#1 Posted by Dm225 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

I picked up both series last month but really only have room on my pull list for one of them. I'm leaning more towards Superman Unchained but wanted some other opinions.

Here's my pull list for reference.

#2 Posted by tensor (4342 posts) - - Show Bio

Too early to call , so far they are both good.

#3 Posted by jeanespinosa21 (217 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean after only one issue its impossible to tell. If it was me though i would have superman unchained better because i really dislike the art work on batman/superman

#4 Edited by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved the art on both, but since Jim Lee is the master I'd say Superman Unchained

#5 Edited by sinestro_GL (3152 posts) - - Show Bio

After one issue? Pretty tough to say since they're still setting up the story.

#6 Posted by The_Tree (7464 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman/Superman. Better art, better/more interesting story.

#7 Posted by Dm225 (298 posts) - - Show Bio

I understand both have only had one issue so it's hard to gauge how good they'll be but their are other factors that can be used to predict it like artists/writers/characters/etc.

#8 Posted by flazam (2496 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't enjoy Batman/Superman

#9 Posted by Lvenger (19918 posts) - - Show Bio

@dm225: It's too early to call it but based on first issue preference, mine goes to Superman Unchained. Batman/Superman has some flaws in it that detracted from the story.

#10 Posted by Wolverine08 (42239 posts) - - Show Bio

@flazam said:

I didn't enjoy Batman/Superman

Same here. The art was ugly.

#11 Posted by hart7668 (2294 posts) - - Show Bio

Imma go with Unchained because the last page really has me asking some questions....

#12 Posted by Squalleon (4610 posts) - - Show Bio

I would choose Superman Unchained.
Because i didn't liked Batman/Superman 1 and my problems were with the story not the art.

#13 Posted by SmashBrawler (5732 posts) - - Show Bio
@the_tree said:

Batman/Superman. Better art, better/more interesting story.

#14 Posted by Lvenger (19918 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_tree: @smashbrawler: Just out of curioisty, what did you two think of the dimensional shift that took place mid battle? For me it was a bit jarring and ruined the flow of the story by changing things up a bit too suddenly and much for me.

#15 Edited by SmashBrawler (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: I'm probably one of the few people who didn't have a problem with it, and that may be because of two things:

1. I had zero issues reading Grant Morrison's Action Comics run, including the trippy last arc, so I guess I generally don't have a problem with stuff like this.
  2. I read the solicits and E2 Superman and Batman are featured in the cover for issue 2 so as soon as I saw Batman I knew where E0 Superman was right away.
#16 Posted by AllStarSuperman (21865 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually liked batman/superman more. When I first opened it the art made me want to barf! But it really grew on me. And since I really like earth 2, I'm gonna enjoy were the story is going.

Superman Unchained is another story. The art was good not great. Superman looked better in justice league. And I found the story kinda offensive about nagasaki.

#17 Posted by Lvenger (19918 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler:

1. Same here. I did like Morrison's Action Comics run so I suppose finding this trippy is a bit weird.
  2. I knew E2 Superman and Batman were showing up at some point. It just interrupted the fight to move the plot on elsewhere in a forced manner.
#18 Posted by SmashBrawler (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: The only thing that felt forced to me was Catwoman (seriously, what was that all about?). Moving them to Earth 2 didn't really feel forced to me since I have no idea what this "Trickster" (real original name there) plans to do, therefore I'm just rolling with the story for now.

#19 Posted by TheIncredibleSuperHulk8642 (1992 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman Unchained if you really want too read Pak with Superman wait for him to jump on Action

#20 Posted by batmannflash (6219 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman/Superman. But you can't go wrong with either

#21 Posted by Lvenger (19918 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler: Yeah Catwoman was odd too. I guess the MO of the Trickster is to possess certain characters and pit them against Superman and Batman maybe? The Earth 2 jump happened suddenly for me so I wasn't expecting it.

#22 Posted by SmashBrawler (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Well, I see what you're saying but like I said I had no issues with that moment.

Snyder's story is promising but I'm not a big fan of his current Batman run (Zero Year has been good so far though) so I have a little more faith on Pak for now. Also, I felt that Jim Lee's art was pretty average and unimpressive for the most part compared to Jae Lee's and Ben Oliver's.

#23 Posted by Lvenger (19918 posts) - - Show Bio

@smashbrawler: Fair enough. I didn't like the start of Zero Year if I'm honest. Gotham somehow turned into New York from I Am Legend. And Death of the Family was a mess.

#24 Edited by The Stegman (24384 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Superman Unchained more because the last few pages of Batman/Superman left me confused, and I hate being confused and having to wait a month to get more answers.

#25 Posted by toptom (1177 posts) - - Show Bio

this choice is on the same level : what hand you have to cut to survive?

if you really have to do that ...steal one copy from your bookstore! (..you can even download one of them..)

#26 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman/Batman, It's to early though, i am saying this on the first impression.

#27 Posted by The_Tree (7464 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: The only thing that felt forced to me was Catwoman (seriously, what was that all about?). Moving them to Earth 2 didn't really feel forced to me since I have no idea what this "Trickster" (real original name there) plans to do, therefore I'm just rolling with the story for now.

Agreed on the Catwoman part.

I wasn't left confused or feeling like the story had been interrupted. For me, there was a tone of confusion almost from the beginning with the Superman/Batman fight. I felt that the transport kept up that tone, but also furthered the conflict between the two characters. I knew what was going on as soon as I saw Earth-2 Batman's outfit. Cliffhangers are a natural part of comics as well, they want to make you ask yourself questions, so you come back next month looking for answers.

I don't know how people don't like Jae Lee's art either. My only complaint would be that Lee isn't using very many solid lines like he did with past works like The Sentry, he's got a more soft and gentle look now, but that's just how he's been currently. It's still beautiful.

I thought Superman Unchained was pretty "meh". I wasn't all too interested until Lex came on the scene, and Jim Lee was not giving it his all. Scott Snyder just doesn't really do it for me. I may sound too sensitive, but changing such a big event in history really didn't sit right with me either.

#28 Edited by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

I would go with Unchained. Superman is desperately in need of a quality solo book, and Batman/Superman stories have been done to death.

#29 Posted by SmashBrawler (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

@lvenger: Since we haven't seen the context of what happened to Gotham I wouldn't be so quick to judge it. But now we're getting out of topic.

@the_tree: Agreed on all points. I used to really like Snyder's stuff, and I still kinda do, but his current Batman work is just not doing it for me. Still love his 'Tec and Swamp Thing runs, though. And yeah, that Nagasaki scene was a little... odd. Wasn't much of a fan of it either. I guess it makes some sense since it's set in a universe of superheroes but... yeah.

#30 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder's story is promising but I'm not a big fan of his current Batman run (Zero Year has been good so far though) so I have a little more faith on Pak for now.

I felt Batman Inc. #8 really stole DotF's thunder when it came to setting the status quo for things. It almost seems like it would have made more sense to do Zero Year following the Court of Owls story, because the ramifications of DotF are almost nonexistent now.

#31 Edited by SmashBrawler (5732 posts) - - Show Bio

@reignmaker said:

@smashbrawler said:

Snyder's story is promising but I'm not a big fan of his current Batman run (Zero Year has been good so far though) so I have a little more faith on Pak for now.

I felt Batman Inc. #8 really stole DotF's thunder when it came to setting the status quo for things. It almost seems like it would have made more sense to do Zero Year following the Court of Owls story, because the ramifications of DotF are almost nonexistent now.

Well, I didn't feel like DOTF had any ramifications anyway :P

#32 Edited by Onemoreposter (4049 posts) - - Show Bio

Superman/Batman by far. The artwork was beautiful and I loved the twist at the end, especially when it got a little emotional for Clark seeing someone he hadn't seen in a longgg time.........

Also, the set up to Superman/Batman gave me goosebumps when Bruce is sitting on that bench looking at the kids and says "do it."

#33 Posted by TDK_1997 (14896 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the first issue of Batman/Superman more.So that book gets my vote.