#1 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

So me and my officemate have been debating on who is the greatest or best boyscout in both those Universes, like the most selfless, or the guy who always does the right thing no matter what, no corruptions, or no bad things done in the past. I've went for Spidey and he went for Cap, what do you guys think?

#2 Posted by Sharkbite (293 posts) - - Show Bio

The Boy Scout motto: "Be Prepared"

Best Boy Scout is hands down Batman.

Good citizenship is only a small part of what the Boy Scouts of America teach. The vast majority of it actually focuses on skillsets that get otherwise neglected by traditional education.

#3 Edited by Strider92 (16509 posts) - - Show Bio

@fury714 said:

So me and my officemate have been debating on who is the greatest or best boyscout in both those Universes, like the most selfless, or the guy who always does the right thing no matter what, no corruptions, or no bad things done in the past. I've went for Spidey and he went for Cap, what do you guys think?

Well Captain America was a soldier so shot and killed people during WW2. While he was fighting for his country he still shot and killed people for doing the same thing so while he was a good soldier I would not put him as a boyscout. Cap even beheaded some guy with his shield in front of Union Jack (don't remember who the villain was). Spider-man on the other hand has never killed someone outright (assuming we are talking about Peter and not Superior). The closest Peter ever came to blatantly murdering someone was against Shathra and she wasn't human.

So to answer your question Spider-man is definitely more of a boy scout than Cap. Spider-man has a strict policy of never killing. Cap on the other hand will kill if he is put in that position.

Top boy-scouts:

Marvel = Spider-man

DC = Superman

#4 Posted by SoA (4838 posts) - - Show Bio

marvel- captain america

DC- captain marvel (pre n52)

#5 Posted by Cap10nate (2308 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

Cap even beheaded some guy with his shield in front of Union Jack (don't remember who the villain was).

Cap beheaded Baron Blood in front of Union Jack in Captain America 254. Baron Blood was an undead vampire so he doesn't really count, and it was a fight in which the sun was setting so Blood was getting stronger and stronger and it was the only way Cap could stop him before he was overtaken.

I'm trying to upload the scan but am having some difficulties. I will put it up as soon as I am able.

#6 Posted by rico_3088 (485 posts) - - Show Bio

Top boy-scouts:

Marvel = Spider-man

DC = Superman

#7 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20263 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel Boy Scout : Captain America

DC Boy Scout : Superman

#8 Posted by ngroove (321 posts) - - Show Bio

Spidey threw away his "scout card" the moment he sold his marriage to the devil - yes, I went there!

Marvel - Captain America

DC - Superman

#9 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio

Boyscout of the year award would go to Cyclops but he's turned to the new magneto.

So I will nominate captain America.

I would say spider man but sometimes he lacks the confidence.

#10 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

"Spidey threw away his "scout card" the moment he sold his marriage to the devil - yes, I went there!" Wooosh. Burned!

#11 Posted by Tuffy11111 (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain America, Superman, and Captain Marvel would be my 3 nominees just based on reputation. In JLU Batman even said Captain Marvel was more of a boyscout than Superman.

#12 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

My vote is still Spidey, although he doesn't play that much big of a role sometimes to make big decisions, hence he's not placed in a gamechanging situation. (i.e. Cap or IM in Civil War) correct me if im wrong though.

#13 Posted by Sinfulplayerx (193 posts) - - Show Bio

It seems Wolverine is now more boyscout then Spiderman now since he is no longer PeterParker....

#14 Posted by SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26 (6487 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd say Captain America for Marvel and Superman for DC. Very easy question.

#15 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems like we got a lot more votes for cap and supes.

#16 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92 said:

@fury714 said:

Well Captain America was a soldier so shot and killed people during WW2. While he was fighting for his country he still shot and killed people for doing the same thing so while he was a good soldier I would not put him as a boyscout. Cap even beheaded some guy with his shield in front of Union Jack (don't remember who the villain was). Spider-man on the other hand has never killed someone outright (assuming we are talking about Peter and not Superior). The closest Peter ever came to blatantly murdering someone was against Shathra and she wasn't human.

So to answer your question Spider-man is definitely more of a boy scout than Cap. Spider-man has a strict policy of never killing. Cap on the other hand will kill if he is put in that position.

Top boy-scouts:

Marvel = Spider-man

DC = Superman

This is good... But, I have to point something out. I'm sorry to say that what you said brought back to the surface a memory I have managed to repress for decades... sigh... Spider-Man HAS actually killed someone... But it was an incredibly stupid scene and written poorly... I can't remember all the details but he punched a woman in the face and it killed her. She did not have super powers... Now... he didn't TRY to kill her. As I recall, the woman WANTED to die, so she attacked Spider-Man, causing his Spider-Sense to go off, and he reacted by spinning suddenly and punching her...

No, I'm not making this up... and Yes, you have to ignore that his spider-sense would not really have gone off since she really wasn't much of a threat to him at all... ESPECIALLY since she really hadn't intended to attack him... Also, I think she was already injured so it wasn't as if he did the deed entirely by himself...

In spite of this, I still agree with you.. Spidey is the biggest boy scout in the Marvel Universe... And if you consider what he's suffered, it makes it even MORE impressive that he's such a boyscout..

#17 Posted by Strider92 (16509 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: Yes it was pretty stupid but it was different because it was not an intentional killing. The incident you're referring too is the one when she jumped into a fight between Spider-man and Wolverine yeah? Spider-man lashed out instinctively as he and Wolverine where so concentrated on the fight. He didn't make a conscious decision to kill someone (that has only happened once). However it was still stupid and shouldn't have happened. Cap on the other hand has killed people multiple times with relative ease.

#18 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92:

True. Absolutely true... It was just a knew-jerk self-defense reaction which, those of us who know Spidey, know would never really happen. At least, not when he's "fake attacked" and by a woman with no super powers at that...

I can't recall who was actually fighting who. I think Spidey and Wolverine were actually on the same side... But the woman definitely jumped into 'something'... And her intention was to get Spidey to hit her. Kind of like suicide by cop. She wanted to die... and the word "stupid" is an appropriate word to describe the whole thing...

Spidey has never intentionally killed anyone, and I can't imagine him EVER intentionally killing anyone...

Cap, on the other hand, was a soldier...He was fighting Nazis! He's killed many people... I can't remember what story it was in, but Bucky Barnes stated that he actually killed Hitler... It was one of those conversations where someone (Ms. Marvel I think) posed the question, "If you could go back in time and kill Hitler before he rose to power, would you?"

Ms. Marvel: If you could go back in time and kill Hitler before he rose to power, would you?

Bucky (Cap): I did.

Ms. Marvel: What?

Bucky: I did kill Hitler...

LOL! not that he went back to the past to do it.. or before Hitler rose to power... but it was an interesting conversation.

SOOOO, getting back on topic... When it comes to whether or not they are willing to kill, Spidey is most definitely the bigger boy scout here....

#19 Posted by Strider92 (16509 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

Spidey has never intentionally killed anyone, and I can't imagine him EVER intentionally killing anyone...

The only time this ever happened was VS Shathra because she bloodlusted Pete:

#20 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

marvel- captain america

DC- captain marvel (pre n52)

Really? How is Captain Marvel?

#21 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

so killing is the deciding factor for boy scouts? what

#22 Posted by GunGunW (996 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

Marvel Boy Scout : Captain America

DC Boy Scout : Superman

#23 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Cap is my favorite boy scout type character.

#24 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: So... He DID kill her?

#25 Edited by Strider92 (16509 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

@Strider92: So... He DID kill her?

He did but not in that fight. In their second fight he inadvertently killed her. Spider-man lured her to this temple thing and Ezekiel summoned all these spiders and they killed Shathra. Spider-man although he didn't kill her he sat back and watched her get killed by the spiders even when she asked for mercy. As she was a totem eater Pete knew if he let her live she would never stop coming but it was mainly Ezekiel who did the killing.

#26 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess the basis for this is, is who would still take the good path no matter what the odds are. Like say if there would be a time that an innocent or someone has to be killed to save the world, would spidey do it?

#27 Posted by SoA (4838 posts) - - Show Bio

@jeanroygrant: i always associated boyscout and that goody two shoes behavior to be one and the same

#28 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@Strider92: ahhh... Was Ezekiel the rich guy that also had spider powers?

@fury714 said:

I guess the basis for this is, is who would still take the good path no matter what the odds are. Like say if there would be a time that an innocent or someone has to be killed to save the world, would spidey do it?

That's an excellent question... I think Cap would, but Spidey wouldn't.... Just my opinion.

#29 Posted by jeanroygrant (20191 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

@jeanroygrant: i always associated boyscout and that goody two shoes behavior to be one and the same

Oh.

#30 Posted by fury714 (589 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm: yeah that's ezekiel. Yeah personally I would think so too, Cap would always just choose the lesser evil but Spidey will always stick to the good path or clean path.