#1 Posted by WillPayton (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

USS Nimitz Carrier Group

vs

North Korea

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People's_Army

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People%27s_Navy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_People%27s_Air_Force

Both North Korea and the Nimitz Carrier Group (in the Pacific Ocean) lose contact with the rest of the world. They attribute this to war breaking out, and each side believes they are left alone with no help and facing the other in total war. Each side still has access to their satellites for targeting purposes, etc. Both sides can and will use all weapons available to them. Win by either total destruction or surrender. ("Total Destruction" for this means at least 80% of military forces destroyed)

N. Korea initially knows where the Nimitz Group is within 100 mile grid square. Nimitz of course has accurate mapping of N. Korea.

Nimitz group starts 2,000 miles distance from N. Korea.

Who wins?

#2 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Nimitz.

Any single battlegroup of the US would ruin any other world military. Assuming morals were off.

#3 Posted by WillPayton (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

No one else? Come on folks!

#4 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't Norks have, y'know, nukes?

Also, shouldn't it be in battle threads?

#5 Posted by WillPayton (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

Don't Norks have, y'know, nukes?

Also, shouldn't it be in battle threads?

I was going to put it in the battles thread, but the rules say a battle has to have at least one comic book character. If I could put it there and not get a mod pissed at me I would.

Yes, N.Korea has nukes, but no good missiles to deliver them AFAIK. They first need to find the group, then send over the nuke on a plane (or missile if they have a good one at all). So, probably a plane... which has to get through the groups radar and air defenses.

#6 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Well okay then. I'm calling it a draw. North Koreans have poor and outdated Air Force and Navy and Nimitz can basically dominated the seas and air and bomb them with impunity. But that's about all it can do. Without putting boots on the ground there's no way they can dislodge the troops from the well entrenched and fortified positions they've been making for the last 60 years and so no way to fulfill the objective of destroying 80% of their army.

#7 Posted by WillPayton (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

Well okay then. I'm calling it a draw. North Koreans have poor and outdated Air Force and Navy and Nimitz can basically dominated the seas and air and bomb them with impunity. But that's about all it can do. Without putting boots on the ground there's no way they can dislodge the troops from the well entrenched and fortified positions they've been making for the last 60 years and so no way to fulfill the objective of destroying 80% of their army.

They can also win by causing N.Korea to surrender.

#8 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: We're talking 'bout North Korea here. The only way they'll surrender to anyone is if the Dear Leader himself rises from the grave and tells them to do so.

#9 Posted by WillPayton (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

@WillPayton: We're talking 'bout North Korea here. The only way they'll surrender to anyone is if the Dear Leader himself rises from the grave and tells them to do so.

True enough they're a hardcase. But, I was specifically thinking that Nimitz can just start nuking cities and large military installations. I think that'd get a reaction.

#10 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

Does Nimitz even have nukes?

#11 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@AtPhantom said:

The Nimitz itself does not. The armaments of the carrier groups I believe are classified.

Also the North Koreans can't hit the Nimitiz carrier group. Their missiles are too out of date.

#12 Posted by WillPayton (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@AtPhantom said:

The Nimitz itself does not. The armaments of the carrier groups I believe are classified.

Also the North Koreans can't hit the Nimitiz carrier group. Their missiles are too out of date.

Classified... but I'm sure they have nuclear cruise missiles, and maybe other types. It would really, really surprise me if they dont have a good number of nukes.

#13 Posted by WillPayton (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@AtPhantom said:

But even if in reality they dont, we should assume they do for this battle because otherwise this is too difficult for Nimitz group.

#14 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: In reality they wouldn't need it, there are conventional weapons now that are just as powerful as the first atom bombs. Nimitz battlegroup would ruin the North Koreans. For all their gusto, the only thing really protecting the North Koreans from being overthrown is the Chinese.

#15 Posted by WillPayton (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@WillPayton: In reality they wouldn't need it, there are conventional weapons now that are just as powerful as the first atom bombs. Nimitz battlegroup would ruin the North Koreans. For all their gusto, the only thing really protecting the North Koreans from being overthrown is the Chinese.

Two things actually, the Chinese, but also the threat of retaliation with one or more of those nukes. They dont have a missile delivery system to hit us, but they can deliver them through other more conventional ways.

#16 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton: The North Korean fleet wouldn't be able to field ships in the ocean if the Nimitz battle group didn't want them to. In the scenario, Nimitz stomps.

#17 Posted by WillPayton (9191 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar said:

@WillPayton: The North Korean fleet wouldn't be able to field ships in the ocean if the Nimitz battle group didn't want them to. In the scenario, Nimitz stomps.

Even if you consider that the Koreans can throw all their ships and aircraft at them at once? I mean, they do have some quality stuff like Mig-29's, and sheer numbers alone will help them.

#18 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@WillPayton said:

@TheCrowbar said:

Even if you consider that the Koreans can throw all their ships and aircraft at them at once? I mean, they do have some quality stuff like Mig-29's, and sheer numbers alone will help them.

That's cool the Nimitz battlegroup is massive. One of our battlegroups is the size of the next largest nation's navy.