Posted by BatWatch (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

To see this article with more images, Click Here.

For months now, The Ravagers has dragged on without any character development or really any significant development of any kind, but under the guidance of the series new writer Michael Alan Nelson, (former writer of Boom comic 28 Days Later) it appears the series might begin to move forward. With that in mind, I can't help but wonder if the team's token starry eyed duo might actually start to form a significant relationship. Currently, there is nothing going on between Beast Boy and Terra more than a curious familiarity and loyalty, but how long can this last before the flames of passion once more ignite?

If Beast Boy and Terra do enter into the throes of passion, it probably will not end well because these two characters have not had the happiest of histories. In celebration of their (most likely) doomed love, I thought it would be fun to do a quick review of the formation and destruction of their past relationships.

Young Love

Beast Boy (Gar) first met Terra (Tara) when he was a member of the New Teen Titans. After hearing her story, Beast Boy convinced the rest of the Titans to allow Terra to join the team. Terra, with her geokinetic powers, had been kidnapped and trained by terrorists, but she managed to escape their influence and was not eager to fight for the cause of good...or at least that is what she claimed. Beast Boy fell for Tara quick and hard, and he never saw the disaster that was looming just around the corner.

Deathstroke, (Slade Wilson) the Titans biggest enemy, attacked the New Teen Titans and managed to take almost all of them out with a nearly supernatural knowledge of their strengths, weaknesses, and civilians identities. To Beast Boy's incredulity, it was revealed that Terra had actually been a spy implanted in the Titans by Deathstroke, and she was not fighting by Deathstroke's side. Nightwing partnered with the new hero Jericho and confronted Deathstroke, and in the ensuing conflict, Jericho managed to use his mind control powers to possess Slade and make him fight Terra. Terra fought back, but she lost control of her powers and accidentally caused a building to fall on top of her dying right in front of Beast Boy's eyes.

After a brief time of grieving, Beast Boy went after Deathstroke who Gar believed to be guilty of manipulating and corrupting Terra. After an impressive display of skill where Beast Boy essentially stalemated Deathstroke, Gar wrangled a full confession out of him. Terra was not some girl who had been kidnapped by terrorists; she was actually the princess of a small Eastern European nation who had chosen the life of crime. In addition to being a traitor to Gar and the Titans, Terra was already a murderer and a lover of Slade Wilson before she ever met Gar. Understandably, this revelation caused Beast Boy a fair amount of anguish and distress, but he eventually healed from his emotional wounds.

The Train Wreck Continues

Since Terra's death, she has still managed to tug on Beast Boy's heart strings.

A couple of years after Terra's death, a new Terra appeared who had the same appearance and ability as the old Terra. She claimed to be a clone of the original Terra from an alternate future time line, but as if this was not already complicated enough, even this Terra had some secrets. Long story short, Terra was eventually revealed to be a clone of the original, but she was not from the future but only brainwashed to believe she was from the future. In truth, much of her true history was never uncovered.

Beast Boy and this version of Terra never formed a real dating relationship, but they did work together on many occasions. One of those occasions was when the Teen Titans and the rest of the world's heroes battled Black Adam. In the conflict, Black Adam killed Terra which caused Beast Boy to have to relive her death once more.

Even after this, Terra did not stay out of Beast Boy's mind. Atlee, a girl with no relation to Tara but similar powers, took up the mantle of Terra serving as a reminder of past pains. Even worse, the original Terra resurrected during Blackest Night. Due to the support of the psychic Lilith Clay, Terra managed to hide her dead appearance and flirt with Beast Boy claiming she had returned for him after having faked her death and living in hiding for years, but when Lilith's manipulations were thwarted by Gar's fellow Titans, Beast Boy saw Black Lantern Terra for the rotting corpse she truly was and managed to escape her clutches. Terra then attacked the Outsiders, but the heroine Halo turned Terra into stone.

Up to Date

Since the reboot, both Beast Boy and Terra have been rather mysterious figures and their relationship is tenuous and difficult to quantify. Due to the manipulations of the generically evil organization N.O.W.H.E.R.E., they have lost their memories of their lives before a few months ago, and it has been implied that they had no powers before N.O.W.H.E.R.E. activated their metagenes.

What is clear is that the two are loyal to one another. Terra often speaks harshly towards Beast Boy, but she always has his back. Despite the series short run thus far, these two characters have had several mini-adventures away from the pack, and it seems pretty clear that they have romantic feelings for one another. With Beast Boy's more timid nature and Terra's aggressive brutality, they have some potential for real chemistry. Though I would not hold my breath, perhaps we might just see these two get a happily ever after in the DCNU.

#1 Posted by Wolfrazer (6350 posts) - - Show Bio

I like BBXTerra, so here is hoping that they do eventually come together. Sure...they have had a lot of terrible things happen, but I feel that is what could make their romantic relationship(if it comes) much stronger if they can get passed all of it and push on through. Plus it would be a sort of cheering moment, when/if they do end up finally together after all the hardships that they have been through all over.

#2 Posted by BatWatch (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer said:

I like BBXTerra, so here is hoping that they do eventually come together. Sure...they have had a lot of terrible things happen, but I feel that is what could make their romantic relationship(if it comes) much stronger if they can get passed all of it and push on through. Plus it would be a sort of cheering moment, when/if they do end up finally together after all the hardships that they have been through all over.

Yeah, I hate that all their pre-Flashpoint history was lost though. It would be a major accomplishment if love could conquer all of that, but if they got together now, it would not be any more significant than any other romance. Still, it might be nice for the fans.

#3 Posted by ArticulateT (189 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't BB meant to be in love with Raven shortly before the reboot? Whatever happened to that relationship?

As for the possibility of these two getting together, I'd say it's a possibility. It could potentially be a Rachel/Ross type thing.

#4 Posted by BatWatch (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArticulateT said:

Wasn't BB meant to be in love with Raven shortly before the reboot? Whatever happened to that relationship?

As for the possibility of these two getting together, I'd say it's a possibility. It could potentially be a Rachel/Ross type thing.

I suppose it was wiped out altogether with the reboot. As far as we know, these two heroes have not even met each other in the New 52.

I definitely think there needs to be some clarification in their relationship. Something is happening between those two.

#5 Posted by ArticulateT (189 posts) - - Show Bio

Mm. I think one thing is certain, and that's that the continuity of the Teen Titans has become a tad confusing now. With personality and backstory reboots (such as Cyborg being a League member after his creation, and Starfire being... well, Starfire) I can't help but feel that the original titans need a bit of a storyline.

#6 Posted by BatWatch (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArticulateT said:

Mm. I think one thing is certain, and that's that the continuity of the Teen Titans has become a tad confusing now. With personality and backstory reboots (such as Cyborg being a League member after his creation, and Starfire being... well, Starfire) I can't help but feel that the original titans need a bit of a storyline.

I'm pretty sure the current Teen Titans is supposed to be the only version of the Teen Titans that has ever existed in the New 52. In the comics, Tim said something like, "This will be the shortest incarnation of the Teen Titans ever," but in the trade, they edited out that line eliminating the reference to past Titans teams. RHATO references Dick, Roy and Kori working together at some point, so it it seems like there is something back in the past, but I do not think it is a Titan team.

#7 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

it sounds very much like what I call "The Moonlighting" scenario.... Way back in the 80s. Bruce Willis and Cybli Sheppard played private investigators in a show called Moon Lighting... The fans wanted them to "hook up" and become an item, but it never seemed to be in the cards. It was always that carrot that was dangled in front of us to keep us hoping and interested.... The problem is, if that carrot is dangled too long with no delivery, the fans lose interest. By the time to two actually became an item, no one gave a rats ass.... The same thing happened on a show called Remington Steele at about the same time frame... Since then, I've always been leery when shows or books or comic books dangle relationships like that in front of us.... They KNOW what we want and they intentionally do not give it to us... And so, for me, I quickly lose interest in them.... I think Gar and Terra would have been great together... But the writers simply do not have the balls to let it be...

#8 Posted by BatWatch (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

it sounds very much like what I call "The Moonlighting" scenario.... Way back in the 80s. Bruce Willis and Cybli Sheppard played private investigators in a show called Moon Lighting... The fans wanted them to "hook up" and become an item, but it never seemed to be in the cards. It was always that carrot that was dangled in front of us to keep us hoping and interested.... The problem is, if that carrot is dangled too long with no delivery, the fans lose interest. By the time to two actually became an item, no one gave a rats ass.... The same thing happened on a show called Remington Steele at about the same time frame... Since then, I've always been leery when shows or books or comic books dangle relationships like that in front of us.... They KNOW what we want and they intentionally do not give it to us... And so, for me, I quickly lose interest in them.... I think Gar and Terra would have been great together... But the writers simply do not have the balls to let it be...

Yeah, there is a very delicate balance that writers generally try to keep when writing relationship stories. If they don't give some romantic development, then people lose interest, but on the flip side, things cannot go well without people losing interest too, and as soon as a couple reaches the happily ever after stage, viewers/readers lose interest. Jim and Pam on The Office. Corey and Tapanga on Boy Meets World. Look at friends, they kept the whole Ross and Rachel thing in constant flux for ten seasons, and that retains people.

What I don't understand is why having a healthy relationship does not seem to sell.

#9 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatWatch said:

@Timandm said:

Yeah, there is a very delicate balance that writers generally try to keep when writing relationship stories. If they don't give some romantic development, then people lose interest, but on the flip side, things cannot go well without people losing interest too, and as soon as a couple reaches the happily ever after stage, viewers/readers lose interest. Jim and Pam on The Office. Corey and Tapanga on Boy Meets World. Look at friends, they kept the whole Ross and Rachel thing in constant flux for ten seasons, and that retains people.

What I don't understand is why having a healthy relationship does not seem to sell.

I think a happy relationship, written well, would sell...

- Reed and Susan Richards

- Peter and Mary Jane Parker. The Spider-Man series did extremely well while they were married.

- Luke and Jessica Cage. The New Avengers have been even more interesting with them married AND having baby Dani...

Jamie Madrox and Layla Miller recently married. Let's hope Marvel leaves that marriage in tact....

#10 Posted by BatWatch (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm:

Madrox and Layla married. Whoa! Kind of creepy considering their age disparity when they first met. I know there was the whole time travel thing though. I'm going to have to read a bunch of trades to catch up on X-Factor one day. I love the bits and pieces I've read.

Good point about those couples, but the generally held wisdom says that a solid relationship does not sell. I wonder if it is true or just writer laziness. Maybe it is just easier to think of drama with bad relationships.

#11 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatWatch said:

@Timandm:

Madrox and Layla married. Whoa! Kind of creepy considering their age disparity when they first met. I know there was the whole time travel thing though. I'm going to have to read a bunch of trades to catch up on X-Factor one day. I love the bits and pieces I've read.

Good point about those couples, but the generally held wisdom says that a solid relationship does not sell. I wonder if it is true or just writer laziness. Maybe it is just easier to think of drama with bad relationships.

Yeah, drama with bad relationships DOES make for a lot of stories, true enough...

and yes, the age thing could creep someone out, but it's like you said, there was the 'time travel thing.' They are now the same age. Layla spent, I think, more than ten years in the future. Odd, to think it was a future that no longer exists and yet she still grew up there. I remember when I first read the scene where she's only 12 and she tells him that eventually they get married... I remember thinking something like, "um...eww..." LOL! But I figured there would be some sort of time travel thing...

I do like Jaimie and Layla together. Their dialogue and banter is always good. I hope Marvel will let them be.

#12 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

BBxRae FOREVER

ALL NAYSAYERS SHALL PERISH

#13 Posted by BatWatch (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

@BatWatch said:

@Timandm:

Yeah, drama with bad relationships DOES make for a lot of stories, true enough...

and yes, the age thing could creep someone out, but it's like you said, there was the 'time travel thing.' They are now the same age. Layla spent, I think, more than ten years in the future. Odd, to think it was a future that no longer exists and yet she still grew up there. I remember when I first read the scene where she's only 12 and she tells him that eventually they get married... I remember thinking something like, "um...eww..." LOL! But I figured there would be some sort of time travel thing...

I do like Jaimie and Layla together. Their dialogue and banter is always good. I hope Marvel will let them be.

Nah. One of them will have an affair or grow a mutated piece of genitalia. Comic writers cannot let people be happy.

I also read that whole, "We'll be married," issue, and I figured Layla was just screwing with Madrox. I guess she is screwing him for real now.

@minigunman123 said:

BBxRae FOREVER

ALL NAYSAYERS SHALL PERISH

Oh, nobody likes Raven. She's just doomed to be alone forever. Gar was probably just leading her on anyway. (winks and grins)

#14 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatWatch: Nah. One of them will have an affair or grow a mutated piece of genitalia. Comic writers cannot let people be happy.

Oh GREAT! Now I have the phrase, "mutated piece of genitalia" stuck in my brain forever... Thanks a boat load for that! LOL!!!!

I wouldn't put it past the writers to have a situation where one or more of Jamie's dupes either 1: cheat on Layla or 2: sleep with Layla.... sigh... Kind of like that situation where his dupes slept with both Money and Siryn in the same night... Monet got angry, Theresa became pregnant with a dupe which was absorbed my Jaimie the moment he held it... sad and sick...

#15 Posted by BatWatch (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm said:

@BatWatch: Nah. One of them will have an affair or grow a mutated piece of genitalia. Comic writers cannot let people be happy.

Oh GREAT! Now I have the phrase, "mutated piece of genitalia" stuck in my brain forever... Thanks a boat load for that! LOL!!!!

I wouldn't put it past the writers to have a situation where one or more of Jamie's dupes either 1: cheat on Layla or 2: sleep with Layla.... sigh... Kind of like that situation where his dupes slept with both Money and Siryn in the same night... Monet got angry, Theresa became pregnant with a dupe which was absorbed my Jaimie the moment he held it... sad and sick...

We at BatWatch (meaning me) aim to disturb people as much as possible. You are welcome.

Yeah, I don't get how he can conceive a dupe. Care to elaborate on that one? That seems like just a middle finger to the fans from what I can tell. And I bet Theresa was only pregnant for nine months real time even though everybody else ages much, much slower. I hate that stuff.

#16 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio

@BatWatch said:

@Timandm said:

We at BatWatch (meaning me) aim to disturb people as much as possible. You are welcome.

Yeah, I don't get how he can conceive a dupe. Care to elaborate on that one? That seems like just a middle finger to the fans from what I can tell. And I bet Theresa was only pregnant for nine months real time even though everybody else ages much, much slower. I hate that stuff.

EXACTLY... As far as I can tell, Five years of real time equals one year of Marvel time. Now, in that one year much more than one years worth of events can occur. I'm going to check it out, but at the end of New Avengers (vol 2 issue 34) Dr. Strange explains how, "Last year Jerico Drumm threatened revenge..." Well, I couldn't help but think, "Last year? But that happened right before Fear Itself...Which happened before Children's Crusade... Which happened before Spider-Island... Which happened before Schism... Which happened before The Return of The Human Torch...Which happened before A v X...

DAYUM! That's quite a year!!!!

And, yes, Theresa was pregnant and gave birth in about 9 months 'real time' which means her pregnancy lasted about 4 1/2 weeks... (seriously, I did the math using 5 years marvel time being 1 year of real time) Maybe she's part feline or rodent... One of the reasons we use rodents in research is that the breed so quickly...

And how did she give birth to a dupe. Why it's so simple! First, we throw off all constraints of reality. Curse you, Reality! AND your Iron Grip!" Next, you completely ignore the fact that conception requires that HALF THE FREAKING DNA COMES FROM EACH PARENT... Um.. OH, it's so obvious now. The DNA in his sperm, killed off all the DNA in her egg and then just doubled itself... and..um...yeah... makes perfect sense...

#17 Posted by BatWatch (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Timandm:

Wow! I was hoping there would be some sort of justification for that nonsense, but from what you say, it was just nonsense. Lame. Respect for X-Factor = -10.

#18 Posted by Outside_85 (8525 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArticulateT said:

Appeared out of nowhere (or rather Johns leaning on the cartoon...where it didnt make any sense either), never went anywhere, provided nothing for either character and hopefully will never be seen again.

#19 Posted by Wolfrazer (6350 posts) - - Show Bio
@Outside_85 said:

@ArticulateT said:

Appeared out of nowhere (or rather Johns leaning on the cartoon...where it didnt make any sense either), never went anywhere, provided nothing for either character and hopefully will never be seen again.

Agreed, much prefer BBxTerra.
#20 Posted by ArticulateT (189 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wolfrazer said:

@Outside_85 said:

@ArticulateT said:

Agreed, much prefer BBxTerra.

Ah, I see. Still, makes me wonder what they have planned for Raven in New 52. I haven't seen much of her outside of the Phantom Stranger (which caught me by surprise, the whole offering to Trigon bit. Then again, PS's reboot wasn't too liked, I hear)

#21 Posted by Outside_85 (8525 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArticulateT: It's gotten better since Didio (the main cause of the dislike for the book) has gotten co-writer and the result is already improved. If you don't know, she was just seen again in TT 16.