• 57 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Hey there, action junkies! Want to hear something awesome? It's Friday! What better way is there to celebrate than by reliving the most excellent fights in this week's new comics, right? We've got a nice dose of variety for you, too. First off, we have a match between two skilled hand-to-hand combatants. Then we'll get to check out massive brawl between monsters. And, last but not least, we'll chime in on a fight between two powerful characters in the DC universe.

"Hey, why isn't a fight I love being highlighted and/or listed in the honorable mentions? What gives?!" It's possible we didn't read that issue (A LOT come out each week, after all), or we didn't dig it as much. So, be sure to make suggestions in the official Best Battles Discussion Threadfrom now on to put this stuff on our radar. We review that before writing this weekly feature and do our best to get our hands on the issues suggested.

No Caption Provided

DAREDEVIL #2

The second chapter of Mark Waid and Chris Samnee's latest volume of DAREDEVIL featured Shroud, a character that isn't very popular, so don't feel too bad if you have no idea who is he. Clearly, Waid is aware of this because he finds a natural way to fit in discussing the character's origin story and basic abilities. So, what forces this fellow to clash with The Man Without Fear? Well, it turns out Shroud isn't very pleased about Matt Murdock's move to San Francisco. Shroud considers the city his turf and wants him to back off. Obviously, that's not going to happen and the two begin to scuffle instead of, you know, talking it out like normal people.

No Caption Provided

What makes Waid's time with Daredevil particularly cool is the strong emphasis on Daredevil using his radar to make him a superb detective. It's constantly on display in this book and, in fact, how these two first met is a great example of it. You see, Shroud was lurking on Daredevil's roof as the hero was inside with company. Despite socializing with them, Murdock could not only hear Shroud on his roof, but could also determine the attire he's wearing. Waid also gives credit to Murdock's hand-to-hand abilities -- and understandably so because the dude's a very gifted fighter. As you can see from the captions, we get to dive inside Murock's head as he's locked in hand-to-hand combat and he's constantly examining his foe.

No Caption Provided

Samnee's energetic and fun artwork is such a strong compliment to Waid's script. It does a fine job honing in on each and every strike, just like Daredevil is doing in is own head. Speaking of which, you probably noticed Matt's being quite descriptive with the moves. He can tell his opponent is skilled, and, so far, our hero's been striking and defending with his right hand. He's doing this because he knows his opponent is likely reading him as well, so this was all an attempt to trick Shroud into believing he favors his right arm. The play worked and when Murdock gets an opening with his left fist, he makes sure it counts.

No Caption Provided

Shroud's lost the battle, but the issue is hardly over. The character has an ace up his sleeve and it forces Murdock into an uneasy alliance with him. But can Shroud be truly be trusted? Well, of course not, but don't you want to see how it all plays out?!

GODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH #11

Godzilla, the King of Monsters, had a pretty rough time in the new issue of IDW'SGODZILLA: RULERS OF EARTH. Written by Chris Mowry and with art by Matt Frank and Priscilla Tramontano, this chapter placed the iconic Kaiju in an incredibly unfair fight. Sure, we all know the beast is crazy powerful, but here, it's a two-on-one fight against two underwater monsters. Naturally, it doesn't start on a strong note for Godzilla.

No Caption Provided

Will Godzilla break free and give these two opponents a well-deserved beatdown? Will the titan unleash its atomic breath, blasting its enemies away from it? Unfortunately for Godzilla, neither of those things happen -- at least not yet. Instead, another enemy Kaiju joins the fray and, as Godzilla's restrained, this new fiend delivers an absolutely vicious strike to its belly.

No Caption Provided

What a bunch of miserable cheaters, right? As if two versus one wasn't fair enough, they had to call in back up just to stack the odds even more. However, they're messing with the King of Monsters, and not even a fierce stab to the tummy will incapacitate this beast. Not only is Godzilla still good to go, but the creature then shows them who's boss. Godzilla dishes out some atomic breath and then uses their numbers against them by throwing them into one another. But Godzilla's streak is stopped when yet ANOTHER Kaiju enters the battle and punches poor ol' Godzilla in the face. So begins the savagery.

No Caption Provided

Does Godzilla slaughter them all? Does a third party intervene? Does this also make you really, really want to see the new movie in IMAX? Well, you'll just have to read the issue to get all of the details! Plus -- and I know it's hard to believe -- this isn't the only awesome fight in the issue, either. The book kicks off with a pretty epic brawl in Paris and it even destroys one of the city's landmarks. Which one, you ask? Well, like I said, go buy the issue to find out!

AQUAMAN #30

Jeff Parker's run on AQUAMAN dishes out quite a rumble between two heavy-hitters: Aquaman and Hercules. The latest issue, illustrated by Paul Pelletier and colored by Rain Beredo, revolves primarily around these two super-strong characters duking it out. The son of Zeus has only one thing on his mind: revenge. His mind has been twisted and he wants nothing more than to make Atlanteans suffer. Arthur Curry has the misfortune of being his punching bag and the two powerhouses wind up taking quite a tumble.

No Caption Provided

When you have two absurdly powerful characters constantly tackling one another into the Earth, it's going to take a bit of a toll. Shortly after this fall, the two smash into a wall and it causes a whole lot of rubble to come crashing down on them. The Demigod eventually recovers from the wreckage, but he sees that his massive body protected Arthur from the debris. He views this as being manipulated yet again (read this issue and #29 to find out why) and then attempts to strangle Aquaman to death. Arthur has very gifted physicals, but to get out of this situation, he'll need to use his wit. Keep in mind, it has been a long time since Hercules has encountered an Atlantean and, if you know your DC history, then you know they were once surface dwellers. Such isn't the case anymore, but he's completely oblivious to that.

No Caption Provided

Poor, poor Hercules. Now that Arthur's back in the water, the fight can finally turn back in his favor. Right after the Demigod dips him in, Arthur rocks Hercules' face with a crazy powerful punch. So powerful, in fact, that it sends the big man flying and he eventually smashes back into the ocean. Now, Arthur has him right where he wants him.

No Caption Provided

Okay, it's pretty obvious who's going to win at this point, but Parker makes sure it's one hell of a victory. Plenty of hits are thrown -- and plenty were thrown that we didn't reveal to you -- so, if you want to see the full clash between Aquaman and Hercules, do the right thing and pick up the issue!

More battles that are full of win can be found in the following new issues:

• ELEKTRA #1
  • DEAD BODY ROAD #5
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE UNITED #0
  • TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES #33
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE DARK #30
  • INJUSTICE: YEAR TWO #8
  • UNCANNY AVENGERS #19
  • THE WALKING DEAD #126
  • UBER #11
  • LARFLEEZE #10
No Caption Provided

That's it for this week, friends! What are your top three fights from this latest round of new comics? Also, don't forget to make nominations every week in the official thread or tell us via Twitter. See you next Friday. Oh, have a good weekend, too!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I'm glad this weeks Larfleeze at least got an honorable mention. Also, why is Aquaman on here? isn't he just a Freaky Fish Guy? how could he possibly put up a fight against someone?

The answer is here:

Loading Video...

Man, I've been posting a lot of videos lately

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

I was going to suggest Aquaman but wasn't sure if it was good enough. Glad it made it up there. That plow Aquaman used was funny. "oh no please don't drown me! Anything but that! *wink wink*"

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 17

GAH!!!! Shroud in Daredevil......still not buying.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I really, really am tired of the art in DD. Its so boring and bland. And DD looks goofy as hell.

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is that Destroyah in the Godzilla comic?

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#6 frozen  Moderator

@k4tzm4n: I like the Godzilla series --- aside from the art and boring human storylines, some of the battles are awesome.

Is that Destroyah in the Godzilla comic?

Yes. He's fought him a few times in the series and can lift him rather easily.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I'm not right handed." DD is so underrated. Love that guy.

The Aquaman fight is another I look forward to seeing once it hits trade.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 frozen  Moderator
LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By LCazT1996

That Daredevil issue was awesome

mcbig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow at first I thought there was a new series called Daredevil Godzilla. Now I can't stop imagining Godzilla in Daredevils costume.

hart7668

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Love the reference thrown into DD

Rzrs3dge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can't believe the reference to The Princess Bride was not mentioned in the Daredevil review.

Loading Video...

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By kidchipotle

Good battle choices this week.

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All-New Invaders had a pretty good one too!

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 owie  Moderator

I was glad the fight with Shroud was set up to really give some respect to Shroud's martial arts abilities, even if he obviously and deservedly lost in the end. He's pretty good, but doesn't always get in situations where we can figure out exactly where he lies within the hierarchy of Marvel martial artists. Clearly below Daredevil, of course. But I'd like to see him mix it up with more of Marvel's respected fighters.

Phalcon05

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Phalcon05

Injustice Year two Hal Jordan vs the Green Lantern corps was great. The series has been building up issue after issue and finally the fisticuffs have come

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

Shroud took part in Shadowland, DD knows who he is. Was this mentioned in the issue? What am I asking, of course it wasn't because Waid like to pretend past continuity doesn't exist.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You left out Justice League Beyond 2.0

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, really am tired of the art in DD. Its so boring and bland. And DD looks goofy as hell.

I love it.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I really like how Waid put Matt's mind on center there.

Avatar image for donovan_montgomery
Donovan Montgomery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

@rzrs3dge: @hart7668: I caught that to. Whole family loves that movie.

@jonny_anonymous: Was wondering the same.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@micah said:

You left out Justice League Beyond 2.0

You forgot to read the second paragraph ;)

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: I'm officially nominating that book.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 frozen  Moderator
Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

What happened to the captions? I liked those.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By frozen  Moderator

IDW Godzilla should stomp that fight.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@saren said:

What happened to the captions? I liked those.

The combination of being VERY pressed for time (needed to race into the city to see ASM2 and this segment usually takes me quite some time) + still fighting bronchitis (i consumed countless cough drops to make sure I wasn't a nuisance in the movie) = those being sacrificed in this edition. Honestly, I rarely see comments about them anymore so I figured people wouldn't miss them all that much this time around.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

#30  Edited By StMichalofWilson

Awesome fights this week! Definitely picking up Godzilla to see more!

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 frozen  Moderator
dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: It was basically a buildup from all of his discretions that culminated with him trolling Naruto fans and being banned

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 frozen  Moderator

@dondave: He posted yesterday as Pokergeist.

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: That's not him. He gave his cadence account to a Geist and started using indiecomicsftw until he was banned.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 frozen  Moderator

@dondave said:

@frozen: That's not him. He gave his cadence account to a Geist and started using indiecomicsftw until he was banned.

Damn.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I'm glad Aquaman made the list. It's also nice to see Justice League United, Injustice Year Two, The Walking Dead, Uber and Larfleeze get mentioned in the honorable mentions.

Blackdog2009

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hands down the AQUAMAN VS HERCULES battle takes the prize. The Daredevil one was lame in comparison, really.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hands down the AQUAMAN VS HERCULES battle takes the prize. The Daredevil one was lame in comparison, really.

Not really. Sure the Aquaman vs Hercules battle was more visceral and explosive in comparison to the Daredevil fight, but the Daredevil fight decided to go a bit differently than usual comic fights with feature whom can punch whom harder by being a bit cerebral with Matthew using that clever ploy to fool Shroud. It's a nice change of pace frankly.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

I disagree i understand that arts not for everybody but it's not generic. Generic is stuff like that Godzilla comic and Aquaman (alot of DC actually) Some are styles may not be the best but practically all are good at Marvel i also give them mad props for using different art styles that helpes me decide why i want to get a new series. At DC while not trying to start stuff with some exception like Green Arrow almost all of the art is the same. I think they head the complaints and plan on trying new different art styles since i keep seeing that Superman ad with Rosita is coming or whatever but still. If the art style is good i still want diversity in the publisher but the worst part is the artstyle the choose for most of their books is extremely generic. I know they do it to help it feel like a shared universe but it just gets boring.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Isn't Destroyah dead or is the comic different from the movies? Because I remember him being more then a match for Godzilla on his own.

roboadmiral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@rzrs3dge said:

Can't believe the reference to The Princess Bride was not mentioned in the Daredevil review.

Loading Video...

Right? It was like waiting for a bus that didn't show up.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By frozen  Moderator

@ostyo said:

@frozen: Isn't Destroyah dead or is the comic different from the movies? Because I remember him being more then a match for Godzilla on his own.

He died in the movie. The IDW comic is not the same as the other comic versions. The IDW Godzilla is perhaps the most powerful version of Godzilla thus far.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@frozen: Huh, maybe Billoante will show up too then. That would be cool.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#46  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

WOO GODZILLA FOR THE WIN!!!!

No Caption Provided

How ezxited are you for the new Godzilla @k4tzm4n?

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@fallschirmjager:

I disagree i understand that arts not for everybody but it's not generic. Generic is stuff like that Godzilla comic and Aquaman (alot of DC actually) Some are styles may not be the best but practically all are good at Marvel i also give them mad props for using different art styles that helpes me decide why i want to get a new series. At DC while not trying to start stuff with some exception like Green Arrow almost all of the art is the same. I think they head the complaints and plan on trying new different art styles since i keep seeing that Superman ad with Rosita is coming or whatever but still. If the art style is good i still want diversity in the publisher but the worst part is the artstyle the choose for most of their books is extremely generic. I know they do it to help it feel like a shared universe but it just gets boring.

I wasn't starting a DC vs Marvel debate, I just think the art sucks ass.

Alex Maleev is way better.

Avatar image for thewalkingdeadpool18
thewalkingdeadpool18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager:

Not trying to start a company debate either i was just saying i think DC could really benefit from using different art styles. Some are better then others but most are good at Marvel because they do a great job with that art style. DC does a great job with the same art style they choose for basically every comic but it's still generic and gets boring. I buy DC in trades other then Batman i buy him whenever he comes out, but when it's a slow weeks where i'm not spending too much i look at DC and see if i want to hop on one and i look at the same boring art over and over i figure i can wait for the trade.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@thewalkingdeadpool18 said:

@fallschirmjager:

Not trying to start a company debate either i was just saying i think DC could really benefit from using different art styles. Some are better then others but most are good at Marvel because they do a great job with that art style. DC does a great job with the same art style they choose for basically every comic but it's still generic and gets boring. I buy DC in trades other then Batman i buy him whenever he comes out, but when it's a slow weeks where i'm not spending too much i look at DC and see if i want to hop on one and i look at the same boring art over and over i figure i can wait for the trade.

I don't agree at all, but whatever. No two pairs of eyes see the same thing.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By micah007123
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

JLB had some pretty visceral fights that worked well with the art.