owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#51 owie  Moderator

@owie:

See, I'm fine when a character is "annoying" to a limit.

To me, he's annoying. The show is annoying. The side characters are annoying. The villains are annoying. I really just can't get into it.

I hear you. If I didn't like the rest of the show, the crux of Ben being a jerk who needs to learn to be a better person wouldn't be enough for me either.

@perezite said:

@owie said:

@sideburnguru said:

I'm asking, which series did you watch where Ben was an annoying brat.

So far, each one? I thought he was annoying and bland character through each one. He was about as cool and interesting as Johnny Test.

I actually think one of the things that makes the show interesting is exactly that he's an annoying brat, and that the show is very upfront about it. Basically he's constantly getting in trouble and almost losing because he's hugely shallow and arrogant. His friends and the adults are always telling him he's basically a jerk. A lot of the long term arc, where he eventually grows up into Ben 10,000, is about how he eventually learns to not be an annoying brat. We expect the main character of a show to be someone we like, but this show intentionally makes him hard to like. So it's sort of an unusual investigation into what it would be like if an average kid got powers--he would totally be arrogant and thoughtless about it--and how that affects him enough to slowly (vveeeerrrrrrryyy slowly) grow up a bit.

I don't know about you, but when I first saw the show (I was ten and eleven) I actually thought Ben was VERY likeable. Not only because he was a spoiled brat who liked to goof off and show off (like I was and ESPECIALLY like me if I suddenly had an alien watch with powers), but, despite his disposition, he genuinely DID want to help people for the right reasons (as well as the bad, sometimes).

The way I see it, Ben in the series (for the most part) varies from Booster Gold levels when he was just starting off to Johnny Storm and Booster Gold later in his career levels. He's very similar to those two.

Also, who here could HONESTLY say they wouldn't be a bit of a dick if they suddenly got an alien watch as a ten year old? Hell, who here can HONESTLY say they wouldn't be a bit of a dick if they got an alien watch NOW?

Well, that's pretty much what I think. Ben is just like what an actual kid would be like if he got all that power. I think it's good writing for them to make him like that. He is a lot like Booster Gold. What I like is that his friends etc. occasionally point out to him that he's letting it all go to his head, and that he needs to be more thoughtful, etc., and that sometimes, like a real person, he ignores it. But in the end I find him more interesting in an abstract way than actually likeable. Sure, he has a sense of good vs evil, and is slowly growing a sense of responsibility, but he's not the kind of person I would want to be friends with--at least not until he grows up!

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

..Okay, I'm pretty sure you could just end it as.

"I like the show, you don't."

Honestly, with all due respect, I'm not usually close minded but I really do dislike that show. I think it's purely stupid. I don't think you're gonna get me to like it.

I'm...so confused right now...

Because, if you actually bothered to read that whole "ANIMATED HISTORY YOU DON'T KNOW OR CARE ABOUT BUT NEED TO KNOW IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND THIS" thingy, you'd know that I only like the original and Omniverse. Alien Force and Ultimate Alie (along with Dwayne McDuffie, IF he was primarily responsible) can go die (again) in a ditch for the wasted opportunity, mishandling, and mediocrity.

I'm not trying to convince you to like it. You don't strike me as the kind of fellow for whom it would be worth the effort or the fellow who'd let go of his prejudices to do it himself, so why bother?

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Perezite

@perezite said:

@the_stegman said:

@sideburnguru said:

@dratini1331:

That's crazy. That's honestly crazy. How does Young Justice get taken off but that stays? Damn.

@the_stegman

Well, I mean, the aliens are the strong ones, right? Not actually Ben? Or is Ben superpowered too? I'm so off with this series. I can't stand watching it either, since everything about it just bugs me. Is Alien X the ultimate alien?

Ben has no powers, but he has a watch that samples the DNA of any alien species it comes in contact with and stores it.

Alien X is by far the strongest creature shown in the show. It's an alien that is comprised of two constantly arguing entities, one that wants to help, another that does'nt which often ends in a deadlock.

No...during Ultimate Alien, he USED to have a version of the Omnitrix that worked like that called the Ultimatrix. He has since then lost the ability to sample new alien species.

Also, Alien X is it's OWN being and those two entities you mentioned are part of a split personality all Alien X's develop. They don't actually exist as their own entities outside of Alien X's mind.

1. I know, I was giving him a description of what the Omnitrix was, and how exactly it recieved its aliens

2. I don't see how what you said is different from what I said, I didn't say they existed outside of Alien X's mind.

1. Nooo...you were describing the ULTIMATRIX. Unless you count those times it took the DNA that allowed Ben to become Ben Mummy, or Ben Wolf, or Ben Viktor...

2. You said that its split personalities COMPRISED it, as if they had form outside of it's mind and had a physical presence that, combined, provided the structure for Alien X that, without which, Alien X would not be.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

@perezite said:

@sideburnguru said:

Honestly, with all due respect, I'm not usually close minded but I really do dislike that show. I think it's purely stupid. I don't think you're gonna get me to like it.

Because, if you actually bothered to read that whole "ANIMATED HISTORY YOU DON'T KNOW OR CARE ABOUT BUT NEED TO KNOW IN ORDER TO UNDERSTAND THIS" thingy, you'd know that I only like the original and Omniverse. Alien Force and Ultimate Alie (along with Dwayne McDuffie, IF he was primarily responsible) can go die (again) in a ditch for the wasted opportunity, mishandling, and mediocrity.

I'm not trying to convince you to like it. You don't strike me as the kind of fellow for whom it would be worth the effort or the fellow who'd let go of his prejudices to do it himself, so why bother?

I read it. I just felt you were trying to convince me and I didn't want you wasting your time.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite said:

@sideburnguru said:

I read it. I just felt you were trying to convince me and I didn't want you wasting your time.

I was trying to explain where I was coming from. If anything, I was trying to reinforce your idea that Alien Force and Ultimate Alien weren't very good.

Anyways, I'll ask this: do these Ben 10 vs. Thread make you angry? Like REALLY angry? Or even just apathetic and annoyed?

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: Oh, well I apologize then.

And.. eh. Just really annoyed.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Perezite

@perezite:

Oh, well I apologize then.

And.. eh. Just really annoyed.

Well then, I have two suggestions:

1. Grow a pair and some thick skin and get used to it.

2. Know your enemy so that you know all of the ways to destroy him. By this I mean, if you want to combat all of these claims and stuff, then you're going to have to get into your enemy's mindset and know what their interpreting to find the weak-spots in that interpretation. That would involve watching Alien Force and Ultimate Alien. So, in other words, if you're going to make TRULY informed posts to fight them...just do your research and watch the damn episodes they're talking about man.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@perezite: 1.

Click it for my reaction to that first one. Ouch man.

2. ..Or I could just say what I was planning on doing before, and not post in any thread involving him because I think he's being taken way too seriously, and I feel the character should die out soon.

Perezite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Perezite

@perezite

: 1.

2. ..Or I could just say what I was planning on doing before, and not post in any thread involving him because I think he's being taken way too seriously, and I feel the character should die out soon.

So, in other words, you're just going to toot your own horn and complain about something that ain't gonna happen anytime soon.

Fair enough. Who knows. It might be therapeutic for you.

SideburnGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By SideburnGuru

@perezite: Okay, so wait a minute. I make a thread asking why people like him, and how he beats bigger characters. I got that, and I got other people's feedback about the show and yours.

Since when was this a "I'm going to insult a person over an opinion." I'm hardly tooting my own horn. I'm saying, I'm staying out of Ben 10 threads so I don't end up coming out as biased. Where's the issue in that?