• 167 results
Super_Buck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Super_Buck

Poll Avengers or Man of Steel? (174 votes)

Avengers 58%
Man of Steel 36%
Both, I simply cannot decide 6%

I don't think this has been done, so I'll do it anyway. Both films have holes in it, yet both were largely enjoyable. Ratings and box office aside, which film did you like more and why?

• 
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Avengers by a country mile.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers easily. There are holes and then there are fissures. Also, the characters are more enjoyable. Man of Steel was the Kristen Stewart of super hero movies.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If Avengers gets the majority vote, then I guess both films were crap.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers was better in every way.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers, still the best comic book movie.

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jaken7 said:

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Hombre De Hacero

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

Easily Man of Steel. I still don't understand what these "holes" are that everyone speaks of. Avengers had too many happy coincidences to be taken seriously. Not as bad as Rises though. Both Man of Steel and Avengers are two of my top 3 favorite CBMs. Just got done watching Avengers a few hours ago actually haha. Netflix needs to get on that s**t with Man of Steel.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers. Man of Steel had alotta holes for me, and to be honest I felt like the first half of the movie was just trying to get to the action as quickly as it could.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Emperorb777

Man of Steel

Avengers felt like it was a movie made for kids. It wasn't serious at all it's filled with jokes with the heroes in situations that don't feel dire at all.

No Caption Provided

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Lateralus

Easily Man of Steel. I still don't understand what these "holes" are that everyone speaks of. Avengers had too many happy coincidences to be taken seriously. Not as bad as Rises though. Both Man of Steel and Avengers are two of my top 3 favorite CBMs. Just got done watching Avengers a few hours ago actually haha. Netflix needs to get on that s**t with Man of Steel.

Why send Zod to the Phantom Zone when the planet and everyone on it is dying anyway? Hell, why didn't Jor-El just use the ship that he sent Zod on to leave the planet with his family? Lois Lane is really Wonder Woman (can withstand arctic night time temperatures in a light winter jacket, Kryptonian laser blasts affect her less than actual Kryptonians, can resist gravitational pull of a black hole, shows up at just the right time when Supes snaps Zod's neck....), Why terraform Earth and not a vacant planet such as Mars or Venus?, How is Clark employed by the military early in the film? I am guessing he is a master forger (which he probably forged a journalistic background to get hired at The Daily Planet at the end of the movie), Why was Clark's suit on a scout ship that crashed on Earth hundreds of thousands of years before Clark landed on Earth? During the movie they explain that Clark's powers come from Earth's atmosphere (not the sun like in the comics)...so how can he breathe in space? Why did Zod take Lois Lane on the ship?

These are just some of the plot holes this movie has.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel

Avengers felt like it was a movie made for kids. It wasn't serious at all it's filled with jokes with the heroes in situations that don't feel dire at all.

No Caption Provided

The characters in Man of Steel didn't even feel like the situation was dire. Perry and the Daily Planet crew watched from their windows the city being destroyed and barely even reacted. The family that Zod was fire eye beams at just inched their way into a corner instead of trying to get the hell out of there. Nothing felt dire about the Man of Steel. Nothing felt nothing about the Man of Steel. The movie was emotionless. You may feel the Avengers was written for kids, I feel Man of Steel was written by kids given the 8 bajillion plot holes.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

MoS, but it does have its flauts. Neither are ageing well imho.

Husk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS

Avengers is WAAAY overrated... my second leastfav Marvel movie so far (behind Man-Thing)

ALL the characters in Avengers are completely different interactions and personalities from the other movies they were in of the MU movie series.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17  Edited By Superguy1591

@lateralus: You're wrong on all accounts, and this is coming from a man who didn't love MOS.

1.) Jor-El didn't send Zod away, the council did. In case you missed it, they refused to believe Jor-El that Krypton was doomed.

2.) For the same reason why Joe Chill didn't shoot Bruce after he shot Thomas and Martha so that there are no witnesses. The origin says so.

3.) Lois Lane is a notoriously PIS character, but that's as much a plot hole as Odin magically being able to send Thor to Earth after we were told that Thor can no longer go to Earth or Bruce Banner magically knowing where to meet all the Avengers or Iron Man showing up in Germany when Loki was there. It's called plot conveniences, all movies have them.

4.) Go back to science class, buddy. Venus falls outside of the habitable zone, only Mars and Earth are in this zone in our solar system. And they picked Earth because they came looking for Kal-El. Are they supposed leave once they have him?

5.) He just showed up for work, that happens a lot. I think someone even says that they're looking for guys to work. Lois, obviously, forged his qualifications for the Daily Planet. Hence the cute little "Clark Kent? So nice to meet you" flirt smirk between the two of them.

6.) They never said that, Clark lost his powers due to the red solar radiation on the ship that was emulating Krypton's atmosphere.

7.) In case Superman didn't cooperate.

The situation in Man of Steel didn't feel dire, did you miss all the people having cars, debris and buildings fall on them? Did you also forget that in The Avengers, Hulk ran through an office building FILLED WITH PEOPLE STILL WORKING?!

Man, I didn't love Man of Steel because I thought it brushed over Clark's humanity, but the hate this film gets is amazing. Is it The Godfather? No, but some of you act like it's The Phantom.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lateralus

@superguy1591:

1. You may be right, been at least 4 months since I watched it, still don't get why Jor-El doesn't have a bigger ship prepared

2. Basically bad writing

3. It would be one thing if she PIS'd in a scene or 2....but she PIS's the entire damn movie. As far as Thor, I agree...Banner on the other hand it would be fairly easy to figure out where to go considering there was a giant portal and beam coming from Stark Tower....and all the aliens were coming from there. Iron Man in Germany they don't explain but it is far from implausible like Lois showing up when Kal is killing Zod.

4. Venus is not in the habitable zone for HUMANS. I am not implying humans live on Venus, I am implying Kryptonians do so. You remember, the same Kryptonians that like getting sun dipped?

6. They never say red solar radiation. They do say atmosphere a ton though.

7. And how would Superman have been uncooperative given the atmospheric conditions on that ship?

Sure people were still in buildings in the Avengers. Should they have gone out on the streets in the middle of an alien invasion?

I am not saying it is as bad as piles of crap that Catwoman, Electra, and Batman and Robin levels...but it is in the Green Lantern and Daredevil range.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 4

lets see the BEST DC movie ever (or second best depending on your feelings on TDK)

vs

The Worst Marvel Avengers Universe movie.....

hmmmm

either we are giving Avengers (the movie) too much credit where none is due, or we are trying to undermine the awesome that is MOS

personally I feel that Green Lantern vs Avengers is a better DCvMarvel Matchup...or MOSvCAPA2 if we wanted to go the other route

Doctor_Divine_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So according to DC fanboys,

if the GA loves a Marvel Studios film, their word is bull and the film becomes overrated.

If the GA hates a DC/WB film, their word is still bull.

:P

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel:

*Insert music that goes all BUUUUUUM BUM BUM DADADA BUUUM DADA in order to make the action and drama seem more intense and original than it actually is*

"LEAVE MY MOOOM ALOOOONEEEEEE"

"NO! DON'T HEAT VISION THOSE 4 PEOPLE... right after we killed hundreds through collateral damage of our fight anyway."

*Kisses Lois despite not knowing her even vaguely* "Who were you again?" "Me? I'm Hopeman. Yeno.. the alien guy in spandex, who's just flying around f*cking raping Metropolis" "We should hook up sometime you seem interesting"

*Insert stupid great power comes with great responsibility moment where Superman lets his Dad die in order to teach him a lesson. A lesson which isn't even explicitly described to us, or even has a role later on in the film. They just killed the old b*stard for no reason*

Jor-El was alright, I suppose.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers wrecks.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus:

1.) I am, that's what he was arguing in the beginning of the movie. Zod believed him, that's why Zod told him to join him.

2.) The origin says Jor-El and Lara die on Krypton. That's what they did.

3.) I hate Lois Lane...

4.) They came to Earth for Kal-El.

6.) When Superman wakes up on the ship, he is met with the a light in his eyes that implies sun light. He passed out because the solar radiation robbed him of his powers and the atmosphere became too heavy for him.

7.) It's called planning ahead.

Also, the suit was in ship because it was Kara's ship.

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@jaken7 said:

Same. There was more going on, less unnecessary destruction and more focus on each of the characters

MetalJimmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus:

So the part where Perry is digging that woman out of the rubble as the World Engine is steadily crushing the city around them didn't feel dire to you? The fact that most of the city was in ruins didn't feel dire? You didn't feel a sense of urgency when that family was freaking out and trapped, about to be incinerated in the red hot beams of a madman bent on annihilating the entire human population? I'm sorry, but it seems like you just didn't want to like the movie, and now you don't.

In Avengers the city was barely even touched. The Chitauri were literally aiming to blow up parked cars rather than aiming at the people themselves. Even the giant space whale ships weren't really doing any significant damage. I'm pretty sure the Hulk did more damage to the buildings than the actual alien invasion did.

In terms of setting a sense of urgency Man of Steel wins in a landslide.

For me Man of Steel was a better movie. I've owned Avengers far longer, but I've probably watched movies about the same number of times now.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MoS, for sure.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#27  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@i_like_swords: I don't really care if you don't like MoS, but if you're hating on the musical score you are insane. That score is one of Hans' best since Lion King imo. Its absolutely blows any other CBM film away.

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lateralus:

So the part where Perry is digging that woman out of the rubble as the World Engine is steadily crushing the city around them didn't feel dire to you? The fact that most of the city was in ruins didn't feel dire? You didn't feel a sense of urgency when that family was freaking out and trapped, about to be incinerated in the red hot beams of a madman bent on annihilating the entire human population? I'm sorry, but it seems like you just didn't want to like the movie, and now you don't.

In Avengers the city was barely even touched. The Chitauri were literally aiming to blow up parked cars rather than aiming at the people themselves. Even the giant space whale ships weren't really doing any significant damage. I'm pretty sure the Hulk did more damage to the buildings than the actual alien invasion did.

In terms of setting a sense of urgency Man of Steel wins in a landslide.

For me Man of Steel was a better movie. I've owned Avengers far longer, but I've probably watched movies about the same number of times now.

I think it is the other side. I think you guys want to like the movie soooo much because it is Superman that you forgive the plot hole per minute film. And how am I supposed to feel a sense of urgency when the characters in the movie do not? That family never felt the sense of urgency to run....they decided to inch closer to a corner. Like I have said before, even Mark Waid (who wrote Superman Birthright) said he did not wish to watch the movie again. Think about that. This is a guy who is getting to watch some things he has directly inspired on the big screen and doesn't think it is worth at least 1 more re watch?

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"It’s not for me. It had some very nice moments, several I wish I’d written (and at least three I did, I’m proud to say–there was lots of BIRTHRIGHT in it), but I can’t imagine wanting to watch it again anytime soon. YMMV. It’s a good science-fiction movie, but it’s very cold. It’s not a very satisfying super-hero movie. That said, if your favorite part of SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE was Superman standing in the Fortress while Jor-El lectured him, you’re gonna love MAN OF STEEL." - Mark Waid on Man of Steel

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved both. MOS gets a lot of flacked because of all the action and destrcuction and Superman crossing the line at the end and all, but we were all complaing about the lack of bada$$ery that was Superman Returns and then complaints still come in when they make Superman actually hit someone *smh*...go fig....

Anyways imho Avengers is the more important comicbook movie, movie to the genre. The story by no means was groundbreaking, but to have 4 other solo films weaving into the story and this being the sequel to them to create a bigger universe is unprecedented and we're all watching a comicbook universe truly come to life on the big screen.

So with that said, even tho it was AWESOME to watch Supes and Zod go at it on the big screen in all is city/planet shaking glory...it was ICONIC to watch the Avengers, one of the greatest superhero teams ever, assemble together on film for the 1st time.

Maximizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers was much, much harder to pull off. More respect there. That being said, it gets a lot of heat for not having a 'proper story' (which is just nitpicking to the success IMO). How could you demand that when the film is dealing with 6 characters as opposed to 1? MoS barely handled it either.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#33  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@maximizer said:

Avengers was much, much harder to pull off. More respect there. That being said, it gets a lot of heat for not having a 'proper story' (which is just nitpicking to the success IMO). How could you demand that when the film is dealing with 6 characters as opposed to 1? MoS barely handled it either.

...How is complaining about a lack of story nitpicking in any way? That is a major complaint if someone wants to use it.

And yes, the story was very weak. Aliens invade the Earth and we need to stop it. That's been done hundreds of times and is a very thin plot line. Its not nitpicking if that is your complaint. The amount of characters you deal with is irrelevant. Lord of the Rings deals with more main characters than Avengers and didn't' have to sacrifice plot.

(not really caring about the movie vs movie debate atm merely addressing your comment)

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Bierschneeman

wait a second.

30 mins ago there was only 32 votes...and MOS was winning 65% to 35%

I CALL SHENANIGANS.

someone voted 40 times.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for wavemotioncannon
WaveMotionCannon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avengers all day. I liked MoS too, it dragged in places but it was a good movie and I loved the ending.

Maximizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Avengers dealt with 4 characters from separate franchises. Snyder/Goyer couldn't even introduce and handle Lois, who is basically MoS' version of Hawkeye :P

And lol, MoS' story was just as generic. I personally think they executed it better, though.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MOS.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll go with Man of Steel. I admit, it was a little slow to cook, but when it started sizzling it sizzled to the end. It has better visuals and action. Avengers was all over the place.

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bierschneeman

@monsterstomp said:

@bierschneeman: MoS is getting stomped mate.

so your saying it completely legit for MOS to have a solid lead for 5 hours straight, and then in the last 30 mins we see More people vote than had voted the 5 previous hours, and it just so happens (when you do the math) that 97% of these new voters are voting against the lead.??

so all the Avengers fans just decided to vote at the same time? garnering more votes per minute than before, AND more votes total than most non-CVemployee polls get after a week of staying up?

look it could be legit,

but statistically speaking. its almost impossible

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lateralus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

so your saying it completely legit for MOS to have a solid lead for 5 hours straight, and then in the last 30 mins we see More people vote than had voted the 5 previous hours, and it just so happens (when you do the math) that 97% of these new voters are voting against the lead.??

so all the Avengers fans just decided to vote at the same time? garnering more votes per minute than before, AND more votes total than most non-CVemployee polls get after a week of staying up?

Considering the time of day it was posted (2:30 a.m in the morning for us East Coasters), some people are just waking up. I think before the day is out this will have tons of voters because it is 2 very well known movies that everyone has an opinion on.

frozen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#43 frozen  Moderator

Man of Steel.

Avengers was too jokey and mediocre. Man of Steel had a direction and story.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man of Steel:

*Insert music that goes all BUUUUUUM BUM BUM DADADA BUUUM DADA in order to make the action and drama seem more intense and original than it actually is*

"LEAVE MY MOOOM ALOOOONEEEEEE"

"NO! DON'T HEAT VISION THOSE 4 PEOPLE... right after we killed hundreds through collateral damage of our fight anyway."

*Kisses Lois despite not knowing her even vaguely* "Who were you again?" "Me? I'm Hopeman. Yeno.. the alien guy in spandex, who's just flying around f*cking raping Metropolis" "We should hook up sometime you seem interesting"

*Insert stupid great power comes with great responsibility moment where Superman lets his Dad die in order to teach him a lesson. A lesson which isn't even explicitly described to us, or even has a role later on in the film. They just killed the old b*stard for no reason*

Jor-El was alright, I suppose.

No Caption Provided

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Bierschneeman

@lateralus said:

@bierschneeman said:

@monsterstomp said:

Considering the time of day it was posted (2:30 a.m in the morning for us East Coasters), some people are just waking up. I think before the day is out this will have tons of voters because it is 2 very well known movies that everyone has an opinion on.

ohh im sure,

im just commenting on how statistically speaking, we just entered the twilight zone, last time I saw two major movies polled like this, they didn't hit 75 votes, AT ALL but we managed to do it in 5 hours, 45 of those votes happening every minute for a solid 45.

EDIT: I went back and checked, of the last 8 CBM polls last weeks Iron Man 3 vs Thor 2 had more votes than any of them, with 35 votes. the rest we between 22 and 31.... "lawyered" though this also calls into question the siginificant lead MOS had...with 32 votes that also remains a statistical anomaly

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lol at that 1%

Bierschneeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for life_without_progress
life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

The Avengers be a mile.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 the_stegman  Moderator

MOS. Although it had flaws, the first half of Avengers was boring. Just characters bickering with each other. Doesn't get good until Banner hulks out.

Avatar image for deactivated-60600b79ed2c5
deactivated-60600b79ed2c5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avengers