• 67 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (39496 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadline is reporting that Sin City actor Benicio Del Toro has been cast as a lead role in Marvel Studios' upcoming Guardians of the Galaxy. The website doesn't say specifically who he'll play as, but they do say, "he’s playing a character that is built to be part of future Marvel films, which means he has signed a deal with options that put him into multiple movies." An important character with multiple film opportunities? Let the speculation begin.

Quite a few people think Marvel Studios has found their Thanos, and I'd say it's an understandable guess. He certainly has the acting chops to be a brilliant villain, but when it comes to the physical aspect, they'd of course need to go fairly heavy on the effects. That said, It's not like that's something the genre isn't capable of handling. Assuming the casting news pans out, who do you think he'll be, Viners?

Guardians of the Galaxy is directed by James Gunn and is scheduled to come out August 1, 2014.

Source: Deadline

Staff Online
#1 Edited by Z3RO180 (6433 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome news

#2 Edited by TerryMcGinnis (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I like this casting. If he does play thanos he would need a CG body of some sort like you said, but i think he'd make a good Thanos. His face looks just like him.

#3 Posted by MyronLee26 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

This just keeps getting better and better. I'm calling it........movie of the year (2014).

#4 Posted by CitizenJP (595 posts) - - Show Bio

That's cool I like Benicio! W00t to the w00t!

#5 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Adam Warlock?

#6 Posted by LordRequiem (1310 posts) - - Show Bio

@myronlee26: Movie of 2014 will be The Amazing Spiderman 2, because anything with a talking raccoon is doomed to ridicule.

This is good casting though, he certainly has the face for it.

#7 Posted by danhimself (22460 posts) - - Show Bio

wouldn't they just use the same actor that played him at the end of Avengers?

#8 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6443 posts) - - Show Bio

Great news. I'm guessing Thanos as well. He has the face.

#9 Posted by Novemberx2 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

@myronlee26: given that clearly Disney who want to make this film because of then sudden obsession with doing scfi films i'd say its got more of chance of being the John carter of Mars of 2014

#10 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm so excited for this film, probably more than any of the other upcoming Marvel films.

#11 Posted by HempKnight757 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordrequiem: Don't get me wrong I hope Amazing Spiderman 2 is good. Having said that there is plenty to ridicule in the first Amazing Spiderman. I'm far from sold on Marc Webb.

#12 Posted by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

Holy crap. If he's Thanos, this just got me excited. Benicio is a great actor and I've always liked his work. This still doesn't erase the sour taste in my mouth from IM3 though. But to be fair, nothing really could..

#13 Posted by HempKnight757 (128 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Michael_Moran (86 posts) - - Show Bio

That is amazing

#15 Edited by HempKnight757 (128 posts) - - Show Bio

@extremis: Yeah I know. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but man that movie was really bad. What did you think of Amazing Spiderman? I mean did it really need to be a reboot?

#16 Posted by The_Tree (7250 posts) - - Show Bio

This cast just keeps on improving by the day.

This just keeps getting better and better. I'm calling it........movie of the year (2014).

Hell yeah, CBM of the year at least.

#17 Posted by BR_Havoc (1285 posts) - - Show Bio

He would make a great Thanos if that is who he was cast as. Then again maybe he will be Ronan there was a rumor he might be the main villain?

#18 Posted by MyronLee26 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio

@lordrequiem: oh yeah, sure, cause anything as obscure as a talking raccoon definitely wouldn't make a hit movie. A mean hell, we've had a franchise that features a team of a 7foot hairy man-beast who's voice sounds like a raging seal, a golden robot droid and his partner that looks like a high-tech trashcan, a smart-talking space pilot, and a brother-sister duo whom are the kids of the secondary main villain.......now that movie series was an insuccessful flop......*sarcasm*

#19 Edited by Extremis (3344 posts) - - Show Bio

@hempknight757: no. But it was because Sony has to make a Spiderman film every so often or they lose Spidey to Marvel. Its forced and a dumb reason to make a movie. they did it so that now they can just make a new one every couple years with a new starting point. Expect tons more (unnecessary) Spidey movies for the foreseeable future...

#20 Edited by SoA (4772 posts) - - Show Bio

adam warlock,nova, uautu (lol)

#21 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32993 posts) - - Show Bio

Was there even an actor?

#22 Edited by MyronLee26 (1092 posts) - - Show Bio
#23 Posted by JairamGanpat (952 posts) - - Show Bio

i think he'd make a good Thanos. His face looks just like him.

BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN
lol

#24 Posted by danhimself (22460 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

Was there even an actor?

I honestly don't know...there isn't one listed on IMDB and I'm pretty sure that there isn't one in the credits...but that could be Marvel/Disney's attempt to keep it a secret....he did kind of look like Del Toro though

#25 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

Ron perlman must be Thanos, this is not open to negotiation.

#26 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

@danhimself said:

Was there even an actor?

I honestly don't know...there isn't one listed on IMDB and I'm pretty sure that there isn't one in the credits...but that could be Marvel/Disney's attempt to keep it a secret....he did kind of look like Del Toro though

Thanos was played by Daimon Poitier in the Avengers, although the official credit is as "Man #1" probably as they wanted to keep the role a secret.

#27 Edited by ShadowSwordmaster (13479 posts) - - Show Bio

This good news.

#28 Posted by judasnixon (6427 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'm the only guy who is hoping he will be the voice for this guy.......

#29 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Whelp it's still gonna bomb

#30 Posted by judasnixon (6427 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh by the way, Doctor Who's Karen Gillan will be playing a villain in this film too......

#31 Edited by TeamUnitedNerds (402 posts) - - Show Bio

This seems a bit of an odd choice

#32 Posted by OmgOmgWtfWtf (7021 posts) - - Show Bio

Nerd-gasm. Benicio del Toro is a brilliant actor. Yes. Yes. Yes.

#33 Posted by JamDamage (1114 posts) - - Show Bio

This would be good. yes it would

#34 Edited by Mangakid1995 (164 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: in Avengers Thanos was just a digital effect no real actor, now they are actually casting the part.

#35 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5731 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by Danial79 (2346 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't really picture his voice for Thanos, but I love Benicio del Toro, so I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong :)

#37 Edited by judasnixon (6427 posts) - - Show Bio
#38 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5011 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really physched for this movie.

#39 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (21747 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmmmmmmmm...

#40 Posted by Mister_Sensational (184 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_ said:

Adam Warlock?

I'm with you on that one, and the character does sort of have crossover movie appearance appeal to him especially if Marvel is setting Thanos up to be the ultimate villain of their films. I heard another website speculate it was Ronan but I didn't really see him as that character and I couldn't see that character in any other film other than this one.

@dh69 said:

Ron perlman must be Thanos, this is not open to negotiation.

Yes I agree with this very much as well. lol

#41 Posted by Barkley (271 posts) - - Show Bio

he wouldn't need a CG body all he needs is same make up guys that did Hellboy.....del toro is 6'2 with thick boots that 6'4 or 6'5 he can Thanos just give him the tools

#42 Edited by Bobsjonjon (225 posts) - - Show Bio

He could play Red Hood!

#43 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10874 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanos with Del Toro voice...Yes...this is what our world needs

#44 Posted by novi_homines (1338 posts) - - Show Bio

WOW!

#45 Posted by Lykida (182 posts) - - Show Bio

This is really good news! I could imagine him as Thanos as well as Adam Warlock, so I think we can be sure at least one of the parts is played by one of the best. :-)

#46 Posted by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

Love Benicio, even though his English accent is pretty cheesy at times. But as Thanos? C'mon.

#47 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

a thousand times yes :)

#48 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

the magnum gold guy? thanos? PFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF

#49 Edited by DonFelipe (1096 posts) - - Show Bio

I think I'm the only guy who is hoping he will be the voice for this guy.......

That would be funny! Nice pic by the way.

#50 Posted by AWeekInGeekdom (228 posts) - - Show Bio

At first i thought someone like Captain Marvel would be pretty good for Benicio. >.>