• 167 results
Super_Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Super_Buck

Poll Avengers or Man of Steel? (174 votes)

Avengers 58%
Man of Steel 36%
Both, I simply cannot decide 6%

I don't think this has been done, so I'll do it anyway. Both films have holes in it, yet both were largely enjoyable. Ratings and box office aside, which film did you like more and why?

• 
Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

What a good idea for a thread.

Avatar image for manwhohaseverything
Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Man of Steel:

*Insert music that goes all BUUUUUUM BUM BUM DADADA BUUUM DADA in order to make the action and drama seem more intense and original than it actually is*

"LEAVE MY MOOOM ALOOOONEEEEEE" Yeah..as opposed to most people who are okay with their Mom's being killed.

"NO! DON'T HEAT VISION THOSE 4 PEOPLE... right after we killed hundreds through collateral damage of our fight anyway." Actually the city had been evacuated after the World Engine was activated. They had a scene showing people leaving and everything. The death toll from Clark and Zod's fight was zero. The property damage was big, but after the World Engine, the whole city was going to have to rebuilt anyhow.

*Kisses Lois despite not knowing her even vaguely* "Who were you again?" "Me? I'm Hopeman. Yeno.. the alien guy in spandex, who's just flying around f*cking raping Metropolis" "We should hook up sometime you seem interesting" And they both thought they were going to die. They knew each other more than "vaguely". They had a nice little chat in Smallville And..again, Clark did very little of the destroying of Metropolis. The World Engine did most of that. Like 99%.

*Insert stupid great power comes with great responsibility moment where Superman lets his Dad die in order to teach him a lesson. A lesson which isn't even explicitly described to us, or even has a role later on in the film. They just killed the old b*stard for no reason* No..he let this Dad die out of respect for his Dad's wishes. Pa Kent didn't think the world was ready to see Clark as he is. He may have been wrong about that, but that was his wish, and Clark respected it.

Jor-El was alright, I suppose.

You were right about Frozen's thread being stupid, but I wonder if you actually watched MOS. I wonder sometimes how many folks on the Vine did. They keep making the same invalid points over and over..they get corrected. (Though they never acknowledge that part.) Then come back a month later and make the same invalid points.

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel for me. I'm a kid from the early 90s, I never had those epic moments of seeing Superman for the first time. And when I finally did, he was a deadbeat stalker dad. MOS was for me what Batman Begins was for Batfans after Batman and Robin. MOS was for me what Superman the Movie was for people in my parent's generation. MOS, for me, made me believe a man could fly. It was exactly - exactly - what I wanted from a Superman film.

I even tested myself, to see if I was getting absorbed in the hype. Avengers was awesome, I saw it three times in theaters, but it got a bit more boring after each viewing, and now I can't sit through the whole thing without skipping to the relevant scenes. Man of Steel went through the same test, and it was great in theaters. But now, I can, and do, still watch it over and over on Bluray, and it actually got better with repeated viewings. It's not a perfect movie by any means, and I'm not going to pretend it is. But it is something special to me, and I couldn't have asked for a better take on Superman.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@skyfire: I'm not sure why people keep missing the point of the individual movies.

Well, I've often used that as a point against The Avengers. Movies, even part of franchises, should stand on their own. You shouldn't HAVE to see 5 other movies to understand the characters in The Avengers. Based on box-office numbers, a lot of people did see Avengers that didn't see Cap America or Iron Man. I do admit, I am baffled how most MOS fans can still admit the film has flaws. Avengers fans can't. I may be steroe-typing, but it seems on here, any criticism of Marvel is met with allegations that DC fans are "butt-hurt" or "jealous". Followed by a gif some guy dancing, like that ends all the debate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79
deactivated-5d2b83d5a0d79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Avengers. MOS is a terrible movie.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@manwhohaseverything: Well, isn't it common for comic books to have the main characters be established as who they are in their own solo books, and the main conflict when they get into team books be seeing how those aforementioned personalities jive together? Granted, I am generalizing because small characters get major characterization in team books, but I'm mainly talking about superstars like a Captain America or Iron Man here. With the movie thing, it is om both sides really. You have people whom are overtly loyal to Marvel(Like Kevin Fiege really cares about them) whom feel proud of the amount of movie s Marvel has shelled out In Comparison To Wb, and overtly DC fans whom will profess to their last breath the quality over quantity principles with their favored movies.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything: Well, isn't it common for comic books to have the main characters be established as who they are in their own solo books, and the main conflict when they get into team books be seeing how those aforementioned personalities jive together? Granted, I am generalizing because small characters get major characterization in team books, but I'm mainly talking about superstars like a Captain America or Iron Man here. With the movie thing, it is om both sides really. You have people whom are overtly loyal to Marvel(Like Kevin Fiege really cares about them) whom feel proud of the amount of movie s Marvel has shelled out In Comparison To Wb, and overtly DC fans whom will profess to their last breath the quality over quantity principles with their favored movies.

Yes, but I'm assuming both Marvel and WB went their movies to be seen by non-comic readers also. Let's take the Nolan films. I have friends that saw TDK, that did not see Batman Begins. And that was okay, you didn't need to see Batman Begins to get the main points TDK. Without seeing Cap TFA, I'm not so sure too many Avenger film-goers would have understood why Loki wanted the cube so badly.

Even as a DC fan, I roll my eyes when one bring out "Quality over Quanity" The DC based films, even after Shumacher's mess don't have a higher % of quality films than Marvel does. I've not done the math, but it seems I like about 50% of both companies films, am indifferent to 25% of them, and hate 25% of them. Due to Marvel's quantity of films, that just means they've given me more to like and more to dislike. At the end of the day, I get into threads like this...no joke..because I feel a need to correct people that think Superman destroyed Metropolis in his fight with Zod. While I get tired of doing that, I can't help it. :) Folks. The World Engine did most of the damage to Metropolis. All Zod and Clark did was smash up a few empty buildings. (Okay..like 6 or 7, so maybe more than a few.)

Thorverine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OK to quote the battle forum, Avengers in an effortless curbstomp, lol.

houseshm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers easily

Man of steel was a ok movie and and that seemed put together just to do another reboot. Man of steel just felt rushed and I still dont understand why superman didnt save his dad Kent when he could have easily. Too many plot holes for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything:

You were right about Frozen's thread being stupid, but I wonder if you actually watched MOS. I wonder sometimes how many folks on the Vine did. They keep making the same invalid points over and over..they get corrected. (Though they never acknowledge that part.) Then come back a month later and make the same invalid points.

How are subjective statements invalid? I didn't like the films score.. nothing invalid about that. I think the way certain scenes panned out was dumb.. nothing wrong with that.

Also, trust me, I have much better things to do than tactically re-post "invalid" points months in advance, especially if someone had convinced me I'm wrong about them. But seeing as everything I said is subjective.. I don't know where you're getting at.

I did watch the film, btw. In IMAX no less. Funnily enough I do watch a film before I point out critical plot points or music I don't like.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@wolverine08 said:

Yes, but I'm assuming both Marvel and WB went their movies to be seen by non-comic readers also. Let's take the Nolan films. I have friends that saw TDK, that did not see Batman Begins. And that was okay, you didn't need to see Batman Begins to get the main points TDK. Without seeing Cap TFA, I'm not so sure too many Avenger film-goers would have understood why Loki wanted the cube so badly.

Even as a DC fan, I roll my eyes when one bring out "Quality over Quanity" The DC based films, even after Shumacher's mess don't have a higher % of quality films than Marvel does. I've not done the math, but it seems I like about 50% of both companies films, am indifferent to 25% of them, and hate 25% of them. Due to Marvel's quantity of films, that just means they've given me more to like and more to dislike. At the end of the day, I get into threads like this...no joke..because I feel a need to correct people that think Superman destroyed Metropolis in his fight with Zod. While I get tired of doing that, I can't help it. :) Folks. The World Engine did most of the damage to Metropolis. All Zod and Clark did was smash up a few empty buildings. (Okay..like 6 or 7, so maybe more than a few.)

People get too distracted by Henry Cavil's charm to properly count how many buildings he actually destroyed :)

the_red_viper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By the_red_viper  Moderator

Heh, it's a poll between my favorite super-hero movie VS my least-favorite.

I choose The Avengers without a second thought.

Manwhohaseverything

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@manwhohaseverything:

How are subjective statements invalid? I didn't like the films score.. nothing invalid about that. I think the way certain scenes panned out was dumb.. nothing wrong with that.

Also, trust me, I have much better things to do than tactically re-post "invalid" points months in advance, especially if someone had convinced me I'm wrong about them. But seeing as everything I said is subjective.. I don't know where you're getting at.

I did watch the film, btw. In IMAX no less. Funnily enough I do watch a film before I point out critical plot points or music I don't like.

No, the invalid points are things like "Superman killed hundreds of people in his fight with Zod, and only cared when a family of 4 got threatened." That is simply not true. It's not subjective, it's simply wrong. Saying Lois and Clark "barely knew" each other is also wrong. If you go back, you'll see I replied to your points in the body of your original post. Maybe I made a mistake by not putting them in bold type. That's why the comment about wondering if you saw the film, some of the things are just factually wrong. Now, FWIW: I didn't like the tornado scene much, and the characterization of PA Kent is MOS's most serious flaw IMHO, but the tornado scene did not go down the way you described it.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I enjoyed Avengers much more. I've seen the movie a dozen times and can't think of any time during the movie I felt uninterested.

During MOS of though, one of the issues I had with the movie was how the balance between the storyline and the action was handled. The movie has a pretty slow start and we don't get any real action scene until the first fight in Smallville, but the problem here is that once the action starts it doesn't really stop. Once Superman starts fighting there's never really a time to breath, and when we got to the final fight between Superman and Zod I was burned out from all of the fighting and destruction.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_like_swords said:

@manwhohaseverything:

No, the invalid points are things like "Superman killed hundreds of people in his fight with Zod, and only cared when a family of 4 got threatened." That is simply not true. It's not subjective, it's simply wrong. Saying Lois and Clark "barely knew" each other is also wrong. If you go back, you'll see I replied to your points in the body of your original post. Maybe I made a mistake by not putting them in bold type. That's why the comment about wondering if you saw the film, some of the things are just factually wrong. Now, FWIW: I didn't like the tornado scene much, and the characterization of PA Kent is MOS's most serious flaw IMHO, but the tornado scene did not go down the way you described it.

You're going to great lengths to shove your own interpretations down my throat, aren't you?

They would have killed hundreds in their fight, knocking buildings apart like that. Superman should have been trying to kill him a long time before he did, even if he wouldn't have been able to right away.

They didn't know eachother too well IIRC. Hadn't they only met briefly, talked for a bit, but ultimately had their relationship moments missed amongst all the fighting? Maybe they knew each other growing up and I can't remember or something. Just don't remember them knowing each other well at all and the whole thing seeming forced.

I think the tornado scene was unnecessary and forced to be honest, but that's just my view.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fabc76a05e3b
deactivated-5fabc76a05e3b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers