Best Comic Book Covers of the Week: 11/29/13

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Hope you all had a super-happy Thanksgiving! We're also glad so many of you are reading this and boycotting black Friday, just like me: wrapped up in a camouflage blanket watching old Corey Hart music videos on YouTube. Now that the turkey-sleepies have worn out it's time for the Comic Vine staff to let you guys know what they're thankful for, super-radical comic book covers. As you may remember, each week, the staff enters the Thunderdome with their picks for best covers and we all turn into Tina Turner. Here's this week's picks.

CATACLYSM: ULTIMATE X-MEN #1 by Mariusz Siergiejew

No Caption Provided

The first cover on our list this week is CATACLYSM: X-MEN #1 by Mariusz Siergiejew. This cover has a very mythological feel to it. It looks epic. It's a cover worthy of having Galactus' face plastered on it. We love the fact there's the X in the back and the cover really reflects the feel of this book.

RED LANTERNS #25 by Alessandro Vitti & Gabe Eltaeb

No Caption Provided

Second up on our list this week is RED LANTERNS #25 by Alessandro Vitti and Gabe Eltaeb. This is a bit of a chilling cover as we see Guy Gardner bleeding all over the globe. We love the look on his face and the blood pouring out of his eyes. Eltaeb's colors on here are wonderful. We love the way the globe illuminates and the light reflects off of his hands.

SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #22 by Humberto Ramos

No Caption Provided

Next up is SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #22 by Humberto Ramos. The layout of this cover is really cool. The black and white background, with the venom logo makes for a really interesting and intriguing background here. Ramos really knows what he's doing here. The color work on Spider-Man is great, as well, especially on the head and shoulders.

AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #21 by Jorge Molina

No Caption Provided

I never thought I'd ever see a super-hero surfing on some DNA; however on the cover of AVENGERS ASSEMBLE #21, Spider-Woman is doing just that. This very bright and colorful cover was drawn by none other than Jorge Molina, and because it's so colorful and bright, it really pops compared to most the other books on the shelf. This really cool design is what landed it on this week's list.

CATWOMAN #25 by Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson

No Caption Provided

If you've ever wanted to know how many cats you can fit onto the cover of a comic, with it still being really awesome, the answer is 16. This cat-astic cover for CATWOMAN #25 was put together by Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson. The design is fantastic here and leads the reader's eye wander around the page. The color work, as well is beautiful and extremely well done.

INFINITY #6 by Skottie Young

No Caption Provided

Originally, the main cover of this book was going to be on this list. Then, the Terry Dodson cover was going to be on here instead. THEN, we saw the In-Hyuk Lee cover and thought that should be on the list. However, when it came down to it, the INFINITY #6 cover that we liked best was the Skottie Young variant featuring the son of Thanos, Thane. We love Young's style and this very cartoonish cover for a very serious and darker book. The blue background really pops here, Young's art always looks really cool on a cover.

Well, time to eat some leftover turkey and snooze on the couch! If you think we missed out on a cover this week and you want us to know about it, let us know in the comment section below. See you guys next week!

Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring is a writer, podcaster, blogger, tweeter, and is in a turkey coma.

KryptonSabbath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

No Caption Provided

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By doombot890

Red Lanterns gets better and better!

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my vote:

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

No Caption Provided

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Ha! That Infinity cover is great. I just read that issue an hour ago. Currently I too am wrapped in a blanket boycotting Black Friday. I completed 95% of my shopping this morning online.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spinningbirdcake

Nice choices. Superior Spider-Man wins because it hides that marvel now banner.

Mr_Athrilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man Galactus looks boss. To me Galactus has always been one of those villains that either looks incredibly stupid, or intensely terrifying. There is no middle ground.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

Ha! That Infinity cover is great. I just read that issue an hour ago. Currently I too am wrapped in a blanket boycotting Black Friday. I completed 95% of my shopping this morning online.

what do you mean you are boycotting it?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: I mean I'm not going out at 5:00am punching housewives in the throat for a deal on an iPad.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: I mean I'm not going out at 5:00am punching housewives in the throat for a deal on an iPad.

I misread your post. Thought you meant the comic "Black Science".

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: Hell no. I'm in full support of that. What an awesome first issue. Frogs are dicks!

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: Hell no. I'm in full support of that. What an awesome first issue. Frogs are dicks!

I haven't read it yet but I plan on picking it up.

I have to admit, I like the idea of you punching housewives in the throat though lol

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@extremis: I like that idea too actually. "Get in your Lincoln Navigator and take you and your bad dye job back to suburbia". Then POW!!!

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Extremis

@longbowhunter said:

@extremis: I like that idea too actually. "Get in your Lincoln Navigator and take you and your bad dye job back to suburbia". Then POW!!!

probably not out of the realm of possibility of what someone has already done today

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Both the Scottie Young and In-Hyuk Lee Infinity covers are great. I also really liked Phil Jimenez's Savage Wolverine cover....

No Caption Provided

ChocolateFrogs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#16  Edited By ChocolateFrogs

@manwithoutshame said:

my vote:

No Caption Provided

Nice cover. Has JLD been any good since Lemire left? (Is DeMatteis a good writer in general?)

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Hawkguy

@chocolatefrogs: I've really enjoyed his work on The Phantom Stranger and I believe this was his premier issue on JLD and it was a fantastic read imo.

Edit: I believe he co-writes Larfleeze as well.

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Skottie Young really need to get a real job instead of milking his one trick pony to death

Avatar image for raggedscarecrow
RaggedScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the single greatest thing I have read today. Thank you kind sir.

@chocolatefrogs: This is his second issue of JLD. Personally, I've really been enjoying the start of his run. The first issue was a bit wordy, but the second one managed to find the right balance between text and art. It still sucks that his run starts on a 4-month, 18-part long tie-in, but I'm trying not to hold that against him.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for yung_ancient_one
Yung ANcient One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

#21  Edited By Yung ANcient One

HOw many kids does Thanos have?

(+)

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#22  Edited By Overlander

Every user-referenced cover is better than that Red Lantern cover. Everything else was rightfully featured. Great week in comics.

I also particularly appreciated the Wolverine & the X-Men cover form this week:

No Caption Provided

ravisher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ravisher

i agree with the comment pics

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

eh not that great covers this week.

Lykida

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Lykida

I love the SpOck cover as well, but what exactly is he doing there? I mean he stands there in a weird way, I think. Not even standing really. More floating. Weird pose. But it was a good story.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chocolatefrogs: If you liked what was happening in JLD before Lemire left, you'll like this. JM has been just as good so far, and personally I think Janin's art is among DC's best at the moment.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By Grey56
Avatar image for terrybogard2014
TerryBogard2014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

No Caption Provided

LOL

Jeremy1989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

AAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWE

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool
TheWalkingDeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

This may have come out last week, but I didn't see it until this week...