Posted by k4tzm4n (44255 posts) - - Show Bio

It's mighty morphin' Best Battles time! As always, we review all of the action packed madness in this week's new comics and picked three we thought are worth highlighting. It wasn't an easy choice this week, but ultimately we really dug the sweet looking sci-fi brawl in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY, the brutality in VENOM, and the magnificent art and dark content in SUICIDE SQUAD.

Did your favorite battle not get a mention? Well, it's possible we didn't read that issue, so be sure to make suggestions in the official Best Battles Discussion Thread from now on. We review that before writing this weekly feature and do our best to get our hands on the issues suggested!

GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY VS. SPARTAX TROOPS

The Guardians of the Galaxy are being held captive... well, all of them except for Groot! The alien has now had plenty of time to recover after being reduced to the size of a small stick, and now he's large and quite pissed off at the Spartax troops for incarcerating his friends. Prepare yourself for epic smashing.

Now imagine this on the big screen. Get here now, 2014.

After freeing his allies with his fists in a pretty hilarious short segment, the team gears up and prepares to take over the enemy ship. Yes, the enemies conveniently stock piled their weapons next to them and they even joke about it. After Rocket Raccoon takes a jab at Tony Stark for complaining about not having his armor, the team prepares to face their enemies. Once it goes down, everyone gets a panel showing how much fun they're having absolutely wrecking the troops.

He's happy on the inside, not on the outside.

As if Groot didn't already kick enough booty, we get another look at him ragdolling the opposing forces. Laser blast to the chest? No biggie. Meanwhile, Rocket Raccoon remains adorable and I did chuckle at his banter, but it's starting to get too repetitive as well. It was nice to see his final line was different, but I really hope the little dude switches it up more in the future. Otherwise, that could grow old really fast. Anyway, enjoy a look at some more chaos.

Rocket Raccoon makes murder so cute.

I don't know about you, but my fingers are crossed Drax will get more time in the spotlight. I know we're only 3 issues in, but I feel like the guy's role is quite limited compared to the rest of the team so far.

VENOM VS. LORD ORGE'S GOONS

Holy $#*& it's the Venom-mobile! Who said they could never market Venom toys to kids, right? This is easily the most disturbingly fantastic thing I witnessed in comics this week and I think it would haunt my dreams if I ever saw it in real life. Anyway, like Flash says on the page, you should never underestimate a dramatic entrance. Sure, he has the physicals to wipe the floor with them on his own, but why not make them pee themselves a little bit first?

Cars 3, starring the Venom-mobile.

What happens next is simply glorious and it's all thanks to Pepe Larraz's super awesome art. Yes, I adore Declan Shalvey's style, but Larraz's works veeeeeery well for the book, too. It's a little more cartoonish yet still manages to ooze a darker tone and makes Venom all kinds of fearsome. Plus, look at how fantastic the motion is behind Venom's vicious attacks.

Venom's favorite song while fighting? Threw it on the ground.

While the thugs are equipped with submachine guns, we know that's nothing Venom can't handle. It's a cake walk for the symbiotic hero as he dances around their bullets and then humiliates them without even breaking a sweat under that gooey armor. In fact, Venom does later get shot in the face, but as expected, he spits the bullet out and is perfectly fine.

Venom enjoys long walks on the beach, a relaxing jazz song and smashing heads through floors.

Why aren't you reading VENOM yet? I feel like the book receives way less discussion than it should here on the Vine. And if you are reading it, well... want to be friends?

DEADSHOT VS. UNKNOWN SOLDIER

Ales Kot and Patrick Zircher, I think I'm in love with you guys. As a long time Deadshot fan, this issue had me cheering like a mad man. Harley Quinn takes over Bell Reve and a mystery person let's her take control of the system. Who does she free first? Not Cheetah. Not King Shark. She releases Deadshot. Why? Because he's awesome, duh. He may not have pistols or his wrist guns on him, but in this issue he proves he doesn't need them to be dangerous. With just a few scalpels, Floyd shows off he can be accurate with anything.

I would never see Dr. Floyd Lawton for a physical. Never.

If you need more evidence Floyd can be scary accurate with things that aren't firearms, he went bullseye for bullseye with Green Arrow at a bar once (Deadshot's second volume). Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Despite being stabbed in the gut by Quinn, the Unknown Soldier grabs a weapon and heads out in hopes of restoring order. He encounters a seemingly unarmed Deadshot and keeps his sights on him. Much to our surprise, Floyd challenges him to hand-to-hand combat. Seeing as Floyd isn't exactly known for being a threat without a weapon, he agrees and slowly lowers his weapon. Naturally, this is a huge mistake.

I bet he cheats in board games, too.

Upon closing the gap, Floyd performs surprisingly well. He takes a kick to the gut but in the process he manages to disarm his target, too. Soldier then rocks his face with a palm punch, but Floyd apparently sees the bloody bandage and goes for the cruel yet effective strike against his wounded foe. And finally, he tops it off with a headbutt because... why not?

Deadshot's fighting skill: 8/7.

Also awesome in this issue: King Shark gnawing on a massive creature's achilles tendon. Oh, and everything else, because honestly, the entire issue was terrific.

Honorable Mentions

Staff
#1 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really see how the Guardians of the Galaxy battle is a battle, it's more like them kicking ass and the others can't do anything about it. But yeah, I don't have anything better, so who cares about my opinion?

#2 Posted by tikhunt (676 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving the GOTG my favorite team so far my only qualm is that Rocket has only shot one ridiculously huge gun in 3 issues.

#3 Edited by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't know how I always seem to miss the voting on this. I thought the GotG massacre was funny, but for me, the Thor fight was easily the best. Starsharks? Hits so hard they made wormholes? Throwing pieces of planets? Get outta here. I'm still hoping I see a Thor dual wielding Mjolnirs before the end of this thing.

#4 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33469 posts) - - Show Bio

Argh.... Iron Man......

#5 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

thor should have been a part of the main coarse >_<

#6 Posted by Hawkguy (571 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought Six-Gun Gorilla had some sweet panels on the last few pages

#7 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (936 posts) - - Show Bio

@themanintheshoe: shhhh.... i luv you.... jks brah. Anyways, you're right it wasn't really a battle, more of a groot massacre =D

#8 Posted by cameron83 (7345 posts) - - Show Bio

love GotG!

#9 Posted by The_Roman (3297 posts) - - Show Bio

@tikhunt said:

Loving the GOTG my favorite team so far my only qualm is that Rocket has only shot one ridiculously huge gun in 3 issues.

More dakka!

#10 Posted by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio

"...Bendis reduces Rocket Raccoon to a parody of Lobo at best and an unrecognizable character at worst. Yes, Rocket has a short temper and, yes, he's fond of ordnance, but to have him shouting out "Blam! Murdered you!" over and over takes it just a bit too far."

SO much this. How do you turn a fun character into a joke? Turn him into an overly aggressive Scrappy-Doo who is channeling your 11 year old brother playing Halo.

Fantastic art, but is that enough?

#11 Posted by longbowhunter (7098 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot vs. Unknown Soldier was my favorite part of Suicide Squad #21.

#12 Posted by CBninja (162 posts) - - Show Bio

How did Thor vs Gorr not make one of the main fights. It was awesome.

#13 Edited by Cap10nate (2300 posts) - - Show Bio

"...Bendis reduces Rocket Raccoon to a parody of Lobo at best and an unrecognizable character at worst. Yes, Rocket has a short temper and, yes, he's fond of ordnance, but to have him shouting out "Blam! Murdered you!" over and over takes it just a bit too far."

SO much this. How do you turn a fun character into a joke? Turn him into an overly aggressive Scrappy-Doo who is channeling your 11 year old brother playing Halo.

Fantastic art, but is that enough?

I agree with this. I used to love Rocket and GOTG, but the banter and characterizations are starting to make me consider dropping the title. The only characters who even resemble the characters they were pre-Thanos Imperative have been Groot and Drax, but Drax has only had about 2 speaking lines so who knows.

#14 Edited by bladewolf (761 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot vs. Unknown Soldier was my favorite part of Suicide Squad #21.

Definitely. The new creative team is EXACTLY what the book needed.

#15 Posted by jwalser3 (5027 posts) - - Show Bio

Those Spartax troops were getting slaughtered!

#16 Posted by Foxdye (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Venom is definitely one of my top 5 Marvel stories right now. If you haven't read it yet, you need to. Good stories, Flash trying to balance his life and keep control over Venom at the same time!!!! It is a series I hope reaches it's 100th mark.

#17 Posted by hamlet33 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot vs. Unknown Soldier was awesome! can't wait to see next week... especially what Superman does to Kalibak in Injustice. Great Choices.

#18 Posted by ptigrusmagus (491 posts) - - Show Bio

Anytime Thor vs Gorr it could top this list

#19 Posted by StMichalofWilson (3834 posts) - - Show Bio

@hamlet33 said:

Deadshot vs. Unknown Soldier was awesome! can't wait to see next week... especially what Superman does to Kalibak in Injustice. Great Choices.

This

#20 Posted by kid Apollo (714 posts) - - Show Bio

its nice to see the Guardians taking so much pleasure in killing a bunch of people...

#21 Posted by victorcheenoanleu (142 posts) - - Show Bio

I dropped Venom after the minimum carnage event because he seriously pissed me off during that but I'm considering picking it back up lol

#22 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckshot said:

Don't know how I always seem to miss the voting on this. I thought the GotG massacre was funny, but for me, the Thor fight was easily the best. Starsharks? Hits so hard they made wormholes? Throwing pieces of planets? Get outta here. I'm still hoping I see a Thor dual wielding Mjolnirs before the end of this thing.

This. thor was THE best battle

#23 Posted by Queso6p4 (1437 posts) - - Show Bio

@buckshot said:

This. thor was THE best battle

Heh. Agreed.

Nice picks again, Gregg.

#24 Posted by tweakedsynth (4 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm with everyone who thinks it's a travesty Thor battle wasn't included in the main article.

Best fight of the week. One of the best fights, period. Brilliant artwork, grandiose, and narration.

#25 Posted by MuyJingo (1769 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the Batman and Superman titles this week had decent battles. Batman vs Red Hood gang and Superman vs...space trash?

#26 Edited by ccraft (5279 posts) - - Show Bio

Venom looking awesome like always, need to get that series.

Suicide Squad looks like it finally improved.

#27 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot v. Unknown Soldier I liked best...that was pretty intense since the fight seemed almost entirely evenly matched. Good stuff!

#28 Edited by ravisher (691 posts) - - Show Bio

wow deadshot can fight and throw stuff like bullseye

#29 Posted by Praetor_fenix (222 posts) - - Show Bio

Thor vs Gorr should have been #1 in any Best battles list it was just poetry in the simplicity and each Thor has his own brand of awesome Old Thor has the all power Avenger Thor is just awesome and Young Thor rides freaking space sharks to battle. Seriously pick Thor: God of Thunder # 09.

#30 Posted by Guardiandevil83 (5618 posts) - - Show Bio

@ravisher: I think hand to hand if these two met in a crossover. Bullseye would take it. I say this because Unknown Soldier was not at a 100% and managed to tag Floyd. I mean unless he is that good. Lol

#31 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (6917 posts) - - Show Bio

Venom has awesome Battles!

#32 Posted by SoA (4838 posts) - - Show Bio

i liked the honorable mentions over venom-mobile.

#33 Posted by Eivion (88 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no excuse for Thors vs. Gorr not making it. Deadshot vs. Unknown Soldier was nice, but nowhere near the same level.

#34 Edited by LordRequiem (1315 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadshot is such a lame character.

#35 Posted by Colmillo_Senpai (17 posts) - - Show Bio

Thors vs Gorr 4 me the best