#1 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't have very many Cap comics..which ones are worth giving a try?

#2 Posted by RideASpaceCowboy (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Ultimates volumes 1 and 2 are my favorites. I'm also making my way through Ed Brubaker's run at the moment; I just finished the Winter Soldier arc, and it's excellent so far.

#3 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the modern choice would be Ed Brubaker's Captain America run. It starts from Captain America: Winter Soldier, and ends at Captain America Reborn. He also has a second run after that, but the second one's generally not as critically acclaimed.

For older, classic runs, there's Captain America: No More (where Cap leaves the government and goes on to be the Captain) as well as War & Remembrance (Cap fighting Nazi vampires). There's also Mark Waid and Ron Garney's run on Cap (Captain America Operation Rebirth), which has received widespread acclaim.

I've also heard good things about Man Out of Time.

#4 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Ed Brubaker's run is honestly the only thing I'd recommend. The Ultimates was fantastic, but it was more of an Avengers story than a Captain America story.

#5 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't read Brubaker's run.

It's Gruenwald's run recycled, made infinitely worse, and dosed with ten tons of Sharon Carter fanwanking.

In short, read the Mark Gruenwald stuff. Every story Brubaker had was literally a rip off of a Gruenwald arc.

#6 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Don't read Brubaker's run.

It's Gruenwald's run recycled, made infinitely worse, and dosed with ten tons of Sharon Carter fanwanking.

In short, read the Mark Gruenwald stuff. Every story Brubaker had was literally a rip off of a Gruenwald arc.

Not that I'm contesting this (seeing as how I've never actually read anything by Gruenwald), but how exactly was it a recycled run? From what I've heard, the two seem to be polar opposites. Readers seem to describe Gruenwald's run as being more 'superheroics' while Brubaker's was more 'espionage-ish'.

#7 Posted by TDK_1997 (14456 posts) - - Show Bio

I have read only Brubaker's run and I can only say something about him and I definitely liked it.It was something that made me like the character.

#8 Posted by Binski (643 posts) - - Show Bio

The new series with Remender is good I think, def worth a try.

#9 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

@Binski said:

The new series with Remender is good I think, def worth a try.

Ech, not a fan. I read the first two issues - it's a little too weird science-fiction and feels completely isolated from Captain America's world and the rest of the MU. Honestly, if you replaced Cap and Zola with a generic sci-fi hero and villain, the end result wouldn't be that different.

Still, if that floats your boat, by all means.

#10 Posted by Binski (643 posts) - - Show Bio

@Veshark: Well...you're not wrong but that's also what I kinda like about it that and this great looking cover

#11 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

All good, friend. We all have our own tastes.

And yeah, that is a pretty kickass cover ;)