Posted by k4tzm4n (36113 posts) - - Show Bio

There was a decent amount of action to appreciate this week (as you'll see in the honorable mentions section), but in the end it was DC's BATGIRL, Image's THE LEGEND OF LUTHER STRODE and Valiant's X-O MANOWAR which stood out the most to me. Better luck next week, Marvel!

Just a heads up to the feint of heart: there is a fair amount of blood in this edition!

Batgirl vs. The Ventriloquist / Police

Writer Gail Simone introduces an all-new version of The Ventriloquist to The New 52, and I have to admit, this reboot is fairly chilling. After getting kicked off a talent show audition, the villain takes one of the judges hostage and it's of course up to Batgirl to save the day. She's still reeling from her encounter with her brother, so when it comes to using a batarang again, let's just say her toss is less than ideal (eyes closed!). What makes it even more embarrassing is the fact the villain sends it flying right back her way and her own weapon knocks her over. It's definitely not one of Barbara's finer moments.

I can only imagine what Damian would say if he was there. Well, now I'm sad.

This is where things get especially interesting. Before our hero can get up, the dummy then leaps at her and attempts to stab her all on his/its own. So, has Shuana Belzer developed the ability to control everything around her... or does the power actually lie within the "dummy?"

That's one classy villain.

I'm sure all will be revealed in due time about the bad guy, but for now, Barbara has other problems to worry about. The most immediate one happens to be security guards who are under the impression she's the enemy. Despite trying to point them in the right direction, they continue to attack. It's too bad for them because she has no problem when it comes to promptly smacking them around. A few moves later and they're down for the count.

I tip my hat to anyone brave enough to be a security guard in Gotham City.

Do you think Shuana has the abilities or is it the dummy who's truly pulling the strings? Based on the trashy pick up lines, I'm leaning towards the latter. What say you, Viners?

Binder vs. Mr. Duvall, Jack the Ripper

When it comes to Luther Strode's world, the enhanced characters aren't to be messed with and Binder's of one 'em. Mr. Duvall, on the other hand, doesn't give a damn about his own well-being and wants Binder dead. Despite his target being blind (thanks to knives to the eyes in the previous issue), Binder's still more than capable of kicking all kinds of rear.

This is my boomstick!

The shotgun blast goes virtually unfelt and Binder proceeds to humiliate Duvall. The powerful Binder sends him smashing into the kitchen, and he's seemingly defeated at this point. Well, it turns out this is all part of Duvall's plan. He realizes his firearms won't do much, but maybe two propane tanks will. "Race you to hell, fatass."

Way to go out like a boss, man.

Naturally, the gunshot sets off an explosion that would be more than deserving of a "MICHAEL BAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY'D" caption, but I simply had to highlight what happens after the big boom. You see, the stubborn old Binder survives the explosion. He's in terrible condition, though, and that gives Jack the perfect opportunity to unleash some revenge. Prepare to see why I love Jack.

FA-FREAKING-TALITY!

What happens after those speedy slices... well, it's quite over the top. So if you want to see the horrific aftermath of that attack, go buy the issue.

X-O Manowar vs. The Vine

I know it's a total shocker, but a scene from a story called "Planet Death" has made Best Battles. Crazy, I know. Aric's bloodlusted assault against the Vine and bloodlust continues, and, as expected, he has the chance to once again slash and blast the extraterrestrials into a bunch of pieces. And it's all for our viewing pleasure. How kind!

This week in X-O MANOWAR: YAH! PAFF!

As always, X-O's enemies have little to no chance when he's in the advanced armor. It's clearly capable of so much, yet with Aric's mentality, wrist blasters and an energy sword will more than suffice. I can't imagine how awesome the X-O armor would be if it was on someone skilled and versatile like Ninjak. Seriously, go on and imagine how terrifically badass it would be. In the meantime, enjoy Aric slicing, blasting, and... well, squishing.

My brain can't handle the overload of awesome sound effects.

I don't know how writer Robert Venditti does it, but Aric going to town on his enemies never manages to get old. It's something we've seen plenty of times before, but somehow it's thrilling every single time. It's just sci-fi fun at its finest, people. Are you reading this book yet? If you said yes, cool. If not, then why not? WHY NOT?

SH-BOOM, y'all.

"Gregg, I can't afford another $3.99 title!"

Well, you're in luck, random person. ComiXology currently has a sale and each issue is only $0.99. So yeah, take advantage of that and catch up!

Honorable Mentions

What are your top 3 fights this week? Go give the comments section a piece of your mind!

Gregg Katzman is a freelance writer for Comic Vine and IGN Entertainment. This is the part where he shamelessly plugs his Google+ and Twitter page in hopes of getting a new follower or two.

Staff
#1 Posted by Outside_85 (8009 posts) - - Show Bio

WW vs Moon?

#2 Posted by thenexusrebound (239 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Batgirl vs Starling was pretty awesome.

#3 Edited by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

Nova vs. Titus (times 2) - perhaps not a real "battle" and more of a confrontation but still pretty cool and funny nonetheless. Of course you can't go wrong with fight scenes from X-O and Luther Strode.

#4 Posted by ravisher (665 posts) - - Show Bio

more

#5 Posted by deadpool25mm (575 posts) - - Show Bio

OMG no Michael Bay KABOOM? :) Batgirls fight was cool from the looks of it.

#6 Posted by Jake Fury (18059 posts) - - Show Bio
#7 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2217 posts) - - Show Bio

THe hell? How could you NOT include Wonder Woman vs. Artemis, not even in honorable mentions!? That was EPIC.

#8 Posted by hamlet33 (75 posts) - - Show Bio

No Batgirl VS Starling? really? oh well.

#9 Edited by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

SH-BOOM!

Sold.

#10 Posted by detective38 (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Batgirls action was good but not as epic as the last issue

#11 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

That ventriloquist fight doesn't look good, but it sure as heck makes up for it in interest. That is probably one of the best re-designes of the new 52. Unlike that Queen Bee appearing on the cover for superman 22. The old black and yellow stripe design was way more stylish. I would like to post a pic but I can't do a darn thing from a web phone. Sorry, I had to put that out there.

#12 Posted by Kid_Nacho (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Been curious about Luthor Strode ever since the piece on here some time ago, and that fight has me salivating because it looks all kinds of badass!!

#13 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Aric vs. The Vine for me. That's just epic, plain and simple.

#14 Posted by whiteknight67 (42 posts) - - Show Bio

I want Jennifer Blood in my corner anytime and anyplace.

#15 Posted by k4tzm4n (36113 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#16 Posted by dondave (33334 posts) - - Show Bio

Not Enough Bomb

#17 Posted by Queso6p4 (1429 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad there was still enough that came out this week to give you enough material to do this. Loved that Luther Strode fight and Jack reminds me of Doctor Jackal from Getbackers.

#18 Edited by KRYPTON (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

The new Ventriloquist is a douche bag

#19 Posted by Cavemold (1669 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved xo fight

#20 Posted by Zeeguy91 (1097 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey @k4tzm4n: I feel bad for not sending this to you before. Must have slipped my mind, but the fight between Wonder Woman and Artemis is Wonder Woman #20 probably outranks a bunch of the fights listed here. It is honestly one of the best fight scenes I've read in a comic book...ever.

#21 Posted by The Stegman (22710 posts) - - Show Bio
#22 Posted by SNascimento (438 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by JamesKM716 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

I read like six more issues and just didn't like it that much. So I'm officially giving up on it

#24 Posted by Batcrow (232 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

@jake_fury said:

@outside_85 said:

WW vs Moon?

This.

This

This

This. It was an AMAZING fight scene and completely blows a lot of these out of the water. I can not wrap my head over some of them getting a mention and not WW vs Moon. Most epic fight I've seen in a while.

#25 Posted by theOVOXO (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Wonder Woman vs Moon should have been on the list. It was a really good showcase that it's not only strength that wins the battle.

#26 Edited by k4tzm4n (36113 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_mighty_monarch: @snascimento: @the_stegman: @batcrow: @theovoxo: I clearly don't read every comic out there and Wonder Woman isn't on my pull list. That's exactly why I made THIS THREAD months ago and I bump it every single Wednesday. Instead of saying what should be in it when the feature lands, I'd appreciate the community's support in making suggestions before I write it. I'm not saying you have to, but it would be far more helpful for me, especially if you enjoy the segment. I used to plug this link in the feature for months, but I decided to stop. Maybe I should do it again?

Staff
#27 Posted by The Stegman (22710 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n: I was'nt mad or anything, like you said, you can't read everything, I just thought the WW fight was awesome. She took down the Moon AGAIN!

#28 Edited by k4tzm4n (36113 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Not accusing anyone of being mad. It's just a request for help if you enjoy the segment.

Staff
#29 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (7469 posts) - - Show Bio

These all look awesome.

I wish I had gotten one of these comics...

#30 Posted by Baberaham_Lincoln (921 posts) - - Show Bio

X-O manowar is currently my favourite comic... it's classicaly cool ^_^

#31 Posted by LifePool (135 posts) - - Show Bio

Batgirl fight is pretty cool.