• 55 results
WJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By WJ

I've noticed that a lot of users tend to underrate a prepped Batman on ComicVine. On the other hand I do agree that Batman is overrated - Only in thread battles where he has no prep, which seemed pretty common nowadays.

Example: See an earlier thread pitting him against Spiderman's rogues gallery - http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/can-batman-with-prep-solo-spidermans-rogues-galler-1615455/

Many still think that Batman can't take that fight when he has shown that he can take out planetary-level threats by himself, given sufficient prep.

During my lurking on the forums here, didn't a lot of Comicvine users said that the likes of Thor/Wonder Woman has no visible weaknesses that Batman can exploit, therefore Batman will always lose against them? Guess what? Batman #35 shows the Justice Buster suit where Batman outwits and overcomes Wonder Woman! This proved that Batman with prep is really underestimated both outside and in-universe. So yes, I believe Batman can eventually find a way against Darkseid, if they were ever to face off, or in the case of battles on CV, I'd put my vote for Batman in a Batman vs Thor fight.

So do you agree that Batman with prep is underrated? And do you agree that Batman without prep (i.e.: random encounter battles) is overrated? Come and discuss!

Atoms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Atoms

@wj: Batman with prep is overrated.

No Caption Provided

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Look, the real thing is, Batman is...he's weird. He does a lot of things that he just simply shouldn't be able to do. I don't care what armor you're packing, no human should be challenging Darkseid. It's just a thing I don't think should happen. Likewise, I kind of think that Justice Buster suit is a bit BS. I mean, you're telling me he designed a suit that can catch The Flash even if he can't see it? Really? Tony Stark called, and said he wants his gimmick back.

The thing is, people put Batman with Prep against people he wouldn't be with Prep anyway. Batman can have a years worth of prep, and he should still get dominated by Powerhouses like Thor, Superman, and yes, even Wonder Woman. But then there would be no point to beating Batman for characters like that because at the end of the day, he is just a man. It does more for Batman to beat these characters so it happens.

Batman with prep, I think, is rated probably as best as he ever could be right now. Sufficient prep for Batman to stop a planetary threat, in my opinion, amounts to a plot-induced victory. Now, if it's to stop a city, or potentially a national level threat, that I could buy for Batman.

Now, take what I just said with a grain of salt. I don't hide that I'm not the biggest fan of Bruces' Batman, so I wouldn't be shocked if this came off as bias. However, I feel that Batman as a character has brought that kind of scrutiny on himself.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman simply does ridiculous stuff with prep. Like fighting Darkseid, and the justice buster suit, and stuff like that. So its kind of weird that people think he can't take some spiderman rogues.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Transformers1024

I like how the OP's name is WJ which is just an abbreviation of WenjunChew. The almighty Bat-Wanker.

WJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like how the OP's name is WJ which is just an abbreviation of WenjunChew. The almighty Bat-Wanker.

An abbreviation of WenjunChew, whatever that word is... would be WC, not WJ.

@scouterv said:

Look, the real thing is, Batman is...he's weird. He does a lot of things that he just simply shouldn't be able to do. I don't care what armor you're packing, no human should be challenging Darkseid. It's just a thing I don't think should happen. Likewise, I kind of think that Justice Buster suit is a bit BS. I mean, you're telling me he designed a suit that can catch The Flash even if he can't see it? Really? Tony Stark called, and said he wants his gimmick back.

The thing is, people put Batman with Prep against people he wouldn't be with Prep anyway. Batman can have a years worth of prep, and he should still get dominated by Powerhouses like Thor, Superman, and yes, even Wonder Woman. But then there would be no point to beating Batman for characters like that because at the end of the day, he is just a man. It does more for Batman to beat these characters so it happens.

Batman with prep, I think, is rated probably as best as he ever could be right now. Sufficient prep for Batman to stop a planetary threat, in my opinion, amounts to a plot-induced victory. Now, if it's to stop a city, or potentially a national level threat, that I could buy for Batman.

Now, take what I just said with a grain of salt. I don't hide that I'm not the biggest fan of Bruces' Batman, so I wouldn't be shocked if this came off as bias. However, I feel that Batman as a character has brought that kind of scrutiny on himself.

Well, comic and real life don't follow the same logic.

Hence, battles focused on feats and logical extension of those feats.

For Batman's feats, it proved that he can always find a way against unaware opponents or opponents who underestimate him.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ariesxmasters

Batman + Prep = Automatic win. No ands, if's or but's about it. He's Batman. The sooner you accept the better.

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GreatCaesarsGhost
No Caption Provided

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wj said:

@transformers1024 said:

An abbreviation of WenjunChew, whatever that word is... would be WC, not WJ.

@scouterv said:

Well, comic and real life don't follow the same logic.

Hence, battles focused on feats and logical extension of those feats.

For Batman's feats, it proved that he can always find a way against unaware opponents or opponents who underestimate him.

And logic tells me, Superman and Wonder Woman should never lose to Batman. Like...ever.

But that's why we have plot devices. To make sure that even Comic Book logic isn't totally concrete.

reaverlation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree

Avatar image for deathpoolthet1000
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

No Caption Provided

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is the first thread I've ever seen about Batman being underrated.

What happened to the good old days when Batman had a chance against TOAA and Presence with prep?

Darryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mysticmedivh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By mysticmedivh
Darryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

WJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: depends on how one defines battles on CV rules here.

My interpretation of rules here is that plot devices are part of feats and thus is legitimately used.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Darryl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Darryl
WJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By WJ

@mysticmedivh said:

@darryl said:

I'm not kidding. Some people thought that Batman with prep could defeat the Presence.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/prep-god-vs-god-yes-its-exactly-what-you-think-it--659487/

No Caption Provided

This is ridiculous.

I see threads like Superman vs Galactus, Squirrel Girl vs God, Doomsday vs Living Tribunal, etc etc and nobody complained about that. Batman vs God is just like those threads, there's clearly double standards against Batman here.

Also, no sane fan would actually claim that Batman can beat God.

Avatar image for deactivated-63665f9fbd262
deactivated-63665f9fbd262

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wj said:

@deathpoolthet1000 said:

@mysticmedivh said:

@darryl said:

I'm not kidding. Some people thought that Batman with prep could defeat the Presence.

http://www.comicvine.com/forums/battles-7/prep-god-vs-god-yes-its-exactly-what-you-think-it--659487/

No Caption Provided

This is ridiculous.

I see threads like Superman vs Galactus, Squirrel Girl vs God, Doomsday vs Living Tribunal, etc etc and nobody complained about that. Batman vs God is just like those threads, there's clearly double standards against Batman here.

Also, no sane fan would actually claim that Batman can beat God.

No Caption Provided

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wj: Galactus is a Cosmic Entity.

Squirrel Girl is a running joke, (and if you haven't seen people complaining about her, you're not paying much attention.)

God is...well God.

Superman is...well, Superman.

Doomsday is the thing that "killed" the Superman.

Tribunal is another cosmic entity.

Batman is a man in a suit.

One of these things is not like the others. Can you guess which one?

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wj: Not everyone simply relies on feats. We also use our intellect to determine situations.
It's why you wouldn't just say Batman can beat Superman. You would have to clarify that Batman needs prep.

My intellect tells me that if he really wanted to, Superman would crush Batman. Easily. Probably with Prep depending on the amount of time.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

More overrated than underrated. Batman's Prep doesn't matter against a guy who can level the city and batman with it..

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wj said:

My interpretation of rules here is that plot devices are part of feats and thus is legitimately used.

plot devices are not arguments used in comicvine because of comic convenience and how it makes characters stupid.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@wj: Galactus is a Cosmic Entity.

Squirrel Girl is a running joke, (and if you haven't seen people complaining about her, you're not paying much attention.)

God is...well God.

Superman is...well, Superman.

Doomsday is the thing that "killed" the Superman.

Tribunal is another cosmic entity.

Batman is a man in a suit.

One of these things is not like the others. Can you guess which one?

Squirrel Girl is a female!!!

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

He's back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: Are we 100% that Doomsday is male? I've never thought about it before.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@deathpoolthet1000: Are we 100% that Doomsday is male? I've never thought about it before.

He use boxers so he must be a man.

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@deathpoolthet1000: But he's not wearing a lot of clothing.

Like a large number of Female Super characters.

DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv said:

@deathpoolthet1000: But he's not wearing a lot of clothing.

Like a large number of Female Super characters.

No Caption Provided

Has muscles, thing that female weirdly have in comic books and is topless thing that most of women never do in comic book, at least DC and Marvel.

Also it has Angelina Jolie hands and hairy chest and legs.

Too unsexy for comic book female.

WJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees said:
@wj said:

plot devices are not arguments used in comicvine because of comic convenience and how it makes characters stupid.

Yet I see people have no problem for Doctor Doom when he majorly uses plot devices to win.

Doctor Doom is actually more overrated than Batman in that aspect.

If plot-based arguments are not valid arguments in the rules, then arguments in favour of Doctor Doom should not include plot-based arguments too.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wj: dr doom does have the frequency of those high end feats as opposed to batman's prep work , which tends to focus on exploiting the character's obvious weakness or bargaining.

so no, as much as you think the other one is overrated, that other one is a whole lot acceptable here that people don't turn it into a joke reply

Night4345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Again with these threads?

WJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: It doesn't change the fact that Doctor Doom's feats are either mostly plot-based (trick the opponent, pulls out an anti-opponent magic spell, steal the opponent's powers, etc etc) or plain PIS (stealing Beyonder and other omniscient/omnipotent's powers).

Yes, Doctor Doom has better feats than Batman does and those feats are more frequent too, I don't doubt that. All I'm pointing out here is that people ignore Batman's feats on the basis that its "PIS" or "plot-based" while Doctor Doom's feats can be classified as "PIS" and "plot-based" too but those feats are not ignored.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By kyrees

@wj: yes it does because of the sheer frequency, are you the one who you'd think PIS happens in all of those instances ? you gotta give credit to it, unlike batman who doesn't really pull off from being called PIS king because of how convenient it is in his scenarios.

calling it as it is useless when the batman hasn't gone up to what doom does

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for earthsmightiest
EarthsMightiest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By EarthsMightiest
No Caption Provided

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By regiebravo

@wj: finally, I'm glad someone realized that Batman is better than Doom in prep.

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Batman is fuc*ing awesome. Fu*k you guys.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

Avatar image for greatcaesarsghost
GreatCaesarsGhost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#44  Edited By godzilla44
DeathpooltheT1000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

fv5v7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By fv5v7

batman +5 year to prep+superhuman tech>> galactus and superboy prime

batman +10 year to prep+all tech in dc universe>> spectre and bat mite

batman +24 hour to prep>thor without hammer

batman + 1 hour to prep>joker

Avatar image for ultrastarkiller
ULTRAstarkiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

It is underrated.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DBVSE7

Prep in general is such a one dimensional plot device.. no duh it's going to work all the time in a debate..

There's no effort to argue with it and no point in arguing against it unless both characters in the battle have feats using prep.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

yep especially when compared to other much worse offenders