• 75 results
goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By goldenkey

I'm sure someone on here will be a pal an upload a picture of Jim Lee's Batman and Michael Turner's Batman for me.  I personally think these are the two best Batman artists but the big differance is the ears.  I prefer the long ears.  What are your takes.
SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By SpidermanWins

Michael Turner
 Michael Turner
I think this should be in a batman forum sir. Anyway, I prefer long ears. It's a sharper look. I actually don't mind Jim's Bruce, I just don't really like it when my Batman comic to look like he has no ears and you think you are reading a Midnighter comic. The ears on the image above, however, are a bit too long for my taste. Here are the images you asked for.
Jim Lee
Jim Lee
the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

long ears are more aesthetically pleasing, makes him look more like a bat

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By cascadeking09

Short ears look cooler.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#5  Edited By Dracade102

Long ears. slaughterhouse.
Amazingoctus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Amazingoctus

I'll go with the long ears. He could stab the other one with them.
Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#7  Edited By Mercy_

Not a battle and I'm fairly certain this has been done.

Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Amegashita

As my good friend, Silkcuts, has told me before.  The shorter ears on Jim Lee's Batman is a phallic issue, and it exemplifies Jim's insecurity, and as an offset, Batman's insecurity.  The longer ears show's more confidence on a psychological level.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Short ears.

Mr. Dead Pool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#10  Edited By Mr. Dead Pool

I like how the long ears. About how they did them in Arkham Asylum.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By goldenkey
@Amegashita
really?  maybe Silkcuts dresses up as Robin and dreams of getting tickled by a man name Bruce.  Maybe Jim Lee just likes shorter ears like some people.  Maybe this is just stupid conversation written in a stupid forum by someone who was bored.  Maybe that person read Hush, and Girl from Krypton and thought Jim Lee and Michael Turner draw what he thinks are the best illustrations of Batman and was just curious what other people thought.  Maybe Jim Lee is insecure, he's Asian and you know the rumor about Asians.  Maybe shouldn't look into stupid shit and try to figure out people that they don't know.  I'd guess Jim Lee makes enough money to order a hooker and have her call him King Kong to get over his issues.
goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By goldenkey
@SpidermanWins

thanx, I knew I could coun't on you.
Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#13  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Dracade102 said:
to put it mildly.
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By Erik

Short ears Batman does not have to worry about doorways catching his head, Short wins.

Oh and this is not a battle.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By nefarious

Not a battle as it has been specified. 

The long ears look weird.  
The short ears look much much better, IMO.

Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
.Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Short, the long look... stupid

Moved to Gen Discussion.

Rudyftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rudyftw
@goldenkey said:
@Amegashita: really?  maybe Silkcuts dresses up as Robin and dreams of getting tickled by a man name Bruce.  Maybe Jim Lee just likes shorter ears like some people.  Maybe this is just stupid conversation written in a stupid forum by someone who was bored.  Maybe that person read Hush, and Girl from Krypton and thought Jim Lee and Michael Turner draw what he thinks are the best illustrations of Batman and was just curious what other people thought.  Maybe Jim Lee is insecure, he's Asian and you know the rumor about Asians.  Maybe shouldn't look into stupid shit and try to figure out people that they don't know.  I'd guess Jim Lee makes enough money to order a hooker and have her call him King Kong to get over his issues.
Awesome. 
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Amegashita
@goldenkey:  Congratulations, you looked at a benign response and took it hostilely.  For what reason?  There is no logical reason to do such a thing.  It's good that you see things so simply,  I applaud your simplicity, but there's no reason for you to go insulting people that you yourself don't know.  Instead of calling people out for no reason, you should ask why a person thinks what they do.  With a literary medium such as comics, there is the saying that, there is a reason for everything.  If in a book, the author takes the time to describe an elf's ears as short, there is a reason, and there is nothing wrong with trying to find what that reason is.  It's a literary medium where everyone takes from it what they take from it.  So, I reiterate, there's no logical reason for you to do what you did unless you had the complete intent in trying to make me feel stupid.  It didn't work.  Go on with you simple view of comics, your entitled to it, but just because people like Silkcuts try and look for a why to everything, don't sit there and purposely try and take anything away from them.  It's just a stupid thing to do.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#19  Edited By Billy Batson

I'm in the middle...both.

BB

Kairan1979

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

#20  Edited By Kairan1979

I think long ears only work for Batman Beyond.

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cascadeking09
@Kairan1979: yeah.
gravitypress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By gravitypress

Short

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1828448d5f0
deactivated-5d1828448d5f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 21

long ears ftw!

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By difficlus
@SpidermanWins said:

Michael Turner
 Michael Turner
I think this should be in a batman forum sir. Anyway, I prefer long ears. It's a sharper look. I actually don't mind Jim's Bruce, I just don't really like it when my Batman comic to look like he has no ears and you think you are reading a Midnighter comic. The ears on the image above, however, are a bit too long for my taste. Here are the images you asked for.
Jim Lee
Jim Lee
first scan: ears are too long 
Second: too short. 

Prefer him when Micheal turner drew him.
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Aronmorales

Long, but not too long, then it's perfect; try cutting Michael Turner's ears in half then put the point there.

SpidermanWins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By SpidermanWins
@difficlus said:
@SpidermanWins said:

Michael Turner
 Michael Turner
Jim Lee
Jim Lee
first scan: ears are too long Second: too short.  Prefer him when Micheal turner drew him.
Can't win can you? lol
goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By goldenkey
@Amegashita
I was not trying to make you feel stupid, I was trying to say that your friend Silkcuts assumtion is ridiculous.  It reminds of those stories about Batman and Robin being gay back in the day and that's why Robin was drawn the way he was.  It's all ridiculous.  It's like hearing Sigmund freud,( how ever the hell you spell it) saying that every males problem comes down to them wanting to fuck their mothers and they hate them for it.   Maybe Jim Lee wants a bigger penis so he can hold it out at his mother and say, "Hey MOM, what do you think?"
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Amegashita
@goldenkey:  But that's what it felt like to me, and a person's own perception of another's actions is the correct perception to them.  Silk's statement is an analysis, and like I said it before, it's his own personal analysis on the subject, therefore it's correct in his eyes.  Who are you to say that how a person views an idea is ridiculous?  No one.  IN fact, instead of calling his psychological perspective of the view ridiculous, you should try and find a different perspective of the idea.  Cause, from what I'm seeing, Silk is actually seeing comic book art as things more than pretty pictures.  He's looking at them as a whole, and then he's trying to interpret how they reflect the artist themselves.  On another note, Sigmund Freud has never said, at one point that all males problems come down to wanting to lay with their mothers.  He specifically coined a syndrome called, the Oedipus Syndrome, based on the Greek Tragedy by Sophocles, Oedipus Rex, where he states that men who hate the fathers but love their mothers are most likely like this because of the desire to be with their mom and they're jealous of their father's relationship with their mother.  

On another note, watch the language.  You're usage of curse words is unsavory especially since children come to this site to learn about comics.
fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#29  Edited By fodigg

Short.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Amegashita said:
@goldenkey:  But that's what it felt like to me, and a person's own perception of another's actions is the correct perception to them.  Silk's statement is an analysis, and like I said it before, it's his own personal analysis on the subject, therefore it's correct in his eyes.  Who are you to say that how a person views an idea is ridiculous?  No one.  IN fact, instead of calling his psychological perspective of the view ridiculous, you should try and find a different perspective of the idea.  Cause, from what I'm seeing, Silk is actually seeing comic book art as things more than pretty pictures.  He's looking at them as a whole, and then he's trying to interpret how they reflect the artist themselves.  On another note, Sigmund Freud has never said, at one point that all males problems come down to wanting to lay with their mothers.  He specifically coined a syndrome called, the Oedipus Syndrome, based on the Greek Tragedy by Sophocles, Oedipus Rex, where he states that men who hate the fathers but love their mothers are most likely like this because of the desire to be with their mom and they're jealous of their father's relationship with their mother.     On another note, watch the language.  You're usage of curse words is unsavory especially since children come to this site to learn about comics.
Vas ist das????
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 730

#31  Edited By Silkcuts
@Amegashita said: 
@goldenkey:  Congratulations, you looked at a benign response and took it hostilely.  For what reason?  There is no logical reason to do such a thing.  It's good that you see things so simply,  I applaud your simplicity, but there's no reason for you to go insulting people that you yourself don't know.  Instead of calling people out for no reason, you should ask why a person thinks what they do.  With a literary medium such as comics, there is the saying that, there is a reason for everything.  If in a book, the author takes the time to describe an elf's ears as short, there is a reason, and there is nothing wrong with trying to find what that reason is.  It's a literary medium where everyone takes from it what they take from it.  So, I reiterate, there's no logical reason for you to do what you did unless you had the complete intent in trying to make me feel stupid.  It didn't work.  Go on with you simple view of comics, your entitled to it, but just because people like Silkcuts try and look for a why to everything, don't sit there and purposely try and take anything away from them.  It's just a stupid thing to do.
Cheers mate
^_^
Good to know my mates defend my honor.
@goldenkey said:
@Amegashita: really?  maybe Silkcuts dresses up as Robin and dreams of getting tickled by a man name Bruce.  Maybe Jim Lee just likes shorter ears like some people.  Maybe this is just stupid conversation written in a stupid forum by someone who was bored.  Maybe that person read Hush, and Girl from Krypton and thought Jim Lee and Michael Turner draw what he thinks are the best illustrations of Batman and was just curious what other people thought.  Maybe Jim Lee is insecure, he's Asian and you know the rumor about Asians.  Maybe shouldn't look into stupid shit and try to figure out people that they don't know.  I'd guess Jim Lee makes enough money to order a hooker and have her call him King Kong to get over his issues.
As for my "phallic" ears theory.  I do believe it to be true that the artist can use the ears as a form of intimation.  This is why Kelley Jones has such a demonic and elongated set of ears on his Batman. His batman attacks the mind and many men, lets face it "don't measure up" and constantly compare.... "Ego".. yeah we will call it ego.  Jim Lee is one of the mainstream's biggest names and of course his Batman has to be accessible and we wouldn't want the mainstream men who read comics to think they "don't measure up".  Below I have added Turok's example from the same page of the thread. "goldenkey" your childish attack on me just further proves that in The Villiage I am the closest comicvine has to Number Six.  Just wondering what are you a golden key for?  Last time I checked I unlocked knowledge that people seem to miss.   Think what you like, but my resume on this site speaks for itself, my work dealing with Morrison's Batman leaves me with little peers here.  Comics can be just an escapist entertainment where guys like Dan Didiot and Co. can pull on strings and make boat loads of money, or comics can be a true art form where Guys like Kelley Jones are Gods.  Another example of a guy who does big ears on Bats, Simon Bisley, the look guys like them go for is for intimation.  There is a pattern, intimated = longer ears.  In the world of reading mainstream comics we are all marionettes the only difference between you and I is that I can see the strings and one day I will cut mine.  
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

@turoksonofstone said:
@Dracade102 said:
to put it mildly.
Synchronicity proves importance again that my friend posted a great example
^_^
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Silkcuts:  
Win.
Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

I think both looks are great, though I'm more inclined to like long ears.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Silkcuts
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:
This made me laugh since I just responded on my "phallic ear" theory.  So someone likes it longer it seems...lol
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Amegashita
@Silkcuts:  Anytime man, always gotta stick up for your friends, and way to support your psychological perspective even better, if it didn't seem like a viable theory to anyone before, it is now.  It's comments like yours that made me write that blog about comic book art a while back. 

@turoksonofstone said:
Vas ist das????
  ??  I'm confused. 
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By turoksonofstone
No Caption Provided
Batman's  creators always gave him long ears. 
Batman's creators always gave him long ears. 
TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#37  Edited By TheGoldenOne
Not too long or too short.
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Amegashita:  
means "what is this?" I was surprised Silkcut's wisdom would be called into question. Nice response btw.
Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#39  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I think long ears only work for emphasis or in very stylistic artwork. They just don't work very well with realism.

Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Silkcuts
@turoksonofstone said:
No Caption Provided
Batman's  creators always gave him long ears. 
Batman's creators always gave him long ears. 
@turoksonofstone said:
@Amegashita:  means "what is this?" I was surprised Silkcut's wisdom would be called into question. Nice response btw.
You guys give me too much credit.  
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Amegashita
@turoksonofstone:  Oh, I knew that part, I was confused on what the "vat is das" was being addressed to.  Glad it's not me.  Lol, and thanks, had to stick up for the John Constantine expert the best I could.
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Silkcuts:   @turoksonofstone said: 
@Amegashita:  means "what is this?" I was surprised Silkcut's wisdom would be called into question. Nice response btw.
You guys give me too much credit. 

Nah, In a world where so few truly understand the Medium, I disagree.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Silkcuts
@turoksonofstone: @Amegashita
Stop it you two I am going to cry...lol
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#44  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Short. Long ears look stupid.

turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By turoksonofstone
The Stupid Short ears have their origins in the Campy DC Silver Age 
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Silkcuts
@turoksonofstone said:
If I remember correctly the Silver age was the kiddie friendly stuff, correct?
Not the "scary" stalk the shadows myth of a monster Batman that has the longer ears?
Amegashita

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By Amegashita
@Silkcuts:  Which makes complete sense with your theory about making the ears shorter so that Batman can be more accessible.
Silkcuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Silkcuts
@Amegashita said:
@Silkcuts:  Which makes complete sense with your theory about making the ears shorter so that Batman can be more accessible.
;)
Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@Silkcuts said:
@RedheadedAtrocitus said:
This made me laugh since I just responded on my "phallic ear" theory.  So someone likes it longer it seems...lol
Yup, I'm a size king for longer ears, heh.
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By turoksonofstone
@Silkcuts said:
@turoksonofstone said:
If I remember correctly the Silver age was the kiddie friendly stuff, correct? Not the "scary" stalk the shadows myth of a monster Batman that has the longer ears?
precisely.