#1 Posted by SOG7dc (7566 posts) - - Show Bio

Here is a ist of all the characters i have a certain.....distaste for. i want to give them all a shot so if any aficionados be among you please enlighten me. tell me what is so cool about these characters and tell me what their best showing was.

Black Panther

Hulk

......Nova (boy that one is gonna be a tough sell)

Deadpool

and

......Ironman (even tougher sell than nova)

#2 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6139 posts) - - Show Bio

What do you not like about Nova?

#3 Posted by SOG7dc (7566 posts) - - Show Bio
#4 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6139 posts) - - Show Bio
#5 Posted by judasnixon (6704 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: Bruce Banner is so much cooler than the Hulk..... If that makes any sense.... Try Peter David's run on The Hulk when Bruce Banner controlled the Hulk.....

#6 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18051 posts) - - Show Bio

i'll copy my reasoning for why hulk is f*cking badass from my list.

Hulk is one of the greatest fictional characters ever.

at first glance Hulk might seem like a boring character, people often confuse him with a plot devise too, i mean a big green man who smashes things? sounds kinda repetitive, but really, it's not. Truth be told, you can't like hulk without liking banner, because it's the dynamic that really draws you to the character. Banner is a a wimp, he is really weak physically, yet he is put in charge of one of the most powerful beings on earth, and how does one deal with that? I mean how can this weakling control such a powerful beast ? thing is, banner is the personification of Will and Strength of character.

Hulk is everything banner has locked up his entire life, and the funny thing is, he never gives in, he always knows that giving in to the rage might cause some harm to others around him. this shows how powerful he really is, the "Strongest there is" line which hulk frequently uses is tied to banner, because it's his will power and Raw emotions which gives the Hulk power. We've all been there, we've all wanted to cut loose before, there is always that voice that keeps telling you that you really want to punch someone in the face. now imagine that only multiply it by a 100, and you might understand banners situation. Banner and Hulk hate each other, which means that in reality Banner hates himself, or at least This "aspect" of himself. Hulk could fight the biggest baddest villain in the Universe, and still the greatest Foe he ever had is himself, this "jekyll and Hyde" concept doesn't always work, but it does here, because Banner's Sympathy is what makes hulks rage so awesome, and it's hulks rage what makes banner sympathetic.

But the greatest thing is that Hulk himself isn't a monster either, he never hurts the innocents, and there have been multiple times where he has protected the people who had called him a monster, this shows that even at his worst, hulk is by all means a hero. This all comes from bruce banner. you can imagine his mind as a huge hallway of doors, with each door holding it's one secret(aka Hulk). did that image since in? good, because it's important. Hulk is a type of character you can't get bored with, which is funny because most people would disagree with me, but then again most people haven't read his stories and have no idea what they are talking about.

The writers did a very good job of giving Banner and personality disorder because that way we can have many versions of the hulk which manifests based on the different aspects of banner, therefore giving each hulk his own distinctive look and personality. We have Joe Fixit who represents banners wild, Brash teenage self, and we also have the traditional Savage Hulk who has a heart of gold yes is always angry and misunderstood. My personal favorite would be Green scar, a Noble hero who would sacrifice himself for his family and friends any day of the week. This brings me to my next point, with a character like hulk, he can be written in any genre. it could Be dark and gritty or it could be light hearted and fun. and IT would work, because when you have a character like superman, he best works best in fun light-hearted stories, but with hulk, that doesn't matter.

i've gone a bit of track here but the point is that hulk is an awesome character, the kind that has substance and depth. People can say hulk is boring but if that were true he wouldn't have had an ongoing for 12 F*cking years.

"Then why do you suddenly look scared? Maybe you see that you could be ten times stronger than Hulk, and it still would not matter. Not when all Hulk has to do is become ten times as mad!!"

-Hulk/Bruce Banner

#7 Edited by Manwhohaseverything (1993 posts) - - Show Bio

For The Hulk. I like that he's the original (as far as I know) character in comics that actually changes who he is when becoming the title character. Spider-man is still Peter Parker (I'm not counting Dan Slott's BS) Superman is still Clark Kent when he switches to his blue uni and red cape. The HULK is not Bruce Banner. The best Hulk stories are the ones that explore this dichotomy. Must agree with @judasnixon, Peter David's run was amongst the best at this. (And that's what made those stories so great, not McFarlane's art, though that was pretty cool also.)

#8 Posted by Battle_Forum_Junkie (8282 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18051 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (44063 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Panther is awesome for many reasons. He is man who has been burdened with protecting a kingdom and feels it is his one and only duty. He has a strong sense of justice/morality, and will always stand for what he believes is right, and is a truly noble and magnanimous person who will always protect the innocent. Despite how powerful and dangerous T'Challa is, he remains extremely humble and is a true example of not letting power corrupt you. If you want to get an in depth view into why Black Panther is awesome, read Christopher Priest's Black Panther run.

#11 Edited by Havenless (1395 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything said:

For The Hulk. I like that he's the original (as far as I know) character in comics that actually changes who he is when becoming the title character. Spider-man is still Peter Parker (I'm not counting Dan Slott's BS) Superman is still Clark Kent when he switches to his blue uni and red cape. The HULK is not Bruce Banner. The best Hulk stories are the ones that explore this dichotomy. Must agree with @judasnixon, Peter David's run was amongst the best at this. (And that's what made those stories so great, not McFarlane's art, though that was pretty cool also.)

I could argue that Billy Batson becomes a more sophisticated version of himself, because he inherits Solomon's whatever, and Zeus' whatever, and all that. While he still it technically Billy Batson, he's smarter, more valiant, and everything else. And he doesn't call himself Batson, doesn't look like Batson, and acts much different than Batson. Same with the Hulk, it's still Banner. Just a distorted version of himself. The radiation didn't put some other being in his head, it simply forged a new one. Not unlike what Shazam did to Batson.

And Batson came first.

#12 Posted by judasnixon (6704 posts) - - Show Bio

What I liked about Peter David's run on The Hulk was Bruce Banner was a genius. He didn't have to "smash" his way out of everything...... He would out think everyone to win.

#13 Edited by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: You seem to just not know a whole lot about the Marvel universe, as you have said a lot of characters are Batman ripoffs... (Even when they're nothing like Batman) All of the characters are Marvel, and you seem to really just be more of a DC fan. Since you are going to give them a chance, (which many strictly DC fans wouldn't), I'll tell you why Black Panther is awesome and is certainly not a Batman ripoff:

Because he's not. It's just not really fair to say you have a distaste for characters you clearly know nothing about, is all I'm saying. You could ask for recommendations on how to get into them, but to say you already don't like them is just a bit odd. Anyway, Black Panther is a rich genius king that kicks a whole lot of ass. Also, this:

#14 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: It'd help if you said why/what you dislike about the characters you listed

#15 Edited by HumanRocket (8718 posts) - - Show Bio

You can think of Nova as Peter Parker. A normal kid who just happens to get these great powers that he has no idea how to use and has to learn to use them. Nova doesn't really take off unitl annihilation wave. The whole universe is at war millions did and Nova is the last one standing of the once proud Nova corps. He takes the responsibility of taking the whole nova force and becoming the Nova prime and at the same time learning to become a warrior by being trained by Drax the Destroyer. When he comes back to earth everyone who used to think of him as a joke now respect him for his new found maturity and power. He has to learn during this war to be warrior a leader and a hero. He becomes such a Great War hero that even the Kree empire dedicates a statue to him after his death. The thing that makes Rich such a great chracther is that he's relatable like Peter. And like Peter and his alter ego you get to see Rich develop into one of the greates comismic heroes.

#16 Posted by kgb725 (6440 posts) - - Show Bio

Start reading planet hulk

#17 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1869 posts) - - Show Bio

@sog7dc: can't sell you on Deadpool. He's a silly character and pretty useless in the MU.

#18 Edited by batmannflash (6226 posts) - - Show Bio

The thing is, I don't think anyone can ever explain to you why these characters are awesome and change your mind. You kinda need to read their stories and experience them first hand to understand them. You really can't properly judge and say you have a distaste of the characters unless you have read on them.

So I recommend finding good comics about these characters and read about them! You will gain knowledge about them, and understand why people like them. If you still don't like some of them, then you don't. And there's not much you can do about it unless something comes out in the future.

I'm not a fan of Iron Man (outside of RDJ). But I like Hulk (sometimes), Nova, and definitely Black Panther.

#19 Posted by Veshark (9058 posts) - - Show Bio

Read the comics. Nova and Black Panther - they're both pretty easy sells once you do.