#1 Edited by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

- This is what pissed me off the most: Iron Man is now officially the leader of the team. I was afraid that they'd go down this route last episode, and my worst fears have been confirmed. It's a dumb-a*s decision that serves no purpose aside from the fact that Tony is the most popular character with the general public. Where's the corporate synergy when even the movie has Cap as the (informal) leader? Thinking about it just makes me want to go out and cripple someone - it goes everything that the Avengers and Cap are!

- I felt like there was so much banter at this episode that I got kinda nauseated. I get that they disbanded after some interpersonal conflicts and they don't get along well, but the amount of back-and-forth was just irritating at points. The weird attempts at being funny were...eh.

- Some characterizations feel kinda off. I know it's still early, but Thor comes across as just a brawler who wants to fight. The character shouldn't be this happy-go-lucky - Thor from EMH had the right mix of nobility and gravitas to go with his warrior spirit. He felt like a prince, this Thor doesn't.

- Can't say I'm really impressed by this episode's plot. The whole hero vs hero thing is dull to me, I don't know, maybe I'm just jaded after reading so much of it. Skull's plan comes across as half-arsed really, hardly the manipulator he is, and he's still wearing that stupid armor.

- We now know that the Cabal is made up of Red Skull, (possibly) MODOK, Attuma, Doom, and what was earlier confirmed as Dracula. While I like the concept of an evil team opposing the Avengers - it should be noted that the Avengers have a supervillain counterpart - the Masters of Evil. But eh, whatever.

- Exactly what makes Iron Man's new armor so special? It looked the same.

- I will say that the fight scenes were at least entertaining. The Hulk vs Thor fight especially, and when Hulk tried to lift Mjolnir - that was just funny. It's also worth noting that at least the dialogue isn't dumbed-down as everyone else hoped, there was some older teen humor here.

Despite the overall negative tone of my 'review', I'm still willing to give it an entire season before I make a final decision regarding the series. What did everyone else think?

#2 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio

Man of action has no idea how to writer, anything other than Generator rex was terrible

#3 Posted by sinnsayy (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I downloaded the ep. Off of iTunes when it was first available. I really don't want to go into details, but I will say this. The show is pure shit and I refuse to watch another ep. I hope it fails so bad that they shut down half way through the season. As long as people watch this junk they will think its a good show and it really isn't.

#4 Posted by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

No one else has seen it?

#5 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

No one else has seen it?

Guess not.

but i'd be happy to discuss it.

#6 Posted by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

No one else has seen it?

Guess not.

Sure. What did you think, man? Did you like how Hulk was portrayed? Because I hated the hell out of Cap's portrayal.

#7 Edited by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron man has been the team leader on multiple occasions, people tend to forget cap hasn't always been there. He isn't even an original member. Even when he was present he wasn't always leader.

#8 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@theacidskull said:

@veshark said:

No one else has seen it?

Guess not.

Sure. What did you think, man? Did you like how Hulk was portrayed? Because I hated the hell out of Cap's portrayal.

I hated thor;s portrayal also, man he is just a dumb brute here, i agree 1000%, the EMH thor was smart, witty, noble, and was awesome, here it's eh.

Hulk was okay, though i'm tired of MIND CONTROL and HULK VS THOR for nothing at all, they're fight has no meaning anymore, in EMH we were happy with the fight, here again is' eh.

Cap was Horrible, he acted like an idot, his voice actor is changed, in the first episode had the guy from EMH, here the voice seemed different.

Widow SHOULD not be here.

Hawkeye is awesome

Iron man is......i don't really know :/

#9 Edited by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

Iron man has been the team leader on multiple occasions, people tend to forget cap hasn't always been there. He isn't even an original member. Even when he was present he wasn't always leader.

I highly doubt that the choice to put Iron Man as the team leader has anything to do with comics history. It's more likely that as the most popular character of the team, he's the most logical - from a marketing standpoint - choice to be the leader and 'frontman'.

I'm fully-aware that Cap was not a founding member, and that there were times when he stepped aside to let others lead (Jan comes to mind). But in the comics it's been shown that the Avengers didn't become an effective team until Cap took over. Iron Man, while the original de facto leader, wasn't exactly a good one - and it also disappoints me that they took away such a major part of the Captain. His role as the leader of the Avengers is a defining aspect of the character.

At the very least, I hope that they let him take over at some point - much like EMH.

#10 Edited by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull

Yeah, Thor really came across as just a cavalier brute here. He was missing all of the nobility and heart of the EMH portrayal. In EMH we see him struggling with his place and with his family, showing fighting spirit but also sincerity. That being said - it's still early so I do hope they fix this later on.

Cap repeatedly telling Tony that 'he should lead' was just weird and felt forced. One successful mission and suddenly Tony's qualified to be the team leader? I much prefer EMH - where Tony was the de-facto leader from the get-go, but kinda stepped aside in S2 to let Cap take charge at points. Also, the voice actor for Cap lacks any of the commanding spirit that Brian Bloom had.

#11 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@theacidskull

Yeah, Thor really came across as just a cavalier brute here. He was missing all of the nobility and heart of the EMH portrayal. In EMH we see him struggling with his place and with his family, showing fighting spirit but also sincerity. That being said - it's still early so I do hope they fix this later on.

Cap repeatedly telling Tony that 'he should lead' was just weird and felt forced. One successful mission and suddenly Tony's qualified to be the team leader? I much prefer EMH - where Tony was the de-facto leader from the get-go, but kinda stepped aside in S2 to let Cap take charge at points. Also, the voice actor for Cap lacks any of the commanding spirit that Brian Bloom had.

Definitively, i hope they manage to polish all the characters , thor should be more like EMH. don't get me wrong, i like the bromance between hulk and thor but that should not be the only appeal

Yeah, i know right? Take some responsibility cap! and also in EMH tony's leadership actually worked.

#12 Edited by Pyrogram (32263 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@theacidskull

Agreed, Thor sucks and I hated Cap.

#13 Posted by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull

Agreed. Hulk in EMH got some character development right from the start - we see him struggling for control with Banner, before really trying to be a hero, not a monster. I know it's only been the first two episodes, but still.

What did you think about the villains? I hate this Red Skull - I don't like this MCU Super-Soldier nonsense, I'd rather have the schemer from the comics any day. The Iron Skull outfit just looks stupid, and his plan was so bleh. That being said, I'm quite interested in this concept of a Cabal. Having Dracula on the team sounds really unorthodox but potentially interesting (maybe introduce Blade?). Doom doesn't sound like the type to team with Red Skull though, not only because of his ego but hey, he's a gypsy and the Nazis weren't exactly kind to their people. But I know they've worked together in the comics before.

#14 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@veshark said:

@theacidskull

Agreed, Thor sucks and I hated Cap.

You watched episode 2 too eh? :P

#15 Posted by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram

I take it you're a EMH fan judging by your avatar ;)

EMH actually made me like Thor as a character, he was very likeable - just so noble like a knight. I'm really hoping they fix this characterization soon, because it was distracting as hell watching this episode.

#16 Posted by Pyrogram (32263 posts) - - Show Bio
#17 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@theacidskull

Agreed. Hulk in EMH got some character development right from the start - we see him struggling for control with Banner, before really trying to be a hero, not a monster. I know it's only been the first two episodes, but still.

What did you think about the villains? I hate this Red Skull - I don't like this MCU Super-Soldier nonsense, I'd rather have the schemer from the comics any day. The Iron Skull outfit just looks stupid, and his plan was so bleh. That being said, I'm quite interested in this concept of a Cabal. Having Dracula on the team sounds really unorthodox but potentially interesting (maybe introduce Blade?). Doom doesn't sound like the type to team with Red Skull though, not only because of his ego but hey, he's a gypsy and the Nazis weren't exactly kind to their people. But I know they've worked together in the comics before.

yeah , i loved when hulk and banner talked, when the man meets the monster :P, it was AMAZING, i loved it. here ? it's just hulk, and i don't think we'll see any more of banner ;(

I loved RS voice actor but JEEZ the execution is beyoned terrible, IRON SKULL? what? i get the idea is interesting but if the execution sucks whats the point?

#18 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio
#19 Posted by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull Yeah, the idea's just silly, I can't take it seriously.

I really want to give this series a chance though but so far....gah, I'm already missing EMH.

#20 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@theacidskull Yeah, the idea's just silly, I can't take it seriously.

I really want to give this series a chance though but so far....gah, I'm already missing EMH.

And to think! they were making Planet hulk in season 3! Such a waste. i hope one day they bring EMH back, there's at least a slim chance of that, but Leob won't allow.

#21 Posted by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull

Really, wow, never heard of that one. Would've been cool, definitely. I wanted to see Surtur and how the Enchantress story ended up.

#22 Edited by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

@theacidskull

Really, wow, never heard of that one. Would've been cool, definitely. I wanted to see Surtur and how the Enchantress story ended up.

Yeah, that would have been awesome, of course leob knows best and he ruins everything.

#23 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: maybe cap will take the reigns later on, its only the second episode. Its not like EMH started off as good as it could be. It got better as it went

#24 Posted by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark: maybe cap will take the reigns later on, its only the second episode. Its not like EMH started off as good as it could be. It got better as it went

I actually thought that EMH had a really good start. Right from the beginning we get an epic two-parter - four villain prisons have simultaneous breakouts. A group of heroes have to stop them, when suddenly Graviton appears. I mean we had Graviton shooting shipping containers and lifting Manhattan, Thor blasting the crap out of villains, and just all-around badassery. It felt like a big story with high stakes - the way Avengers should be.

All we've seen so far in these two episodes of AA is some banal fighting and conflict. Now, I'm not saying that I won't give this series a chance, or that it won't improve later on, but I just think the debut could've been done better.

#25 Posted by tigerkaya (1231 posts) - - Show Bio

No t surprised they went the Amazing World of Gumball route. With the characters only being animated while the background looks like a picture was taken from a google image. As to Assemble I'm in the middle I don't think its bad but I also think its much better than Ultimate Spider-Man. This show I will probably pass, its too streamlined for my taste, I loved EMH for being more close to 616 universe and not that overly serious Ultimate universe. THis show isn't for me anyway I'll let the next generation of kids enjoy this show. So part 2 came out and the ep. is reduced to heroes vs heroes fight, terrible. Now I'm reading the fact that all the characterization is down the crapper. Such a shame, well hopefully DC animated will produce a cartoon that I can watch that isn't Batman related.

#26 Posted by Fallen_Crippled (6190 posts) - - Show Bio

Hate Thor and Cap. Don't know why Widow is even in this. The only good thing is Hawkeye, surprisingly.

#27 Posted by cameron83 (6416 posts) - - Show Bio

@veshark said:

- This is what pissed me off the most: Iron Man is now officially the leader of the team. I was afraid that they'd go down this route last episode, and my worst fears have been confirmed. It's a dumb-a*s decision that serves no purpose aside from the fact that Tony is the most popular character with the general public. Where's the corporate synergy when even the movie has Cap as the (informal) leader? Thinking about it just makes me want to go out and cripple someone - it goes everything that the Avengers and Cap are!

- I felt like there was so much banter at this episode that I got kinda nauseated. I get that they disbanded after some interpersonal conflicts and they don't get along well, but the amount of back-and-forth was just irritating at points. The weird attempts at being funny were...eh.

- Some characterizations feel kinda off. I know it's still early, but Thor comes across as just a brawler who wants to fight. The character shouldn't be this happy-go-lucky - Thor from EMH had the right mix of nobility and gravitas to go with his warrior spirit. He felt like a prince, this Thor doesn't.

- Can't say I'm really impressed by this episode's plot. The whole hero vs hero thing is dull to me, I don't know, maybe I'm just jaded after reading so much of it. Skull's plan comes across as half-arsed really, hardly the manipulator he is, and he's still wearing that stupid armor.

- We now know that the Cabal is made up of Red Skull, (possibly) MODOK, Attuma, Doom, and what was earlier confirmed as Dracula. While I like the concept of an evil team opposing the Avengers - it should be noted that the Avengers have a supervillain counterpart - the Masters of Evil. But eh, whatever.

- Exactly what makes Iron Man's new armor so special? It looked the same.

- I will say that the fight scenes were at least entertaining. The Hulk vs Thor fight especially, and when Hulk tried to lift Mjolnir - that was just funny. It's also worth noting that at least the dialogue isn't dumbed-down as everyone else hoped, there was some older teen humor here.

Despite the overall negative tone of my 'review', I'm still willing to give it an entire season before I make a final decision regarding the series. What did everyone else think?

It seems nowadays that the main appeal is childish comedy. To hell with everything else.

80% low comedy

10% action

5% story

5% everything else (pacing,visuals,etc)

#28 Edited by ULTRAstarkiller (4931 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought they were doing a JL to JL Unlimited thing but turns out they're doing a Batman the animated series to The Batman thing.

#29 Edited by Killemall (16967 posts) - - Show Bio

As an animated TV Show it was ok, not bad really.

The thing however is you expect Avengers to actually be something special its not.

I like the humor, i like the light hearted tone, but i hate the plot so far.. Empty , hollow episode half of which was a little to, what can i say, "Disney"...

Thor's character sucks....

Actually Falcon felt ok, Hulk is good no complains although more of a badass hulk would be better.

Again, happy with the TV series, not even remotely as impressed as with Avengers Earth Mightest Heroes.

If i had a rating for it, 3 star (out of 5)

I swear to god i am gonna write an angry fanboy letter to Marvel if Dr. Doom somehow agrees with work "under" Red Skull as a lackey...

#30 Edited by cattlebattle (12284 posts) - - Show Bio

This show has had only two episodes, so its hard to really pass judgement. I will point out that it kind of bugged at how many times Hulk did something to Hawkeye (hit him or threw him) as an attempt at humor I suppose?? I suppose its familiar to young kids seeing as Hulk punched Thor in the Avengers film but.....yeah, I just didn't get it, but on the other hand I am not 10 years old

Its no surprise the show would follow the Avengers film seeing as it made a bazillion dollars and its familiar for young kids and easy for them to identify the characters. Its also designed to sell toys, like most cartoons. So I don't know why anyone would expect anything great.

On that note, I have to say that I never really found Avengers Earths Mightiest Heroes anything that great either, if that cartoon had existed in the year 2002, hell yeah....it was about a decade late though. It had some really good episode like "Gamma World arc" and the Ultron arc....but other than that the show was like 20 minute fight scenes with a bunch of fan service. Nothing special.

I also don't understand the inclusion of Falcon. I mean, I know they are going for racial diversity, but Falcon?? He is just an utterly lame character, visually and physically. They could of created an original character, but, I suppose that would require effort so.......nah. They have other black characters they could have used if they didn't want to use Panther, like Photon, Goliath, Blue Marvel.......

#31 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (4693 posts) - - Show Bio

The first episode was so painful I couldn't watch the second episode. It's partially my fault for even thinking this show could live up to EMH and its also the shows fault for being bad. Pretty much all the characters are bad or mediocre except hawkeye, I kinda liked him but still prefer emh hawkeye. Story was ok, could of been better. The animation may have been good but thats never been a big selling point for me. I'd prefer weird animation like spectacular spider man and tell a great story than the animation of avengers assemble and be in pain watching it.

I'm going to try to watch the rest of the season but my expectations are extremely low. I'm going to rewatch EMH now and cry because I'm not getting a 3rd season.

#32 Edited by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (4693 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: I can't tell if he's trying to sabotage Marvel animated television or he's really that blind.

#33 Edited by Duncan (11327 posts) - - Show Bio

It needs work.

#34 Posted by sinnsayy (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I needs to be canceled actually

#35 Posted by Zearing (30 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't Earth's Mightiest Heroes certainly, but it has it's moments.

I actually loved what they did with the Hulk. Enough intelligence to understand the world around him, but definitely not Banner level.

Tony seemed like an idiot in the first episode, but he started to redeem himself in the second.

Cap isn't good by any means, but he's not bad either.

Widow was useless, it seemed like she was just in the show to bring the car to the Avengers and to fight Hawkeye.

I enjoyed Hawkeye, it looks like he is going to have a lot to do in this series.

Thor is supposed to be the Prince of Thunder, not the Thug or Brute of Thunder. Where's his nobility?

Falcon looked good so far, not sure about his obsession with Tony, though.

As for the villains, M.O.D.O.C. was dumb. Red Skull was OK, but not as good as he could have been.

The storyline was so-so. It wasn't the worst I've ever seen, but it could have been a lot better.

I'd give it a 6.5 out of 10.

#36 Edited by The Stegman (20782 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of my problems with the first episode are the same ones for this one.

-The dialogue is STILL campy and dumb.

-The humor, no matter who is making the jokes are still flat

-How many times must we see Hulk and Thor fight??? We Get it, they're the two powerhouses.

-Falcon is still useless, and having him instead of Black Panther is crazy

-Thor's attitude is completely juvenile

-Captain America has become a background character

-Black Widow sounds like she's from Washington, not Russia

-The animation is crummy compared to EMH

-The plot was boring and predictable

-The "new" armor Tony had did nothing the old one couldn't do

-We now have horrible soap opera music in the scenes which makes it feel like..a horrible soap opera.

-All of the voices are horrible, and Cap and Hawkeye even sound the same.

I don't expect much from this show.

#37 Edited by Veshark (8539 posts) - - Show Bio

@killemall Agreed. If Doom becomes a 'lackey' type villain as opposed to an 'equal partnership' type villain, I'll lose my &*^%.

@cattlebattle I think they chose Falcon because to the public at least, he's a relatively blank slate. They wanted a PoV character to kind of help introduce the team to the audience (even though there's already been an Avengers movie and a past animated series), though diversity definitely does play a role in the decision, I'm sure.

@zearing Yup, Thor is something they have to fix, and soon.

#38 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15947 posts) - - Show Bio