Best 3rd party "super hero" type titles?

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Thought the traditional big-2 characters will always be my favorites, I'm finding I really like some third party titles. A little because of the freedom of a creator owned title (& the more realistic violence doesn't hurt either) but I think mostly because they're generally much shorter/self-contained & are thus enabled to tell a good story more easily (as opposed to a Superman or Batman or Spiderman who will for all intents & purposes go on forever. They are much more like a TV show that just goes on week to week (with "arcs") than a movie/book that tells a story then is done). I think Invincible supports this (in a way) because - while it's not bad at all - going on for 100+ issues I think it's lost some of the magic it had early on.

Titles I've read so far include:

• Invincible
  • Irredeemable/Incorruptable
  • Superior
  • Halcyon
  • The Strange Talent of Luther Strode

Many of those have Superman type "top dog" type characters(/powersets), but I don't think I need that. What are some other great 3rd party titles that fall roughly into the traditional "super hero" genre? (Roughly, as TSToLS doesn't explore those themes as much as the others).

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Anything by Valiant. It's the only 3rd party to have a "universe" similar to Marvel/DC with crossover and references etc.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@maccyd said:

Anything by Valiant. It's the only 3rd party to have a "universe" similar to Marvel/DC with crossover and references etc.

Yeah, definitely. Everything is connected, it's awesome.

I have The Strange Talent of Luther Strode, which is awesome, and I'm planning on getting Irredeemable/Incorruptible. They seem nifty.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

TMNT by IDW. Definitely one of the top 10 best comics being published right now.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By lightsout

@i_like_swords: I definitely recommend them. Both explore "humanity"/the human pysche very well (Waid's a great writer of course), with Irredeemable being more "universe spanning, big picture" and Incorruptible being more "life on the streets" (but both great).

regarding Valiant, I did think Harbinger & Bloodshot looked cool (back when someone did a "3rd party comics you should read" thread), but I know they're newer so I might wait to read them (ie: so I don't have to wait month-to-month. All those I listed I read after they were done (or for Invincible, it was already almost 100 issues in)).

Q on Valiant - is that a good thing? (the connectivity) ie: Does it mean you have to read a good deal of it for things to make sense? (Because the (relatively) self-contained nature of the titles I mentioned was something I liked. The story started & in a (relatively) short number of issues, it was over (& that universe was "done").

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

god_spawn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 10

#8 god_spawn  Moderator

Harbinger sucked me back in. Probably one of the best titles going. I'm also liking the current Miss Fury and Dark Horse's X is extremely gritty and I love it.

lightsout

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Weird, I'm not getting notifications when people "reply" me...but thanks for the recommendations everyone! I'm def going to do my research on some of these titles!

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By batmannflash

TMNT, Hellboy, X-O Manowar

Avatar image for black_lantern_mar_vell
Black Lantern Mar-vell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

Spawn by Image, Vampirella by Dynamite, X-O Manowar by Valiant, & Doctor Solar by Darkhorse are all good.

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

@maccyd said:

Agreed. Valaint's the best.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Astro City.

BB