• 114 results
#1 Edited by Doomnaut (1994 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers

Man Of Steel

Which movie did you think was better?

#2 Posted by Wolverine08 (45653 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers. Man of Steel, while overall a good movie, had a couple of flaws that brought it down.

#3 Posted by The Stegman (26043 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers was better.

#4 Edited by Doomnaut (1994 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump.

#5 Posted by Lvenger (21233 posts) - - Show Bio
#6 Posted by mike5555 (55 posts) - - Show Bio

It's close! But I say Avengers is an A+ & Man of Steel is an A. Avengers could have been better if they let Hulk & Thor go instead of containing them as a Iron Man w/ sidekicks show. DC let Superman unleash his full power.

#7 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18779 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved both. Avengers though

#8 Posted by JulieDC (1079 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers.

#9 Posted by biggkeem89 (1400 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers. MoS wasn't good

#10 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel

#11 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2104 posts) - - Show Bio

MOS. I will never like Avengers that much because the villain wasn't a real threat. I've said so about a million times. What I don't understand is how little that bothered everyone else. For all it's flaws, MOS had very menacing villains. I honestly think Avengers was a B-/C+. MOS was a solid B. Throw in that it actually had people discussing philosophical issues afterwards, about what constitutes a hero (something Avengers could have never done, it wasn't deep enough.) and MOS gets an A for me. It boggles my mind how anyone can think Avengers was better...but in the court of public opinion, it always will be.

#12 Posted by Wolverine08 (45653 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything:

Loki killed 70 people in 2 days and nearly managed to destroy the whole of NYC. How is that not threatening?

#13 Posted by lilben42 (2605 posts) - - Show Bio
#14 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7964 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers hands down, I enjoyed Man of Steel but it didn't have the same effect on me. I've seen a Superman movie before I have never ever seen The Avengers together kicking ass on screen, I nearly cried.

#15 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@manwhohaseverything said:

MOS. I will never like Avengers that much because the villain wasn't a real threat. I've said so about a million times. What I don't understand is how little that bothered everyone else. For all it's flaws, MOS had very menacing villains. I honestly think Avengers was a B-/C+. MOS was a solid B. Throw in that it actually had people discussing philosophical issues afterwards, about what constitutes a hero (something Avengers could have never done, it wasn't deep enough.) and MOS gets an A for me. It boggles my mind how anyone can think Avengers was better...but in the court of public opinion, it always will be.

It's interesting you say that when who exactly was a threat to Supergod in MoS? Nobody. The people of Earth were used to weaken and capture him. Supergod had little to no fighting ability (or experience if you prefer that) and for all intents and purposes slaughtered the best fighters among his own race (though to be fair his scientist father did too), those bred and created to fight, all the while being slightly outnumbered. In all of the fights he owned, probably because he had no weaknesses but that's another point entirely.

Avengers were threatened, they faced overwhelming numbers, IM's suit was badly damaged, Hulk getting pounded by the airships, Thor being stabbed by Loki, Cap running on fumes, SHIELD wanting to detonate a nuke. This is of course due to Marvel not writing their characters to be all powerful. We all know how weak movie Thor is compared to his comic version, same with Cap, IM, Hulk, etc.

As for the philosophical debates it spawned, okay if that's what you went to it to see good for you. Personally I go to movies to be entertained, and Avengers did that much better than MoS.

#16 Posted by Wolverine08 (45653 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15 said:

It's interesting you say that when who exactly was a threat to Supergod in MoS? Nobody. The people of Earth were used to weaken and capture him. Supergod had little to no fighting ability (or experience if you prefer that) and for all intents and purposes slaughtered the best fighters among his own race (though to be fair his scientist father did too), those bred and created to fight, all the while being slightly outnumbered. In all of the fights he owned, probably because he had no weaknesses but that's another point entirely.

Avengers were threatened, they faced overwhelming numbers, IM's suit was badly damaged, Hulk getting pounded by the airships, Thor being stabbed by Loki, Cap running on fumes, SHIELD wanting to detonate a nuke. This is of course due to Marvel not writing their characters to be all powerful. We all know how weak movie Thor is compared to his comic version, same with Cap, IM, Hulk, etc.

As for the philosophical debates it spawned, okay if that's what you went to it to see good for you. Personally I go to movies to be entertained, and Avengers did that much better than MoS.

This.

#17 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

Loki killed 70 people in 2 days and nearly managed to destroy the whole of NYC. How is that not threatening?

And that wasn't even him trying to kill people, he was all about chaos. Nobody could figure out his plan, he was willingly captured, and nearly turned the entire team on itself. Needless to say, the Avengers were greatly threatened, and had the battle gone on longer they would have lost.

#18 Edited by Supreme Marvel (11271 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel for me.

#19 Posted by DEGRAAF (7918 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel

#20 Posted by War Killer (20292 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers was better, but unlike Man of Steel, had been built up over 5 movies where MoS is only the beginning of what will hopefully be the start of the DC Cinematic Universe.

I do find it funny though that Superman did everything the Avengers did but on his own. xD

#21 Posted by tigerkaya (1289 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers for me hands down. I found Superman lacked heroism in the movie and became more of a glorified Dragon Ball Z live movie.

#22 Posted by deaditegonzo (3690 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers was better, but unlike Man of Steel, had been built up over 5 movies where MoS is only the beginning of what will hopefully be the start of the DC Cinematic Universe.

I do find it funny though that Superman did everything the Avengers did but on his own. xD

In before: "They didnt let the City get Destroyed!"

They also didnt face the world engine... >.>

#23 Posted by Binski (647 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a real Sophies choice for me....I'm cheating and saying Dark Knight

#24 Posted by War Killer (20292 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer said:

In before: "They didnt let the City get Destroyed!"

They also didnt face the world engine... >.>

True, Iron Man also saved New York from a nuke which was impressive.

#25 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

Its not really fair, don't you think?

Avengers in not as good as everyone paints it to be.

#26 Posted by MaccyD (5111 posts) - - Show Bio

@sandman_: You know going against mainstream is now mainstream, don't you?

#27 Edited by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by Squalleon (4958 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny that people don't remember that the first 45 minutes of avengers are actually boring.
I dare you to go see the movie...the whole movie not the last battle in NY and say you didn't get bored.

Anyway i enjoyed MOS better but it has flaws.

#29 Edited by flameboy298 (1917 posts) - - Show Bio

Both were good,Bothered me how they kept trying crack wise jokes that weren't even funny in Avengers but it was a average movie.

#30 Edited by Tyrus (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers.

Sorry but Man of Steel just lost something through it's tone and I felt somewhat empty once I left the theatre.

#31 Edited by S0N_of_D3ADP00L (113 posts) - - Show Bio

Both were great but I think The Avengers take it.

#32 Posted by SandMan_ (4528 posts) - - Show Bio

It's funny that people don't remember that the first 45 minutes of avengers are actually boring.

I dare you to go see the movie...

the whole movie

not the last battle in NY and say you didn't get bored.

This is how I feel about Avengers.

#33 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

I dare you to go see the movie...

the whole movie

not the last battle in NY and say you didn't get bored.

I've seen The Avengers roughly 10 times, it's not at all boring. It builds up throughout the entire movie, hitting its climax at that final battle, though I do admit unlike MoS there isn't an action scene every 5-10 minutes.

And you don't need to dare anyone to go see it, iirc it made over 1.5 billion dollars world wide so I'd say a few people saw it.

#34 Posted by Wolverine08 (45653 posts) - - Show Bio

The only thing MOS has over Avengers is action. Besides that it is inferior to Avengers in every way.

#35 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08: Critics and fans overwhelmingly agree with you.

#36 Posted by Wolverine08 (45653 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15:

That is because I am right :)

#37 Edited by ccraft (5590 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed

Loki < Zod

I honestly don't see how they became such an awesome team, they never worked together before, but you have Hulk & Thor and then Cap & IM working together pretty well. Don't make sense to me.

And then after Tony blew up the mother-ship every other monster soldier just fell to the ground *facepalm*

I mean imagine if those Illuminati members didn't decide to level half of NY, the mother-ship would have came in and took control of the world. So were they right in trying to blow up NY?

#38 Posted by Wolverine08 (45653 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know why people say Zod is so much better than Loki. Sure, he is physically stronger than Loki, but he had his share of stupid moments. He got beat up by Jor El (the genetically perfect science geek), even though he is supposed to be the perfect soldier, and Kal El, (a farm boy with a single minute of fighting experience or military training) beat the crap out of him and broke his neck.

#39 Posted by Lone_Wolf_and_Cub (5326 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers by a landslide

#40 Posted by Pokeysteve (8684 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel was better in almost every way (minus humor). The flaws people talk about don't really exist.

Avengers is right up there though. A hell of a ride.

2 of the best CBMs out there.

#41 Posted by Squalleon (4958 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15: Boring and builld up is different.If you remember the first scene of Avengers is an action scene and it is one of the worst car chase scenes i have seen.The whole Iron man repairs the helicarrier is boring,captain america vs a nameless soldier.Also Box Office and quality don't go together.

I admit that MOS had many flaws but Avengers was just a dream come true that steamed-up our judgement about it.

Also i don't want to start a flame war or something i just prefer MOS.

#42 Edited by SoA (5248 posts) - - Show Bio
#43 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15: Boring and builld up is different.If you remember the first scene of Avengers is an action scene and it is one of the worst car chase scenes i have seen.The whole Iron man repairs the helicarrier is boring,captain america vs a nameless soldier.Also Box Office and quality don't go together.

I admit that MOS had many flaws but Avengers was just a dream come true that steamed-up our judgement about it.

It's a difference of opinions. I was able to accept that the movie was going to get better as it progressed. I don't need to see the biggest action scenes ever created. I enjoyed those scenes you found boring. I agree about the box office, but that does have its uses. What shall we use instead, critic ratings, fan votes, or just your own opinion (just joking)? lol

There's no flame war, I thought MoS had its positives (way too much action to name one negative), I just liked Avengers a lot more. I was only pointing out a few things I found odd about anothers post, in my opinion anyway. I'm glad you enjoyed MoS. :]

#44 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@wolverine08 said:

I don't know why people say Zod is so much better than Loki. Sure, he is physically stronger than Loki, but he had his share of stupid moments. He got beat up by Jor El (the genetically perfect science geek), even though he is supposed to be the perfect soldier, and Kal El, (a farm boy with a single minute of fighting experience or military training) beat the crap out of him and broke his neck.

I found that odd as well, everything came so easily to Superman in MoS. Needs to learn to fly? Oh, he can just jump and try really hard for a minute. There, he's got it now! Takes on the supposed best warrior (who as you mentioned was defeated by a scientist lol), while having literally zero fighting experience. No problem. Destroys the entire city and doesn't feel bad about it, or suffer any backlash from it. Makes sense.

#45 Edited by Tyrus (1120 posts) - - Show Bio

People who say they don't want to start a flame war do want to start a flame war :P

#46 Posted by Squalleon (4958 posts) - - Show Bio

@tyrus: you will see that i didn't continue the conversation and that i ended it without offending anyone.

#47 Posted by THEOCITYLEGEND (1311 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio
#49 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2104 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of Steel was better in almost every way (minus humor). The flaws people talk about don't really exist.

This is well-worded. As it's been discussed ad nauseum I won't go into detail (or this thread will turn into a flame-war.) This isn't to say MOS was flawless, but neither was The Avengers...or TDK....or Iron Man I.

#50 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2104 posts) - - Show Bio

@xanni15: Even in your run down of the Avengers damage, none of it seems serious...because none of it was. Maybe a better way to put it is exactly when in the movie did you feel threatened by Loki? Maybe you did, but most people I know never did. Even some Avenger fans I know admit that, but say that was a flaw they were willing to over look because all they wanted was to have fun, and the Avengers delivered that. In the end, when a villain's defeat is mere comic fodder, that tells me even the writers never intended to make the situation that threatening. I honestly think Thor or Hulk (even the movie versions) could've won this solo. As for Kal beating the trained soldiers..I thought that had more to do with will than skill. He won because he wanted to more. Like how an underdog team in sports can beat a heavy favorite sometimes. To me Avengers was more like the heavy favorite going out and winning a lopsided game. As for the philosophical discussions generated by MOS...it's not why I saw the film, but was a bonus. Shows the movie has some depth. As I said earlier, I realize I'm in the minority here, most folks liked Avengers better. (critics, audiences, box-office...etc.) and that's cool. I just don't get it.