• 99 results
k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Welcome back to 'This Week's Best Battles.' As your wallet likely already knows, this was a huge week for comics and within the pages of these countless comics are some truly terrific fights. Narrowing it down to three was a real pain this week and, as you'll see, the honorable mentions section is fully stocked.

Did your favorite melee not get a mention? Well, it's possible we didn't read that issue, so be sure to make suggestions in the official Best Battles Discussion Thread from now on. We review that before writing this weekly feature and do our best to get our hands on the issues suggested!

Batman vs. Superman (BATMAN/SUPERMAN #1)

Ah, the age old debate of Batman versus Superman. Sure, you can dispute that Batman could take down Clark with enough prep and if Clark is holding back enough and blah, blah, blah. Look, throw away personal preference and it's clear who's going to walk away after a majority of encounters between these two. It seems obvious Greg Pak understands that and presents it quite well as the two meet for the "first time" in New 52 history. What makes it particularly great is seeing the thoughts from both sides of the fight. Batman knows there's a thousand ways Superman can take him down. And Superman? It turns out he's thinking the exact same thing. However, Batman does manage to surprise him and knocks him out of the building with an explosive. Wayne hopes his enemy can't fly, but yeah, we know the answer to that one.

Jae Lee's art > your art.
Jae Lee's art > your art.

Seeing as I want to keep this mostly spoiler-free, talking about the rest will be a little tricky. Let's just say the two are about to clash and then we're teleported to a farm in Smallville. Clark spots Batman and rushes to engage him -- except this isn't the same Batman he was just facing. This version of the Dark Knight already knows who Superman is and activates a kryptonite shield. As expected, the shield weakens Clark and Bruce attempts to reason with him. Despite Bruce clearly not trying to pose a threat, the Man of Steel grabs the kryptonite with his bare hands and tosses it aside, disabling the shield. The Caped Crusader remarks that Clark is weakened... and how does Superman respond? With his fists, of course. Because why not totally bash the guy who's trying to talk with you? All kidding aside, it's a really cool sequence.

Okay, Ben Oliver's art is quite awesome as well.
Okay, Ben Oliver's art is quite awesome as well.

Weakened or not, Superman isn't holding back and he absolutely demolishes this version of Bats. After a slug to the face and a fist to the gut, Clark holds Wayne down, only to punch him yet again and send him flying. Kal-El then grabs Wayne by the throat, but something -- or someone -- makes him to let go. Who or what, though? Like I said, I'm not going to spoil it! Besides, this issue was pretty enjoyable, so it's worthy of your cash if you're curious.

LOOK AWAY, BATMAN FANS! LOOK AWAY!
LOOK AWAY, BATMAN FANS! LOOK AWAY!

As for why we jumped from Metropolis to Smallville... well, I suppose you'll have to read the next issue to find out.

Scarlet Spider & Wolverine vs. Assassins Guild (SCARLET SPIDER #19)

Think of the most awesome street level duo possible. Go on, I'll give you a few seconds.

Was your answer Scarlet Spider and Wolverine? If so, you got it right! If not, hopefully this scene will convince you otherwise.

Upon realizing Kaine isn't really his enemy, Wolverine agrees to team-up with him and bring the fight to the Assassins Guild. The two engage in some really enjoyable banter, but what comes next is really badass. You know how some video games have ridiculously fun stealth sequences and you have to silently take out various enemies? That's exactly what happens here and it's fantastic.

After seeing that neck snap, Wolverine's claws seem like the merciful option.
After seeing that neck snap, Wolverine's claws seem like the merciful option.

Eventually, the duo is heard and now it's time to see why they're equally fearsome in a head-on assault. We're treated to a magnificent splash page (don't worry, it's provided below!) of the two completely dominating the group of enemies. Believe it or not, the best part isn't the slicing and dicing -- it's a caption from Kaine. According to Spidey's clone, Wolverine's an "angry midget ninja."

GLORIOUS!
GLORIOUS!

It's not long before the clone and the X-Man get into a throwdown with the more dangerous members of the Assassins Guild. While they do pose a threat at first, they're taken out one by one in due time. Plus, we get some adorable teamwork from the duo. First, Kaine saves Wolverine from an explosive and then Logan returns the favor by removing the speedster Harvester from the fight. Marvel, you really need to consider a team-up book featuring these two anti-heroes.

Don't you love it when he spews one-liners instead of
Don't you love it when he spews one-liners instead of "GGGGRRRRRRRR!"

I'd explain what happens next, but it would sound all kinds of ridiculous without reading the issue. So, do yourself a favor and read it, because honestly, SCARLET SPIDER is a seriously good title.

Superman vs. Kalibak & Parademons (INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US #24)

Kalibak, you goofed big time, man. Darkseid's son thought he could stroll on over to Earth with a massive force of Parademons and start slaughtering innocents across the globe. I guess he never got the memo that this version of Superman has begun taking more extreme measures to protect people, so murdering millions and then mocking him about it? Not exactly the brightest idea ever. Superman realizes he can only stop the madness if he doesn't hold back and that's exactly what goes down. A brutal uppercut from Kalibak doesn't even make him move an inch. This is 100% serious business Superman, people.

SUPERMAN IS NOT AMUSED!
SUPERMAN IS NOT AMUSED!

After being threatened by Clark, Kalibak promptly reminds him about who his father is. What happens next is more powerful than any punch... Clark basically calls him a daddy's boy. Outraged, Kalibak tries to punch him, but Clark effortlessly grabs the villain's massive fist and cracks it. As if that wasn't humiliating enough, Superman then savagely beats the cosmic villain and eventually smashes his head into the ground. There's unfair fights and then there's this.

WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T LIKE 'MAN OF STEEL?'
WHAT DO YOU MEAN YOU DIDN'T LIKE 'MAN OF STEEL?'

One big bad down, an entire army of Parademons to go. Clark finally realized by focusing on not killing his enemies, he's actually letting more and more innocent people die. Why care more about the well-being of his enemies than those he's trying to save? So, he decided to change this. The Man of Steel flies above the Earth, pauses for a moment, and then comes crashing back down. In one fell swoop, Clark zooms around the world, blasting apart every single enemy along the way.

Hooray for Parademon confetti! It's raining victory!
Hooray for Parademon confetti! It's raining victory!

This was a huge moment for Superman. Prior to this, he was taking more drastic measures in enforcing the peace, but he only crossed the line with Joker. Now, he apparently thinks killing is okay as long as it's for the greater good. And seeing as everyone cheers for him in the end, I imagine he's now firmly on the path that leads us to the super evil version we saw in the video game.

RUN WHILE YOU STILL HAVE THE CHANCE, SHAZAM!

Honorable Mentions

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

That Jae Lee art.. Wow! Just wow!

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Miss_Garrick

According to Spidey's clone, Wolverine's an "angry midget ninja."

What? Wolverine isn't a midget! I'm not sure what the official size definition is but Logan is very probably a foot above the limit. Besides, it's a dumb and demeaning word anyway and shouldn't be used.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By spinningbirdcake

Ben Oliver doing the last few pages was none too shabby himself.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@k4tzm4n Shoulda went with Lazarus #1 my man.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Wow I have so many people saying that Ben Oliver should've done the interiors more than Jae Lee and I can see why. Still, I think Lee owned on those panels and that art is superior! The favorites this week DEFINITELY go to Batman and Superman and Superman and Kalibak!

marvelman2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

damn it now you got me really curious about that batman vs superman -.-

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#7 god_spawn  Moderator

@miss_garrick: Based on handbooks, Wolverine's height is said to be 5'3. But the artists haven't been consistent with that for awhile since they scale him up to around 5'7-5'10, depending on who does the art. But artists are never consistent with that. Cyclops has been said to be 6'1 in some collector handbooks, but in the official Marvel ones he is 6'3, but has consistently been portrayed only slightly taller than the likes of Emma Frost (5'10), and just a tad shorter than Cap and Magneto whom are both 6'2. So like I said, depends on the artist scaling and where they may get their info.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

Well at least this thread solves the age old question about Superman vs Batman(!) That Scarlet Spider and Wolverine team up was pretty badass I have to say. Love the first two picks Gregg!

TheShutup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By TheShutup

@savagedragon:

Lazarus #1 was AWESOME! and Rucka is going to set up an epic..but i mean Forever's fight with the 3 guys wasn't exactly a TOP FIGHT of the week lol

It's more a story driven comic than actual action.

But im sure the action will come, Rucka did say he wants this story to last years.

I always shell out what i can for a Rucka story and this one has my full attention away form any current comic

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By Trevel8182

This is Beautiful!

No Caption Provided

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger: Greg pak is just a batman hater, pshhh superman picking up kryptonite, might as well eat it like s.a. Supes

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bear with me people I've read Superman Batman while I was tired so I wasn't sure if established timelines were made but given what I've read with the description of their fight is it possible that the Superman that was transported from Metropolis to Smallville will become the New 52 Bizzaro. I mean obviously his mental capacity will deteriorate to fit the character but it makes sense considering the villain month cover featuring him wears the same costume.

Could that spirit possessing Catwoman used some sort of power to somewhat take the whole essence of Superman during that encounter when he was in a state of aggressiveness as a base subject of a clone one where he was equal parts headstrong and equal parts angry (given he thought at the time Batman was a murderer).

Or am I just overthinking this?

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#13  Edited By DonFelipe

Oliver's fight looks even better than Lee's imho - perfect colors and lines!

Black_Claw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 48

Greg Pak is now one of my new favorite writers.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

#15  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Injustice Superman = Man of Steel Superman

Kain Parker >>> Peter Parker

Just sayin

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cap10nate

X-O Manowar's fight was my favorite this week.

entropy_aegis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

Superman wankery is getting strong these days,and no I'm not talking about Batman/Superman.That fight with Kalibak is absolutely ridiculous,I have no problem believing that Superman can own Kalibak using his speed and smarts but to take a a hit like that and proceed to pummel him? like I said ridiculous.

There's a reason why us New Gods fans want these characters to be kept as far as possible from Superman.Kalibak has jobbed so much that beating him isn't even impressive anymore.

Beserkerfury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Greg Pak is a superman fanboy.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Superman wankery is getting strong these days,and no I'm not talking about Batman/Superman.That fight with Kalibak is absolutely ridiculous,I have no problem believing that Superman can own Kalibak using his speed and smarts but to take a a hit like that and proceed to pummel him? like I said ridiculous.

There's a reason why us New Gods fans want these characters to be kept as far as possible from Superman.Kalibak has jobbed so much that beating him isn't even impressive anymore.

TBF Injustice is non-cannon

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By lilben42

@russellmania77: I'm not understanding why he can't pick up kryptonite and throw it away.

lilben42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jonny_anonymous: Eh Injusice Superman killed out of revenge while MoS Superman killed for the greater good of mankind.

Dogofwarorion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Bane vs. a guard"

Lol it was more of a massacre than a fight.

PopRock123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By PopRock123

Why are some Batman fans mad earth 2 Batman was clearly holding back because he was trying to reason with Clark.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Wolverine008

I love Scarlet Spider #18's fight! Wolverine showed why he is one of the best fighters in the world, and Kaine showed of his tenacity. I wish Kaine became the official Spider Man.

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poprock123: Yeah I'm a big Batman fan and I didn't take any issue with this, Batman didn't seem to have any intent on hurting Clark.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just sayin

LOL no

Avatar image for cloudzackvincent
cloudzackvincent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By cloudzackvincent

although i like superman/batman i was confused about many many things, but with all the costume changes i think there is something bigger at play here...so i'll wait for the next issue

Barkley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Barkley

Why do people think Batman can beat Superman just because he is cool?....newsflash...Superman doesn't care that he is Batman....not even a little the man has fought ...gods.....Bruce is lucky that they became friends.....jae art is simply amazing....I give Batman respect for trying

Overlander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

I was surprised there wasn't an honorable mention for X-Men vs Omega Sentinel vs Jean Grey School in X-Men #2

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

These Bat vs. Supes fights are extremely stupid.

Lamenoire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

E2 Superman is E2 batman best friend. And he doesn't know it is not his superman, but a superman who was thinking he as protecting people from a villain disguised as a Bat...
He held back and used a Kryptonite shield. but this shield was calibrated for E2 Superman power level. When he saw there was a problem, he proceded to desactivate it. but Superman grabed the kryptonite and hurled it away

I don't see why it is ridiculous. My only problem is with continuity... but then again I am a comics reader so I am used to it and I try to enjoy this story

dondave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thoroughly enjoyed the fight with Btaman and Superman but Ben Oliver's art was better for this book than Jae Lee's

Avatar image for deactivated-60ae841330527
deactivated-60ae841330527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This whole BM vs SM sequence was retarded! SM is not that much of a hot-head!

MeloDet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnnygat: I think you're just overthinking it. We already know that this takes place in the past and that Superman originally did wear that costume when he was starting out.

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it Scarlet Spider #18 or #19?

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@lamenoire: I agree. And also Superman should beat Batman during most spare of the moment fights. I believe Bruce could stop Clark with a few years prep. Because unlike Bruce, Superman won't be watching his every move. Superman could easily spy on everyone else, but does not. And that would be his downfall against Batman. I have no doubt that Batman has been planning something since this fight.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Looks like Wolverine is fighting "Nobody" from Batman & Robin.

reignmaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

These s-man vs. b-man fights are getting boring.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Just sayin

fixed your comment haha

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@barkley said:

Why do people think Batman can beat Superman just because he is cool?....newsflash...Superman doesn't care that he is Batman....not even a little the man has fought ...gods.....Bruce is lucky that they became friends.....jae art is simply amazing....I give Batman respect for trying

agreed, I was worried that this title would have Batman winning all the time, luckily the fight was some what in Superman's favor, even though it was almost a tie.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't understand why people still think Batman could beat Superman. He couldn't. Ever, and he never has. People point to things like the Dark Knight Returns, where Batman, using all his tech, planning, and cleverness, managed to bust a severely weakened Superman's lip before keeling over dead. In Red Son he had Superman trapped for like four minutes before blowing himself up to escape, in Hush he had to run his little bat-butt away for as long as possible as Supes fought mind-control and then had to try to kill an innocent woman to buy himself time to stop Superman.

Batman cannot beat Superman dudes, just accept it. It doesn't make him less of a character, he's just a human, Superman is one of the most powerful characters in all of fiction.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By CODYSF

@the_vein:

Baman fanboys are the most delusional fans out there

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I honestly thought that fight was kinda out of character for Superman, like that Batman was trying to offer him help and he responds by beating the crap out of him?

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman vs the Mad Hatter wasn't too bad either....

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

How could you not have the XO Manowar final battle with the vine? ...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the_stegman  Moderator

To those who say that Superman was out of character for attacking Batman who was trying to help him I think that this is the early Superman so he was more of a hot head, plus he could be possessed by the same thing that possessed Cat Woman

kid Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By kid Apollo

can you imagine being in that last panel as blood and guts and parademon parts rain all over you?

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 107

#49  Edited By StMichalofWilson

@k4tzm4n: Um, a bit too late on that one...

Oh Billy...
ximpossibrux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ximpossibrux

"Oh my god guys look Superman owns Batman!!"

Well what the hell do you think? A human vs a superpowered invulnerable alien, why would you think it would happen any differently? It make no sense.