Awesome Toy Picks: LEGO Monster Fighters - Crazy Scientist, Werewolf & Swamp Creature

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Each week we take a close look at cool collectibles. We open them up and see if they are as awesome as they appear in the packaging. From time to time, we like to look at LEGO sets. This week's selections aren't necessarily comic book collectibles like we usually see. LEGO has a great line of 'Monster Fighters' sets and these creatures have appeared in several comics in many different forms. These are great sets and I thought we'd take a slight departure and stretch the 'comic book' part just a tiny bit.

The first set we'll look is the Crazy Scientist and His Monster, which is essentially Frankenstein's Monster.

No Caption Provided

Surprisingly this set only has 430 pieces. Even though it wasn't difficult to put together, looking at all the pieces plus the two separate instruction booklets, it just felt like there was more.

No Caption Provided

You get a lot in this set. The scientist's lab is basically a playset. You also get a vehicle for the Monster Fighters. There's four figures included. The set also includes some glow-in-the-dark pieces as well as a light brick with some movable parts. The light up piece is used for the laser in the lab.

== TEASER ==
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

In the lab, there is a glow-in-the-dark skull in a jar. There's also a dungeon with a rat and spider that glow-in-the dark. The dungeon is pretty small. It's a sign for the other LEGO characters that they won't want to get locked in there.

There's also a chain attached to the dungeon for other captives. On top of the cell there is a catapult along with three pieces of ammo you can shoot at any Monster Fighters coming along.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

As for the Monster Fighter dudes, they get a car that is equipped to take on any monsters they might face. Unfortunately for the Crazy Scientist, they are headed his way.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

What's a Crazy Scientist to do when the Fighters come and insist he stop his experiments? He can simply call his creation to come along and deal with these guys.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

They may be Monster Fighters but that doesn't mean they have to win the fight against the monsters.

The next set is The Werewolf.

No Caption Provided

This set is a little cheaper and has 243 pieces. There's only two figures, the Werewolf and one of the Monster Fighters. Sadly, it's one of the same guys from the other set. It would have been nice if he at least had a different head or something.

The pieces come in two bags and there's only one instruction manual.

No Caption Provided

The set comes with a big tree for the Werewolf to hang out in. It's not a regular tree as there is a place you can put him to launch him at any attackers. His little wolf shrine is pretty cool as well.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

The Werewolf's claws glow in the dark. It might not make a whole lot of sense but it does look pretty cool in the dark.

The Monster Fighter here has a pretty snazzy little car. If you're a Monster Fighter, you want to have a fast set of wheels to get to or away from any threats.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

I mentioned the ability to launch the Werewolf from the tree. You can see it right here:

No Caption Provided

But what we really want to know is how will this encounter go. The Monster Fighter is looking to rid the world of the Werewolf. He has a car and a big old gun. Is this a fair fight?

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Ouch
Ouch

The last set we'll look at is The Swamp Creature.

No Caption Provided

This is the cheapest set of the three. There's only 70 pieces but it comes with what is basically the Creature from the Black Lagoon!

No Caption Provided

I think this 'monster' is my favorite of the three. Like the Werewolf, he has a little shrine where he can put his stuff like a couple gems, a frog and a fish he'll eat for dinner later.

No Caption Provided
"Sounds like something's coming this way"
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided

This Monster Fighter thinks he's pretty cool. He has two faces, with or without sunglasses.

Now we can see what happens when these two meet up.

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
"Later suckers!"
No Caption Provided

There are other LEGO sets in this line. You can see that LEGO has really outdone themselves. If you're a fan of the classic monsters, it's going to be hard to pass these up.

That's it for this week. These were a blast to put together. Next week we'll have another installment with a collectible of massive proportions.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Loki2u

Swamp Creature looks like Mer-Man from Master of the Universe

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By Mucklefluga

Right my new years resolution is to buy some LEGO. I'm always jealous when i read these articles Tony!

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By feebadger

Man, Lego SUCKED when i was a kid! ;P

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4  Edited By lifeboy

Cool sets tony:-) I love monsters. Wish there was a monster comic. I understand I VAmpire comes pretty close. Still wish there was a Van Helsing comic. That would be topps!

LiamB8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By LiamB8
@Mucklefluga said:

Right my new years resolution is to buy some LEGO. I'm always jealous when i read these articles Tony!

I haven't bought any in 6 years....
Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By Mucklefluga

@LiamB8 said:

@Mucklefluga said:

I haven't bought any in 6 years....

Really? O: My last set was the Deadpool/Wolverine/Magneto one which i bought last year.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They look pretty cool if I was into Lego I would buy these in a heartbeat.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Wow, swamp beast kinda looks like Majora from the Zelda games!

BST

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By BST

I own the ghost train set & it's by far the coolest of the Monster Fighters sets. The only thing is, why are those d-bags always fighting the monsters? The monsters are awesome!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#10  Edited By gmanfromheck

@BST: That's why the Monsters here won each battle!

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Miss_Garrick

The Swamp creature is so CUTE! Maybe I should get it for my mom. She loves Creature from the Black Lagoon.

Miss_Garrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Miss_Garrick

@Loki2u: LOL, he does!