Temudjin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Temudjin

@laflux @wolverine08@jashro44 @slimj87d

I don't remember who else was in the original thread that may have discussion points to make... but yeah. The issue finally came out today, and lo and behold, The Gorgon did not job.

Shang blows out the torches with a clap, then ambushes the Gorgon with a kick from the side. He then punches the Gorgon in the chest, revealing that his new Stark-tech bracers appear to give him a "pseudo-Iron Fist". Gorgon grabs Shang by the bracer and sends him flying into the roof of the temple, after which he sets the whole place on fire hoping to take Shang with it. This is where Shang grabs a piece of flaming debris and takes out the Gorgon's eyes - but we know sight is not his greatest asset anyway. And Shang knows that, he makes a big deal about Gorgon's stone stare more than anything else. Nevertheless, Shang seizes the opportunity and follows up with several direct blows on the Gorgon (seemingly channeling the spirits of his ancestors). But of course, we all know that's not enough to take down someone who can tank multiple stabs by Wolverine and Elektra simultaneously. Gorgon blitzes Shang and defeats him with a series of kicks and slashes. He praises his opponent before tossing him into the waters below.

Gorgon clearly wasn't jobbing here. In fact, despite looking like he had the upper hand, Shang's internal monologue foreshadowed the inevitable outcome. Tomi's stone stare and telepathy are both intact and referenced, and he shows that he's still leagues above Marvel's "peak human" level fighters with his super human strength and speed. Being able to throw Shang as far as he did and taking him out every bit as viciously he did Wolverine, this isn't the same Gorgon that got blindsided in New Avengers.

That being said, Shang-Chi did have some very nice showings despite losing. Being able to tag Gorgon repeatedly the way he did, approaching the fight strategically, and holding his own for much longer than most others who came before him. The only thing I didn't really understand is why he needed those new bracers. He uses them twice, and they don't seem to hurt the Gorgon any more than his regular blows.

Regardless, there is undoubtedly going to be a rematch coming up. If nothing else, I'd love to see Wolverine and Shang-Chi team up against the Gorgon. On that note, one has to wonder what the rest of the Avengers in Madripoor were doing...

I know interest is slim, but any other thoughts on this issue?

CF12793

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

While I have not read it, I am definitely looking forward to it and from the way you've described it, niether of the characters were lowballed or written out of character.

ShenKuei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was a bit disappointed with how the fight was paced. Shang dominated for the first 4/5 of the fight then gets wrecked in the last page I was expecting somewhat more of a back-and-forth. Aside from that though, it was a cool fight.

The outcome was the correct one. Although I advocate for Shang-chi any time I can Gorgon just has too many advantages over him to lose. That being said Shang-chi got some good hits in, as he should, so I'm satisfied.

JSH92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

@shenkuei: I agree, it did seem like Shang-Chi was beating him down a bit too much for most of the fight. I would've preferred a little more "back-n-forth."

Gorgon vs Shang-Chi is actually the only reason I even paid any attention to this series.