League 23.1

IN 3-D!

#14 Posted by dondave (36520 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by GrandHarrier (121 posts) - - Show Bio

Are these covers picked for the content or because they come from books that someone likes, because I must say, some of the choices seem to come from the current darling books, even if the images themselves are fairly boring.

#16 Posted by JakeN7 (11730 posts) - - Show Bio

Green Arrow #23.1 (Count Vertigo #1) was my favorite this week. It came out so well in 3D, and utilized the lenticular covers the best out of the whole bunch, in my opinion.

#17 Edited by Smart_Dork_Dude (2633 posts) - - Show Bio

OH YEAH!!! Spidey 2099!!!!!!

#18 Posted by SavageDragon (2250 posts) - - Show Bio

the 3d Darkseid cover was so cool.

#19 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33039 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Edited by Samuel_Simmons (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Great picks

#22 Posted by DecoyElite (4019 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by longbowhunter (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the covers for Sheltered and Trillium were pretty great. Maybe I'm just being bias because I love those two books.

#24 Edited by Wilbertus (324 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, the Superior Spiderman cover takes it this week. By a long shot. And that's coming from a Batman fan.

Oh and the Deadshot one was pretty awesome too.

#25 Edited by Queso6p4 (1436 posts) - - Show Bio
#26 Posted by sanityisoverrated (28 posts) - - Show Bio

If those are Spider-Clowns on that one cover, I understand why that hero is cowering in fear. Great, like I don't have enough issues with clowns already. Also, I really love and I am saddened every time I see that X-Factor cover. It reminds me of like, the last episode of your favorite show, its always sad, and I really love Maddox, he is a great character.

#27 Edited by Cavemold (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed 100%

#28 Posted by Miss_Garrick (1757 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this cover as it's reminds me of the story line from the 80's when the Vision went inside all the major computers of the world. The proto-cyberspace realm that Vision "traveled" thru was drawn a bit similar to this. Probably not a deliberate Shout Out, but an interesting coincidence.

#29 Posted by _Marc_74 (164 posts) - - Show Bio

batman b&w has been my note 2 wallpaper for 2months, its great

cancelled my dc villains months stuff

#30 Edited by Armaghetto (19 posts) - - Show Bio

While I haven't been a fan of Spidey for quite a while (we really have to believe the Horizon think tank can't place Pete as Spidey?? He was swinging right in front of Modell!) I couldn't resist some 2099. Awesome cover

#31 Posted by Jake Fury (18394 posts) - - Show Bio

451 wins. 451 always wins ;)

#32 Posted by Teerack (5839 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to be really annoying if the entirety of the 2099 universe is insulted by Doc Ock being better at science than Meguil.

#34 Posted by Ukerupp (1 posts) - - Show Bio

That Batman Black and White cover is haunting! Also, the X-Factor cover is perfect for the series to end on. If anyone else is curious, there is another comic site which recently started up. We also have a best covers of the week article. You can find us at http://nothingbutcomics.wordpress.com/.

#35 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6637 posts) - - Show Bio

The SPiderman 2099 cover is the best. Others are allright.

#36 Posted by IrishX (2354 posts) - - Show Bio

G.I. Joe: Cobra Files #6 by Antonio Fuso

The Owl #3 Variant Cover by Ardian Syaf

#37 Posted by InFamous_Wolf (973 posts) - - Show Bio

Spawn #235

#38 Edited by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

S.M. is cool. Vision is sick. Bats B and W is crazy, and because it's the end of X-Factor it's cool because it's catchy. Emotional funny. The Chew, Woody, and Superior are garbage

#39 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

A few of the comicvine posters posted some great covers. The, what looks like Metron, on a pile of Iron Man helmets is cool. I don't think I've ever seen Silvestri do a Batman before tho. I was looking at it going, "I know that art. Who is it?" Then I read it was Silvestri. That's what thru me off.

#42 Posted by snarkybits (335 posts) - - Show Bio

Great choices!

#43 Posted by The_jackolantern (445 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone gave chew a shout out.it makes my day better now

#44 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5019 posts) - - Show Bio

Superior Spidey cover is sick.

#45 Posted by Mahzian (117 posts) - - Show Bio

3D covers dominated for me, was really surprised at how well they turned out, especially the logos, I really like the Poison Ivy cover

#47 Posted by katayev (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Why does X-Factor guy look like Constantine?

#48 Posted by MrMiyagii (28 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving the Superior Spiderman cover.