Benjamin J. Grimm - TERRORIST!?!

Timandm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

Edited By Timandm

Ben Grimm is a terrorist. He should be arrested, convicted and imprisoned.

Now, just let that thought FESTER for a moment... Ben Grimm is a noble character who happens to be one of the most well loved Super Heroes in the Marvel Universe. Not only is he a good guy, but he's a GOOD GUY.... EVERYONE likes Ben Grimm...

And if I met someone that actually believed Ben was a Terrorist and that he should be arrested and imprisoned, I would want to bitch-slap that person... (not that I would.)

HOWEVER.... I can only assume that those writing the current AvX storyline would disagree with me (but they wouldn't admit it...) What makes me think this?

Consider the following two characters; Ben Grimm and Emma Frost. Consider what happened to them and what they did.

Ben GrimmEmma Frost
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Possessed by:Asgardian god of Fear. Brother of OdinPhoenix Force.
CrimesMurder (an untold number of American citizens died at the hands of Ben Grimm. He may of killed people from other countries, I'm not sure).

Massive property damage (billions of dollars of damage)

TERRORISM. While possessed, Ben Grimm's entire purpose and focus was murder and destruction with the direct intent of INSTILLING FEAR in the human population. He was quite literally, a terrorist.
Murder (I know of only one person she has murdered by there could be more. This person was a citizen of the United States.).

Tyranny - making citizens of Utopia bow down and worship her.
SummaryWhile possessed by a powerful and evil Asgardian god, Ben Grimm murdered many people, destroyed billions of dollars worth of property, and terrorized millions of people.While possessed by half the Phoenix force, Emma Frost murdered one man, and then forced a small group of people from her own country to bow and worship her.
ResultBen Grimm was freed from possession (by his nephew Franklin) and not charged of any crime.Emma Frost was arrested for terrorism, and taken into custody by the Avengers.

In New Avengers 30, Emma Frost is in an armored transport vehicle being transported as a prisoner. Luke Cage calls her a Mutant Terrorist...

So, what am I to conclude. Ben Grimm murdered many people and caused billions of dollars of property damage, and more importantly, was quite literally a terrorist in that he actually wanted to create terror... He INTENDED TO TERRORIZE, TO INSTILL FEAR....

Emma, on the other hand, murdered one person, and helped give the earth clean energy, food, and water... She also released her serious inner bitch and forced the citizens of Utopia to bow down and worship her... but she was NOT a terrorist....

Bot Ben and Emma were possessed by powerful beings... Both were not truly in control of their actions... While possessed, Ben did things that were FAR worse than what Emma did... And yet, BEN is one of the people transporting Emma, the mutant terrorist....

Hypocrite much?

So, if Emma Frost truly is a terrorist, then why isn't Ben Grimm? Or Bruce Banner? Or Wolverine?

angrir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

he saved more lives than he murdered

ilikedonuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Thing aint no crummy terrorist. He's a HERO! Mebbe he aint no blasted Hulk, but he's still a hero an' can clobber some 'a those crummy bad joes out there.

He wuz just outta control when Angrir possessed him.

The_Scourge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Coz Thing was actually possessed and wasn't doing those acts under his own power.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@angrir said:

he saved more lives than he murdered

Coz Thing was actually possessed and wasn't doing those acts under his own power.

Im just going to play along with OP...

Quantifying lives as: "saving more lives than taking" is still not okay.

Being possessed is no excuse.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: Being possessed is EVERY excuse... it'd be like the "insanity clause" on steroids he was not in his right mind and couldn't control his actions...

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What I never understood was, why were they in control? Was it because they only had parts of the PF? Or are they always in control? If that is the case, Jean was a mass murderer.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: Being possessed is EVERY excuse... it'd be like the "insanity clause" on steroids he was not in his right mind and couldn't control his actions...

Oh sure sure. Doesnt matter what atrocities you commit, as long as you were possessed, it's all A-Okay!

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

@jasonhawke: it's not ok but it isn't the possessed person fault,it's the possessor's.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: it's not ok but it isn't the possessed person fault,it's the possessor's.

The Victims dont see it that way.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

What I never understood was, why were they in control? Was it because they only had parts of the PF? Or are they always in control? If that is the case, Jean was a mass murderer.

The writers explained that the PF heightened what they were as people but it was still them. Which differ from what happened with the chosen.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: we'll that's the thing, the person who was possessed was also a victim. It's sh***y and unfair for the people who got killed or injured but that's the way it is. Punishing the possessed person is just committing another wrong in order to make themselves feel better.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oooh I get it.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OP kinda ruined it with the last sentence though. Leave some mystery.

Project_Worm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@project_worm said:

Oh sure sure. Doesnt matter what atrocities you commit, as long as you were possessed, it's all A-Okay!

If some psychopath strapped a bomb to an innocent person and it went off, causing the death of a bunch of people would the host of the bomb be a mass murderer??

aquaman01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dernman said:

@aquaman01 said:

The writers explained that the PF heightened what they were as people but it was still them. Which differ from what happened with the chosen.

Ah okay, because they weren't the "chosen one", it was different than Jean. Thanks, never fully understood it for some reason lol

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@project_worm: Yes, cause the people who died and the victims' families and friends would immediately blame the guy who had the bomb strapped to his chest cause they dont know if he was used or not since everyone always takes things at face value.

@avenging_x_bolt: Well duh, there's always someone that needs to take the blame. Besides, the person who got possessed should get blamed anyway for having such a weak-will and allowing themselves to be used that way.

Listen you guys, I could argue philosophies and what's "wrong" and what's "right" all night but.... i think ima leave it at that. Lol

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

@dernman said:

@aquaman01 said:

Exactly this. The only time someone might have been fully possessed by the PF was when Cyclops had the full might of the PF under his control and even then it's possible part of Cyclops' mind could have dictated his actions with the PF. In contrast, Ben Grimm was fully possessed by Angrir and acting completely out of character. That meant his actions were not his own and so he couldn't be charged with crimes he did not commit.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@jasonhawke: then by that logic, the people who got killed are the ones at fault for being unable to defend themselves.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

@jasonhawke: wouldn't it make more sense to blame Angrir (the entity who possessed Thing) the Serpent (the god who command Angrir) or Sin/Hydra (the one who helped the Serpent & co to return.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: then by that logic, the people who got killed are the ones at fault for being unable to defend themselves.

Which is also true. Those who cannot defend themselves dont deserve to be defended.

Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jasonhawke: lol, good one. Can't believe it took me so long to realize that you're trolling.

jasonhawke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By jasonhawke
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers