Batman runs DC

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

Do you think DC would even be rivaling Marvel, if Batman didn´t exist?

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Why does it matter? DC has Batman and Superman, Wonder Woman, Flash, GL, Aquaman and others.

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Yes but saying there are others doesen´t answer my question.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

No, but I also don't think DC would be rivaling Marvel if Superman didn't exist, or the Teen Titans or any other book that has been popular through the ages and allowed DC to survive all this time.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

Marvel wouldn't have existed without the help of Batman and Superman. If Marvel hadn't emerged with Spiderman, Fantastic Four and The Hulk then we wouldn't have had the industry today. Same with the films, Batman and Superman made it possible for superheroes to appear on films.

Yes I see what your saying. But Batman can also be a lone franchise, he's worth a billion +, just his merchandise alone sells like hotcakes. I honestly think DC could still rival Marvel without Batman even with just Superman (after all he was once the biggest hero in the world.) But Batman is important to the medium of comics and to DC, so yes and no.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lyrafay: Just seeing that when you ask about iconic superman comics, you get Frank Morrisons stuff and not much else, whilst in Batman: TDK returns, year one, Long Halloween, Arkham Asylum, the list goes on...

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thecowwasdelirious: Kingdom Come, Red Son, The man who has everything, All Star Superman, Superman: Birthright.....Superman has got some amazing stories. Each explore him just as well as those Batman stories.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MonsterStomp

Its hard for me to imagine DC without Batman. So, no.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC was also formed before Marvel (before it came Marvel, it was previously Atlas and Timely). It was Marvel that had to compete with DC before and throughout their history they switch positions of whose big at the time (Marvel is now but we should never count out DC). But Batman is transcendence across companies (I'm paraphasing a quote from Greg Capullo here.) He's bigger than comics but he's still big in comics (he always has the biggest selling title.)

Avatar image for oosupermanthathoeoo
oOSupermanThatHoeOo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being that DC pioneered the comics industry, one would assume that without their two OG's they'd have still created a set of characters whom would be equally as beloved, well written, and respected. So, without Batman and Superman we're left free to speculate as to the nature of these characters. But still, JL is measurably cooler than alot of Marvels teamups. And @thecowwasdelirious there are plenty of amazing superman stories, broaden your horizons.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy: Yes but saying there are others doesen´t answer my question.

Can Marvel rival DC if either X-Men or Avengers didn't exist? If Spider-Man didn't exist I don't think Marvel would be as popular as they are now. This is not a fair match, its like taking away Green Lantern's ring and making him fight Sinestro.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Historically? Sure. DC is in many ways, responsible for Marvel's existence. Right now though, without Batman, DC would even further behind. People complain about the number of Bat-books, but they buy most of them. Was thinking the other day, want to know how old am? I'm so old I can remember when DC only had 2 Batman books!

ChildoftheAtom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was there ever any doubt?

NukeA6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DC could do well without Batman if they stopped relying on the franchise and did their job to make their other characters get the spotlight but they make such stupid decisions rely on just one character to save their business. They're at least trying in the tv show department but the mess they're planning for the Man of Steel sequel is gonna put major hurt on them if it fails.