Best Battles in New Comics

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Hey there, Comic Viners, and welcome to the latest edition of 'Best Battles.' As you probably know by now, this is where we pick our 3 favorite fights in the latest comics and show off why they were super awesome. This week we have the Ninja Turtles in a desperate situation, two enemies are forced to team-up and Cheshire reveals how The New 52 has changed way more than just her attire. Don't forget to chime in with your own top 3 in the comments below!

*WARNING! SPOILERS AHEAD!*

TMNT & Casey Jones vs. Shredder & The Foot Clan (TMNT #22)

Rember that time I warned you about spoilers? You know, like two spaces or so up? Well, that applies big time here. So, if you don't want the intro chapter of 'City Fall' spoiled for you, you need to make a run for it right now.

The Turtles' first big event kicks off with Raphael and Casey Jones getting ambushed by a really, really, reaaaaally big crowd of Foot Clan ninjas. Usually the heroes can make short work of them, but this is two versus a ridiculous number of enemies. Shortly after the brawl begins, Casey takes a hit to the neck and goes down for the count. This distracts Raph, and despite all of his rage, he's quickly subdued when the ninjas basically dog pile on him. Not exactly an ideal start for our protagonists.

A man with a baseball bat can only do so much against a flood of ninjas.
A man with a baseball bat can only do so much against a flood of ninjas.

The two are held captive but Raph manages to break free in an awesome escape sequence. Naturally, he manages to grab his sais as he bolts. While Casey is still in the enemy's possession, Raph did manage to overhear where the Foot was heading. Outraged and overwhelmed with a sense of urgency, the red turtle brings this news to his brothers and they set off to rescue their pal. However, Splinter and Leonardo are no fools and obviously fear it could be a trap, so they decided to scout the area and observe before jumping into action. They do eventually find Casey being held by Alopex and Karai, but before they can form a plan, Shredder enters the scene. Fully aware they're being watched by the heroes in a half shell, Shredder decides to make the first move... and it's an unfortunate one for Casey, to say the least.

So yeah, this wasn't one of Casey's better days.
So yeah, this wasn't one of Casey's better days.

Raph was already livid, but seeing his friend get impaled? The dude goes into overdrive and leads the assault. Shredder, Karai and Alopex aren't alone, though. Plenty of ninjas appear and the turtles and Splinter quickly begin to go to town on them. In spite of being outnumbered, a few of the good guys manage to pull Casey away from the battle and bring him to the van. The group realizes he needs medical attention immediately and begin to fall back in order to save their buddy. However, this is all part of Shredder's plan. You see, he never cared about Casey... this entire show was just to get Leo within his grasp, and when the group flees to help Casey, Leonardo takes a hit and goes down for the count. Upon making it to the van, the turtles realize they left Leo behind. Seeing as Casey is in beyond urgent need of a doctor, they realize they have to make the impossible choice and leave their brother behind. This issue has taught us two things. One: Shredder's a jerk. And two: this is just the beginning of Dark Leo! Will Shredder brainwash Leo to legitimately stand by his side or is Leo merely playing along? Only time will tell.

There's a Foot Ninja taking a foot to the face. That is all.
There's a Foot Ninja taking a foot to the face. That is all.

Will Casey survive? It seems so based on the dialogue, but hey, it's possible they'll shock us, too. All I know is I cannot wait for TMNT #23 to finally come out. One thing's for sure, though... 'City Fall' is off to a great start.

Venom & Toxin vs. Symbiote Slayers (VENOM #35)

After months and months of tension, Eddie Brock finally seeks to end his rivalry with Flash Thompson and confronts him in the school. Brock doesn't tell him to meet him at the flag pole after class or anything like that, he just gets straight down to business and says this fight is going down now whether Flash likes it or not, and because of that, he better opt to go outside with him. Brock may be a villain, but he has no desire to hurt innocent kids, after all. Before the argument reaches "come at me, bro!" levels, a rude group of symbiote slayers invade the building. Since they're outnumbered, the two symbiotes agree to an uneasy alliance. Toxin rushes them first and while he is certainly a powerhouse, it's not long before he starts getting ripped to shreds. It's a great moment as Flash watches and realizes he could literally do nothing and all of his problems with Brock would be over. But no, Flash is a better dude than that, and that's why I've grown to love him so much over the months. Eventually, Flash becomes Eddie's knight in slimy black armor.

All Toxin wanted was a kiss!
All Toxin wanted was a kiss!

They may be called symbiote slayers and look all kinds of fierce, but let's be real, not a whole lot is going to stop the combined forces of Toxin and Venom. As expected, the enemies are eventually ripped to pieces in a horrific fashion. And while it's something we've seen so many times before, it never truly gets old thanks to Declan Shalvey's art. I swear, Marvel created the man in a lab just so he could one day illustrate a Venom title and, you know what? It paid off because the dude can draw symbiotes like no other.

That's one mighty fine lookin' Venom.
That's one mighty fine lookin' Venom.

What makes things especially interesting is how this all wraps up. Prior to being Toxin's host, Eddie Brock was dead set on killing symbiotes. No matter how good the person was, Brock wanted them dead. He thinks no one can truly keep control as a host and is destined to do terrible things. Seeing as he's Venom's ex, it's only natural he holds the most hostility towards that specific symbiote. He's wanted to kill Venom and Flash this entire time, but witnessing Flash act as a hero and protect children when their lives were in danger gave the man an epiphany: maybe Flash can control it and help the city... at least for now. He basically let him off the hook, but says he'll be watching... and when Flash does lose it, he'll be there to put him down. Yes, it's a stark contrast to his mindset up until that point, but it's a change of heart that I really dig.

Do you think Brock uses gel to style his symbiote like that?
Do you think Brock uses gel to style his symbiote like that?

Besides, maybe this can open the door to a Toxin title? Assuming it's not rehashing Brock's old stories, of course.

Red Hood, Arsenal, Green Arrow & Starfire vs. Cheshire (RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS ANNUAL #1)

Cheshire stole the show in this issue. The lethal assassin has a complete makeover in the New 52, but so much more than her costume has been altered. Pre-Flashpoint, she was just very skilled and loved using poisons. Now, she can teleport. That's right, the scary and deadly assassin can now teleport. As you can imagine, this makes her a much bigger threat and she promptly humiliates both Roy and Ollie with zero difficulty.

Cheshirecrawler cannot be stopped! Or is it Nightcheshire?
Cheshirecrawler cannot be stopped! Or is it Nightcheshire?

Pre-Flashpoint this would be a pretty unfair fight. Sure, Cheshire's very good, but against the combined forces of Green Arrow, Arsenal andJason Todd? It would be game over, man. But now that she can hop around like Kurt Wagner and easily evade projectiles, the fight becomes totally one-sided. It's so easy for her that she essentially toys with them the entire time, both physically and verbally. Honestly, I thought her banter was the most entertaining part of the annual!

Desire to recover one's hat > toxin
Desire to recover one's hat > toxin

It's clear Cheshire's having fun messing around with the group, but soon enough she realizes she's here for a mission and gets her head back in the game. Thanks to her power, getting close and sinking her poison-laced nails into Roy's neck wasn't much of a hassle at all. While Ollie tries to help him, Cheshire sets her sights back on the real target: Jason Todd. Unfortunately, he doesn't put up much of a fight... like, at all. She defeats him just as easily as she did the others, but before she can go for a seemingly lethal strike, Starfire enters the fray and the the alien powerhouse tackles the assassin out of the base. She carries the villain over the ocean but Cheshire promptly blinds Kori and vanishes.

Welcome to the party, Jason.
Welcome to the party, Jason.

If they made Cheshire this formidable, I can only imagine how insanely dangerous Bronze Tiger will be in the upcoming issues.

Honorable Mentions

No Caption Provided

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ andTwitter pagein hopes of getting a new follower or two.

henrik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

GReat Venom fight

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By M3th

A Toxin title? You mean Superior Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider, and Venom aren't enough. We need another Anti-Hero Spider-Man related character to have a series.

doombot890

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes the Cheshire fight was a real treat. also the flirting between her and roy was that a nod to the Young Justice Cartoon or was it pre 52 cannon?

Also liked the little insight to roy and ollies past seeing that the break up might be Strange's fault also how old is ollie? and how old is roy for that matter?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

@doombot890: Most likely a nod to the pre 52 canon, where they had a kid together.

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Wow. I did not know Eddie Brock is Toxin. That's cool!

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

Oh man Raph was freaking raging

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

The way you summed up Brock's change of heart makes me feel a little better about it.

I still don't like it but... yeah.

Nice picks.

(Alsoholysh*tCasey)

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Alright Brock in those panels seems AWESOME! So much win there in my opinion!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@jonny_anonymous: haha and he had every right to!

Wow. I did not know Eddie Brock is Toxin. That's cool!

@henrik said:

GReat Venom fight

Alright Brock in those panels seems AWESOME! So much win there in my opinion!

Indeed it is!

yes the Cheshire fight was a real treat. also the flirting between her and roy was that a nod to the Young Justice Cartoon or was it pre 52 cannon?

Also liked the little insight to roy and ollies past seeing that the break up might be Strange's fault also how old is ollie? and how old is roy for that matter?

They had a relationship Pre-52, so it was poking fun at that.

The way you summed up Brock's change of heart makes me feel a little better about it.

I still don't like it but... yeah.

Nice picks.

(Alsoholysh*tCasey)

:D

@m3th said:

A Toxin title? You mean Superior Spider-Man, Scarlet Spider, and Venom aren't enough. We need another Anti-Hero Spider-Man related character to have a series.

With the right creative team and direction? Hell yes I'd be all for a Toxin title. Besides, it's not like anyone is forcing you to buy all of them.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Need to get a hold of this TMNT series. Looks like Shredder is awesome in it. I've been trying to find some decent Shredder scans, FOREVER!

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 k4tzm4n  Moderator

Need to get a hold of this TMNT series. Looks like Shredder is awesome in it. I've been trying to find some decent Shredder scans, FOREVER!

I made some scans of his big fight with the Turtles in Best Battles: 2012.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 vance_astro  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

@vance_astro said:

I made some scans of his big fight with the Turtles in Best Battles: 2012.

Thanks Dr.K4tz :)

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 owie  Moderator

Nice, I like the changes in Cheshire. The teleporting fits with her namesake.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 vance_astro  Moderator

@owie said:

How do you feel about the new costume?

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By owie  Moderator

@owie said:

I didn't read the issue, I'm just basing this off k4tz' article here, but it looks pretty similar to the old one, isn't it? What do you think?

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#16  Edited By Saren

Aw, you left out the best part of the Cheshire fight!

No Caption Provided

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@owie said:

@vance_astro said:

@owie said:

I didn't read the issue, I'm just basing this off k4tz' article here, but it looks pretty similar to the old one, isn't it? What do you think?

Oh, I thought you maybe saw the article that came out on CV when they first decided to redesign the costume..here it is in full below >

No Caption Provided

I think it's pretty cool.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 owie  Moderator

@owie said:

@vance_astro said:

@owie said:

Oh, I thought you maybe saw the article that came out on CV when they first decided to redesign the costume..here it is in full below >

No Caption Provided

I think it's pretty cool.

Oh, you're right, I did see that too. Yeah, it has some nice updates in the details actually, without being a total overhaul. I like the straps/throwing darts in the midriff.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 vance_astro  Moderator

@owie said:

Oh, you're right, I did see that too. Yeah, it has some nice updates in the details actually, without being a total overhaul. I like the straps/throwing darts in the midriff.

Yea, that was a pretty cool idea.

Sideslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sideslash

Is it just me, or does Shredder look like he's stabpunching Casey in the nuts?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Mr_Lowrii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cheshire Vs The Outlaws...

DCWarFan73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

Can't wait to read Cap #7 and see him go against Jet.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why the hell does Roy have a baseball hat as part of his costume? It doesn't even go together. Makes the domino mask look less ridiculous and thats saying something.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@vance_astro: Man, if you're going to compare costumes, at least try to use a Pre-Flashpoint image that doesn't look totally lame. She looks like she's freaking out at a rave!

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

The TMNT one was awesome! I should really keep up with the series!

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@k4tzm4n said:

@vance_astro: Man, if you're going to compare costumes, at least try to use a Pre-Flashpoint image that doesn't look totally lame. She looks like she's freaking out at a rave!

I wasn't comparing costumes. I actually like Cheshire's old costume. The image I took off a google was connected like that.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Venom series looks awesome, definitely geting the series if comixology has a sale.

RHAO looks, disappointing.. GA and Arsenal getting there butts kicked. I thought they knew how to fight without their bows. I haven't read the issue.

TMNT was awesome, I really hope Casey doesn't die...

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@ccraft said:

RHAO looks, disappointing.. GA and Arsenal getting there butts kicked. I thought they knew how to fight without their bows. I haven't read the issue.

Cheshire is a good martial artist. Probably more skilled than Arsenal & GA, and if you add the fact that she can teleport now, that makes her alot more dangerous. I didn't read the issue either, I'm just speculating.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: Me too, i wonder how they explain GA and Arsenal team up.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 vance_astro  Moderator

@ccraft said:

@vance_astro: Me too, i wonder how they explain GA and Arsenal team up.

Have you been reading RHAO, but you're just a few issues behind? Or are you reading GA?

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: I'm reading neither, I actually dropped a lot of DC books to try other company comics.

I might get GA if comixology ever has a sale on it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 vance_astro  Moderator

@ccraft said:

@vance_astro: I'm reading neither, I actually dropped a lot of DC books to try other company comics.

New 52 turned you off?

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 k4tzm4n  Moderator

@ccraft said:

What's the max number of books you're looking to pull from DC? Because IMHO Green Arrow should be one of 'em.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vance_astro: Its hard to explain, maybe its just DC doesn't really interest me unless it's Batman or JL. I was going to try AC but the editors had to run off Diggle and Tony... Instead of try different DC titles I thought it would be better to try new characters. And once I started looking, I've found tons of other comics that would interest me. I made a Collect Later list for comics I'm interested in, but the DC thats in the list was on my Pull list. I really need to look into Marvel they seem to have some really good titles.

Dynamite is the most recent that I've become interested in. But I have yet to read any about these characters.

Dynamite Comics

Valiant Comics

IDW Comics

http://www.comicvine.com/profile/ccraft/lists/

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By ccraft

@k4tzm4n: I really need to set a fixed budget... atm I'm spending around $24 most on my pull is $4

So I might make my budget around $30, I'll try out GA soon, I liked that recent villain GA faced. He was on one of these Best Battles.

M3th

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@k4tzm4n: Now I'm interested. What direction do you think they should take with Toxin?

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 vance_astro  Moderator

@ccraft said:

@vance_astro: Its hard to explain, maybe its just DC doesn't really interest me unless it's Batman or JL. I was going to try AC but the editors had to run off Diggle and Tony... Instead of try different DC titles I thought it would be better to try new characters. And once I started looking, I've found tons of other comics that would interest me. I made a Collect Later list for comics I'm interested in, but the DC thats in the list was on my Pull list. I really need to look into Marvel they seem to have some really good titles.

I know how you feel. That used to be my thoughts on DC just with instead of just Batman or JL there was also Wonder Woman. I find that with the New 52, I read their more obscure stuff now. I'm way behind on Batman, I don't read Wonder Woman anymore, I read very little of the Flash and I have yet to read JL after New 52 and I don't read the new JLA or JLA Dark books. I was reading JLI for a minute though. I was always more of a Marvel, occasionally Dynamite,IDW,or Image will make their way into my pull list month to month.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What is Ollie's relationship with Roy in the New52 anyway cause I remember in issue 18 that fat kid mentioning something about it but thats about it?

Kid_Nacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Kid_Nacho

@ccraft said:

Cheshire is a good martial artist. Probably more skilled than Arsenal & GA, and if you add the fact that she can teleport now, that makes her alot more dangerous. I didn't read the issue either, I'm just speculating.

That's a pretty spot on analysis. Fighting and killing is her bread and butter. It's what she was bred to do, whereas Arsenal & GA aren't at the same level in regards to hand to hand combat as an assassin. Plus in the issue, they were completely and utterly blindsided by her showing up, with Roy distracted due to worry about Starfire, GA and Jason. When you combine the teleportation/intangible thing with all that, they just never really stood a chance

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

@kid_nacho said:

That's a pretty spot on analysis.

Avatar image for mightyrearranger
mightyrearranger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

Seems like Cheshire got the best redesign in the New 52. Good for her. :)

batarang614

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really like Cheshire's upgrade, and the Venom fight was great too, especially that the artist has so much leeway in changing the looks of Toxin and Venom mid-fight. Very Entertaining.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Poor Casey. He gets picked so much and now stabbed!

RazielWraith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 8

#47  Edited By RazielWraith

When it comes to Casey Jones

• I will always prefer the Casey Jones from the Mirage comics (he kicked the Shredder in the stomach).
  • The 1987 series (he fought Rocksteady, the Shredder and Krang all in one episode).
  • The 1990 film (he kicked the foot's ass like they were nothing).
  • The 2011 fan film (same thing as the 90s film).

This 2011 comic book version of Casey Jones is just as weak, useless and clichéd as the 2003 cartoon version.