#1 Posted by MasterAction (671 posts) - - Show Bio

As much as I like a great writer nothing beats the visual satisfaction of some truly beautiful art in a comic. Whether its McNiven's stunning work on Civil War, Romita Jr's modern throwback style on Kick-Ass or Tim Sale's noir renderings of Gotham in The Long Halloween I have had the pleasure of seeing some truly incredible art over the years. But how about you guys? What is the single best comic you've read in terms of art and who was the artist?

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6538 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterAction: It'll definitely be something by J.H. Williams. I'll have to get back to you on what single issue it'd be.

#3 Posted by Decoy Elite (29923 posts) - - Show Bio

Kingdom Come.

#4 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20443 posts) - - Show Bio

I really, really enjoyed Francis Manapul's artwork with Flash (Flashpoint, Secret Origins, etc.)

#5 Posted by TheCannon (19436 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by judasnixon (7195 posts) - - Show Bio

Gabriele Dell'Otto on X-Force; Sex and Violence.

#7 Posted by JohnnyGat (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

Ben Olivers work in Batwing

#8 Posted by Charetter115 (475 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyGat: Yes. Creepily good.

#9 Posted by JohnnyGat (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Charetter115 said:

@JohnnyGat: Yes. Creepily good.

I know right the art style really worked in retrospect the art worked in Massacre's favor

#10 Posted by KnightRise (4762 posts) - - Show Bio

Rob Liefeld on----- oh, God, I couldn't even finish typing that

Alex Ross on Kingdom Come and JUSTICE

Kenneth Rockafort on Red Hood & the Outlaws issue 3

Doug Manhke, Ivan Reis, and especially colorist Randy Mayor throughout Blackest Night

#11 Posted by AllStarSuperman (22980 posts) - - Show Bio

Gary Frank in brainiac, secret origin, and new 52 shazam (Amazing). Kenneth Rockford in RHATO and Supermen(Great). Eddy Barrows in new 52 nightwing (Great). Jim Lee and George Perez(good). And I actually like Rags Morales in action comics (a lot of people hate it).

I like john romita Jr in kick ass and captain america but hate it in AvsXmen and all team up books. I also like Frank Quitely in all-star Superman and batman and robin.

#12 Posted by lightsout (1836 posts) - - Show Bio

______ by Jim Lee

#13 Posted by spinningbirdcake (1430 posts) - - Show Bio

Alex Ross-Marvels

Oh my Lord. Favorite X-Men drawing ever.
#14 Posted by impossibilly (893 posts) - - Show Bio
#15 Posted by Charetter115 (475 posts) - - Show Bio

@JohnnyGat: I only read the first issue, the story wasn't as good as the art, and overall I prefer to stick with more classic characters.

#16 Edited by JohnnyGat (1578 posts) - - Show Bio

@Charetter115 said:

@JohnnyGat: I only read the first issue, the story wasn't as good as the art, and overall I prefer to stick with more classic characters.

I don't know which issue it was but there was one issue where Batwing in his non hero identity enters a room in his precint full of decapitated heads then Massacre stabs him in the back with a Machete. That was some ridiculously creepy good art. Emphasis on it being creepy.

#17 Edited by Teerack (7435 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny X-Force 01-18 vol. 1

And besides the fact that the art it's self is beautiful the actual images and panels had amazing cinematography(not sure if there is a word that means the same thing fro comics :P )

#18 Posted by judasnixon (7195 posts) - - Show Bio
@Teerack: Ha Ha Ha Ha Oh $#!% I forgot all about the Orange Hulk with the jersey shore hair......
#19 Posted by roboadmiral (553 posts) - - Show Bio

Regardless of the problems with the writing, All-Star Batman & Robin has got to be Jim Lee's best work.

#20 Edited by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't choose only one..

• The current JLD/Nightwing art is eye candy.
  • Arkham Asylum: A Serious House on a Serious Earth art is disturbing as hell.
  • Thor: For Asgard art is awesome.

There's more, but it's 2:00 A.M and I can barely remember my name.

#21 Posted by JamesKM716 (1995 posts) - - Show Bio

Most Anything by Jerome Opena, Alex Ross, also Batman and Robin's Death of the Family tie-in had better art than the main Batman series.

#22 Posted by z1co80 (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Gabriele Del Otto - Secret War

#23 Posted by Dragonborn_CT (23844 posts) - - Show Bio

@z1co80 said:

Gabriele Del Otto - Secret War

This so very much.

#24 Posted by turoksonofstone (12901 posts) - - Show Bio

Charles Vess or Alex Ross or Todd Mcfarlane..

#25 Edited by Humanoid (132 posts) - - Show Bio

That's currently running? Frank Manapul on Flash and Mike Mignola on Hellboy. Also whoever is doing Thor: God of Asgard atm.

Opera was amazing on the few Uncanny X-Force issues he did and Alex Ross is obviously great.

#26 Posted by CampodelViolin (168 posts) - - Show Bio

Alex Ross - Kingdom Come, Marvels.

Dave Mckean - Batman Arkham Asylum - Hellblazer 27 Hold Me.

Frank Quitely - We3.

Doug Mahnke - Justice Leage... I can´t pick just one.

Juan Giménez - Metabarons.

#27 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

@Teerack said:

Uncanny X-Force 01-18 vol. 1

And besides the fact that the art it's self is beautiful the actual images and panels had amazing cinematography(not sure if there is a word that means the same thing fro comics :P )

Jerome Opena, seconded. His work is just...well, perfect. Also, anything Amanda Conner related, and Cheung, Lee, Turner...just too many :(

#28 Edited by Teerack (7435 posts) - - Show Bio

I take back my last post. The first 11 issues of Red Hood and the Outlaws is the prettiest thing I've ever seen. Kenneth Rocafort is a god damn master piece maker.

#29 Posted by WonderHunter (121 posts) - - Show Bio

Anything by J.H. Williams III or Mico Suayan it's my definition of mindblowing. I'm also a huge lover of the art of 80's. That's George Pérez fault. And 70's. And 60's... -sighs-

#30 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2104 posts) - - Show Bio

Don;'t have time for scans..but going "old school"..(Not that the old stuff was any better/worse than newer stuff, but you've seen good samplings of newer stuff)

Keith Giffen's Legion of Superheroes run (Great Darkness Saga) before he started drawing everyone with weird face angles.

Neal Adams on both Batman and Green Lantern

Marshall Rogers/Terry Austin in Detective. (Still my favorite Batman rendition to date. Better than Capullo, Finch, Quietly, Ross,Lee better than all of them.)

Davis Mazzucelli (sp?) on Daredevil, "Born Again"

Brian Bolland in "The Killing Joke."

More recently, Am reading a Waid/Kitson story from 2003 called "Empire"..and am loving Kitson's work there.

#31 Posted by Xwraith (21464 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Opena's art in UXF. Harvey Tolibao's work in the Psylocke miniseries is also a favorite.

#32 Edited by judasnixon (7195 posts) - - Show Bio
Madman Atomic Comics #3. It was Mike Allred's love letter to some of the greatest artist in comics and other amazing illustrators threw out history.....
#33 Posted by Billy Batson (58319 posts) - - Show Bio

Eduardo Risso and Brendan McCarthy.
Oh how I love McCarthy's acid trips.
BB

#34 Posted by tomlikesfries (4874 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably Justice (Alex Ross).

#35 Posted by inferiorego (28295 posts) - - Show Bio

@spinningbirdcake said:

Alex Ross-Marvels

Oh my Lord. Favorite X-Men drawing ever.

I second that.

Staff
#36 Posted by Mr_Hudson (300 posts) - - Show Bio

On topic if anyone is reading Masks, the interior art for that is amazing. Ross has not lost his touch one bit.

#37 Posted by TDK_1997 (15081 posts) - - Show Bio

Everything Jim Lee does but especially Batman:Hush.