Back to comics after 15 years; help plz on where to start :)

Mashugana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I am returning to comics after 15 years. I want to pick a few comic series, get caught up on their recent history, and start following them again. I tend to be a classic golden/iron age fan - like X-Men, Green Lantern, Avengers, and the more old school spandex super hero stuff.

That said, I am completely overwhelmed - I'd love some advice on:

1. How to pick which comics to follow - are their review sites or top ten lists or a general "these are the top comics out today"?
  2. How to get caught up on the story line. When I left there was the Uncanny X-Men. Now there are X-Avenger Men or lord knows what. How do I get from 1998 to today? New 52? Marvel Now? Holy Christmas! How can I possibly get back in.
  3. Any advice on specifc comics to check out? Either strong arcs in the last few years ot books that are solid today?

And please any anything you think would help - any tips or tricks or "I wish I had known this when I started reading comics..."

Thanks ever so much.

Excelsior!

Do they still say that?

Mashugana

PeppeyHare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I am returning to comics after 15 years. I want to pick a few comic series, get caught up on their recent history, and start following them again. I tend to be a classic golden/iron age fan - like X-Men, Green Lantern, Avengers, and the more old school spandex super hero stuff.

That said, I am completely overwhelmed - I'd love some advice on:

1. How to pick which comics to follow - are their review sites or top ten lists or a general "these are the top comics out today"?
  2. How to get caught up on the story line. When I left there was the Uncanny X-Men. Now there are X-Avenger Men or lord knows what. How do I get from 1998 to today? New 52? Marvel Now? Holy Christmas! How can I possibly get back in.
  3. Any advice on specifc comics to check out? Either strong arcs in the last few years ot books that are solid today?

And please any anything you think would help - any tips or tricks or "I wish I had known this when I started reading comics..."

Thanks ever so much.

Excelsior!

Do they still say that?

Mashugana

1. Yes. You're on one of those sites

2. Wikipedia is your friend

3. Hawkeye, New 52 Aquaman, Daredevil, Uncanny Avengers, New 52 Batman, Superman Unchained.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

@mashugana:

My "wish I had known" tip for when I started would be:

I wish I had known the best/main titles out at the moment for a given team or character.

For example, there's tons of X-Men books. That world was the hardest to get into for me as there are so many X titles.

I wish I had someone to say: "if you want to read X-Men and know everything important going on and that is on a need to know basis, read 'All New X-Men' and 'Uncanny X-Men'". All the other titles occupy little corners of the X-universe, that once you find out more about you could jump into.

That's just an example of one team I had a hard time with.

Also, remember to read whatever you feel like and disregard my advice if ever you feel like. Kind of contradictory I know, but your comic book reading experience should be your own. Also know that whatever you like someone on here will probably hate. This place is a vast well spring of opinions, and you shouldn't let anyone discourage you from reading what you want.

Anyway, I hope that helped. Enjoy, welcome back, an best of luck! :)

Smallville2106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Smallville2106

New 52 Aquaman is a definate imo.

New 52 Batman is also great.

FBP (Collider) is also really good so far and only 3 issues in.

Superman Unchained

Batman Superman

X Files season 10 (Only 3 issues in)