Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spector_rand: It absorbs kinetic energy, we see it from Cap's shield earlier in the movie, in fact cinematically, that proves what Thor did with Cap's shield, is exactly what he did with the city. People keep interpreting 'atomic reaction' as though he did something to the Vibranium to make it explode, no, anything interacting with atoms is an 'atomic reaction'

Super_Mod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_mod: yeah because saren is possibly the most biast mod and her claims are always true aren't they

Wait.....Saren is a woman?!?!

Super_Mod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@super_mod: I don't know that's debunking it. The atomic reaction is the reaction of Thors lightning. Its straight up says "doubling back"

If you read further down, he (or she...apparently) breaks it down more during their exchanges with a couple other users. It makes perfect sense bc it aligns with the statements that were made by both Stark as well as Joss Whedon.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By I_Am_Lightning

Its a tricky answer, because while yes, it IS Thor's power that vaporises Sokovia, he needs Iron Man to create the Heat Seal to double his energy back. So its focusing his attack. It doesn't really make much of a difference if we're discussing the strike in regards to a single person, as the destructive power is the same regardless. But if we're talking about whether he is a city buster or not, its different. From what I can gather, if said city remained on the ground, the energy from his lightning would have continued to spread out, making rampant destruction but NOT vaporising the city. This is essentially his Jotunheim feat, where he shatters the land mass, but does not disintegrate. So, depending on what counts as a city buster (my definition is totally destroy a city) Thor may/may not be, but the attack doesn't qualify him as one in my opinion as it was conditional. The strike will still demolish most characters in one blow, and its still unlikely that he will bust it out straight away, much less in the presence of civilians. He's used this sort of attack on roughly three occasions, each time there were no civilians.

With regards to the whole core thing, the core remained intact, you see it fall into the water. So it was not the destruction of the core that vaporised the city. The biggest part of the explosion occurs in the centre, nowhere near the engines. I assume (I stress, this is an assumption) that it is in the middle because this is where his energy doubles back upon itself, creating an atomic reaction. Now, as I said thats just an assumption but I think it makes sense.

@super_mod@thor_parker82@i_am_lightning wanted to see your thoughts on this, anything to add

Exactly what i said in my previous post. His power needs to be focused to destroy a city, just keep that in mind people :)

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just saw the movie yesterday, and Tony makes it clear as day that an atomic reaction would be needed to destroy the city. It defiintely wasn't done under Thor's own power. I don't know how people are getting this confused. At most, Tony said Thor would probably be able to destroy the vibranium drill/magnet/whatever but that would result in the city falling out of the sky and effectively doing Ultrons job for him, albeit on a much lower scale. The atomic reaction and the heat seal was needed to double back on the strike, amplify it and vaporize the city.

TheGreatUniter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By TheGreatUniter

Saren already debunked "Thor's city busting", I believe.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

@super_mod: yeah because saren is possibly the most biast mod and her claims are always true aren't they

DBZ sucks and is on par with war crimes

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no, anything interacting with atoms is an 'atomic reaction'

Jesus Christ, no. This is the wrongest thing anyone has ever written. What would even be the point of noble gases and non-reactive compounds then?

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saren, you do lose some credibility from bias.

Being a mod doesn't save you from that.

Me if Saren gets mad(he's alway mad about anime so this should help)
Skit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I interpreted it as being the same idea as hitting a gong creating a louder and more powerful sound than something else. The vitamin core amplified the shockwave. Had he just hit the ground at the center, it wouldn't have been as powerful.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Lightning is the unwanted stepchild of natural phenomena

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By I_Am_Lightning

@saren said:
@i_am_lightning said:

Lightning is the unwanted stepchild of natural phenomena

I baited a mod. Yay!

On a serious note, you're biased on a lot of stuff, Saren.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Substantiate this claim

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:
@i_am_lightning said:

Substantiate this claim

You're always hating on any anime or manga. Like, all of them.

A lot may have been a hyperbole, but you sure as hell are biased against anime/manga in general sense.

It's funny because manga and comics are essentialy the same.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was under the impression that they destroyed the machine that was generating the field that held the city together in the first place, and after destroying the core the city fell apart on its own. I think having Thor being a city buster would be tremendously inconsistent with his other feats in the cinematic universe.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:
@i_am_lightning said:

Substantiate this claim

A lot may have been a hyperbole, but you sure as hell are biased against anime/manga in general sense.

It is common knowledge that I am opposed to degeneracy

Don't know what this has to do with Age of Ultron

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren said:
@i_am_lightning said:
@saren said:
@i_am_lightning said:

Substantiate this claim

It is common knowledge that I am opposed to degeneracy

Don't know what this has to do with Age of Ultron

Oh no, i wasn't talking about AoU. Someone brought up that you're biased and i decided to comment. I alredy made my final verdict on the feat in the end of page 1.

Live in your hipocrisy.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Except we're talking about Vibranium, ya know, the thing that absorbs kinetic energy into it's atoms? Which could classify as an atomic reaction? Specifically endothermic. And it didn't blow up as is standard with an atomic reaction that people are trying to imply, if it had set off a reaction in the Vibranium all of it would've been blown to smithereens, when everything's falling into the water, you can see the giant beam falling down and it's totally fine, ergo, he supplied that energy, and it was then put out by the Vibranium to destroy the city. They even demonstrate this earlier in the film with Cap's shield, which is standard for a movie to do, display something on a small scale early on, then use it in a big way later Vibranium takes the energy you put into it and as shown, blasts it outwards, diverting it.

And logically, Friday even said Thor would just crack it in half, Iron Man kept it together to as he said, keep the atomic reaction doubling back, for it to double back, it would've needed to be produced by Thor in the first place, and since Friday said he'd just crack it in half, logically, Thor hitting it and transferring his energy inside it, is an atomic reaction, interacting with the atoms and transferring energy to them on an atomic level, Tony Stark just prevented the energy from escaping so the only way it had to go was out. That the ONLY logical explanation here. Unless Iron Man putting a Cap on it suddenly caused all of that energy to suddenly transmute into something else that caused what you're implying it was. Which is ridiculous to claim without really massive evidence, in this case a statement from Joss. If he could come out and say whether or not Thor was the one who supplied the energy. Until then, it's only logical that it was Thor who supplied the energy.

To be honest I'm not surprised you were right out of the gate with a way to disregard this feat.

Batmanfan1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slowdinson didn't bust a city

Avatar image for supermanwins465
SupermanWins465

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By SupermanWins465

@i_am_lightning said:
@saren said:
@i_am_lightning said:

Substantiate this claim

It's because chinese cartoons are for overweight NEET virgins.

mods = gods

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm surprised no one has posted this gif yet. Just gonna leave it here.
I'm surprised no one has posted this gif yet. Just gonna leave it here.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Saren

@conner_wolf said:

@saren: Except we're talking about Vibranium, ya know, the thing that absorbs kinetic energy into it's atoms? Which could classify as an atomic reaction? Specifically endothermic. And it didn't blow up as is standard with an atomic reaction that people are trying to imply, if it had set off a reaction in the Vibranium all of it would've been blown to smithereens, when everything's falling into the water, you can see the giant beam falling down and it's totally fine, ergo, he supplied that energy, and it was then put out by the Vibranium to destroy the city. They even demonstrate this earlier in the film with Cap's shield, which is standard for a movie to do, display something on a small scale early on, then use it in a big way later Vibranium takes the energy you put into it and as shown, blasts it outwards, diverting it.

And logically, Friday even said Thor would just crack it in half, Iron Man kept it together to as he said, keep the atomic reaction doubling back, for it to double back, it would've needed to be produced by Thor in the first place, and since Friday said he'd just crack it in half, logically, Thor hitting it and transferring his energy inside it, is an atomic reaction, interacting with the atoms and transferring energy to them on an atomic level, Tony Stark just prevented the energy from escaping so the only way it had to go was out. That the ONLY logical explanation here. Unless Iron Man putting a Cap on it suddenly caused all of that energy to suddenly transmute into something else that caused what you're implying it was. Which is ridiculous to claim without really massive evidence, in this case a statement from Joss. If he could come out and say whether or not Thor was the one who supplied the energy. Until then, it's only logical that it was Thor who supplied the energy.

Absorbing energy is not a reaction in itself. A chemical reaction is a process wherein chemical substances are transformed. Endothermic reactions are a subset of chemical reactions where predominantly heat energy is absorbed from the environment while the reaction happens, but you can absorb heat and/or energy without it constituting a chemical reaction. A rubber ball will absorb kinetic energy when you fling it at a wall, but that does not mean it is undergoing a chemical reaction. They tell you not to wear black shirts in the summer because black absorbs and radiates heat from ambient sunlight, but that does not mean the fabric of your shirt is undergoing a chemical reaction. Vibranium absorbing kinetic energy has very little to do with reactive properties and more to do with the physical aspects of it like rigidity and elasticity.

The example Skit gave about gongs is actually quite on point, because the amount of energy a gong releases when you strike it will be far greater than the amount of energy a brick wall releases when struck with the same amount of force, owing to the specific physical properties of the gong. Materials can enhance the quantity of energy released even with identical amounts of force depending on exactly how their physical properties react to kinetic energy, so the example with Cap's shield doesn't really make much of a difference as far as I can see. If anyone sees it differently, I'd like to talk about it.

I don't even know what that second paragraph is supposed to be, because half of it is just some weirdly incoherent babble about atoms and energy liberally interspersed with the word "logical" and variants thereof. I am very impressed by the many different ways you can slip "logical" into a paragraph, but that does not by itself actually mean anything, logically speaking. I'm just going to paste every line of Tony and Friday discussing the incident to eliminate any room for ambiguity, and also because I'm of the opinion that a script written by Joss Whedon would seem to serve the purpose described by the statement from Joss Whedon that you seek:

Friday: The anti-gravs are rigged to (fit?). Touch them and they go full reverse thrust. The city's not coming down soon.

Tony: It's part vibranium. If I get Thor to hit it....

Friday: It'll crack. That's not enough. The impact would still be devastating.

Tony: Maybe I could cap the other end. Keep the atomic action doubling back.

Friday: That could vaporize the city. And everyone on it.

And now I'm just going to paste whatever I wrote about the rest of it:

Tony needed Thor because he needed to crack the vibranium alloy and Thor was the only one strong enough to do so. He needed to cap the other end because all energy dissipates through mediums and changes into new forms of energy that could be useless depending on the purpose you intend it for. For instance, mechanical energy expended in the clapping of hands transforms into sound energy as it dissipates through air molecules. Sound energy is not as efficient or useful for kinetic purposes as mechanical energy is. To stop the energy from dissipating away, he created a heat seal to keep it reverberating within the boundaries of the city in its original destructive form.

The device was never intended to be destroyed, it was only intended to be cracked. Friday says that cracking it would be enough to produce a destructive release, albeit not one that would finish the job. That's why they needed the heat seal, to reuse the power released by cracking it. And again, an atomic reaction in your standard nuclear bomb for example will only need a microsecond to manifest, so the city vaporizing after Thor hits the vibranium is to be expected.

I don't know how you got that I was implying the energy was transmuted into something new, but then I did not understand one single word of that paragraph so the fault may lie on my end. I don't know why it would have set off a reaction throughout the vibranium, since we already know vibranium is a highly unreactive substance that takes a great deal of effort to change. All we know is that the energy provided was enough to crack the vibranium to a certain extent, not to set off a chain reaction throughout the entire structure.

So when you say "as is standard with an atomic reaction", you're not talking about uranium or plutonium, you're not even talking about atypical elements for such reactions like deuterium and boron, no, you're talking about a fictional element of uncertain natural qualities and trying to figure out what's "standard" for that. Generally speaking, I dislike these kinds of discussions because it involves attempting to apply real world science to the nonsensical pseudo-science that Hollywood devises to explain things, and there's always someone saying things like atomic reactions are anything involving atoms.

To be honest I'm not surprised you were right out of the gate with a way to disregard this feat.

Are you complimenting my ingenuity or casting aspersions on my integrity? If it's the latter, I feel obligated to point out that wolves are the Ku Klux Klan of the canine world.

If it's the former, wolves are a pure and noble breed that we must protect at all costs

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124  Edited By I_Am_Lightning

@i_am_lightning said:
@saren said:
@i_am_lightning said:

Substantiate this claim

It's because chinese cartoons are for overweight NEET virgins.

mods = gods

Like you?

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: Except it is impossible to create or destroy energy, energy is simply there, so either he caused an atomic explosion-unlikely, as the same energy sent into it as in the first place isn't going to make it explode-or, as you see in the gif, the energy of his hammer strike spreads through the city and breaks it apart. In fact, you don't even see a normal explosion going through the city, you see a bluish glow destroying the city, before an actual explosion takes place, this seems to point towards it not being a normal explosion. If you hit a gong, it's not going to have any more energy than the amount you put into it. If you drop a bouncy ball, the amount of energy it gets from falling, will never send it higher than where it fell from, fact. Ergo, if Thor put energy into the Vibranium, that's the energy you get out of it, unless he split atoms.

And look at the dialogue, he's capping it, keeping that same energy that would crack the Vibranium from doing so, sending that energy outward and around into the city, this means that Thor's energy was what went out into the city. You try to say that this couldn't be the case because they call it an atomic reaction, for all we know, Vibranium could react atomically to the energy put into it, as you stated yourself it's a fictional metal that can do whatever they want it to do. They haven't yet gone into how Vibranium works in the MCU so we could both be wrong in this situation. At this point we're just assuming whether it is or isn't Vibranium reacting atomically, or even if Joss just used incorrect terminology, maybe he just used the best words he had available to him, or he just jotted down something that made sense. We haven't been told anything about this so far.

We're both guessing, but considering it does absorb energy and then disperse it, as displayed earlier in the film, then it is the most likely the Vibranium is absorbing the energy, then releasing it, as the events earlier in the film point directly towards this. While the dialogue of 'atomic reaction' can be confusing, it's not totally debunking this theory, since right after that he states that he's just capping the energy, not adding anything to it, and capping something means he's containing it and stopping it from dispersing, as you even stated yourself. So if he was just containing the energy, where would this extra energy that you're talking about come from? It would just be the same energy that would've just cracked it originally. Thor was the only person to put the energy inside this thing, Iron Man simply capped the end, like dropping a mentos into a diet cock and then putting the lid on it, causing the mentos the expanding bubbles on itself and explode outwards instead.

Like you said, it's hard to apply science to psuedo-science, but by that reasoning, you could be just as wrong as I am, but for now, do you think it's more acceptable to simply take this feat for what it appears to be until we get more evidence to support either of our theories? We'd need evidence from Joss himself to really settle this, as I said before. So, shall we end this with, just taking it as-is and how it appears for now?

It's more the fact that literally a day after this movie came out, you were already thinking of a way to debunk the feat. I don't really know whether to be impressed at your dedication and research, or to raise a brow because you needed to disprove it so badly so soon after it came out. More leaning towards the former.

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Otherwise known as foreshadowing.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

antithetical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

I think it was all under his power but it shows an inconsistent range for thors Power in the mcu.

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't even a whole city.

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It wasn't even a whole city.

It's about the size of my city(maybe a little bit bigger)

@eyedcyou said:

I think it was all under his power but it shows an inconsistent range for thors Power in the mcu.

Not really. He did similar things before, just on smaller scale because he was holding back.

Imperfect_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@i_am_lightning: No it wasn't. It was the center of a city.

I'm talking about my city. The place i live in.

That being said, it ain't that big of a place, but still a city.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

@i_am_lightning: Well Thor shouldn't have been holding back when he fought Iron Man in the woods in the first film. He wasn't apart of the Avengers yet and was angry at them for interfering in Asgardian affairs. His lightning only over loaded Tony's suit, and he destroyed a city with it in Age of Ultron. Also, he could've solo'd the sh*t out of ultron when he (and Iron Man and Vision) were blasting him with their various beams towards the end. I understand it's for the sake of plot, but it seems like a better solution could've been made to solve the issue.

RisingBean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eyedcyou said:

Well Thor shouldn't have been holding back when he fought Iron Man in the woods in the first film. He wasn't apart of the Avengers yet and was angry at them for interfering in Asgardian affairs. His lightning only over loaded Tony's suit, and he destroyed a city with it in Age of Ultron. Also, he could've solo'd the sh*t out of ultron when he (and Iron Man and Vision) were blasting him with their various beams towards the end. I understand it's for the sake of plot, but it seems like a better solution could've been made to solve the issue.

I speculate Thor likely held back because he doesn't want to go around murdering humans and risking his relationship with Jane.

If Thor had gone all out on Ultron it's possible he would have killed or seriously harmed allied and any civilians in the area. That is one logical reason why I'd think Thor didn't go for his best lightning "haymaker"

asIsuspected

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All the haters!!! It's called a Godblast!!!! The feat is legit so ya all dc fanboys-marvel haters learn to live with it!!!! And yes MCU Thor striking power >>>>>>>>>>> MOS Superman striking power. Unfortunately, Thor's durability and strength is nowhere near MOS.

Spaceboy987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just hope he doesn't hold back, at all in Ragnarok

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

It was the Vibration from the Vibranium that destroyed the city..

KingOfKings1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

NO

Spaceboy987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141  Edited By Spaceboy987

Hold up

Isn't he durable as fuck since he stands in the middle of this massive explosion?

Confirmed that Thor can survive nukes?

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: After Thor cracked it and exploded the city.. Vibranium is just a metal that rebounds his power.

Avatar image for deactivated-613e82c4b95f9
deactivated-613e82c4b95f9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

@jayc1324 said:

@theacidskull: After Thor cracked it and exploded the city.. Vibranium is just a metal that rebounds his power.

Except the fact that the Vibranium was quite intact even after Thors blow.

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

This reminds of the OJ case

ironthor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By ironthor1

@conner_wolf: you said something about a quote from Joss Whedon on the feat, do you have a link to the website where i can find this?

In order to totally vaporise/disintegrate a city without a ''heat seal'', you would have to supply more energy than what is required to fully vaporise it because energy naturally dissipates outwards in all directions so not all of the energy would be used in destroying the atomic/molecular bonds that hold the city together as some of it would heat the air around, and some would cause destruction to areas surrounding the city. Therefore, yes Thor's strike had sufficient energy to vaporise the city but it is uncertain whether or not the strike would fully vaporise the city if there were no heat seal. However, it is arguable that the heat seal wasn't necessary to contain Thor's powers to vaporise the city but was only necessary to prevent the helicarrier's destruction. To conclude, it is correct to say that Thor provided enough energy to vaporise the city. But technically, it is possible that without the heat seal, he would not have fully vaporised the city but it is also possible that without the heat seal, he may have been able to vaporise an even greater land mass.

conner_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ironthor1: Oh no, I said we'd have to wait until Joss says something about it.

I like how you put it though.

AgentofChaos1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Slowsdinson can't lift a city nor bust a city

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers