Best Comic Book Covers of the Week: 9/13/13

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Welcome back to the best comic book covers of the week! Each week, the Comic Vine staff picks some of their favorite comic book covers of the week. This week was full of awesomeness in covers, so it was pretty tough week to narrow it all down. Let's find out what was the best of the best!

No Caption Provided

Are you a Legomaniac? If so, you'll probably love this Leonel Castellani cover to the new book MIGHTY AVENGERS #1. Believe it or not, this is actual an homage, in Lego form, to the classic Steve Ditko cover to AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #12. It's great to see contemporary comics paying homage to some of the kings of the past. Castellani does a great job at putting together a really fun book that does the original cover justice.

No Caption Provided

One name you may keep seeing pop up on this weekly list is Phil Noto. There's a reason for that. His covers are incredibly cool looking and his art style is very unique. This week, he did the cover to ASTONISHING X-MEN #67. It's a pretty humorous cover, seeing Gambit blabbing on about something, while tentacles are chasing he and Wolverine down.

No Caption Provided

Up next is the variant cover for ARCHER & ARMSTRONG #13 by artist Juan Doe. It's a comical homage to the Evolution of Man piece with some very stylized art. The heavy inking lines on the T-Rex and on the other characters, plus the seemingly chaotic line work really make this a stand out cover.

No Caption Provided

This was a really tough choice for us because ETERNAL WARRIOR #1 had a few really stand-out covers; however, we decided to only chose one and this cover by Clayton Crain was the winner. The man is a beast when it comes to art. He has a definitive style, and this cover is pretty epic. It really describes the inner parts of the book incredibly well.

No Caption Provided

This cover is downright awesome. Artist Michael Komarck does a phenomenal job here on ULTIMATE COMICS ULTIMATES #30. The color work and shading are simply outstanding. This guy does amazing things with fantasy art and this cover especially. This issue goes a bit more in depth with who Kang is, so the cover does a great job of giving the reader an idea of what's coming to them.

No Caption Provided

Finally, we have the cover to X-MEN #5, which was part 3 of Battle of the Atom, drawn by Art Adams. This cover has a fantastic layout. We love the use of negative space and how the the lines in the background, coming from Cyclops' optic blast, create this cool background pattern.

Thanks for reading guys! However, you may notice for the second week in a row, there's no mention of any of the DC 3D covers. Don't worry because at the end of the month, we'll be having a wrap up of the 3D covers to see what we liked, what we didn't like, and overall, did the gimmick work? Got some covers that you loved? Let us know in the comment section, and we'll see you next week with a new batch of awesome covers!

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Phil Noto is a god to me. He could draw onions and I would be awe-struck.

JokingSparrow1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Those are some rad covers

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

I say "yes" to all of the above. Those were some of the best covers this week.

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Aww come on not a single villains month cover? Even without the 3d (which is awesome btw) there were some great covers by some REALLY great artists. Court of Owls and Reverse Flash especially stick out in my mind.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Love the Clayton Crain Eternal Warrior cover. His cover for issue 2 is awesome as well. I definitely wish he was doing the interiors as well even though Hairsine did a great job.

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#7  Edited By sinestro_GL

You would think that there would be at least one villain cover...seeing as how DC are releasing loads every week this month...

*le sigh

bunkerbuster05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By bunkerbuster05

You would think that there would be at least one villain cover...seeing as how DC are releasing loads every week this month...

*le sigh

@noj said:

Aww come on not a single villains month cover? Even without the 3d (which is awesome btw) there were some great covers by some REALLY great artists. Court of Owls and Reverse Flash especially stick out in my mind.

Thanks for reading guys! However, you may notice for the second week in a row, there's no mention of any of the DC 3D covers. Don't worry because at the end of the month, we'll be having a wrap up of the 3D covers to see what we liked, what we didn't like, and overall, did the gimmick work? Got some covers that you loved? Let us know in the comment section, and we'll see you next week with a new batch of awesome covers!

Come on, guys. Read the article.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

*le sigh

agreed

sinestro_GL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 8

#10  Edited By sinestro_GL
DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

*le sigh

Almost all the villain month covers are bland as heck.

RageEx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for rulerofthisuniverse
RulerOfThisUniverse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

X-Men #5 isn't really that good in my opinion, but otherwise those are some great covers.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love most of these. I can't help but love all of the Lego homage covers that are starting to release. Also can't not love any cover Clayton Crain does, seriously, every cover I've seen him do is amazing.

Want to give a shout out to the Red Sonja and Indestructible Hulk covers this week too.

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rageex2: Some of them even share background images. The Green Lantern strapped to a rock on Relic is the same one used in Mongul.
Talk about lazy.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#16  Edited By Extremis

Sorry but this list is incomplete without Captain America #11

Nice to see some respect for EW though. That cover is beast.

iaconpoint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wouldn't go near an Avenger book but that Lego (and any Lego really) cover is awesome!

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Hawkguy

@decoyelite said:

@rageex2:

Some of them even share background images. The Green Lantern strapped to a rock on Relic is the same one used in Mongul.

Talk about lazy.

I don't think the artist is at fault, I'm assuming DC editorial wanted that or else they'd tell them to change it up

DecoyElite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy: Then it's the editors being lazy. :P

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Once again I really loved FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics cover.

No Caption Provided

I also liked The Court of Owls cover on Batman and Robin and the new Avengers Arena cover.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Indestructible Hulk 13 cover with Hulk and the Black Knight is several kinds of awesome.

pikahyper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 581

#23  Edited By pikahyper  Moderator

Juan Doe is easily becoming one of my fav cover artists, his work is awesome.

My fav's this week start out with two that I normally wouldn't have any interest in but they were really quite beautiful once you get past the fact they are talking Ponies:

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

mojo2107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good line up of covers this week. As for the 3D covers my votes so far are for Darkseid and Black Manta.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Once again I really loved FBP: Federal Bureau of Physics cover.

No Caption Provided

I also liked The Court of Owls cover on Batman and Robin and the new Avengers Arena cover.

LOVE THIS!!

Also The Astonishing XMEn and Archie and Armstrong were awesome!

henrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the Avengers cover

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By RetconCrisis

Was gonna post a some Marvel covers, since they are sweet, but I guess I'll just post DC's since the OP posted a lot of good ones from Marvel already.

New 52 Villain Month New 52 "Mr. Freeze #1"

No Caption Provided

Batman Black and White (Actually Last Week)

No Caption Provided

Villains Month "Lobo #1"

No Caption Provided

And Federal Bureau of Physics as well, as shown above.

All in All, all of the Villain Month covers so far are great.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Archer & Armstrong and the Eternal Warrior ones were the best.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Eternal Warrior #1 done by Clayton Crain is the winner here!

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

You dont need mention 3d covers !! Lol. Great picks :( May have switched the astonishing x men for Avengers 19#