#1 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7714 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably because I watched it, from people who sell pirated movies

but I felt Avengers was a great movie, (6-7/10) but definitely overrated. It just wasn't really have you emotionally attatched. It was just a typical action movie.

#2 Posted by cattlebattle (12986 posts) - - Show Bio

Exactly, the plot was pretty common (team work overcomes all) and it was over all a mind less summer, popcorn flick designed for comic fanboys

I loved it and I am glad that it made a gazillion dollars, its good for the industry.. I just wouldn't call it "the greatest comic movie ever made" or whatever, there is much better ones that have come out

#3 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they did an excellent job. I'm surprised they gave each individual character their own part in the movie, great fights, and an okay story for a two hour movie. It's not as easy as making a movie about a single hero.

#4 Posted by BlackArmor (6141 posts) - - Show Bio

it was no lower than 8 and no higher than 9 on a 10 point scale

#5 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

The movie was meh it was corny but in a scale of 1 to 10 I give it a 7 but the little kids like it so no surprise

#6 Posted by HolySerpent (12634 posts) - - Show Bio

I couldn't agree more, not to mention the aliens didn't make sense...I really believe first class was a better film...

#7 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

It may be overrated, but lets ask that question again at the end of the summer and compare the rest of the comic adaptated movies that have been released. As far as how good the storyline goes, it doesn't really matter, because their not trying to get an oscar nomination for the storyline. I've waited my whole life for this movie and I'm happy it made to the big screen. I'm also tired of the chick Bella and the Bloodsuckers gaining all the movie praise, they've drug that in the mud, you wanna talk about overrated try Twilight!

#8 Posted by Grigoris (29 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed - good popcorn flick. Given how bad Thor was (it was painful to watch Natalie Portman stoop to such a vapid role), it was good to see them pull things together for the Avengers. I'm just surprised at how well its done. If it did that good, then the new Dark Knight movie and the Hobbit will surely set even greater records.

#9 Posted by War Killer (20343 posts) - - Show Bio

Avengers: The best superhero movie to date. :)

#10 Edited by k4tzm4n (49049 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Admitting you pirate movies on a public forum isn't exactly the best idea. ;)
  2. If people don't go for budgeting reasons, then why not just see a matinee? Seriously, the movie theater I go to is a big tourist spot (aka overpriced) and there are still days where I can see a movie for only $7. Something like Avengers needs the cinema experience. It's a blockbuster, and watching a crappy version on your computer or TV won't do the experience justice.
  3. I loved it. Is the plot amazing or is it a deep movie? Absolutely not. But, it's the most fun I've had in a movie in quite awhile. It's hilarious and does everything possible to appeal to what the fans want. I've seen it twice and I'll happily go a third or even fourth time. I enjoyed it that much, and this is coming from someone who originally thought it would be nothing more than generic and somewhat enjoyable.
Staff Online
#11 Posted by Mekboy (1192 posts) - - Show Bio

You have characters like the Hulk, Ironman and Thor. What are you supposed to do with them if not make it about massive explosions and stuff? Have them sit around a table and discuss bout their love life?

#12 Posted by hydrabob--defunct (14860 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

I agree with this man.

#13 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

I do believe it is overrated but just a wee bit. Story and plot is quite mediocre but the execution is beyond top-notch.

#14 Posted by KenTheProfile (412 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jnr6Lil: not to pick you but i hate the overrated, you may truly feel that but to me overated is code for two things. the person saying it does not have the ballls to say some many people like is not good. or they are just contraians. again not say this is you. also overrated is so blah. it means nothing with out you backing it uo if it's or any movie is a 7 what is a ten. it kinda like a top ten list it only real makes sense to the person who made it.

#15 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio
Its true. Avengers thrived from great marketing.
#16 Posted by BiteMe-Fanboy (7984 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

I'm with this guy.

#17 Posted by TheHeat (452 posts) - - Show Bio

A comic book movie that, so far, has made nearly $800 M worldwide "overrated"? Nah! I agree with @War Killer: Best superhero movie to date.

#18 Posted by JediXMan (30937 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a good movie. It was groundbreaking in the way they did it and how they led up to it. The story wasn't special, no, but it was still a good, fun film.

Yeah, I still prefer the Dark Knight and Batman Begins, but it's still a really good movie.

Moderator Online
#19 Posted by Mega_spidey01 (3078 posts) - - Show Bio

the avengers was awesome 10x better than x-men First class ! the best superhero team movie to me. i'm gonna go see it again.

#20 Posted by moywar700 (2775 posts) - - Show Bio

if op said the avengers movie were mediocre on the rotten tomatoes site, people would be all over him.

#21 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@moywar700 said:

if op said the avengers movie were mediocre on the rotten tomatoes site, people would be all over him.

Well the vine has got a more intelligent and open minded crowd than rotten tomatoes.

#22 Posted by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know I haven't heard anyone rate it as anything more than what it was, no one oversold it in any reviews I've heard or scene. People like the action and the characters are interesting because we've gotten to know them throughout five films. A lot of the time I hear it cal transformers done right, which it definitely is, and they are impressed by how Marvel was able to build up to it and still impress it's fans with the final result a film like this, which is probably the biggest comic book film risk to date. No one's saying this movie has a bold, telling plot, it's just your standard superheroes team up to beat supervillain story, and that's all it had to be. They didn't do any less than they needed to make the film widely accepted and enjoyed, and if they did more, on top of the risk the film already was, it may not have gone well. So no I don't think it's ever been overrated

#23 Posted by HolySerpent (12634 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a good COMIC book film...

#24 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

As some already said, Best Super hero movie ever, IMO.

This is the only movie that actually felt like a comic book coming to life. It's like they grabbed the comics pages, turned them to live action and made them move and gave them action. It was great, left me speechless.

Also, I think the plot and the characters were very good, specially for the little details. Im a person that likes how small things build up on a bigger one, and Avengers had that, little things for everyone, specially comics fans.

I loved it. It's a great fantastic super hero movie. Comic book movie is =/= than Super hero movie, but even though it's great on both genres, it totally stands out and owns in the super hero one. Specially because Nolan's Batman is a CB movie not a SH movie.

#25 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:

It was a good movie. It was groundbreaking in the way they did it and how they led up to it. The story wasn't special, no, but it was still a good, fun film.

Yeah, I still prefer the Dark Knight and Batman Begins, but it's still a really good movie.

^Yup. 
#26 Posted by Ms. Omega (4502 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

Agreed sir!

#27 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's just rated. A good film deserves good recognition. This is certainly a good film, and it deserves all the praise it's received.

#28 Posted by Deranged Midget (17716 posts) - - Show Bio

Why is everyone getting so defensive when the OP merely states his own opinion about the film? Everyone is entitled to say what they will about a certain topic. Was it necessary to make a thread about this? No, seems more like a need for attention. Regardless, I loved the film beyond recognition, that's my opinion and it shouldn't bother anyone whose opinion differs.

#29 Posted by baron2011 (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

good movie but far from great

#30 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@baron2011 said:

good movie but far from great

My sentiments exactly. The people telling us it was "The best super-hero film" aren't telling us WHY that's the case. I  can agree with those saying it was "fun" and that's all they were going for. They did a good job of getting what they were going for, but even for films baed on Marvel characters, I think I'd rate this one about 5th or 6th. It was better than the FF disasters, but I fail to see what this film had over either of the first two X-Men.
#31 Posted by Kallarkz (3303 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

Would agree.

#32 Posted by Dhor (282 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with the Op. The Avengers was a great movie but there are certain aspects of the film that are lacking. IMO X men first class has better. it had a great plot, characters and plenty of drama. On the other hand it didn`t have such "big " characters and it was easier to work with that. I really enjoyed The avengers but as a "blockbuster" and not film.

#33 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@Manwhohaseverything: I'll be honest, I didn't love the x-men films, and I've seen all of them except for First Class (only seen about half of that one). I can't put my finger on it, I just really didn't like those much; they were okay, not very good, not great.

The Avengers was spectacular, in my opinion, because each character had good screen time, they had good abilities to counter each other so they never seemed overpowered or underpowered, they had funny lines here and there to keep the audience happy and laughing, but they also had emotional moments like just after Coulson died, first he makes a joke saying "So that's what it does..." and then there's an emotional few scenes following, showing a side of Tony we never see, the side that actually cares about people. Cap keeps a level head and pulls Stark together, Fury was ingenius and portrayed as a smart, cunning guy, who always knows what's going on, Thor was brash but powerful and caring, and Hulk smashed. They came together as a team, and then they worked beautifully together, we got to see all their powers, got to see them work as a team, something the X-men never seemed to pull off in their movies, and Loki was a great villain. I found almost nothing wrong with the movie.

Anyway, of course people are allowed and encouraged to disagree with me, these are just my opinions. Avengers was fantastic, X-men were always kinda meh, and TDK is also fantastic, but for completely different reasons.

#34 Posted by daredevil21134 (12111 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

Agreed

#35 Posted by Illuminatus (9510 posts) - - Show Bio
@HolySerpent said:
I couldn't agree more, not to mention the aliens didn't make sense...I really believe first class was a better film...
Because nothing says quality like death by coin. Seriously, the climax of First Class was indescribably stupid.
#36 Edited by _Zombie_ (10455 posts) - - Show Bio

I disagree. I thought it was pulled off perfectly for what it was. Maybe not a 10, but I would definitely rate it at an 8 or a 9.

#37 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (1980 posts) - - Show Bio
@minigunman123:  
Fair enough. Nice to hear an explanation. I agree with some of what you said, disagree with some, but won't get into that. 
#38 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

@War Killer said:

AGREED

#39 Posted by Vance Astro (91286 posts) - - Show Bio
We all read comics, how could the plot have been any better for us? It was obviously going to be generic.It's the first of films based on characters alot of us read about nearly every wednesday.
#40 Posted by TDK_1997 (14985 posts) - - Show Bio

I still haven't watched it but even after all the comments in the Net,I still think that I won't like it that much.

#41 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7714 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

1. Admitting you pirate movies on a public forum isn't exactly the best idea. ;)
  2. I'm strongly against pirating movies to begin with.. but if people don't go for budgeting reasons, then why not just see a matinee? Seriously, the movie theater I go to is a big tourist spot (aka overpriced) and there are still days where I can see a movie for only $7. Something like Avengers needs the cinema experience. It's a blockbuster, and watching a crappy version on your computer or TV won't do the experience justice.
  3. I loved it. Is the plot amazing or is it a deep movie? Absolutely not. But, it's the most fun I've had in a movie in quite awhile. It's hilarious and does everything possible to appeal to what the fans want. I've seen it twice and I'll happily go a third or even fourth time. I enjoyed it that much, and this is coming from someone who originally thought it would be nothing more than generic and somewhat enjoyable.

1. I don't pirate them, I buy it from people who do. There's always people at the corner selling bootleg DVDs.

And I just think the movie is overrated. Probably because I'm so used to the deep X-Men movies.

#42 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7714 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

Why is everyone getting so defensive when the OP merely states his own opinion about the film? Everyone is entitled to say what they will about a certain topic. Was it necessary to make a thread about this? No, seems more like a need for attention. Regardless, I loved the film beyond recognition, that's my opinion and it shouldn't bother anyone whose opinion differs.

Thank you. This wasn't to disagree with anyone or get attention. Simply stating my opinion. and feel that people forget the good comic book movies before Avengers. @Ms. Omega said:

@War Killer said:

Agreed sir!

Of this year?

#43 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18399 posts) - - Show Bio

@k4tzm4n said:

2. I'm strongly against pirating movies to begin with.. but if people don't go for budgeting reasons, then why not just see a matinee? Seriously, the movie theater I go to is a big tourist spot (aka overpriced) and there are still days where I can see a movie for only $7. Something like Avengers needs the cinema experience. It's a blockbuster, and watching a crappy version on your computer or TV won't do the experience justice.

Agreed

#44 Posted by The Stegman (25035 posts) - - Show Bio
@cattlebattle

Exactly, the plot was pretty common (team work overcomes all) and it was over all a mind less summer, popcorn flick designed for comic fanboys

I loved it and I am glad that it made a gazillion dollars, its good for the industry.. I just wouldn't call it "the greatest comic movie ever made" or whatever, there is much better ones that have come out

This, I loved the movie, and enjoyed it thoroughly, but the best superhero movie ever? nah, still liked both Nolan Batman films better
#45 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@cattlebattle:

This, I loved the movie, and enjoyed it thoroughly, but the best superhero movie ever? nah, still liked both Nolan Batman films better

i have to disagree. i love the Nolan batman films, but this film is on par, if not better than dark knight,for 3 reasons:

1. The Story: The story is deeper than you think. It simply has a lot going on at once and manages to pull off plot points with legitimate reasons (trying to weaponize the cosmic cube to protect the world from people like Thor is just one example). The dark knight does this as well, but for me, it just continues this stupid push that all great heroes/superhero storeis must be dark and dreary. The story was fun and it did it without being perceived as annoying.

2. Character Development: All characters have a fight, funny line, you name it. Each character is handled respectfully and shown true growth. Dark knight does do this, but some characters are just there for others to grow. (yes, i know Coulson was the same, but this is one character against Montoya, Rachael, the mob boss (Forgot his name) and so on)

3. The Feel: Films dont feel like this anymore. Everyone came out of the theater with a f*** yeah attitude. Everything was just so well executed and so well done, that you never even felt the 2hr 20min go by.

I love the dark knight, but i feel this film is at the very least tied with the dark knight. It is a great popcorn flick that i think deserves to be recognized as a great film that did something no one else had tried before: Bringing together characters each established before in 5 movies, and doing it with style.

#46 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

^

LOL Get the heck outta here on par with TDK story you gotta be JK.

#47 Posted by GothamRed (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

@Superguy0009e: 100% agreed

#48 Posted by The Stegman (25035 posts) - - Show Bio
@Superguy0009e:  

@The Stegman said:

@cattlebattle:

i have to disagree. i love the Nolan batman films, but this film is on par, if not better than dark knight,for 3 reasons:

1. The Story: The story is deeper than you think. It simply has a lot going on at once and manages to pull off plot points with legitimate reasons (trying to weaponize the cosmic cube to protect the world from people like Thor is just one example). The dark knight does this as well, but for me, it just continues this stupid push that all great heroes/superhero storeis must be dark and dreary. The story was fun and it did it without being perceived as annoying.

2. Character Development: All characters have a fight, funny line, you name it. Each character is handled respectfully and shown true growth. Dark knight does do this, but some characters are just there for others to grow. (yes, i know Coulson was the same, but this is one character against Montoya, Rachael, the mob boss (Forgot his name) and so on)

3. The Feel: Films dont feel like this anymore. Everyone came out of the theater with a f*** yeah attitude. Everything was just so well executed and so well done, that you never even felt the 2hr 20min go by.

I love the dark knight, but i feel this film is at the very least tied with the dark knight. It is a great popcorn flick that i think deserves to be recognized as a great film that did something no one else had tried before: Bringing together characters each established before in 5 movies, and doing it with style. 

The only thing I truly agree with here is the fact that Avengers did a brilliant job tying in the other films leading up with it to this one..however, since that was the goal the whole time, I'd feel horribly let down if they failed in that aspect.  
1. To me TDK was a better story, the Avengers was good, but Dark Knight just felt deeper, from the curruption of Harvey Dent, to The Joker's plans for Gotham, trying to prove that "Everything burns" by causing mayhem and panic, To Bruce Wayne being pushed to his own limits like never before, Having Rachel being killed, sacrificing his own reputation toward the end so that the hero Gotham wanted, needed, Harvey Dent, could still live on. You say that the dark and dreary stories are getting old..but honestly, that's what Batman is, his whole mythos is rooted in the darkness, despair and reality. To take that away from him is dismantling the entire character and the world he lives in. 

2. I think you're mixing up character development for character usage, for the only characters to develop in Avengers were Widow and Hawkeye, due to them not having solo movies, thus having less info about them going in, everyone else was more or less the same as they were in their own films. The only major development was them coming together in the end to save the world. Where in TDK We see an expansion in Rachel's character, we see Bruce go through struggles and new challenges, we get to see Harvey Dent literally turn from Gotham's White Knight, to an agent of destruction and revenge, we get to see why the Joker does what he does, heck, one of the major things about the Dark Knight that I liked was it focused more on the Joker and Dent than it did on Batman himself, because to me, Batman's villains are what makes him. 

3. personally, I didn't say "F**K Yeah!!" when I left TDK because my jaw was on the floor, it still stands to be the best film I've seen since it has come out, it has everything a film needs, great dialogue, a great plot, great acting, and amazing villain, character development, a wonderful ending, action, drama, romance, literally EVERYTHING. To me the Avengers is a good movie, heck, a great movie, a fun popcorn flick and an entertaining way to spend a Friday night, but The Dark Knight AND  Batman Begins are just great movie period, it will leave you thinking and talking about them longer, they will have a greater impact on audiences and are just done better imo. Not saying I disliked Avengers, by any means, but I think what Nolan has done is taken an already great character and franchise, and made it an even greater legend.
#49 Posted by CODYSF (2053 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman said:

@Superguy0009e:

@The Stegman said:

@cattlebattle:

The only thing I truly agree with here is the fact that Avengers did a brilliant job tying in the other films leading up with it to this one..however, since that was the goal the whole time, I'd feel horribly let down if they failed in that aspect. 1. To me TDK was a better story, the Avengers was good, but Dark Knight just felt deeper, from the curruption of Harvey Dent, to The Joker's plans for Gotham, trying to prove that "Everything burns" by causing mayhem and panic, To Bruce Wayne being pushed to his own limits like never before, Having Rachel being killed, sacrificing his own reputation toward the end so that the hero Gotham wanted, needed, Harvey Dent, could still live on. You say that the dark and dreary stories are getting old..but honestly, that's what Batman is, his whole mythos is rooted in the darkness, despair and reality. To take that away from him is dismantling the entire character and the world he lives in. 2. I think you're mixing up character development for character usage, for the only characters to develop in Avengers were Widow and Hawkeye, due to them not having solo movies, thus having less info about them going in, everyone else was more or less the same as they were in their own films. The only major development was them coming together in the end to save the world. Where in TDK We see an expansion in Rachel's character, we see Bruce go through struggles and new challenges, we get to see Harvey Dent literally turn from Gotham's White Knight, to an agent of destruction and revenge, we get to see why the Joker does what he does, heck, one of the major things about the Dark Knight that I liked was it focused more on the Joker and Dent than it did on Batman himself, because to me, Batman's villains are what makes him. 3. personally, I didn't say "F**K Yeah!!" when I left TDK because my jaw was on the floor, it still stands to be the best film I've seen since it has come out, it has everything a film needs, great dialogue, a great plot, great acting, and amazing villain, character development, a wonderful ending, action, drama, romance, literally EVERYTHING. To me the Avengers is a good movie, heck, a great movie, a fun popcorn flick and an entertaining way to spend a Friday night, but The Dark Knight AND Batman Begins are just great movie period, it will leave you thinking and talking about them longer, they will have a greater impact on audiences and are just done better imo. Not saying I disliked Avengers, by any means, but I think what Nolan has done is taken an already great character and franchise, and made it an even greater legend.

Your the man hell yeah I agree what you said

#50 Posted by Agiyosi (32 posts) - - Show Bio

It was a fun movie, but Loki and the Chitauri just seemed lacking as villains/conflict considering the amassed power of Thor, Hulk, Iron Man, etc. I'm not trying to diminish Black Widow or Hawkeye, but if they can single-handedly take out heaps of Chitauri, then doesn't it entail that Earth's military could probably handle them? Cap's shield is cool, but it can't do anything an F-22 Raptor couldn't smoke outta existence. Just bugged me.