• 166 results
Edited 4 months, 30 days ago

Poll: Avengers or Man of Steel? (168 votes)

Avengers 59%
Man of Steel 35%
Both, I simply cannot decide 6%

I don't think this has been done, so I'll do it anyway. Both films have holes in it, yet both were largely enjoyable. Ratings and box office aside, which film did you like more and why?

#51 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman said:

MOS. Although it had flaws, the first half of Avengers was boring. Just characters bickering with each other. Doesn't get good until Banner hulks out.

Couldn't the same be said about Man of Steel and the flashbacks that took up a decent amount of the movie's time?

#52 Edited by youknowwhattodo (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers and it is not even close, I can't think of a single metric where MOS came out ahead of the Avengers....

#53 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers and it is not even close, I can't think of a single metric where MOS came out ahead of the Avengers....

Not even muscly protagonists?

#54 Edited by SheenLantern (6656 posts) - - Show Bio

Where's the "They were both unwatchable" option?

#55 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Nah Avengers stomps in that area, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans and even Jeremy Renner. MOS had only one cast member who looked like he lifts.

#56 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Nah Avengers stomps in that area, Chris Hemsworth, Chris Evans and even Jeremy Renner. MOS had only one cast member who looked like he lifts.

#57 Posted by TheDemoGoblin (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel was a generic mess.

#58 Posted by Renchamp (2397 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers, but only because MOS felt dead the entire movie. Sure, it looked nice, but I didn't care about what was happening. I couldn't care based on how the whole thing was presented. The fight with Zod was so over the top that I nearly fell asleep from the pointlessness. (This is not an exaggeration, and I pride myself on never falling asleep in movies.)

#59 Posted by Spideysense44 (3467 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers by a mile

#60 Posted by The_Deathstroker (7650 posts) - - Show Bio

@thedemogoblin: And the Avengers wasn't?

I voted Both because neither of them are top tier movies like they are made out to be. They were both pretty decent and fun movies to watch, sure, but they are really overrated compared to the greatest movies out there (no, I'm not talking about TDK).

#61 Posted by Jphu8414 (3741 posts) - - Show Bio

Both are my some of favorite movies period but the slight edge goes to Man of Steel

#62 Posted by Ryagan (908 posts) - - Show Bio

The Avengers--easily. Man of Steel was a mess.

#63 Posted by Experio (16065 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers

#64 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17572 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel wins this for me. Better action, better score, better plot, extremely refreshing story telling (non-linear ftfw), and not to mention a way better villain(s). It had some flaws like all films do, but I really didn't have any major problems with it whatsoever. Lois was a bit weak, but nearly ever CBM has a weak love interest, so I don't really hold that against any movie anymore.

Avengers was great the first time I watch it, but it has almost no replay value for me. The plot is thin, there's no meaningful character development and the constant jokes are old after 1 or 2 times. Although I don't really care for the term overrated (cos the movie is still good) I find Avengers thus. I find many of the solo MCU films better like IM1 and Cap 2.

Though people get butthurt too easily over these subjects.

#65 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Avengers wrecks.

I shall expound on my choice. I pick Avengers because it simply accomplished what it set do to, be the connecting piece among multiple franchises much better than what Man of Steel was trying to accomplish, modernize Superman for this age. I often here that Avengers didn't have much in the form of character development, but what did you expect? Avenger was supposed to be the connecting piece in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Movies like Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, etc. were all the movies that were supposed to flesh out the aforementioned characters, not the Avengers. The character interactions between the Avengers and seeing Captain America try readjust to the modern world were enough character development for me on that front. In the end, the movie was able to connect the pieces of the MCU seamlessly and it felt like a comic book straight out of the pages. It accomplished what it wanted, and I have to give it props for that.

Man of Steel on the other hand, was going for a completely different thing from Avengers in that they were trying to set up and develop a specific character, and they kind of just fell on their faces. IMO, Zack Snyder and David Goyer just got too caught up in trying to run away from stereotypes like Superman being a boyscout that they just started trying to hard at a certain point. One moment that sticks out for me was the end of the movie when after Superman dumped a satellite and flew away, a female soldier commented on "He's kinda hot." Just a laughably forced attempt at showing us how "hip" and cool this new Superman is. Other problems I had with the movie is that it just took itself too seriously at certain points with Superman being a savior, the insinuations towards Jesus Christ, him being an act of God, etc. The movie was trying so hard to be epic that the expository dialogue made the characters feel like they were damn robots instead of actual human beings. The flashback style attempts at trying to get us to feel for Clark also had their hits and misses. I still WTF whenever I watch Pal Kent let himself get killed just for us to feel sorry for Clark and when Clark's mother tries to help him get past his superpower's drawbacks, and again, speaks in forced "epic" dialogue that no one would speak to a young child with. Superman breaking Zod's neck and subsequently screaming at the top of his lungs along with Lois counseling him felt like yet again, another attempt for us to feel for this Superman. The movies attempt at modernizing Superman just made the entire feel cold, and like Batman with a Superman costume, and just missed the entire point of Superman in general. It was like the production crew was afraid to adapt Superman or something. I'm not even going to touch on the action much because that's been done to death, but the visuals kind of got boring throughout the final battle with all the bouncing off of each other, flying through buildings, etc.

So yeah, I have to go with Avengers.

#66 Posted by Farkam (4891 posts) - - Show Bio

You don't think this has been done before? LOL!

Avengers on all accounts. MOS was one of the worst films I have ever seen.

#67 Posted by Renchamp (2397 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

@wolverine08 said:

Avengers wrecks.

I shall expound on my choice. I pick Avengers because it simply accomplished what it set do to, be the connecting piece among multiple franchises much better than what Man of Steel was trying to accomplish, modernize Superman for this age. I often here that Avengers didn't have much in the form of character development, but what did you expect? Avenger was supposed to be the connecting piece in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. Movies like Iron Man, Captain America: The First Avenger, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, etc. were all the movies that were supposed to flesh out the aforementioned characters, not the Avengers. The character interactions between the Avengers and seeing Captain America try readjust to the modern world were enough character development for me on that front. In the end, the movie was able to connect the pieces of the MCU seamlessly and it felt like a comic book straight out of the pages. It accomplished what it wanted, and I have to give it props for that.

Man of Steel on the other hand, was going for a completely different thing from Avengers in that they were trying to set up and develop a specific character, and they kind of just fell on their faces. IMO, Zack Snyder and David Goyer just got too caught up in trying to run away from stereotypes like Superman being a boyscout that they just started trying to hard at a certain point. One moment that sticks out for me was the end of the movie when after Superman dumped a satellite and flew away, a female soldier commented on "He's kinda hot." Just a laughably forced attempt at showing us how "hip" and cool this new Superman is. Other problems I had with the movie is that it just took itself too seriously at certain points with Superman being a savior, the insinuations towards Jesus Christ, him being an act of God, etc. The movie was trying so hard to be epic that the expository dialogue made the characters feel like they were damn robots instead of actual human beings. The flashback style attempts at trying to get us to feel for Clark also had their hits and misses. I still WTF whenever I watch Pal Kent let himself get killed just for us to feel sorry for Clark and when Clark's mother tries to help him get past his superpower's drawbacks, and again, speaks in forced "epic" dialogue that no one would speak to a young child with. The movies attempt at modernizing Superman just made the entire feel cold, and like Batman with a Superman costume, and just missed the entire point of Superman in general. It was like the production crew was afraid to adapt Superman or something. I'm not even going to touch on the action much because that's been done to death, but the visuals kind of got boring throughout the final battle.

QFT

#68 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

@renchamp said:

@wolverine08 said:

@wolverine08 said:

Avengers wrecks.

Man of Steel on the other hand, was going for a completely different thing from Avengers in that they were trying to set up and develop a specific character, and they kind of just fell on their faces. IMO, Zack Snyder and David Goyer just got too caught up in trying to run away from stereotypes like Superman being a boyscout that they just started trying to hard at a certain point. One moment that sticks out for me was the end of the movie when after Superman dumped a satellite and flew away, a female soldier commented on "He's kinda hot." Just a laughably forced attempt at showing us how "hip" and cool this new Superman is. Other problems I had with the movie is that it just took itself too seriously at certain points with Superman being a savior, the insinuations towards Jesus Christ, him being an act of God, etc. The movie was trying so hard to be epic that the expository dialogue made the characters feel like they were damn robots instead of actual human beings. The flashback style attempts at trying to get us to feel for Clark also had their hits and misses. I still WTF whenever I watch Pal Kent let himself get killed just for us to feel sorry for Clark and when Clark's mother tries to help him get past his superpower's drawbacks, and again, speaks in forced "epic" dialogue that no one would speak to a young child with. The movies attempt at modernizing Superman just made the entire feel cold, and like Batman with a Superman costume, and just missed the entire point of Superman in general. It was like the production crew was afraid to adapt Superman or something. I'm not even going to touch on the action much because that's been done to death, but the visuals kind of got boring throughout the final battle.

QFT

#69 Edited by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

Undecided. I enjoyed Avengers more the first time I saw it than I did Man of Steel, but now I like them both pretty equally. I've watched both films multiple times.

MoS didn't have any real plot "holes" that I could see, besides maybe Lois magically showing up in the bank after Supes killed Zod (how did she know where they were? how did she get there so fast?). It did have some silly plot moments (some of which were mentioned already by @i_like_swords), and some stuff that didn't line up with the essence of the comic book character, but that's not the same thing as having holes in the plot.

Avengers had plenty of silly plot moments too (Banner: "My secret is that I'm always angry and because I said this I can now transform at will, without actually being angry, for the sake of plot."). Avengers did have holes as well.

#70 Posted by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

Undecided. I enjoyed Avengers more the first time I saw it than I did Man of Steel, but now I like them both pretty equally. I've watched both films multiple times.

MoS didn't have any real plot "holes" that I could see, besides maybe Lois magically showing up in the bank after Supes killed Zod (how did she know where they were? how did she get there so fast?). It did have some silly plot moments (some of which were mentioned already by @i_like_swords), and some stuff that didn't line up with the essence of the comic book character, but that's not the same thing as having holes in the plot.

Because, Superman needed a pretty woman to comfort him!

#71 Edited by youknowwhattodo (1165 posts) - - Show Bio
@wolverine08 said:

It was like the production crew was afraid to adapt Superman or something.

I think the creative team spent more time trying to show us what it isn't (Richard Donner's Superman) rather than what it is. That's why it felt so empty.

#72 Posted by BeaconofStrength (5490 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't like Man Of Murder.

#73 Posted by Farkam (4891 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Avengers wrecks.

Man of Steel on the other hand, was going for a completely different thing from Avengers in that they were trying to set up and develop a specific character, and they kind of just fell on their faces. IMO, Zack Snyder and David Goyer just got too caught up in trying to run away from stereotypes like Superman being a boyscout that they just started trying to hard at a certain point. One moment that sticks out for me was the end of the movie when after Superman dumped a satellite and flew away, a female soldier commented on "He's kinda hot." Just a laughably forced attempt at showing us how "hip" and cool this new Superman is. Other problems I had with the movie is that it just took itself too seriously at certain points with Superman being a savior, the insinuations towards Jesus Christ, him being an act of God, etc. The movie was trying so hard to be epic that the expository dialogue made the characters feel like they were damn robots instead of actual human beings. The flashback style attempts at trying to get us to feel for Clark also had their hits and misses. I still WTF whenever I watch Pal Kent let himself get killed just for us to feel sorry for Clark and when Clark's mother tries to help him get past his superpower's drawbacks, and again, speaks in forced "epic" dialogue that no one would speak to a young child with. The movies attempt at modernizing Superman just made the entire feel cold, and like Batman with a Superman costume, and just missed the entire point of Superman in general. It was like the production crew was afraid to adapt Superman or something. I'm not even going to touch on the action much because that's been done to death, but the visuals kind of got boring throughout the final battle with all the bouncing off of each other, flying through buildings, etc.

Damn bra.

*brofist*

#74 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

It was like the production crew was afraid to adapt Superman or something.

I think the creative team spent more time trying to show us what it isn't (Richard Donner's Superman) rather than what it is. That's why it felt so empty.

I mean, I feel that Henry Cavil has the potential to be a great Superman, but they seriously just need to let him be Superman. Not generic broody space alien.

@farkam said:

@wolverine08 said:

@wolverine08 said:

Avengers wrecks.

Man of Steel on the other hand, was going for a completely different thing from Avengers in that they were trying to set up and develop a specific character, and they kind of just fell on their faces. IMO, Zack Snyder and David Goyer just got too caught up in trying to run away from stereotypes like Superman being a boyscout that they just started trying to hard at a certain point. One moment that sticks out for me was the end of the movie when after Superman dumped a satellite and flew away, a female soldier commented on "He's kinda hot." Just a laughably forced attempt at showing us how "hip" and cool this new Superman is. Other problems I had with the movie is that it just took itself too seriously at certain points with Superman being a savior, the insinuations towards Jesus Christ, him being an act of God, etc. The movie was trying so hard to be epic that the expository dialogue made the characters feel like they were damn robots instead of actual human beings. The flashback style attempts at trying to get us to feel for Clark also had their hits and misses. I still WTF whenever I watch Pal Kent let himself get killed just for us to feel sorry for Clark and when Clark's mother tries to help him get past his superpower's drawbacks, and again, speaks in forced "epic" dialogue that no one would speak to a young child with. The movies attempt at modernizing Superman just made the entire feel cold, and like Batman with a Superman costume, and just missed the entire point of Superman in general. It was like the production crew was afraid to adapt Superman or something. I'm not even going to touch on the action much because that's been done to death, but the visuals kind of got boring throughout the final battle with all the bouncing off of each other, flying through buildings, etc.

Damn bra.

*brofist*

#75 Posted by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

@maximizer said:

Avengers was much, much harder to pull off. More respect there. That being said, it gets a lot of heat for not having a 'proper story' (which is just nitpicking to the success IMO). How could you demand that when the film is dealing with 6 characters as opposed to 1? MoS barely handled it either.

...How is complaining about a lack of story nitpicking in any way? That is a major complaint if someone wants to use it.

And yes, the story was very weak. Aliens invade the Earth and we need to stop it. That's been done hundreds of times and is a very thin plot line. Its not nitpicking if that is your complaint. The amount of characters you deal with is irrelevant. Lord of the Rings deals with more main characters than Avengers and didn't' have to sacrifice plot.

Precisely.

#76 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers was well crafted especially compared to MOS,MOS has too many issues in terms of movie making(under developed lead characters,ill pacing of the flashbacks,tries too hard to make the lead protagonist "cool" and relatable which in itself opens a can of worms etc)though some of the criticism against it is really unfair(Supes killing,mass destruction) Avengers was easily a superior movie.

However I prefer MOS cause it excelled in certain areas that I personally give more weight,it's lead villains were VASTLY superior,the central story line was good,and I enjoyed the additions it made to the Supes mythology(kryptons history,society).

#77 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers had plenty of silly plot moments too (Banner: "My secret is that I'm always angry and because I said this I can now transform at will, without actually being angry, for the sake of plot."). Avengers did have holes as well.

Plot hole is the new word for "my brain cant put 2 and 2 together",most of the idiots who say plot hole have no clue what it even means.

#78 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5063 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers by a landslide. MOS was very forgettable.

#79 Edited by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

@wolverine08 said:

Avengers wrecks.

IMO, Zack Snyder and David Goyer just got too caught up in trying to run away from stereotypes like Superman being a boyscout that they just started trying to hard at a certain point. One moment that sticks out for me was the end of the movie when after Superman dumped a satellite and flew away, a female soldier commented on "He's kinda hot." Just a laughably forced attempt at showing us how "hip" and cool this new Superman is.

Heh, I completely agree about that scene. Ugh... I'm cringing right now even thinking about it. It was just one of multiple cheese moments in MoS.

I do think Avengers had its share of cheesy moments too that felt like little more than the writers trying to say "Hey, look! We're funny!" Sure you are... but needlessly so. (e.g. *random shield agent playing Galaga scene* comes to mind)

#80 Edited by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

@entropy_aegis said:

Plot hole is the new word for "my brain cant put 2 and 2 together",most of the idiots who say plot hole have no clue what it even means.

Heh... agreed.

@entropy_aegis said: "I prefer MOS cause it excelled in certain areas that I personally give more weight,it's lead villains were VASTLY superior,the central story line was good,and I enjoyed the additions it made to the Supes mythology(kryptons history,society)."

Good points. I agree with this too.

#81 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

@wolverine08 said:

Avengers wrecks.

IMO, Zack Snyder and David Goyer just got too caught up in trying to run away from stereotypes like Superman being a boyscout that they just started trying to hard at a certain point. One moment that sticks out for me was the end of the movie when after Superman dumped a satellite and flew away, a female soldier commented on "He's kinda hot." Just a laughably forced attempt at showing us how "hip" and cool this new Superman is.

Heh, I completely agree about that scene. Ugh... I'm cringing right now even thinking about it. It was just one of multiple cheese moments in MoS.

I do think Avengers had its share of cheesy moments too that felt like little more than the writers trying to say "Hey, look! We're funny!" Sure you are... but needlessly so. (e.g. *random shield agent playing Galaga scene* comes to mind)

He is hot though!

Just look at those muscles!

#82 Posted by youknowwhattodo (1165 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

@wolverine08 said:

Avengers wrecks.

I think the difference in my eyes is that MOS took itself very seriously while the Avengers didn't, so any silly moments popped out more and seemed out of place in MOS.

#83 Posted by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio

@omnicrono said:

@wolverine08 said:

@wolverine08 said:

Avengers wrecks.

He is hot though!

I love how you can see his bicep vein even when he's suited.

#84 Posted by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

@omnicrono said:

@wolverine08 said:

@wolverine08 said:

Avengers wrecks.

He is hot though!

I love how you can see his bicep vein even when he's suited.

That's what workinggggggg outttttttttt while do for ya!

#85 Posted by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

I think the difference in my eyes is that MOS took itself very seriously while the Avengers didn't, so any silly moments popped out more and seemed out of place in MOS.

I can agree with that. There was absolutely a difference in overall tone and atmosphere between the two films, which is probably why certain cheesy scenes in Avengers, such as the Galaga moment, don't stand out as much in people's minds as say... "I just think he's kinda hot," in MoS.

Heh, though I will say that that one incredibly forced attempt at humor/levity at the end of MoS was really the only scene like it in the film, from where I sit. Mind you, there were other cheesy moments in MoS, but none of them felt half as contrived or silly as that one.

#86 Edited by entropy_aegis (15324 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Either that or his shirt is made of some really special material,and now I'm starting to wonder if MOS just dodged a bullet here,Joel Schumacher movie bat suits were created with the same intent,to showcase the hero(s) body.

#87 Edited by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

He is hot though!

Haha, okay... I've just got to know, are you male or female, Wolverine08? (in real life)

Not that a man cannot appreciate another man's physical prowess, but I am simply curious. I can't tell if you are merely being sarcastic sometimes. lol

#88 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

He is hot though!

Haha, okay... I've just got to know, are you male or female, Wolverine08? (in real life)

Not that a man cannot appreciate another man's physical prowess, but I am simply curious. I can't tell if you are merely being sarcastic sometimes. lol

Naw, I'm a dude. I'm playing the fangirl today!

#89 Posted by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Either that or his shirt is made of some really special material,and now I'm starting to wonder if MOS just dodged a bullet here,Joel Schumacher movie bat suits were created with the same intent,to showcase the hero(s) body.

I have no doubt it was made of special material. I do think those are his "real" muscles and veins bulging, though, not simply the suit.

#90 Posted by Omnicrono (1832 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha! That's what I thought. No worries.

You're doing a good job with the fangirl thing. lol

#91 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it's not completely odd that they're trying to showcase Cavil's body. Chris Hemsworth is running around with sleeveless costumes and gets a shirtless scene here and there, Hugh Jackman has gotten a shirtless scene in ever X film he's appeared in besides First Class IIRC, Chris Evans was showing off his body as Cap, etc.

I guess CBM producers are catching unto the fact that females watch these things too.

#92 Posted by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

Haha! That's what I thought. No worries.

You're doing a good job with the fangirl thing. lol

But don't forget!

#93 Edited by Skyfire (752 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS for what it was is a decent flick, sure it had pretty dumb moments, zero chemistry between Lois and Superman, and the bleak tone was a turn off, but the plot wasn't stupid, the villain was good and had exhilarating (if overlong) action scenes. Henry Cavill was a great choice for Supes. Overall it wasn't the worst or best CBM ever, somewhere in between.

That said though Avengers stomps it into the ground. Hard.

Although MOS in turn was better than Iron man 3 or Thor 2.

#94 Edited by NICK31898 (2179 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS overall just had a better plot and more action. The avengers movie was full of coincidences, and not much action.

#95 Posted by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio

@skyfire said:

MOS for what it was is a decent flick, sure it had pretty dumb moments, zero chemistry between Lois and Superman, and the bleak tone was a turn off, but the plot wasn't stupid, the villain was good and had exhilarating (if overlong) action scenes. Henry Cavill was a great choice for Supes. Overall it wasn't the worst or best CBM ever, somewhere in between.

That said though Avengers stomps it into the ground. Hard.

Although MOS in turn was better than Iron man 3 or Thor 2.

I can agree with this. Mediocre.

#96 Posted by RogueShadow (10766 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers.

#97 Posted by Perethorn (3401 posts) - - Show Bio
#98 Posted by Manchine (4169 posts) - - Show Bio

@jaken7 said:

Avengers by a country mile.

ULTAMAN of Steel was ok but that was it but wasn't even close to being "GOOD". I do admit it wasn't Watchmen bad though. SHUDDER!

#99 Edited by Wolverine08 (42409 posts) - - Show Bio
#100 Posted by RustyRoy (12772 posts) - - Show Bio

MoS actually gets better after multiple viewings, Avengers pretty much feels the same. Both are equally good movies IMO.